It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 caliber gun for crowd control in Boston parade

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
and who is to say this is not part of the news article, i beg to differ.
it is a comment on the article by a participant of said event.

and just because someone shortens their comments by using (u instead of you) by no means degrades any comment, it is just another way of speeding up communication, for some peolpe who do not have time to dot their I's and cross their T's.

if its truthful who cares how it is spelled, any way what about foreign language speakers (this is a global site isnt it). for some this is how we communicate.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by guinnessford

The title of the post is a complete fabrication by the thread starter and in no way reflects actual occurrences. And a tremendous job of hyperbole to boot. Aside from that, a .50 caliber gun is miserable for "crowd control"....tactically, that would be about the worst choice for "crowd control", given the arsenals available to them.

You're trying to invent an issue out of whole cloth. There was a police Humvee at a parade gathering. Ho hum.

Originally posted by marcusareilius
this time he felt akward because of police vehicles which were never necassary in the past for this event.i

You're going to posit that the Boston PD never had police vehicles at the St. Patrick's Day Parade? Ever?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by marcusareilius

Yeah, it does degrade your comments. I'm sorry I'm the one to break that to you....but it looks like you don't really give a rat's ass what your typing. I was polite the first time....

Look down, just below the yellow text under the editing window. It's a politely worded request and actually very easy to conform to.....here it is...

Please avoid using "TXT Messaging Shorthand" for words when posting on AboveTopSecret.com and AbovePolitics.com, such as "4" for the word "for" or "u" for the word you. Common "Internet Slang" acronyms such as "LOL" and "ROFLMA" are acceptable, but should still be used sparingly.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
C'mon folks. Use your brains a bit I see no proof except an anonymous internet posting that:

1. There was any SWAT at the event
2. SWAT was armed in any way at the event
3. SWAT was armed with something large enough to be a .50 cal firearm
4. SWAT was armed with a .50 cal firearm

Pix or it didn't happen. There must have been a 60% camera saturation rate at the parade (between stand alone cams and cell phone cams).

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's ignorant to assume this is real for one reason:

If you know anything about firearms, specifically "big game" bores, .408chevy tac, .50 etc.. you'll understand that a .50, probably a Barrett would be of no tactical use in this situation (unless the target was setup at a steep distance).

.50s are rarely used as anti-personell weapons unless there is an extended range factor. They are heavy and big and the risk of overpenetration would be extreme in a crowded area.

No SWAT member is going to give up the mobility a 50 would take away in an urban envrionment with an engagement range under 1000yards, especially in light that it would endanger other citizens if he were to engage with it in a crowded area. They'll stick to their proven 308's

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by n1zzzn
It's ignorant to assume this is real for one reason:

If you know anything about firearms, specifically "big game" bores, .408chevy tac, .50 etc.. you'll understand that a .50, probably a Barrett would be of no tactical use in this situation (unless the target was setup at a steep distance).

.50s are rarely used as anti-personell weapons unless there is an extended range factor. They are heavy and big and the risk of overpenetration would be extreme in a crowded area.

No SWAT member is going to give up the mobility a 50 would take away in an urban envrionment with an engagement range under 1000yards, especially in light that it would endanger other citizens if he were to engage with it in a crowded area. They'll stick to their proven 308's

How many people in a crowd would know this?
And im not taking a side here, but if it was threre for "fear", it did its job.
If it was there, it may have been like parading missiles thru red square.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
.50 is to draw ur attention to the fact that police had an armored vehicle at a parade in south boston. it got my attention in the globe, and i live 3000miles away. i have never seen a armored car at a parade.
i have never seen a load of drunk irish

vehicles like this are built and equiped for a purpose. now common sense dictates these vehicles are fully equiped when on the field.

this is a form of intimidation.

and you will notice alot more security like this at events in the future.
(military state) so if you feel safer because of this
so be it.
hav a look on utube, there were more than enough police at the parade

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
sorry to finish what i have said i have never seen a load of drunk paddys cause a riot at a parade where we would need this security.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by marcusareilius
.50 is to draw ur attention to the fact that police had an armored vehicle at a parade in south boston. it got my attention in the globe, and i live 3000miles away. i have never seen a armored car at a parade.
i have never seen a load of drunk irish

vehicles like this are built and equiped for a purpose. now common sense dictates these vehicles are fully equiped when on the field.

this is a form of intimidation.

and you will notice alot more security like this at events in the future.
(military state) so if you feel safer because of this
so be it.
hav a look on utube, there were more than enough police at the parade

Before i say something silly again, "youve never seen a load of drunk irish?"
Surely you jest??????
And if you havent, ill send you some family pics.....

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
im lookin at the worst of irish drunks here in ireland everyday. i still dont see any armored vehicles in my local parade.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't think I have ever seen a SWAT vehicle with a .50 cal weapon mounted on it. I have seen them with a water cannon mounted.

I thought the only .50 cal SWAT used was for sniper rifles.

Besides that, there was no mention of an actual weapon. He saw a seat that he assumed was for a weapon. Maybe the guy who was sitting in it just wanted to watch the parade? Sitting up there he wouldn't have to worry about tall people in front of him.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i make sure to bring my armored vehicle to every parade, not demonstrations just parades with loads of kids and families. plus when i go
out for a drive i always leave the engine at home.

read between the lines no need to be paranoid

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
oh i forgot, a water cannon works great with kids

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Using a 50-cal gun for crowd control is ridiculous! What's wrong with tear gas? Or even a strong water current?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

If you saw no beer at the St Pats parade in boston, your eyes were welded shut.
I was born and raised on E street.
Been to almost every parade.
And no, there is no need for a .50 cal for crowd control, i agree with that.
The closest the parade came to violence was when the courts let gays march in the parade.
So many of the old school Irish Mafia went nuts.
The Sheleighle, if you are farmiliar with em.

I remember that! They were soooooooooooo ticked that the gays wanted to march in the parade.

I lived in Boston near Back Bay awhile and went to college in Newton (Mt. Ida), we used to go to Castle Island a lot.

Edited cause I can't spell...

[edit on 16-3-2009 by sugarmonkey]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by marcusareilius

You being of Irish descent, and me being of Italian descent, you know the problems we deal with.
You Boston, me New York, were told we were less than human, like the Blacks and Mexicans are being told now.
Why is any of it possible.
I know why, we are afraid of our own lack of ability, lack of confidence, lack of acceptence, and through our heritage, we placce these bigoted thoughts upon our weakest rivals.
Makes me friggin' sick.
I posted in a thread awhile-ago, rascism

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join