It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 caliber gun for crowd control in Boston parade

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

50 caliber gun for crowd control in Boston parade

www.boston.com

However, at the start of the Parade it was awkward seeing a man in a swat vehicle popping out of an obvious 50 caliber gun seat in a armored vehicle. I leaned closer to a gentleman older than I and said. “Boy how times changed”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a bystander at the parade witnessed this(comment no.3 below article). What r the swat team doing at st. patricks day parade in south boston. a bit 2 much for a crowd that at least 60% under 15 years old.

(Moments before South Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade kicked off at 1 p.m., Boadway was packed with families, college students, and out-of-towners, sporting green T-shirts, hats, and beads.

But there were no signs of beer or any obviously inebriated revelers. Inside Amrheins Restaurant, patrons sipped cups of beer, chatting and taking pictures of each other as they snacked on chips and fries.

www.boston.com

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Oh god, how absurd is this... I wonder what it will be next year, Dick Cheney??

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by marcusareilius

a bystander at the parade witnessed this(comment no.3 below article). What r the swat team doing at st. patricks day parade in south boston. a bit 2 much for a crowd that at least 60% under 15 years old.

(Moments before South Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade kicked off at 1 p.m., Boadway was packed with families, college students, and out-of-towners, sporting green T-shirts, hats, and beads.

But there were no signs of beer or any obviously inebriated revelers. Inside Amrheins Restaurant, patrons sipped cups of beer, chatting and taking pictures of each other as they snacked on chips and fries.

www.boston.com

If you saw no beer at the St Pats parade in boston, your eyes were welded shut.
I was born and raised on E street.
Been to almost every parade.
And no, there is no need for a .50 cal for crowd control, i agree with that.
The closest the parade came to violence was when the courts let gays march in the parade.
So many of the old school Irish Mafia went nuts.
The Sheleighle, if you are farmiliar with em.
But maybe someone high up saw potential for violence with the recent I.R.A. violence in Ireland?
Anyone visiting here still live around Southie?
Anything in the news?
(Ive missed the past 2 years)
My dad lives close to Mass, ill have to ask him and a few others in the family still there and get back, may take a day..

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
the statement no beer visible was made by boston globe reporter in the article.
the point was 2 give the picture that it is a family day with alot of kids there.
and what in gods name would the troubles in ireland realisticly have 2 do with a parade in south boston.
and i live less than 50miles from the troubles here in ireland.
and i lived in dorchester for 10 years, id say i was familiar with southie!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Then you must know the strong ties between Ireland and Boston.
Usually the first stop off the boat.
As both sides of my parents were.
Its always a large "kid"presence there.
Its a parade, and im sure no different than any year i was there.
But if youve never been,than you wouldnt know what goes on 2 streets over.
Or most of the time, right along the parade route.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
LOL

I'm generally one to defend the use of force and such, but I do agree that this is a-little-more-than-slightly overkill.

A .50 cal? That's for mowing down crowds, not controlling them.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by marcusareilius

I see NO MENTION of a gun being visible.

He popped out of an "obvious 50 cal gun seat."

He probably saw a WATER CANNON.

Relax.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
hav been to the parade at least 10 times,
hav been one of the drunk fools 2 streets over plenty of times,
i Know all bout boston being first stop and all of its connections, been there
done that 20 years ago.

there is still no reason why a swat team in south boston is necessary, and the regular cops are well used to drunk fools in southie

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

I see NO MENTION of a gun being visible.

He popped out of an "obvious 50 cal gun seat."

He probably saw a WATER CANNON.

Relax.

Actually, reading the article and googling around a bit, I agree with you. Star for your common sense.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I am in complete agreement with you on that, my Irish brother.
Now what we cant see or hear, is whats going on behind the scenes.
That, more than likely is waht the problem is.
In my ignorance, maybe you can help me.
Recently, from what was sent to the mainstream media is the"REAL' I.R.A took credit for the Army base shooting.
What if any is the difference?
Is this the newer ranks of the same crew, or is it a broken off, un-sanctioned army?
Im sorry if i caugt you off guard, or made it seem like i was lookin for an argument.
What killed me was no beer at the parade, i thought you were making the statement, i should have assumed nothing and asked first!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Your quote is not legitimately snipped from a news source. It is snipped from a comment provided by a reader of the article. Therefore, it is not a part of the "news" story.

Nowhere does anyone say there were SWAT members present. A commenter referred to the vehicle as a "SWAT vehicle".....what is that? What is a SWAT vehicle? Nor, are any particular weapons mentioned......"a .50 caliber gun seat" does not a .50 caliber gun make.

This is horrible.....does anyone here ever read the sources and actually think about them? Or is it simply a mad-scramble to be heard....and the hell with making any sense?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
break off group of nationalists shot these men.
there r very few people who support them.

i myself travel back and forth accross the border of northern ireland and the republic on a daily basis. u would not even no u were crossing the border. u would never even no there was ever any problems here in the past.
now i can understand a swat team here on the ready especially after the shootings and being so close 2 a national holiday festival.

keep an eye on the media 2moro, lots of parades all across the north and south. even a parade very near the killings.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

There are some conventions here at ATS I'd like to politely point out. One big one is the avoidance of " 'net " talk....replacing "you" with "u", "are" with "r",.....kinda' frowned upon. There are some Internet conventions that won't raise eyebrows....LOL, ROFL, etc....but for the most part, most of us like to see an effort made to actually employ full words and thoughts.

Finally, as to your post.....there is zero mention of any SWAT teams members in the article or reader comments.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
as far as im concerned an armoured vehicle within 50 yards of my family at a st.patricks day parade in south boston is the story.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I will, and sorry for any confusion.
And id heard its a whole different place as of late, the I.R.A., Or the real I.R.A whichever, hasnt been very active the past few years, at least from what we get on our politically controlled m.s.media.
Also, what are the possibilities of the "new" oil thats been discovered, tied in to u.s. military, and the shooting in your opinion?
Do you think it may be a ploy for our government to stick our foot in your door to backdoor it from your country?
It wouldnt surprise me in the least, like what we are doing in iraq, and the convenient karzai/conoco placement in afghanistan.
Just so happened to be a pipeline that needed to go thru there, and such.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

What's it gonna' do.....bite 'em? Why is that a story? I'd be much more concerned about the hooligans with various weaponry hidden about themselves.

I don't know about you, but I kind of like the idea of an armored vehicle close by. First sign of trouble, I'm pushing people behind the thing.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marcusareilius
as far as im concerned an armoured vehicle within 50 yards of my family at a st.patricks day parade in south boston is the story.

I have not seen any other independent verification that there was anything alarming going on at the parade. No .50 cal for crowd control, not even that a SWAT team had been called up - even then, a SWAT team wouldn't surprise me, it's a high-profile event that might be prone to a terrorist attack.

Where is the cause for the concern you're voicing?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I think the cause for concern is the title of the post.
Anytime a .50 cal is needeed for crowd control, its a concern.
Whether it was there is to be decided.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
firstly read the mans comment. he seems educated, has been to the parade 22 times, this time he felt akward because of police vehicles which were never necassary in the past for this event.
if sure the man knows what crowd control vehicles look like.

this is not really a high profile event.

i too would feel akward to say the least, to attend an event with family where it is deemed necessary for armored vehicles to be present.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join