It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1,000,000 per citizen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Enough with giving all these big corperations billions. Just so that they can try to figure out a wat to put it back into the economy. Wile greasing their palms at the same time.
I say instead of giving away billions to people who are already miss-usuing it.
Give every citizen $1,000,000.
It would be alot more affordable.
And really kick off the economy.
Imagine if you were given $1,000,000.
You would pay off your house. And those who dont own would buy.
Real estate prob. FIXED.
Many would be buying cars. The compitition to produce efficiency. Would force the car makers to adapt. Or go out of business. Where their are other companys ready to fill the need. Isn't that what business in America is about?
People would be buying electronics, takeing vacations, and starting business'.
As well as playing the stock market.
That is just my thought on the matter.
If I'm wrong.
Tell me.
But I think that in some way, you can all see some sence in this.
I know that if I was given $1,000,000. I would spend quite-a-bit of it.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
My question will be, will we be able to mobilize the funding for all the citizens. And then, since after recieving the money, all become millionaires, why should they work? They can stay home and enjoy.

So, this will create lots of problems too.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Excellent observation.

With that amount of money, the majority of people in the country would simply stop working, effectively shutting down the country.

I'm all for giving our money to us instead of others, but that amount just wouldn't work.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Since a million really wouldn't last forever, and since homes can be expensive, this would not shut down the economy, especially not if there was a clause about starting or contributing to business. In other words this would be and ample time to take back our power from organized neocon bankers and coorperations and start our own businesses, lobby against all patents and public rights to all knowledge and human inventions, and we would start to buy from each other, bypassing all monopolies that exist now. I have been promoting that for years. Our businesses. Statistically small businesses provide most of the employment, at least they did a few years ago. In the end, the masses of wealth that they rake over from us would be our childrens inheritance. And there would be plenty to ensure the best social services mankind could think of and we would be very well cared for people. Some of the new businesses we should start is massive new varieties of new media.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Give every citizen over the age of 18 $100, 000 -- see how that goes?
I think it's an interesting idea, I've always wondered what the short term effects would be of doing something like that. I think only one way to find out though.

$100k please!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You forget that if everyone was given a million dollars, prices for everything would go through the roof due to the fact that retailers and even home sellers would know for a fact that they could get more.

Supply and demand.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Did you do that math on that? If you actually gave every person (I assume you only meant the US) $1,000,000, the cost would be around 303 trillion dollars.

How do you think that would be smart?

Where do you get the money? Do you just print more? That is devaluation of currency.

Let's think things through before making elementary school level statements like this.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of the German counterfeiters of WW2? There was a plan to print billions in British currency and air drop it into the UK. How does that make sense... dropping money into the hands of your enemy?

It works because it destroys the entire system that a country runs on.

en.wikipedia.org...

The end result would be hyperinflation.

Everyone would stop working temporarily. The cost of basic provisions would skyrocket, and the cost of luxuries would follow suit.

Basically the entire US economy would fall into a state of disrepair, and the nation would be torn apart.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

As he said citizen I believe that he is taking out illegal immigrants and legal aliens. Would still be about 250 trillion dollars though.

And just to add my two pennith, I think it is a horrific idea.

Sorry but the harm it would do the economy would be immense.

Sprint and Verizon stocks would go through the roof though with millions of delinquent bills being paid off.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Forget inflation. This would be the moment to get rid of them permanently and set things up right for us. Now, if you can dream of what people could do collectively if they had a million, imagine setting the money aside, and going for the dreams anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Dumb idea, as many have said it would de value your money in a second... There are plenty of billionaires in Zimbabwe who can't afford to wipe their own nose.

Maybe a better idea is LIMITING the amount of money any single person can have to a million! Any one who currently has more than a million in cash will have everything after $1,000,000 frozen until the economy is looking better.

It won't ever work... Rich people have the best lawyers
and most of them are so good looking we hapily bend over to kiss their posterior!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by only onus
Give every citizen $1,000,000.

Yea, and how much would a million dollars get you then?

A car? less? Ever hear of inflation?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Forget inflation.

A very dangerous way of thinking.

THAT is what would get us into trouble with a plan such as this.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'd be happy just to get back the money I spent on criminal interest charge hikes the CC blasted me with for no good reason. (citibank being the worst offender) over they years.

ok, ok, and maybe my house note paid off......

kidding, kidding lol

but the interest thing for sure.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea, if you enjoy paying $10,000 for a newspaper or $50,000 for a loaf of bread.

The end result of giving every citizen $1,000,000 would be the worst bout of hyperinflation this country has ever seen...by far.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
They're right- when too much money is chasing too few resources, prices skyrocket.

We know a lot of people WILL quit their jobs if they have a sudden windfall- even if only for a couple of years to retrain for something better. So production falls dramatically, prices shoot up, our trade gap skyrockets, meanwhile everyone sees whats happening and cuts off our credit knowing that we're about to take a nose dive, so the feds crank up our taxes to make up for their inability to borrow and next thing you know, you're hunkered down with a calculator trying to figure out how the taxes on a million dollars became 2 million dollars.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
They're right- when too much money is chasing too few resources, prices skyrocket.

I dissagree. I think that sence the business' know that everybody will be spending. It will force greater compitition.
Even more so, knowing that their will be a boom of new technology. As well as competing businesses.
And their will always be a need for people to work.
As mentioned $1,000,000 wont last forever.
And when you really put it into modern values. It really isn't a super ammount of money.
It would give everyone the shot at a better life.
And we all know that their will be those who will just go out and blow right through it. Without anything to show for it five years from now.
They will have to work.
And with the influx of new industries, their will be plenty of jobs.
I'm with mystiq,and navieko, and feel that it should at least be something that the government would bring up for debate.
Mabey $1,000,000 would be too much.
How about the $100,000. That would still be enough for people to get things squared away.
What do you think the cap on something like this should be?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by only onus

That's exactly why there will be inflation. There will be a huge increase in demand for products as people 'blow through' that $1M. People would have every store shelf in America picked clean within a week. The supply chain for most products simply is not capable of sustaining that type of shock in the short term or even the medium term. The only way that the suppliers can compensate is to raise prices in order to eliminate the excess demand. This is classic demand-pull inflation and will result in massive devaluation of currency.

The only way it *might* work would be to give every American a tangible asset such as a house or strip of land once they turn 21 or something, and that could not be converted to anything close to cash value for decades, if ever. That still has major pitfalls, however, and although I really haven't taken time to think that proposal through, I strongly suspect that it would also be unworkable.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
My question will be, will we be able to mobilize the funding for all the citizens. And then, since after recieving the money, all become millionaires, why should they work? They can stay home and enjoy.

So, this will create lots of problems too.

not really .. our CEO makes appox 1.7 million yearly and he finds time to still go to work

2nd line, this line right here is a 2nd line

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Here's a little perspective: 10% of the annual US military budget (excluding war costs and unsupported accounting entries) could end world hunger. The US military budget accounts for 50% of the world's military spending...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join