It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

star wars, star trek, or star gate.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
In order of preference:

1. Star Wars
2. Star Gate
3.------------

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e918d1dff50.jpeg[/atsimg]

Star Search.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
For me it would have to be Stargate, i don't know why, but the opportunity to go through a stargate and end up light years away just appeals to me greately. I love the sotry lines they come up with and i also loved the way show progressed.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Stargate SG-1 for me......man, it is so close to reality; in the sense of human characteristics........it also poses some very interesting theories about our universe, intelliegent life forms, evolution.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I love all of the Star Treks, but the Next Generation will always be my favorite. I have seen all the episodes and movies so many times, and yet, whenever it is on tv you can bet I am watching!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Depends on the series in question, to be honest. Alot of people don't give "Stargate Universe" enough credit--I think it was the best Stargate series. It wasn't nearly as hokey as the first two and the acting was stellar. I enjoyed Star Trek Voyager and the new Star Trek movie as well. I don't particularly care for Star Wars to be honest.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Star Trek (TNG) followed by
Babylon 5

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Stargate is one of my all time favourite films, although the latest Star Trek was very good as were the original Star Wars films. But I'll pick Stargate.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Does anyone else picture Cardassians when they come across references of "Reptilians" on ATS?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Stargate: Realism...It could verry well be REAL
BSG new one: Same here

As in, the storys hold the realism any series need
to make me a viewer. That, and the scifi part....

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by president

Star trek= ds9 final seasons with dominion war...or voyager all voyager

Star wars = return of the Jedi and empire.....only

Stargate = sg1 and universe....LOVED universe

Over all of them Battlestar galactica the new show of coarse .....

Star trek enterprise got dumb....too inventive and out there.....tng was cool.

Sg Atlantis was nice then they got played out and childish

Star wars was cool but its a bit dated and boring.

I would LOVE for a little webisode of BSG after arrival where the fleet didn't get burnt up and the base star returned. Maybe an uprising by the colonists trying to keep advanced tech and pretending to be gods to the primitive earth people used the fleet to found what will be known as Atlantis. I don't know. That would be great.

Or

The fleet crashed on a moon or on mercury and we find what's left of it and return to caprica and the 12 colonies.

You could have galactica be rebuilt and an expedition team sent to find our origins. They encounter what the sentinels from the base star built as far as a civilization back on the original earth.

edit on 3-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Depends on my mood really. Aside from SG. Never could get into any of those(even with Ben Browder and Claudia Black). I prefer ST as a rule. In order: TNG, last 2 seasons of DS(the first 2 were OK), OS and Voyager. Enterprise sucked big time. Sometimes I want a meal, not a snack though. The first 3 SW movies and the 6th one(in order that they were made) works for me. But so does the last ST movie. The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, The Voyage Home. There were a few that I won't watch EVER again. The first ST movie sucked then, it sucks now.

Can I give a shout out to Farscape?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The first Trek movie is all but unwatchable a second time...but Wrath of Khan, or Voyage Home? Those are priceless....

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I've been watching the remastered Hi Def version of Star Trek the original series recently (I haven't seen them since I was a kid) and I've been a bit shocked at some of the writing and the overall feel of it. I know it's from a different time and all but really.
All of the problems of any female from any alien civilisation can always be cured by Kirk groping at them for ten minutes, In one episode Kirk calls a group of Asian looking people "The Yellow race" and as for the planet full of Nazis

I'm still a huge fan of Voyager and TNG. Voyager definitely wins for having the highest density of attractive alien women though

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Star Wars blew my freaking mind when I first saw it.

I couldn't look at our planet the same ever again after that point or even myself.
Now i'm jedi
(martial artist)

Star Trek had some interesting points for me to absorb and only aided in expanding my mind.

Star Gate was alright, not my fav but again got me thinking.

Star Wars though will always be the best. I relate with Luke Skywalker on almost every level...
Blonde hair blue eyed kid growing up with no parents and a dream to change the universe...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
star gate, star wars then star trek

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well Star Wars was the first of these I was ever introduced to. I like the movies but i"m not too into the follow up books or cartoons that followed and sprouted off from the movies.

I LOVE Stargate!! I swear I've seen that movie a hundred times or more. I love the series, well all but SG Universe. I could not get into it no matter how many times i tried. SG1 is my favorite! i have the boxset for the series as well.

