It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've decided to put an extra large pizza in my B.O.B. and possibly a double cheeseburger.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

Hey, my web browser is really messed up and I can't view user profiles on youtube... can you post a couple of the videos from that page that you like the best...

(or I could just wait until I go to work tomorrow.)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
#1.) You don't need a huge knife, just a small one.

I would recommend a masheti, two or three maybe.

#2.) buy a pellet gun, and paint the orange tip black...

A BB gun? You might as well plan for two or three days of food, that's about as long as you'll last IF you find yourself in a situation where you'll need a weapon .. a real weapon.

#3.) You do not need Binoculars!!!

Night vision binoculars, that would be better.

#4.) Really think about what you are going to need the most... FOOD!!!

True, if your only weapon is a BB gun. False, it the hungry ones you bump into show no mercy.

#5.) Again, this isn't a camping trip.

Why not? I've even included emergency survival entertainment items in my BORV (bug out RV). DVDs, video games, stuff to make s'mores, volleyball net and ball, Frisbee, etc., all necessary items to avoid becoming bored.

$6.) I hope some of you were smart enough to pack extra clothes.

Who needs cloths after society collapses? Well okay, during the winter, sure, but in the summer?

No need to make survivalism an unpleasant thing. It will be just like a camping vacation if you plan it as such. I'll have to make a video and show ya'll how it really should be done.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Good luck with keeping that BOB in your car. Unless you sleep in it don't be surprised when you wake for work and find someone has had the contents of your boot/trunk away.

Oh, and while we're here, good luck with your car "Bugging Out" when the roads/highways are all jammed with all the other refugees.

The reading material isn't such a bad idea, it can always be recycled as tinder or toilet paper.

I don't wish to sound like a noisy negativist but sometimes you have to use what you have. I have no car, so I have to improvise. I live in a country where gun laws are extremely prohibitive so again, I have to make the best of my lot.

I agree that food is an excellent priority. Now, a BOB is generally accepted as only being required for around 72 hours. In that instance you only need food for 72 hours. Anything else is more likely an INCH (I'm never coming home) bag. In that case, fill your boots. All I'm saying is assess the situation. What may work for you in Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas won't work in Berlin, Germany or the Mongolian Steppe.

Incidentally, as to energy "candy" you can't go wrong with Kendal Mint Cake. If it's good enough to be eaten on the top of Everest, it's good enough for your BOB.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

I agree that food is an excellent priority. Now, a BOB is generally accepted as only being required for around 72 hours. In that instance you only need food for 72 hours. Anything else is more likely an INCH (I'm never coming home) bag. In that case, fill your boots. All I'm saying is assess the situation. What may work for you in Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas won't work in Berlin, Germany or the Mongolian Steppe.

Well, people don't need fishing equipment if they have to get out for 72 hours. Nor do they need Binoculars.

If you plan on getting out of civilization for 72 hours, and the returning... you might want to rethink waht you have in your bag. All you really need is a blanket, a pillow, food, water, and few other things.

If I were to make a survival kit... it would be to prepare for the end of civilization and my home must be evacuated... In this case, you should have a kit that weighs damn near 75 lbs. Half of it should be to get you by for two weeks, and the other half should be used to get you by in the woods.

And as far as using your car to evacuate... No, just No.
You'de be better off traveling on foot,... but a great option would be a motorcycle.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

Originally posted by Nirgal

(1)Well, people don't need fishing equipment if they have to get out for 72 hours. Nor do they need Binoculars.

(2)If you plan on getting out of civilization for 72 hours, and the returning... you might want to rethink waht you have in your bag. All you really need is a blanket, a pillow, food, water, and few other things.

(3)If I were to make a survival kit... it would be to prepare for the end of civilization and my home must be evacuated... In this case, you should have a kit that weighs damn near 75 lbs. Half of it should be to get you by for two weeks, and the other half should be used to get you by in the woods.

(4)And as far as using your car to evacuate... No, just No.
You'de be better off traveling on foot,... but a great option would be a motorcycle.

Aah another expert who knows what everyone should do

(1) BOBS are generally designed for a mimimum of 72 hours so binos and fishing kit may be needed, you clearly have no ideaabout this subject.

(2) And if things do not work out as expected? just like in Australia three weeks ago, people told they would be able to return home within two days, some are now still away from home 2 1/2 weeks later!!!

(3) So you are making comment about steps other people have wisely taken , but you have not done for yourself !!!!. you clearly know nothing about anything, how is a child or elderly grand parent going to carry 75 lb packs, and of course what if like billions of people you dont live near any woods, You are talking a load of crap.

(4) So are car is of no use in ANY given situation, but walking is better, So families say from the arid areas of the US or Australian, or the empty areas of Britain should ignore the empty roads and walk with 75 lb packs???

Pray tell me how the average British, austalian or american family ( including their 75 lb packs you insist they have all get onto a single motorcycle ???

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
Why does everyone call these things "Bug-Out Bags?" I think that is one of the corniest things ever.

It is called a "survival kit."

As someone else said, it comes from the military..Bug Out, as in get your crap and get out now.

I have a survival kit, but I also have a BoB. The Bag is if you must go now with minimal stuff. The survival kit is bigger and heavier but has much more in it. It's for if you have at least some time to get out.

If I had enough time to get out while the roads were still viable, the BoB and kit would go in the car and I would have a crapload of stuff. If I thought the roads were impassable, I would have to make do with what I could carry on my back in the BoB.

But to stay on topic, I've yet to equip either one with a pizza.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I just added 3 pints of ice cream to my BOB. Hope it doesnt warm up anytime soon.

NR made some good points which is often the case, one other thing here. 20 lbs of food in your sack? Are you kidding me? Take some weight out and learn what is around you man. I carry about 3 to 4 lbs of rations with me, that, some salt/pepper and other small food and water enhancers. Everything else is designed to create shelter or capture/kill food. Yes, I carry a fishing kit and a gun to do this.

20 lbs of food will last you a few days, but then what? All you have are some empty wrappers that you will find of little use to procure more foodstuffs. Load your pack with items that can get you what you need long term. Stocking food in a pack is a short term solution.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
Why does everyone call these things "Bug-Out Bags?" I think that is one of the corniest things ever.

It is called a "survival kit."

No you are wrong, a BOB, EDC,Good bag, INCH Bag etc are completely seperate things to survival kits, If you read a few threads in depth first you would have learned that fact. Survival KITs are just items found in planes and life rafts to help keep you alive over a few days, BOB are an integral part of your life, they contain everything you need to carry as in reasonable comfort until you can access your cache or things get back to normal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join