It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whos laid off, or close to it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
my 401 is a 201 now, there has been three hundred guys laid off from my factory alone, and those are indefinite layoffs. My head is on the chopping block next, just wondering if all of Obamas Contruction jobs will bring a rise to the construction equipment industry, that is what we build. Just wondering who else head may or is on the block now or next, I know im not alone out here. I know things just possibly can't turn around quick enough to keep me in my job, or can they? I doubt it, anyways if your one of the laid off guys, sending out my deepest sympathy to you, if you get a chance if you don't mind sharing, tell me what places are laying off where you are. Here its Alcoa, John Deere, Sears manufacturing, Catapillar.

Thanks.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by backyard guru]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
In Alberta Canada the layoffs in the Oil sector are huge. Im on the block and I think at most I have 3 days left... scary stuff as I would guess 1 in 3 jobs here are at risk.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have been laid off since a week before Christmas. I was suppose to get a call back in feb. never got one. Now I have been bugging them. Past month I think I have put in about 3 or 4 applications a day and I hav'nt got a call back or anything. I am stuck, and unemployment is about dried up

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Been laid off since beginning of february, worked for an outsource company building tractor parts for caterpillar and john deere. everytime i talk to someone i had worked with all i hear is them saying it's getting worse. But busy enough for them to still have their job. They laid off going by how much time u had in. Had been there 2 and a half years...

edit to say worked not work.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by lighter78]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by remotemedic

I'm in Alberta too, was laid off,

This sucks

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Nifron]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'm in Alberta as well and I have been laid off for two months already. I do start a new job on tomorrow thankfully. I hope it sticks.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I have recently been unemployed, and to bring in some money, I have been giving guitar lessons. That does not bring in a lot of money, but I like playing music and teaching my students so I guess at least doing some thing I like is good enough. Each student pays 40 dollars a month, and I have about 8 students. Enough money for what I am in, haha, which is a college dorm.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm staying on strike, I've been out since 05. everythings gone. This week the economy looked like the creash is around the corner. I don't beat the dead horses it's more humane to let the dead rest. So this is the the ballon between 6k and 8k points of economic leverage. Nah, I think i'm more lucky that i'm closer to the exit. These financial schemes have been exposed and any education at all probably woudn't let you invest. Good luck to those headed back in.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Been out of work since Dec. 23. My local union membership is down to 25% of its original membership from last year with 560 active members... do the math. The prospect of any new jobs is out of sight for (estimated by the hall) the next 3-7 months. Sucks bad.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Been out since Nov. 1 2008. Half of my friends are in the same situation.........Absolutely Nobody hiring either. No call backs for me, but that's not from lack of trying.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm another member from Alberta. During the huge job and housing boom we had here a couple years ago, my friends were all telling me I was crazy for staying at the warehouse manager job I had. They were all jumping from one place to another for a couple extra bucks here and there. Now many of them are getting laid off.

We've were told last week that there will be no raises this year. 7 people worked in our office and I'm the only one in the warehouse. The secretary retired and we won't be replacing her as we have slowed down some recently. But we've been told that the remaining 6 of us will remain employed for the forseeable future.

No raises kind of sucks but we do okay and have great benefits, too. I feel very lucky. And very happy that I opted to stay here when I could have gone elsewhere to make a couple bucks more. Those jobs have mostly disappeared now, while mine is still here.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I honestly don't know what we are all going to do, I am lucky enough to have a wife who goes to work everyday, and she works on strait commision from sears selling appliances. The people that run sears figured out a way to keep everyone , the people that sell the most get the best of the business hours, the rest get the crappy hours, thank god she can sell...
I am happy right now that we rented a home and not bought one, I still dont have a landlord on the phone offering a rent reduction due to the fall of property value of the home we rent, dont' think i will wait for it to come.

I am so hoping for some kind of miracle in the contruction business. Dont know if it will come though.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
I'm another member from Alberta. During the huge job and housing boom we had here a couple years ago, my friends were all telling me I was crazy for staying at the warehouse manager job I had. They were all jumping from one place to another for a couple extra bucks here and there. Now many of them are getting laid off.

