It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What gets me about the "contact" claimers.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
denirohascome- Your point is a valid one. However, it's really only valid if the goal of the aliens would be the iconic landing on the white house lawn of spread peace and happiness (or to demand our enslaved obedience). If they are coming to Earth just for the sake of it, then they would probably talk to whoever they wanted, especially if they wanted to leave the Earth in an "undisturbed" state.

Look at it this way- The governments of the world do perform scientific tests and expeditions in the ocean for various scientific and military purposes. However, many unviersities and private individuals also send expeditons out into and under the ocean more or less for the hell of it. The Discovery Channel has been sending out film crews to harass sharks for over 20 years. How do we know that the "contactees" aren't just talking to the equivalent of an alien outdoorsmen who wants to have a chat with the first primitive yokel he sees? And what if they have a version of "take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints" that precludes them from openly contacting the world at large (as that would have a radical effect on future history)?

Now, I agree that the aliens probably wouldn't entrust the message on how to save the Earth to that creepy kid from the third grade, but the notion that aliens wouldn't want to contact "ordinary" people only really applies if you think they have some sort of plan for the Earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by denirohascome

My point is how could you know they had a genuine experience? In all human logic, it would make sense for us to not jump into things that are unknown. So IF they have a similar logic to us, then they would most likely not make contact with an ordinary human.

Then logically they must have a very good reason for attempting contact, correct?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

The problem is, the inhabitants aren't spokespeople for an entire world. They'll have the most biased opinion of all, because they don't know about the people on the other side of the world. Talking to leaders, elected by the general people, would most likely be their course of action (if they thought anything like we did)

You appear to be operating under the assumption that such travelers would seek some sort of dynamic interaction with us.

At any rate, I was responding to the actual question posed in the opening post.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Your point is a valid one. However, it's really only valid if the goal of the aliens would be the iconic landing on the white house lawn of spread peace and happiness (or to demand our enslaved obedience). If they are coming to Earth just for the sake of it, then they would probably talk to whoever they wanted, especially if they wanted to leave the Earth in an "undisturbed" state.

I don't completely understand this.

As I said in my example, If you were to visit a planet similar to ours but less advanced, would you initiate contact with anyone "just for the sake of it?" or would you observe these people before making contact with someone in charge?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I don't completely understand this.

As I said in my example, If you were to visit a planet similar to ours but less advanced, would you initiate contact with anyone "just for the sake of it?" or would you observe these people before making contact with someone in charge?

Why would I make contact with someone "in charge"? This primitive planet can offer me nothing in the way of trade, either in goods or in information. The only reason I would be visiting such a primitive planet would be for scientific study of a primitive society or just to expand my personal knowledge. In which case, revealing yourself to the society at large would be about the worst thing you could do.

Why do you think an alien race would want to make "official", global contact with humanity at large?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

You appear to be operating under the assumption that such travelers would seek some sort of dynamic interaction with us.

OF course it would be dynamic. Again, this is only my assumption based on the way we (the human race) think as a whole. We keep dynamic interaction with "lesser" beings on Earth, so in accordance with somewhat similar human logic, they would do the same with us. (But with our leaders of course)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

OF course it would be dynamic. Again, this is only my assumption based on the way we (the human race) think as a whole. We keep dynamic interaction with "lesser" beings on Earth, so in accordance with somewhat similar human logic, they would do the same with us. (But with our leaders of course)

And therein lies your problem....

When have humans ever exhibited logical thought. Look around you; see much logic? Mostly emotions, gut instinct and crazy thought processes of monkeys that can talk. What selfrespecting spacedude wouldn't enjoy that kind of action.

Technology doesn't necessarily translate into logical thought ex. nuclear energy into weapons; logic? not to me. Insanity perhaps.

s&F

[edit on 17-3-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I know I'm old and set in my ways (and thoughts) and it seems I'm in the company of another, albeit one of radically differing views. I see no logic at all in your interpretation of 'human logic.'

I suppose any interaction at all could be technically labeled dynamic; however, from my own point of view, it would make tremendously more sense that contact should lean sharply toward the static end of the scale - i.e., the 'ordinary' inhabitant.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join