It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live in Canada, which firearm should I purchase?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hello all,

I live in a bit of a shady part of Toronto. I am looking for a rifle that i might be able to purchase under $1000, preferably closer to $500 (I barely was able to convince my girlfriend to allow a gun in the apartment, let alone take a big financial hit).

I believe there is a 5 round capacity allowance. Just wondering if any of you had any good ideas for a legal (obviously) firearm for home protection.

Lastly, I am just looking for the final step in procuring the safest environment possible for the girlfriend and myself (gun issues are a little touchy up north).

-Space_Fetus

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
for $500, the AK-47 variants are the best quality in that price range. you might find an extremely crappy AR-15 for $500, but a really nice AK-47/74 for $500.

if you were really trying to spend $1000, id look into getting a Heckler & Koch G36. Or if you can't afford that, get an H&K G3, the forerunner to the G36. Here's a picture with both guns .. the G3 is the top one, the G36 is the bottom one.

www.hkpro.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well if it is homedefence a rifle would,t be my choice. You might hit the target and penetrate thriugh and through the wall behind and might hurt you neighbors or your girlfriend.
I think most people go with a shotgun for home defence, I have a 12 gauge 500A Mossberg. easy to take apart and clean, easy to shoot. and hundreds of acceroies for it. you can get one in the states for about $150 $200. Not sure about Canada.
A shotgun is less likely to over penetrate. Just to get the wheels turning in the thread

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
As an apartment dweller, a rifle is probably a bad idea. The bullet is just going to zip right through a home intruder and the next half-dozen walls, too. Obviously, with neighbors, that's undesirable.

My advice would be to shop for a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun. You still have to worry about overpenetration, even with buckshot, but not to the extent you have to worry with a rifle. Not being a Canadian, I have no idea what the laws are up there, so as always, check your local laws before buying.

As an added bonus, you're probably more likely to be able to hear again one day if you discharge a shotgun indoors. I don't think I'd want to try that with a rifle.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This is what the Criminal Code of Canada states, for anyone who might be from Canada and are wondering about the laws.

From the Q&A:

Q. What are the different classes of firearms?

There are three classes of firearms: non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.

Restricted firearms include:

- handguns that are not prohibited;

- semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm
(about 18.5 inches);

- rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm (about 26 inches)

Prohibited firearms include:

- handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;

- rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm (about 18 inches) or their overall length is less than 660 mm (about 26 inches);

- full automatics;

- converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and
firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.

I am looking into how hard it is to acquire a restricted firearms license.

-Space_Fetus

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Space_Fetus]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Although I'm not a shotgun fan at all, since handguns are a mite difficult to acquire up their and shotguns seem to be generally unprohibited, I'd go with some sort of semi-auto 12 gauge. The other posters are right about the penetration issues, and shotguns have stopping power without going to far. They can be had for only a few hundred around here, and I would expect no higher than 500 canadian for a good model.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
If your a city dwellor in need of a long gun then at least pick one of carbine or bullpup layout, you dont need something long and unweildy in a city.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
AK's are prohibited here in Canada, unless you happened to own one before the ban and were 'grandfathered' in. Other, similar rifles, are fine, but it's really the AK's 'image' that killed it here in Canada.

Your best bet would be to go with a 12ga shotgun. Non-restricted and fairly cheap.

If you've got a clean criminal record and such getting a restricted license shouldn't be too hard. There's an $80 processing fee.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Monger]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
One of the most unobtrusive, most reliable, most effective rifles short of a semi-automatic is the Remington Pump. The action allows fast follow-up shots, the design is proven over decades, it's not finicky about what ammo it feeds, and accuracy out to 200 meters is excellent.

They're cheap, reliable, and you can choose a number of calibers, of which the .308 is the common round with the military. This past Christmas, I bought four for my kids Bug-Out-Bags to give them a bit of reliable firepower.

