It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Passes Laws Limiting Protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
"Robert Randall never knew free speech could cost so much � in dollars and in compromises � until he tried to organize a large-scale, peaceful demonstration for this summer's G-8 summit.

The coastal city of Brunswick, where Randall hopes to gather up to 10,000 people to protest the world leaders' summit, passed a law last month that places conditions on public demonstrations.

Organizers of protests like Randall's "G-8 Carnival" must put up refundable deposits equal to the city's estimated cost for clean up and police protection. Demonstrations may only last 2 hours, 30 minutes. Signs and banners may not be carried on sticks that might be brandished as weapons. And the signs may not be larger than 2-by-3 feet.

"This law would not exist if the G-8 was not coming here," said Randall, 51, a local therapist who has attended demonstrations since the Vietnam War. "It makes it impossible to express oneself through assembly or speech on public property unless you have money." "

"Activists also have complained that security plans for so-called "free speech zones" at the Democratic Convention in Boston will keep protesters from being seen or heard.

Cities "are choosing sides and what they're doing is trying to silence people from speaking out," said Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, a Washington attorney and co-founder of the Partnership for Civil Justice. "And they're using the law as a political tool to do it.""

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040418/ap_on_re_us/summit_protest_laws_1

Rights!?! Joo ain't got no stinking rights!

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have always been against protesting.. I just never knew how to show it.

I know I know.....

seriously though, just another freedom, being taken away...

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
"It makes it impossible to express oneself through assembly or speech on public property unless you have money." "

Godamn! Slowly more and more rights are removed. Protesting is our right. Soon we wont be allowed to speek against the government at all. People in the areas that are effected by this should take the streets, make sure they know that this can't happen. If we sit back and watch our rights slowly dissolved then in 10 years we will be in a police state. Don't sit back and let it happen! RISE UP!

new topics

join