I can't really say much about Star Trek becasue I never got into it. There is just too much to it!! It was on forever! There was a time in the 90s where i watched I believe it was Enterprise. It was on after one of my soaps lol so I watched it.

Choosing between Star Wars and Stargate well i can't do that. They are totally different to me and on the same equl level of sci fi love for me

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Star wars is epic. I think of it more as fantasy, but it's a Titan in the sci-fi world.

That said, I think sci fi shows are the best way to tell a fan a story, you just get more time to flesh out the parts people love and ate intrigued by. Something I think TNG, especially next generation seasons 4-6, was great at.

I don't know, I love both Stargate and Star Trek. Particularly TNG and Atlantis (SG-1 is probably better, but I love McKay, especially the one that pokes fun at his ability to save everyone at the last possible second).

Reasons I love Stargate:

- I love the "realism" being set in the present and having military implications as well as scientific and cultural
- I love the nods to history, one of my favorite subjects
- While maybe not original having borrowed from so many legends, it has a great mythology

Reasons I love star trek

- I like it for the opposite reason actually, as far as the present and the militaristic goals. I love that all the mission statements are abut discovery. Things like a warring home world, money... They aren't important. It's a great standard to strive for. There are always problems, but we can be better.
- data/Spock: holy crap, what great characters and great ways for the audience to receive entertaining expository dialogue. Im a data guy myself, but this is a 1a 1b situation. To a way lesser extent you could add the doctor from voyager... Way lesser.
- TNG: Dat theme song tho
- Kirk/Picard: what great captains. No others could ever compare. I grew up with Picard, so sentimentally I'd have to pick him. Again, another 1a 1b situation.

I'd have to pick star trek. I just love it. Stargate is great too. RDA is hilarious. But I guess I'm a Trekkie.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I love them all and would never choose a favorite, it's like choosing a favorite child!

I do have my preferences within each "universe" though, Star Trek TNG, Voyager, Stargate SG-1 series, Star Wars 4,5,6 are my favorite. I can't stand ST TOS, Enterprise, or Stargate Universe, although Atlantis wasn't bad.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Star Wars.

This movie simply changed how I saw just about everything...
Plus, it "feels" more real, from the religious ideas to the fact that it was a "working" universe (ships were dented and chipped, not pristine, the technology was more "functional" vs. showy, etc.). And, the aliens are really different, vs. Star Trek's obsession with changing the nose and then POOF! instant alien! :shk:

I like Trek (all incarnations) and I liked the Stargate movie (could take or leave the series), but Star Wars remains my fave (I can even forgive Lucas for Jar Jar)...

And you can have your gals with the freaky noses from Trek...I'll take Leia in the slave outfit anyday....

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Gazrok]

In defense of Star Trek,

They have shields and replicators, why would their ships be dinged up? Nothing really bumping into starships, and if they did, it gets fixed. Plus there were examples of dinged up ships and "dirty" locations, but the large empires/federations generally keep their ships in good condition. In Star Wars the empires ships were kept pretty pristine too, I think it's just that in Star Trek we are exposed to more of the Federation world where everything is kept in good condition, vs the Star Wars series were we are shown a lot of rag-tag rebels and "little guys" if you know what I mean. Kinda like watching a documentary on the US Military vs a documentary on some third world nation, one showing a more pristine fleet and the other a bunch of dirty old rust buckets.

As for the aliens, many of the other species are supposed to have been seeded from the same ancient race that humans were, so that would explain the similarity. There have also been some real-world scientists who theorize that life out there might not look terribly different because physics are the same everywhere (as far as we know) and our bodies are a product of those physics. Bilateral symmetry makes the most efficient use of coding, in order for a species to become technological it would stand to reason they would require vision as well as a way to manipulate technology, so having eyes and dexterous hands makes sense. While crazy eyes like compound eyes exist here on earth most creatures have pretty similar eyes, so an alien race on a planet anything similar to Earth would probably have similar eyes as well.

Obviously they went a little overboard with making the aliens so similar (especially to the point of interbreeding) but many star wars species are pretty similar to humans as well other than size, color, etc. Other than a few races most have two arms and legs just like the aliens in ST.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join