It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've decided to put an extra large pizza in my B.O.B. and possibly a double cheeseburger.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I don't care if it spoils, I need my pizza and burgers in order to survive!!!

Just a small joke...

But seriously, I want to have a general discussion about these BOB's. What situation do you think could happen that would leave you only seconds to grab what you can and leave? If such a situation were to occur, you're probably going to die anyway...

unless...

You keep your BOB in your car.

I'm just trying to stock my house up with food, water and medicine. However, I've been looking at some of these BOB's on youtube, and I can't help but think how many useless items you guys might be carrying.

Common mistakes that I'm seeing...

#1.) You don't need a huge knife, just a small one.

#2.) without a gun, your BOB is almost useless. You will get robbed if you are the only man with a BOB out in the woods... because keep in mind, if you have to bug out, so do thousands of other people. If you do not have a gun, don't want a gun, or cannot afford one... buy a pellet gun, and paint the orange tip black... I know several people in Mexico that have been robbed by poor mexicans with fake guns...

#3.) You do not need Binoculars!!!

#4.) Really think about what you are going to need the most... FOOD!!! The amount of food you have in your BOB isn't enough. Some of these BOB's on youtube have only two or three days worth of food. You need to have atleast two or three weeks supply.

#5.) Again, this isn't a camping trip. Some of these items in your BOB should be replaced with food, more food, and some medicine.

$6.) I hope some of you were smart enough to pack extra clothes.

Anyway... I just want people to watch some of these videos on youtube..

Both of these bags could use alot of work... an alot more food.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Saturday night, if I ge back from the gun show in time, I'm going to eat a three pound hamburger and a pou d of fries, and I'm going to try to do in less than 18 minutes. If I can do it, I'm putting 2 orders in my BOB. I figure me and my wife can survive for a week on that.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Why does everyone call these things "Bug-Out Bags?" I think that is one of the corniest things ever.

It is called a "survival kit."

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
Why does everyone call these things "Bug-Out Bags?" I think that is one of the corniest things ever.

Good point... I'll never use that terminology again.

Infact, I think I might need to edit my entire OP just because you brought up such a good point.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

Despite your "feeling" on what it is called.... they all lead to the same effect.. survival.

When the "SHTF" situation happens... the last thing on your mind will be what you named your "provision bag".

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

The idea about a replica gun is a good one. Because I've spent some time hospitalized for mental health, I'm unable to own a real gun, so a blank firing replica would be perfect for my BOB, just in case.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I don't care if it spoils, I need my pizza and burgers in order to survive!!!

You could put these in your BOB.

Packaged right in the packaging used for MREs and irradiated they would last for 3-10 years before they got stale.

This is how MREs are done.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wearable Mobile Emergency Survival Kit

WMESK whats in your WMESK? Did you forget your WMESK My WMESK weighs 47 lbs.
What kind of Pizza did you fill your WMESK with?

Nah....

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

The idea about a replica gun is a good one. Because I've spent some time hospitalized for mental health, I'm unable to own a real gun, so a blank firing replica would be perfect for my BOB, just in case.

I'm not big on guns... in fact I hate them... but it's a good idea to have one in these uncertain times. If you are ging to use replica gun, just make sure you use it wisely... If you point it at someone, you might get shot at.

If you are carrying your SURVIVAL KIT and there are several people around you, and a group of people approach you with bad intentions, you might just want to show them that you are carrying a weapon... (just don't point it at them unless you feel it is completly nessasary.)

As soon as you get the respect you desrve, and they back up a little bit... just try to get as far away from them as possible.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
nothing in a BOB is useless..Id rather have it and not need it,than need it and not have it..
Some thing I have in mine,I have NEVER seen in anyones else bag is a golf tee..What do you think I could do with this? I can rattle off 5 things without thinking..If I could empty my entire junk drwl into my bag I would,but it would be too noisey..

Some people live near a nuke plant..If you hear the sirens sound,you better get going quick,if you dont have family,or money for a hotel,motel out of the danger zone,what can you do except rely on what you have in your BOB..

Same goes for an airborn release of chemicals,infection,viruses..People downwind will have time to get out town to safety..Once again to the second part of the above statement...

2-3 days worth of minumum sustainment for each person in your family,party,group is the norm..If something serious like that happend after 3-4 days the Gaurd or Fema ''should'' be stationed for displaced people with food,shelter exct..

I live in southern Jersey and take into consideration NY and DC..If anything like a NBC attack on either city would occur,with air currents,I would expect our state to be ''locked down'' from inbound food deliverys..So I keep 2- 5 gallon buckets at the ready filled with mac and cheese,top ramen and canned goods..If I gotta evac quick from the house grabbing two buckets isnt going to slow me down much..If whatever happens close and no to to boogie I'm prepared for anything short of a nuke blast,even then my basement is fortified pretty good..

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

Or a Bail-out-bag.

The term 'bug-out' is used in the British Army when a location a bunch of soldiers is at is compromised and they have to exfiltrate it immediately.
I had to do this twice in training. You never knew when the instructors were going to do it exactly. Usually at 0200 hrs. :O

The thing was you'd have all your camp sht deployed (bivi, doss bag, bungees etc) and you'd have to ram it all into the bergen quick-smart and be on the trail with your rifle and webbing, plus bergen.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
First and foremost.
Knowledge, common sense and adaptability are the most important survival tools and are the "BOB" (love the term by the way
)that you carry with you everywhere.

