It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scholar Claims Dead Sea Scrolls 'Authors' Never Existed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Scholar Claims Dead Sea Scrolls 'Authors' Never Existed

www.time.com

Biblical scholars have long argued that the Dead Sea Scrolls were the work of an ascetic and celibate Jewish community known as the Essenes, which flourished in the 1st century A.D. in the scorching desert canyons near the Dead Sea. Now a prominent Israeli scholar, Rachel Elior, disputes that the Essenes ever existed at all — a claim that has shaken the bedrock of biblical scholarship.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
An interesting read. I go to a Catholic university. Though I myself am not Catholic, I am required to take three Theology courses. We've discussed the Essenes in two of them, and the Dead Sea Scrolls in one, so I can definitely see how big this could be for scholars. Additionally, if it really was true that the Essenes never existed, it would change how scholars read the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It's really too early to make any solid judgments, but I think this would be huge for both Christianity and Judaism if it more evidence was found supporting this.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Excellent find!

I always wanted to read the dead sea scrolls. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a copy of the 39-volume set anywhere.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
They're available to read online. You just have to google it.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
They're available to read online. You just have to google it.

Did I forget to mention I am functionally illiterate in the language?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
No, you didn't. I'm sorry to hear that, and of course that will make reading a little harder I'd say.

new topics

top topics

join