It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

File sharing agency up for debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

File sharing agency up for debate

news.bbc.co.uk

The government has outlined the details of its proposed digital rights agency.

The agency -a key element of Lord Carter's Digital Britain report - would encourage people to use legal sources of copyrighted material.

The proposals, which Lord Carter called a "straw man" have been published to trigger a debate on the subject, rather than an outline of future policy.

"This straw man could be torched, tolerated or a touchstone for the start point of constructive debate," he said.

"I for one hope it is the latter," he added.

The report highlights attitude changes in the digital age, saying consumers are no longer prepared to be told when and where they can access content.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Perhaps if the greed of the film and music industries was to be addressed first, this would become less of a contentious issue.

I for one do not see why I should pay to d/l music I already paid for onto an ipod.

I don't see why I should not lend a DVD I have bought to a friend.

I don't see why I should have to pay over and over for the same album as the music industry uses new formats as a way to rip people off.

In the last 20 years or so, music has gone from vinyl, to cassette, to CD, to digital - and they expect us to pay for a new product each time???

Sorry, but no.

If they were a little fairer in their dealings with the customers who buy the products, then perhaps there would be less file sharing.

I also think it is wrong for the government to get involved in what is essentially a civil matter - but the music and film industry have powerfull lobby groups.

Perhaps consumers should form lobby groups of their own or protest at westminster to end the rip offs.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Not only those instances you mentioned but its a deeper problem with copyrights as a whole. The length of copyright protection is absurd and extreme which is on of the reasons people dont bother with playing by the book.

I mean life plus 70 years is quite frankly retarded. How anyone could possibly justify copyright beyond life is; well beyond me.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I concur wholeheartedly that the problem is not the end users, but those who desire continuous revenue flow from other people's work.

And it isn't just digital media, it's everything. You buy a program that comes on a CD and the Cd get's scratched, you have to pay AGAIN? Something is wrong with that picture.

And does content EVER become 'paid for' or is it forever bound to be charged for access? The entire copyright system (and patents for that matter) needs to be drafted and reviewed by NON-LAWYERS to put an end to the games they play on behalf of the middle-men who claim to be the 'owners' of other peoples creativity.

new topics

top topics

join