You have to drive far to get away from any sort of civilization especially in the eastern states.
Even driving 2 hours away you can still find development.
This is beneficial when seeking replenishment of supplies.
Keep this in mind though, others will know this too.

You are FoRKeD if you cannot drive, as in aggressively.
You have a 2-3k lb killing machine on wheels, learn how to use it right.
Before the SHTF, have the auto ready to go at any time.
Fill the trunk securely with necessities, and do not divulge this info.
If you cannot help but come across anyone be wary of what you say.
People can be F@*$(ks.

YOU MUST DO WHAT YOU MUST TO SURVIVE.
REST ASSURED, OTHERS WILL AT YOUR EXPENSE.

When the SHTF, all bets are off!!

By the way, I have a box of Cadbury eggs in my BOB.

Did me mention that I love the term BUG OUT BAG?

Oh yeah !!!

[edit on 16/3/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well I saw your video about your BOB and I had some questions about it.

First, you carry a stove but I didnt see a vessel to heat water in. Also, do you carry any water purifiers like either some powder that you dissolve in water to make it drinkable or a physical pump that you can use ? I'm asking this because one of the basic requirements for survival is clean water.

Second, I didnt notice any toilet paper in your kit. Even though you think you can rough it, in the wild a couple of rolls of toilet paper and a few chemical toilet bags will be a god send .

Third, I also didnt see if you were carrying a map or a gps or even a compass in your video. I would imagine those would be vital and essential things. Not to mention a wind-up shortrange radio. Most of these "bug-out" situations will involve you bugging out from your home either on foot or in a vehicle to a particular destination. Should you have to leg it to some place you arent sure about, a map with a compass or a gps would be a life saver. A shortrange radio would also come in handy as in times of great catastrophes the authorities will often give directions on the radio if it you cut off and awaiting food/medical drops etc.

Fourth, another thing I think would be quite usefull would some kind of life preserve built into your pack because with all that weight on your back, even if you are a good swimmer, in a strong current or in a flood, you could be overwhelmed by the water.

Lastly, I wanted to ask about the knife you showed on the video. How come you decide to go for one without a serrated edge ? It is much easier to cut thick things with like meat etc not to mention will help you cut plastic, metal etc a bit better than a straight edge blade would.

These are just some thoughts that I had after watching your first video.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

In one of those videos I posted... the guy had a small fishing kit, as if he was prepared to live of the land... but he only had like a days worth of food?

Look I understand there are some situations where you might need to grab your bag and go, but how likely is this? And if a nuclear blast does happen... I'm dropping my BOB in order run faster.

I think in most situations if you have to leave your home, you will have some time to get ready. If a bioogical attack happens, do you want to go outside? Or would the safe thing to do is duct tape your windows and doors and stay inside.?

And if you have to evacuate... I'd want to have two weeks fod supply in my bag... Just in case I need to save a life or two.

Now, like I said... the situation I'm picturing is a great depression, food crisis, or complete black out of the city that lasts months.

I say you get your house prepared with a power genertor, possibly a year's supply of food, and a few guns to protect your stash.

Also, the 2-3 day theory is not what I'm picturing... I could see a senario where people could be stranded for months, posssibly years, and looking to avoid FEMA, or FEMA could be overwhelmed with the massive chaos that it could take a long period of time to realize that they need the UN troops to help out.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by Diplomat

Despite your "feeling" on what it is called.... they all lead to the same effect.. survival.

When the "SHTF" situation happens... the last thing on your mind will be what you named your "provision bag".

This is true, but right now we are not out in the woods with our "B.O.B.'s," we are posting on an internet forum. Martial law or a catastrophe could break out tomorrow, or it might not happen for another 2 years. So in the mean time I just think people should call it what it really is, a survival kit. But who am I to tell people what to do? Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

these are all great points... and good questions...

but those are just some examples of survival kits that I was criticizing. Those aren't my videos.

If I were to make a BOB, here is what I would include.

2 liter bottle of water.
20 lbs of food minimum
__________________________ (the rest is not as important)

gun
flash light
lighter / fire
2 pairs extra clothes.
small knife.
$100 cash (fives and tens)
a tarp or very small tent with a blanket.
first aid / medicine
sun screen and bug spray.
alcohol
Bible.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The guy in the video probably sacrificed ready made food for a fishing kit to save weight..Less weight the farther,quicker you can hoof it..I know I could survive in the pines with out much more than a plastic tarp,fire starter,paracord and a nife if I have too..Do I want to hell no..You need to find your comfort level..If you need your burgers and pizza thats fine,but it takes the room in your bag for something more usefull your just gonna Sh^t out in a day..

And if fema does the whole martial law,kill trains..Well thats plan B..I'll show em how a pissed of Ranger(ex) is capable of defending his castle..

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

All I'm saying is you better throw a few extra protien bars in your bag. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to live off the land, you are going to wish you brought that extra package of food.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
do you know what the rule of 3's is?

some say 4's but better to prepare for 3's..

Its not a riddle,but fact to take into consideration before packing your bag for isolated hiding,evasion,hold up

I'm not breaking your stones about your post,I would suggest on watching the video channel i posted in this section under Higher Education for Woods Skills i think

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am struggling to keep food on the table already but have managed to throw about 25 MREs, and found some "survival candy" from a army surplus site.

Anyone heard of survivaal candy? Do they work?

They were 4 dollars for 100 so I bought them. They might be enuff to get me by 1 more day.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join