Much faster than a bolt action, and doesn't raise eyebrows like a semi-automatic. You can re-stock it, add a scope, and own anything out to four hundred yards with a suitable stable platform.

Value, performance, reliability, and pure function.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have a clean criminal record, not even a parking ticket. But, I was a bit overwhelmed my first year of university and went to a doc to talk about it. He said i had clinical depression (which wasn't the case) but still forced me to see a psychiatrist so they could put me on anti-depressants (which i didn't take, aced my mid-terms and felt fine) I wonder if that would still be on my file.

Either way, I am very greatful for all the suggestions! I am new to the whole world of firearms purchase. Thanks!

-Space_Fetus

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here's my take on your situation. I agree with th others about a shotgun. They are dependable and devastating. You can also buy some mods to make as tactical as you want or leave it stock.

The second part of the equation is you girlfriend. I would seriously consider purchasing her a Ruger 10/22 rifle or a Ruger .22 pistol...then take her shooting.

Once she sees how things work with firearms, it changes minds about personal defense quickly.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have to agree with Realboogyman on the Mossberg. The 500 comes with a hunting barrel and a tactical barrel.

If you're planning for a sitX scenario, then i have to agree with Northern Raider on a compact or bullpup assault style weapon. The Ruger mini-14 is a good choice for around $600.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jmurman

great post about the 22 -years ago i took a lady friend out to shoot at the gun club ,we took the 338 mag.,270 .,357 mag. pistol and 38 ,12 ga. 410 ga. and a ruger 10/24 .she watched us shoot the big bores she wanted no part of them, she tried the pistols and did not like the kick 12 gauge no way -410 not to bad she said.22 was like heaven to her -no kick no bang and easy as hell to use she went from the rotary clip to 50 shoot clips in minutes ,she asked about the difference between the guns so i explained it to her ,semi auto in 22 is the cats meow to women as she went through 2000 rds so fast i thought that the barrel would start to melt -but what a # eating grin afterwards.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by picrat

It all depends on the woman i guess. I took my step-daughter out shooting when she was 10 and she shot my Ruger P-95 9mm with +p ammo. She was very accurate with it and loved to shoot it. In one session she went through 300 rounds. And with the +p ammo firing it rapid fire at a paper target at 25 yards she put 8 of 10 rounds in the black.

Oh and it was the first time she had ever shot a handgun.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
A shotgun. Double barreled, pumps are good, but the less moving parts the better. an over and under is also a good bet. should you bug out.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I live in Canada too, and I've been looking into this for a while.

If you find out exactly where you can take a firearm safety course to get your P.A.L, let me know... because I've looked online a lot and I can't find anything. It seems like in each city there are independant teachers but there isn't even government offices or anything, it's kind of sketchy. I even looked in the phone book. The government really doesn't want you getting a firearm license I guess. I might just go to a gun store and ask.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I live in Canada too, and I've been looking into this for a while.

If you find out exactly where you can take a firearm safety course to get your P.A.L, let me know... because I've looked online a lot and I can't find anything. It seems like in each city there are independant teachers but there isn't even government offices or anything, it's kind of sketchy. I even looked in the phone book. The government really doesn't want you getting a firearm license I guess. I might just go to a gun store and ask.

[edit on 3/17/2009 by Yarcofin]

Hey Yarcofin,

I am going to go down to a sporting hunting store this weekend to do just that. I want to get the info from a person first before I start calling government agencies and (possibly) putting up redflags with my name. Big city gun ownership, I think, is way more of a no-no than country living. It seems as though we would need a restricted license to own anything worth while. I'll let you know, or, if you could do the same for me if you get any info.

Cheers,

Space_Fetus

(I tried to U2U but I haven't posted 20 times yet)

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
What gun should you buy in Canada ?

One that goes bang in French and English ?

Sorreeee
NR

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

You don't want a French gun....

It'll turn itself in.

Désolé mes amis Francais.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join