We've were told last week that there will be no raises this year. 7 people worked in our office and I'm the only one in the warehouse. The secretary retired and we won't be replacing her as we have slowed down some recently. But we've been told that the remaining 6 of us will remain employed for the forseeable future.

No raises kind of sucks but we do okay and have great benefits, too. I feel very lucky. And very happy that I opted to stay here when I could have gone elsewhere to make a couple bucks more. Those jobs have mostly disappeared now, while mine is still here.

my question is what happens when the population is 80 percent out of work, what face will the world have then, and how dangerous will it be for those that stay employed at any level.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The company I work for was recently acquired by another company that bought this one out for less than a quarter of what it's really worth. I will be officially unemployed as of April 1st. I do get a severance which is equal to one month's salary. I will also be able to file for unemployment until I find something else.

A family member of mine has worked as an engineer at Caterpillar for 30 years. Two of his fellow co-workers that have been there longer than him were laid off. He was told they may not match his 401K and he may have to take a 20% pay cut to keep his job.

My boyfriend is a welder by trade and has a good work history but has been out of work since October with absolutely NO prospects.

Even though it's a bit off topic here, the house next door to mine went up for sale in August of 2008 for around $89,900. It just sold for $32,000.

Not a pretty picture for anyone right now.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i'm about to be one of the many laid-off. although it's not because of the economic crisis, it's because the company was bought and moved to LA from northern CA. (i've been commuting to LA from SF to interview / hire / train my replacement)
weeee.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I was, I guess laid off in a sense. I was self employed running a daycare out of my home. I worked as a sub-contractor for lack of a better term for an agency that placed children in home daycares. One by one my kids were being pulled from the daycare due to job losses, layoffs, cut hours/pay. People were either making cheaper daycare arrangements or not needing daycare at all. Last summer I was turning people away because my daycare spots were full and I was considering a waiting list...as of January 9, I had no kids left. Because I was self employed I never paid into unemployment so was pretty much screwed. I was aware of the coming economy crunch and had decided last Oct to try to move onto a different job and after putting out 100's of resumes had no prospects. The two interviews I did end up getting, the HR people told me that literally 100's of people had applied for these jobs....and I was not trying to get anything fancy or high paying. Finally in February out of desperation I applied to anything and everything and was hired at a housecleaning company during the day...a week after securing that job, I began working a second job for a fast food restaurant at night. I figured I might as well pick up the second job to pay off some of our debts as I'm sure worse economic times are coming and I want to be as secure as possible.

Three weeks after starting the housecleaning job (which I DESPISE!!) we were told layoffs are a possibility as everyone is obviously trying to save money and we're a luxury service....SIGH...I'm the newest employee, so the future is looking bleak. My husband's company has said no raises this year as well and has cut out overtime which we counted on a lot. I honestly can't take much more of this...I know in my head I should be grateful for having two jobs when some don't have one...but these jobs are so menial and degrading and the pay is atrocious! My heart breaks a little everyday when someone treats me like a half-witted inferior person because of my employment...

Michelle

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I had the "involuntary resignation" experience. My gall bladder became chronically inflated, which meant that the gall stones couldn't pass. Painful is an understatement. My manager's manager said that even with a doctor's note I would still have to resign because of the 5 day recovery period post surgery. I said that she couldn't force me to resign, she could either fire me or let me keep my job since it was a required surgery. Wrong-- she listed it as an "involuntary resignation". My last day was February 9.

Been turning in applications and resumes ever since. Even the "entry level" jobs, which I honestly don't mind. Haven't heard a word back from anybody.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I was laid off in Ottawa, Canada. Did computer work for the Government.

Anyone hiring? I need a job!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just today we had a company meeting in which EVERYONE in the company took a 20% pay cut, we went down to 4 day work week. Right after the meeting my boss said.. "I got dibs on Friday!", lol bastard....

Before that 20 people were laid off. Cant believe I am still there, I still look even though its pointless, but who knows?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
When gas went up to 4.oo a gal. [thanks Bush] it kicked the slats out of my small business that I have owned for 20 years. I had to lay off both my part timers and full time employees and I too am unemployed.
I pick up some part time work as an extra/standin/grip in the movies but that is a far cry from making a living. My credit cards are maxed out; I
hope I can find something more lucrative soon.

Good luck everyone!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join