It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy Magic Trick?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Excuse the title but I don't no how to make sense of what happened. I'm more of a lurker of a poster but when I remembered this experience, I just had to get input on this - it makes my heart race just to think of it.

About a year ago I was at a good friends house at the time and at work she would rave about this guy staying with her for a few day. "He had special talents" "He can tie his shoelaces by just flicking his foot and all that". I know for a fact that one of his 'tricks' was an illusion, but I never saw the shoelace thing, she did. Anyway the fake trick was 'smushing' a quarter into a way smaller version of itself. He just used slight of hand and a fake small quarter.

But there is one part I truly cannot get out of my head. This guy took me into the kitchen and handed me a piece of paper, telling me to write a name - any name. I think he said it should be special to me. So I went to the other end of the kitchen, covered the paper and wrote Timmah. It was the most outrageous thing I could think of, an nickname for an old friend. My friend had NO idea about the nickname because I've never mentioned it to her. If I did in passing she had no idea that was the name I put on the paper.

So heres the really weird part. Before he came back near me he told me to hid the paper. So I folded it up really tiny and stuffed it in my back pocket. He then proceeds to 'focus' on me and starts rubbing his arm, then starts making noises like he was in pain. As he's rubbing the letter T is clearly welted into his arm - almost like a burn - then I proceeds to follow.

I figured maybe he could of used a tac or something to scratch his arm, but it did look like a burn. (I asked him later how long it would stay there before I left and I think he said a few hours or day)

Now the really, really weird part. He says something like "I'm getting a name Tim? No its spelled different. "T-I-M-M-A-H. Is that it? Timmah?"

Needless to say I was floored. There was no way for him to see the piece of paper, and my friend had no way of telling him the name, or seeing the paper either.

I vaguely remember him mentioning how it wasn't a big deal, how he was trained, or went to a magic school or something. It was a year ago so the details of the after conversation are a little blurry.

So my questions to you are: Is this possible? Did I get faked in some way? I have a pretty open mind so I think it really is possible, somehow, but I know things are sometime too good to be true, since I already knew about his fake quarter trick. Some insight would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other details I'd be more than happy to help out

*takes breathe* Wow long post XD

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wow, great story. You see these magic act's on tv and you always think in the back of your mind "Oh yeah, it was probs a set up" but if what you said trully happened, That's crazy. No explanations here, but a star and a flag for your efforts,

Cherry

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I know!!! It was so crazy! I always thought tv magic was kinda fake. I just wish I could figure it out, if there is an explanation that is. Thats why I decided to post it here

*squeel* A star and flag for my first post! Thank you!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PunkAtomic

hidden camera in the kitchen maybe? I dunno, but since you mention that the quarter trick was obviously sleight of hand, I see no reason that this one couldn't be similar.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight

hidden camera in the kitchen maybe? I dunno, but since you mention that the quarter trick was obviously sleight of hand, I see no reason that this one couldn't be similar.

Yeah... except for , maybe you know THE BURNING OF THIS GUYS SKIN!! lol. I"m sure there is an explination... not one that i can think of lol.

Cherry

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Effect: The spectator writes a name on a page in a notepad. The spectator then tears out the page, crumples it up and places it in an ashtray. The paper is set alight and the magician then rubs the ashes on his arm, on which the name written by the spectator, mysteriously appears.

Preparation: You will need a small notepad, pen, ashtray, lighter and a small piece of soap or wax.

Method: The spectator is asked to write either a name or favourite anything of their choice on a notepad. They are then asked to tear out the page, crumple it up and place it in the ashtray. The magician then sets the paper alight. At this point the magician should take the notepad from the spectator. If looked at closely, it should be possible to see an imprint of the spectators written word on the top page of the notepad. ( It should not be made obvious that the magician has been looking at the notepad..) Then subtly, perhaps by using a little misdirection, the word should be written on the magicians arm by himself using the soft soap or wax. ( Again, this action should not be visible or obvious to anyone.)

The magician can then take some of the ashes and rub them on his arm where the ash will stick to the soap or wax and the name become visible to the astonishment of the audience.

This is a great trick but depends o the magician creating an atmosphere with an entertaining routine and patter about black magic to enhance the trick and create misdirection to allow himself an opportunity to pull off the trick.

Here is the website this quote is from.

It is a very neat trick, but it is just a trick. This is a variation of the trick you described. You can google it and find more about this trick I am sure.

magictricksexposed.blogspot.com...

[edit on 16-3-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
OH cool, that's awseome!!! There we go, problem solved!! well done!!

