It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown lifeform discovered in ancient fossil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Unknown lifeform discovered in ancient fossil

www.telegraph.co.uk

The animal, which made large burrows through sediment at the bottom of desert wadis in Torbay some 260 million years ago, could be unknown to science.

Scientists from around the world will be informed of the mystery when the findings are officially published later this year.

It comes as nine other sites in the area have been officially recognised as of national and international importance geologically.

Geologist Kevin Page from Plymouth University, said they had been unable to find any known animal, alive or extinct, that would have been responsible for the kind of burrows found in the deposits.

"If it was something like a worm, it was a very big worm. It was older than dinosaurs," he said.

"It would have been active in the sediment of waterholes at the foot of limestone mountains.

"It must have been some strange creature – possibly burrowing around in the cool of the water during the day and possibly coming out to feed at night in the desert region.

"We have evidence of some giant millipedes in the Bay, but this is something different. It could be a completely new species."

He added: "Some of the burrows are two feet long while others are nest shaped.

"Further surveys and research will be carried out before the findings are published in a scientific journal later this year. Until that work is completed, the site location will be kept a secret to protect it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aroundglobe.net

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Sorry if this article is being discussed. I found this article very interesting and show us that we still have a lot to discover. This creature is supposed to be older than dinosaurs. The site has been kept secret and I think we should keep an eye on this one as we may never hear of it again. Who knows what they may find. I am worried that some of the findings might be kept secret in case they find something that just might challenge most scientific theories to date…..

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Tremors.

On a serious note this is pretty cool stuff. New prehistoric or pre-prehistoric( :puz
creatures. Sounds exciting. It will be cool to learn more about it when the release more info.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Dude I was totally thinking Tremors

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I am convinced that the fossil record failed to record lots of species that we may never observe or discover. This world has been rich with life and much of it is recorded, but that is not to say parts of it will remain a mystery lost for all time.

There will certainly be new discoveries based on access to certain geological access that previously may not have been accessible which will yield undoubtedly a lot more amazing discoveries.

This world rocks. Life rocks.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Thank god for Hollywood. We have three blueprints on how to defeat them even as they increase in intelligence if the mad scientist decide this would be a good thing to clone and bring back to life.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I dont know if huge worms started coming out of the ground, id really start to lose it!!! I wouldnt mind a Tremors 5 though- always was mesmorized by Reba and her team of Worm Troopers!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

HAH!

If they were subterranean I wonder what caused them to die off? Can't wait to hear the resolution and cross your fingers and hope National Geographic does a doc on it. Thanks OP.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

For sure!

I'd most def. lose it myself. I get a kick out of B-movies, that is another topic for another thread though.

_______

I don't know maybe run out of a food source? Or some other catastrophic event that we don't know about?

I think the world is a fascinating place there are more questions about what makes up the world and everything below and beyond than we will ever possibly know.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Interesting find. There are some bizzare creatures that have roamed this earth thats for sure. The giant Sea Scorpion was a pretty cool find a while back. It makes me wonder what amazing species are waiting to be discovered in our universe.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Couldn't they just be some sort of sea slug?

If the area were covered with water, marine life would be the answer, since marine species have the greatest potential to grow much bigger than their land-walking counterparts.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by beaverg

HAH!

If they were subterranean I wonder what caused them to die off? Can't wait to hear the resolution and cross your fingers and hope National Geographic does a doc on it. Thanks OP.

Any number of things, but you have to remember the meteroical impact that killed off the dinosaurs was a global changing event. Weather, temperature, food availability all changed. Sunlight was probably blocked out for years. The story says it's likely these worms came out to feed so if they could no longer do that for whatever reason then like all the other species that didn't make it, they just died off.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Could it be that mongolian Death worm that all the Cryptozologist talk about?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

remember the meteroical impact that killed off the dinosaurs

That's one of the main problem we have, the above is a theory even though proof of impact is there, it does not mean that it exterminated the dinosaurs, as we have seen many times, scientist changing there theory many times as they come across new findings.

new topics

top topics

join