It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Capilization of your name on legal documents?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Listen to John Harris on You Tube, he will explain it quite simply!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

actually if you look up capitalization in Blacks Law Dictionary, Capitis deminutio maxmia, - from roman law, the dimunition of a persons legal status as a result of being reduced to slavery, pg 223, 8th edition, what it means is you are capitalized, you become property
, please check your facts, also there are no rules of grammar or usage which require this capitalized spelling.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Legalese is not my expertise...

If an official of the courts were to present me with a document with my name spelled in upper case, and asks if I am that person, can I legally deny that?

I've heard that you can just stay silent and not answer any questions. Eventually you will be given a blank piece of paper to sign. After you sign it you can walk out of court.

I wouldn't try that if I were you, though, especially if it's for a common law offense. If you are to appear in a "courtroom" without counsel, then just show up and do what the judge says. You'd basically be pleading "no contest." If you are in a court case, then let your counsel do all of the talking.

Guns hurt. Guns, and tazers.

By putting your signature on it, you've just entered into a contract which is legally-binding.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by vcwxvwligen]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bamaisin
from roman law, the dimunition of a persons legal status as a result of being reduced to slavery, pg 223, 8th edition, what it means is you are capitalized, you become property

That's my point. "From Roman law", the alphabet used by the Romans contained no lowercase letters. How could the law have anything to do with upper and lower case?

Furthermore, "capitis" in Latin refers to "head" or "top" as in highest social position or "head of family".

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Originally posted by Bamaisin
from roman law, the dimunition of a persons legal status as a result of being reduced to slavery, pg 223, 8th edition, what it means is you are capitalized, you become property

That's my point. "From Roman law", the alphabet used by the Romans contained no lowercase letters. How could the law have anything to do with upper and lower case?

Yes but you're not taking into account the extreme pedantry which is rife in the judicional system. If there's a hyphen or a comma out of place, it would rip a beaurocratic hole in the time space continuam, and suck the adminastrative clerck into a whole new dimension. That's how these things work "I'm sorry, you forgot to dot the i's so we're going to have to throw the case out"

If course, I over exagerate for effect here, but I'm sure you get my point'

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Yeah I am. There are a significant number of "style" documents outlining exactly how legal documents should be completed. It's interesting that none of them express any specific instances where upper case should be used versus lower case, and vice versa, specifically for the purposes of changing the status of an "entity", other than distinguishing legal terminology.

Sure, many legal documents have been rendered moot, or had their meanings altered, by the inclusion or exclusion of a piece of punctuation....because in our language, that changes the meaning of the content. Case does not change meaning.

My brother case is visiting.
His clothes are packed in a Case.

Regardless of the use of the upper and lower case "c", the meaning is clear and changes not a frickin' bit the fact that case is still my brother, whose clothes are packed in a Case.

The concept that changing the case of a person's legal name, changes the status of the "entity" is not born out by the real world.

As a challenge.....someone find a documented, concrete case in which the alteration of a person's legal name, by the use of all upper case, or simple capitalization, has actually resulted in some dire consequences.

There's a challenge for the proponents of this particular "conspiracy."

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
As Black's Law Dictionary explains, the full capitalization of the letters of one's natural name, results in a diminishing or complete loss of legal or citizenship status, wherein one actually becomes a slave or an item of inventory.

Went to the library this afternoon...pulled Black's Law Dictionary 8th Edition from the shelf and looked up capitis dominutio maxima, capitis dominutio media, and capitis dominutio minima.

There is utterly nothing in the latest Black's Law Dictionary that mentions, even in passing, anything about the "full capitalization of one's natural name", within the definition of the previously listed terms.

Not a word.

Conclusion....the whole thing is absolute BS.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by MrPenny]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join