It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran drone downed over Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Washington, March 14: An American fighter jet has reportedly shot down an Iranian drone as it was flying over Iraq.

Details of the previously unreported shoot-down, which occurred last month, are still sketchy, but "we do know that American commanders have long accused Tehran of supplying weapons and training to all sorts of Iraqi militant groups, Wired News quoted a military source," as saying. Iran has built an array of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs. The pneumatically launched Ababil (Swallow) has a wingspan of more than 10 feet, and cruises at 160 knots, according to Globalsecurity.org. The Mohajer or Misrad (Migrant) drone is a bit smaller, and slower.

www.asianage.com...

hmm, this ups the anty a bit if true.
Iran supplying solidintel on American locations, supplies, etc etc to people on the ground in Iraq.

interesting we never heard a word up until now.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Did they shoot it down next to the Iraqi weapons of mass destruction?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hmm original link appears to be down.

www.newkerala.com...

blog.wired.com...

only a few tentative links atm

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Im assuming it was delivering them!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I would like to see cold hard evidence of this before I can actually buy it.
Honestly, why would Iran really give an eff? It's been well proven that Saudis have made up the majority of the people resisting Americans. I need cold hard evidence before I will buy anything that American intelligence has to say. They've been pulling the wool over our eyes for decades for gods sakes.If you buy anything that they say without a grain of salt you are ridiulously uninformed.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I don't doubt for a moment that Iran has its finger in the pie in Iraq . Still this strikes as nothing more then a rumor because a drone is hardly in keeping with the low tech insurgency warfare where IEDs , other devices , the ability to disappear into the wood work are all hall marks of the the type of warfare in Iraq . Its not impossible that Iran was trying to find out just what they can get away with in Iraq but I am more inclined to to go with what I mentioned above .

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
They could also just be checking to see if we have a crap load of missiles pointed at them too you know.....or perhaps if we have troops near the boarder?......We would really have to be there and see it in person to know what on earth is up over there right now.
There are stories everyday about fighting in and around that whole area right now. I personally wouldn't blame Iran for wanting to check after the backlash they got from our government. They extended an olive branch and got a spear in return as far as they are concerned.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Put the shoe on the other foot for a moment.

An aggressive foreign nation invades and occupies your next door neighbour on the flimsiest of pretexts, then makes noises about doing it to you next.

Think you might want to gather a bit of intel, or perhaps hamper the occupying forces by supplying them in much the same way as the occupying force supplied and sponsored the previous regime, only stopping when they were of no further use?

Perhaps this may raise some objections in the US?

Then they'd know how the Russians feel about the missile shield...

See what I mean?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Everything is just hypocrisy when it comes to US media and miltary hype, they go hand in hand.

I see by that MSNBC article there they still say that Russia invaded US ally Georgia and not the other way round. The media must gain from human death too.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
CNN just reported this also live on the air, and they reiterated the same information as in the original article. If true, it appears Iran is now playing an active role in Iraq, even if it is limited to fly overs by drones. But the fact remains that this is still playing a role in the region, and may be what forces Iran to explain their intentions, perhaps even an ultimatum.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Its sad when a country 1000's of miles away can lie to invade a country and when that countries neighbour can't even fly a drone there to see whats going on without being labelled provocative and war mongering.

Can anyone else see the US hypocrisy here?

Is it only americans that think they can police the world to their rules without recourse?

new topics

top topics

join