It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Engineers Unveil 'Fashion Robot'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Japanese Engineers Unveil 'Fashion Robot'

www.wowowow.com

Models may soon be outdated!

A Japanese government program this weekend revealed a so-called "fashion robot" that’s made to strut her stuff on the catwalk, complete with smile and perky chest. And, more than that, she loves the press. "Hello everybody, I am cybernetic human HRP-4C," said the robot during her unveiling.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy
Kyle Reese, The Terminator

I was wondering how long before the technology Japan had developed to make small child sized robots that look like astronauts was used to make a true android.

Well now a true gynoid, female android, has been developed and unveiled to the public.

Its only a matter of time before someone at DARPA decides it would be neat to network a unit of them through a central computer while equiping them with small arms.

www.wowowow.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Here is an even better video.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Brings to mind "Blade Runner' with its test 'designed to provoke and emotional response'.

Is this also the future of law enforcement too?
Could be that the police state is trying to programme us all into submittance to such a level that when the 'female' robotic officers come to attend, we all do as they say when they ask us to please go home with a fake smile on the robots face.

Compliance!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think they should program her to sing "Don't touch me there" by The Tubes. I am surprised at the great walk.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Heh I guess Japaneses like their models to walk like they have a package in their pants needing carefull delivery.

Sure its what they have to do to make it balanced while moving but I dont see it replacing the flesh and blood models in a VERY long time. Not impressed personally by any of the current humanoid robotics being developed, not to mention once again they just cant do face muscles right... or they just skimped on it. If i want to see a human face id like the flesh and bone variety with a brain behind it, at least it means a humans got a secretarial pay packet out of it.

Oh if only the development of that contracting synthetic muscle they where showing off a good 17 years or so ago was done (saw it on an old Beyond 2000 episode as a 13 year old, sure it wasnt that impressive but looked real promising)... unless it has been done and just never allowed to progress into the mainstream.

I somehow really think theyve hit a plateau with these sorts of things, since its basically just one of those Sony Robots with a very badly articulated rubber . on it.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I could easily see this being adapted even further in the next few years into Japan's society kind of like the replicants of Blade Runner or the synthetics of Alien. They could fulfill all kinds of roles that doesn't require alot of abstract thought, including security and law enforcement.

What scares me is the defense role they could take. It could easily be stronger and more resiliant than any human. A human being can be put down with small arms, but a synthetic human with the right composites used in its construction would need at least an RPG or 12.7mm anti material rifle to kill it.

I have a feeling were going to be seeing alot more of these things before long. Robotics will probably become just as diverse and applied as the droids from Star Wars. Well at the very least it will in Japan in the near future.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ima go to left field with this one. why not?
Lets say, 10-20 years down the line, these robots have been fully adapted to represent humans in almost every concievable way(I-Robot).
Now with that said, these things are then proven enough to be effective in air combat scenerios, and even space travel. Now that leaves me to think, well if us humans are able to make a robot that is capable of traveling to space, then surely(this is where my thoughts get weird) other extraterestrials from other planets have been doing this for years since they are so far beyond our time in technology. Think about it, some of the alien footage I have seen (such as NASAs tether project) lead me to believe that some of the maneuvers that these entitys engage in are mind blowing, and if any of us were in one of those spaceships we would have been flattened like a pancakes. Why would they be any different? Eventhough I am sure that they are so advanced technology wise that they probably have that figured out, I think it would be much more easier to send 'drones' per say. Sometimes I do not believe that when crafts travel this far, that there are actual beings inside of them, but more like spy ships that transfer data to wherever they come from. I would think that the 'aliens' wouldnt want to risk being captured nor take the risk of crashing and leaving a body behind for us to find. To me it would make more sense to send a dummy ship rather than an actual 'dummy'. When i see our technology grow as much as it is, it becomes more clear to me how far behind we really are not only technology wise, but also in the ways ofour thought process. We only understand things that we know, or things that have been taught to us as a whole, and when something new comes out such as this robot, it challenges us even more and makes it known how little we actually know about the universe around us.

Like I said, left field.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I do not doubt that this particluar example is just that..a simple example.

Like anything else, you do not show off the best of the best until its time.

This one is probably the first of many they have, and the others are far more sophisticated..and have better motion characteristics.

The article does say that they were going to make one even more human like. Well rest assured, they most likely did, and are saving that golden egg for the right moment.

I think its cool, and about time more human like robots come to light. They can be quite useful and some can be programed to help the disabled.

Time to move out of the ancient times and into the 21st century folks. Long overdue.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Lets be honest with ourselves, this was designed by a man who will one-day patent the Sexbot.

I'm still trying to work out what particularly sick fetish or desires the Japanese are trying to fully perfect with the concept of increasingly-realistic, increasingly-young-looking robots. I wonder when they finally reach the epitome of this perversion...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Be honest - who'd hit that?! ...come on now...anybody????

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Just make sure to invent Asimov circuit and things will be fine.

The logic behind the Five Laws of Robotics is comparatively simple - easily rendered into plain English as follows:

1. A robot may not, through action or inaction, allow The Computer to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey any order from The Computer, except when doing so would conflict with the 1st Law.

3. A robot may not, through action or inaction, allow any of The Computer's valuable property (including the human Citizens of Alpha Complex, (except for traitors)) to come to harm, except when doing so would conflict with the 1st or 2nd Laws.

4. A robot must obey any order given it by a Citizen, unless that order conflicts with the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Laws, or unless that Citizen is a traitor.

5. A robot must seek to preserve his own existence, unless doing so would conflict with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Laws.

The Terminators would be much more agreeable if they were built with Asimov circuits.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Oh my god, I've never been so excited over something before- that robot reminds me of Dragon Ball Z SO FREAKING MUCH.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yes apart from the fact that it's wearing a silver jumpsuit, walks like an 89 year old with a hip replacement, has 5 kinds of facial expressions, and takes 10 seconds to respond to a simple question....

I could absolutely mistake this thing for a real human being.

Oh how far we've come.

new topics

top topics

join