Cherry

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight

Doubtful :/ My friend had barley lived there for a month, and I don't think she would install one to trick a friend. Plus no finances for one lol. Thanks for the input though.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Effect: The spectator writes a name on a page in a notepad. The spectator then tears out the page, crumples it up and places it in an ashtray. The paper is set alight and the magician then rubs the ashes on his arm, on which the name written by the spectator, mysteriously appears.

Preparation: You will need a small notepad, pen, ashtray, lighter and a small piece of soap or wax.

Method: The spectator is asked to write either a name or favourite anything of their choice on a notepad. They are then asked to tear out the page, crumple it up and place it in the ashtray. The magician then sets the paper alight. At this point the magician should take the notepad from the spectator. If looked at closely, it should be possible to see an imprint of the spectators written word on the top page of the notepad. ( It should not be made obvious that the magician has been looking at the notepad..) Then subtly, perhaps by using a little misdirection, the word should be written on the magicians arm by himself using the soft soap or wax. ( Again, this action should not be visible or obvious to anyone.)

The magician can then take some of the ashes and rub them on his arm where the ash will stick to the soap or wax and the name become visible to the astonishment of the audience.

This is a great trick but depends o the magician creating an atmosphere with an entertaining routine and patter about black magic to enhance the trick and create misdirection to allow himself an opportunity to pull off the trick.

Here is the website this quote is from.

It is a very neat trick, but it is just a trick.

magictricksexposed.blogspot.com...

Er.. not quite. I didn't write it on a notepad, like I said I covered a piece of paper and folded it so it wouldn't be see through. No burning involved because the paper was in my pocket. I can see where the wax would come in, but I don't remember candles or anything.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Yeah like I said. There are variations of that trick. More than one way to do it. If you google it you will no doubt find your answer.

That is the basics behind it and it is the original version of that trick.

If I recall correctly there is a way for him to have seen what you wrote and using distraction he wrote it on his hand using soap or magicians wax when you couldnt see.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's probably a variation on that trick, and since he said he'd studied magic for a while, i wouldn't be surprised if he'd made it up. With Magicians you really need to watch everylittle movement not the big one's, that's where they get you!! lol

Cherry

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherryDuck
It's probably a variation on that trick, and since he said he'd studied magic for a while, i wouldn't be surprised if he'd made it up. With Magicians you really need to watch everylittle movement not the big one's, that's where they get you!! lol

Cherry

That is exactly what it is. The link I provied is the original version of that trick and I have seen many variations of that trick before. This is no doubt another one.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm googeling it but all the variations I'm finding are still involving ashes. Thank you for the link though, but I can guarantee there was no way for him to know that dang name! I made sure of it!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
For anyone interested here is a video of the original version of this trick.

it is pretty cool, I must say.

oh wait never mind. I posted the wrong video and now I cant find the one I was going to post....

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PunkAtomic
I'm googeling it but all the variations I'm finding are still involving ashes. Thank you for the link though, but I can guarantee there was no way for him to know that dang name! I made sure of it!

Oh there is a way. Its magic man!

To be honest I can not tell you exactly the way, but the trick that was perfomred on you is a variation of the trick I linked to you.

Peace and love buddy!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

To be honest I can not tell you exactly the way, but the trick that was perfomred on you is a variation of the trick I linked to you.

Peace and love buddy!

I guess your right, but I made super sure he was all the way at the other end of the kitchen when I hid away the paper, and there was no fire involved =[ It could of been something like the voodoo ash trick, but that thing about seeing the name or an imprint is what got me. The whole time I thought it would just be bogus because I didn't really believe in this guy, so I was super careful.

I'm gonna keep googling away =D See what I can find.

That first video was pretty sweet though.

link   

Peace and love buddy!

I guess your right, but I made super sure he was all the way at the other end of the kitchen when I hid away the paper, and there was no fire involved =[ It could of been something like the voodoo ash trick, but that thing about seeing the name or an imprint is what got me. The whole time I thought it would just be bogus because I didn't really believe in this guy, so I was super careful.

link   

Peace and love buddy!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Peace and love buddy!

eta: I knew ATS would be the best bet for my questions

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

ha yea it was but it wasnt the one I meant to post and now I can find the one that I did meant to post!

UGH.

Atleast you are headed in the right direction for how your exact trick worked. It should only be a matter of time. If I find anything I will come here and post it for you.

As I always say,(well actually I have never in my life said this) When in doubt, ask ATS!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join