It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke waste sneaked out of Port Kembla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Nuke waste sneaked out of Port Kembla

au.news.yahoo.com

A shipment of spent nuclear fuel rods from the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor has left Port Kembla on the New South Wales south coast bound for the United States.

The Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) advised the public in November last year it was planning to ship radioactive spent nuclear fuel to the US in sealed casks
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
i'd like to say i'm glad its not in australia anymore. but really what is the US gonna do with it?
make more bombs? why would you need more bombs at this time, with the big financial crisis and global wamring and the such?
perhaps they plan on blowing someone up. like russia or china or even themselves.
the US appears so unstable at the moment and from what i've seen on this forum its extreme fear driven, driven by the masses.

au.news.yahoo.com

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
From what I understand, the only thing you can do with spent fuel rods is make dirty bombs, but that would cause enough long-term damage if set off in a large city.

But all this says is it was shipped out. It doesn't imply anything malevolent will happen with those rods. For all we know the U.S. has some kind of deal to store nuclear waste with Australia.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
This thread may be of interest then:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wonder where this technology is at now?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

that is quite important Chadwickus. a way to store radioactive ions. the problem is how cost effective is it. i would assume it would extremely expensive to create enough of this nano-ceramic material to store large amounts of waste. then there is the whole process of separating the radiative ions from the materials.

why not sell the gear to a country full of power hungry mobster types suffering paranoid delusions of a world intent on their destruction.

still the real problem is why the australian government feels the need to "sneak" the crud out of the country with a huge detail of armed fo-fo.
it would be more sensible to inform the public that our toxic waste is leaving the country to become someone elses problem.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead

the US appears so unstable at the moment and from what i've seen on this forum its extreme fear driven, driven by the masses.

au.news.yahoo.com

I would suggest that gauging the level of fear present in a given country by posts on a conspiracy message board is, at best, faulty. I can tell you that my day to day interaction, both personally and professionally, bears no resemblance to what you read here.

The economic situation is unsettling, of course, there is no denying that. Yet we get up each day, go about our business, mindful of the realties of the current situation but, by no means, consumed by it.

We will get through this. It won't be easy but history should tell you that we will be just fine.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
too true night watchman. my apologies for catagorizing your entire nation into a minority. i myself get fed up with "the world is gonna end" rubbish that is spewed all over this forum. so please forgive my poor attempt at humour.

and as for us getting through this. of course we will. we'll just be working for peanuts after the hump.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

I think say it was sneaked out is a little dramatic. ANSTO announced it would be going last year, and the reason for not publicising the schedule for the shipment should be pretty obvious.

If America was about to bomb someone as you suggest, then they surely don't need anything from Australia. Their nuclear arsenal is more than adequate, and they have many reactors to choose from to construct a "dirty bomb" if they so chose.

I don't think there's a conspiracy here, but that's my opinion

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead

i'd like to say i'm glad its not in australia anymore. but really what is the US gonna do with it?
make more bombs? why would you need more bombs at this time, with the big financial crisis and global wamring and the such?
perhaps they plan on blowing someone up. like russia or china or even themselves.

au.news.yahoo.com

By your speculation it sure is 'extreme fear driven'. Difficult to make nukes out of depleted Uranium, can be used to make munitions though... but that's not needed since they have stockpile of a few thousand nukes, and hundreds of there own large scale reactors. What is the U.S going to do with it? Bury it probably, as they have the facilities; we do not.

Also, better 50 tons of radioactive waste from a 1500Mw/e reactor than 125,000 tons of ash and 193,000 tons of sludge from a 500Mw/e coal plant. Just sayin. www.ucsusa.org...#

The idea that a TINY Australian reactor is producing material for the United States (despite it's 125+ reactors, and 4000+ nukes), is simply absurd.

ANSTO announced it would be going last year, and the reason for not publicising the schedule for the shipment should be pretty obvious.

[edit on 16/3/2009 by C0bzz]

new topics

top topics

join