posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:35 AM
Star wars is epic. I think of it more as fantasy, but it's a Titan in the sci-fi world.
That said, I think sci fi shows are the best way to tell a fan a story, you just get more time to flesh out the parts people love and ate intrigued
by. Something I think TNG, especially next generation seasons 4-6, was great at.
I don't know, I love both Stargate and Star Trek. Particularly TNG and Atlantis (SG-1 is probably better, but I love McKay, especially the one that
pokes fun at his ability to save everyone at the last possible second).
Reasons I love Stargate:
- I love the "realism" being set in the present and having military implications as well as scientific and cultural
- I love the nods to history, one of my favorite subjects
- While maybe not original having borrowed from so many legends, it has a great mythology
Reasons I love star trek
- I like it for the opposite reason actually, as far as the present and the militaristic goals. I love that all the mission statements are abut
discovery. Things like a warring home world, money... They aren't important. It's a great standard to strive for. There are always problems, but we
can be better.
- data/Spock: holy crap, what great characters and great ways for the audience to receive entertaining expository dialogue. Im a data guy myself, but
this is a 1a 1b situation. To a way lesser extent you could add the doctor from voyager... Way lesser.
- TNG: Dat theme song tho
- Kirk/Picard: what great captains. No others could ever compare. I grew up with Picard, so sentimentally I'd have to pick him. Again, another 1a 1b
I'd have to pick star trek. I just love it. Stargate is great too. RDA is hilarious. But I guess I'm a Trekkie.