It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misanthropy, Nihilism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I was just wondering what you guys think about those two subjects.

I am in nature a misanthrope, I have a general distrust in everything human, I believe that humanity is self destructive in nature, and has no purpose in life but to be slaves and good little sheep for the manipulators. I chose to be a recluse, and try to live away from society as I possibly can. I only wear plain clothes with no designs or logos, because I see this as more enslavement to society.

With all this talk of the NWO and conspiracies such as that, what do you guys here at ATS think the future of the world has in store for people like me?

First major post here by the way.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think that your general rejection of people or a meaning for life doesn't really put you in any different situation than the common man on the street. Whether you live without labels on your clothes or don't see the point in just about anything doesn't mean that you live outside of our common environment.

Deep inside, your survival instincts remain. I don't believe there is a true Nihilist, since by your willingness to survive, you are proving that to some degree, there is purpose.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by shabdiz
I am in nature a misanthrope, I have a general distrust in everything human, I believe that humanity is self destructive in nature, and has no purpose in life but to be slaves and good little sheep for the manipulators. I chose to be a recluse, and try to live away from society as I possibly can. I only wear plain clothes with no designs or logos, because I see this as more enslavement to society.

Those terms are new to my vocabulary. Just of the top, while it seems a bit sad for you to feel that way I can also understand. The thing is you are still a human just like the rest of us. You can't escape that.

I fully believe our purpose in life, the meaning of life if you will, is simply to live...... that is it. We have just forgotten how to live. our "masters" keep us in a constant state of fear and turmoil. I have to go to work everyday, pay bills, mortgages, rents, loans, and if I don't have that little piece of paper that says I am ejumakated, well, I have to work even harder at menial jobs to "earn a living".

Because of the environment we have been manipulated into I also have developed a general distrust of my fellow humans, but I also feel the need to help them too, that is a bit confusing. I want to run and hide away somewhere, but where? we can't escape. We are all in this together.

..........sorry, I am starting to ramble..........didn't mean too. I do get carried away at times. I am getting off my soap box now.

[edit on 3/16/2009 by Oolon]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wiki - Misanthropy

Wiki - Nihilism

Now that I edjumakated myself, that is kinda what I thought that meant.

It seems to me feeling like that is only playing into the hands of the manipulators, our masters if you will. Because of that I think I would try to avoid this direction of thinking. Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
yeah well, i avoid gratuitous logos too, but it's not people I hate. I mean they are pretty disgusting but the worst thing is the systems that we all adhere to.

you know, going to work, paying bills, keeping up with the jones'. etc etc etc...

I've been living more rebelliously than most I'd guess, and still do. If theres a way of doing something that keeps me out of the system I'll take it. I mean what else can you do but boycott? why doesn't everyone else do it? maybe they love the system, maybe they aren't thinkers, maybe they're scared. who knows.

I don't hate people I just regard them as things, you know like the plants that grow along the sidewalk, or clouds in the sky. Most of them clearly aren't real.

Maybe we should all compare ways that we stick it to the system, then we can borrow ideas from each other.

I don't pay taxes on most of my income
I haven't renewed my car tabs, exp in november. And I almost never buy gas.
I don't own anything, well a few things, mostlyused but I def don't consume much.
I almost never vote republican OR democrat if I can avoid it.
I dropped out of public school.
I never watch TV.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oolon
Wiki - Misanthropy

Wiki - Nihilism

Now that I edjumakated myself, that is kinda what I thought that meant.

It seems to me feeling like that is only playing into the hands of the manipulators, our masters if you will. Because of that I think I would try to avoid this direction of thinking. Just my opinion.

I know what the modern interpretation of misanthropy is but in the ancient greek it is closer to "inhumane" misanthropos pros anthropos would translate closer to man's inhumanity towards man.

To me that invokes ideas of harms, so a misanthrope would do nasty things to people out of their disgust and disdain of them.

SO I think some people are right here in thinking that just generally disliking/hating mankind isn't necessarily misanthropy, but putting them in the gas chamber would be.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by akalepos]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by shabdiz

Sorry that you find the rest of us so distasteful. But if you try to be personable, friendly and not so cynical, you might just be able to have friends, lovers, and human contact that is both pleasurable and fulfilling on an emotional level.

I don't have any idea what the world has in store for you but I would hope
that you can find Peace, Love and understanding in this life.

I have felt utter loneliness due to drug and alcohol addictions and became bitter and mean. What ever your motivations to reject society; Please give us another chance to show you that we are not all shallow, ego driven pigs. There are actually people that care about their fellow man, their welfare and happiness. I'm one of them and I have many brothers and sisters of the same mindset.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I think people have been so used by the Grey forces that we're numb, but deep down we're loving creatures.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
I think people have been so used by the Grey forces that we're numb, but deep down we're loving creatures.

I think people like to blame all manner of things for their problems and/or conditions and find it difficult to accept responsibility for themselves.

I mean seriously.... your above statement is just an excuse....just shifting the blame to some invisible, unseen force/beings.

If you have issues in your life or have lack of energy or problems... change your diet...exercise, turn off the tv/pc, sleep better.
there are a number of things you can blame situations on...the "greys" are not one.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
as far as nihilism is concerned, if you read Neitzsche's Zarathustra, you will find his allegory of the Camel, the Lion, and the Baby.

He spells out his theory of the annihilation of all values there.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

A true nihilist is supposed to go on living and create his own purpose, thus overcoming the cold "truth" that is nihilism out of spite.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by shabdiz

both definitions belong to one, and one is the evil wrong concept

misanthropy mean his freedom absolutely as the only positive thing, so he means freedom as a thing object one

nihilism mean his freedom being none, so also he means freedom as a thing while focusing always to talk about him as free one none, never admitting anything else existing while existing as none among

top topics

join