It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiest's how sad there life's must feel.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
You are totally lost on what the idea of atheism is, and you show it by stating the positives of atheism as though they are negative.

An atheist lives for the right now, not living in fear of some mythical punishment.

An atheist looks at life as the meaning, not the avenue.

An atheist believes in love, not the judgement of those who dont think as they do.

I find it quite amazing that people will sit and spew about something that they obviously do not understand, yet will speak as though they are a scholar on the subject.:bnghd:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm an athiest, and I live a fine life. I have come to the conclusion that the idea of a god and an afterlife is basically used to make someone feel better about death. Not only that, but by believing in a god, many questions are answered: Who created life? God. Who created the universe, the planets, matter, atoms, everything we can see and cannot see? God.

The idea is a crutch, and this is where science comes in, to help REALLY explain where everything came from and how everything started.

I had a evangelical Christian come up to me in my local mall the other day and ask me a few questions: "Do you believe in God?" "Do you believe Jesus Christ died for our sins?" etc etc. Obviously I stated I was an athiest, and that I didn't believe in the idea of a god. He seemed shocked...I guess he doesn't talk to many of us. The conversation was great though...the first thing he did was point at a bench and say "Who made this?" Now, I cannot answer that. The bench is matter, and matter came from somewhere...scientists believe everything supposedly started with the Big Bang, which I'm not totally familiar with. I'll still believe that (which I'm not even familiar with, ironically) over the idea that some supreme being created it.

I'm not against religion though. Many people seem to think that. Look, if you are living your life in a better way because of your faith and religion, good for you. And as Christians may or may not look at athiests as sad and hopeless because they are not following God, and will thus be sent to Hell, I don't view them in a nasty light. Sure, I think they are wrong, and that when they die they aren't going anywhere, but at least they may lead a fulfilling and happy life, which is the point.

As horrible as the idea of death is, my opinion is that there is nothing after this. When you physically die, you are gone. Your mind shuts down, you can't think, you can't feel, your life is over. There is no happy afterlife or misfortune Hell. As sad as it sounds, after this life, you're only life, it's over.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I just want everyone to remember how small we are as humans. The universe is so large, and we are so very little and tiny and nothing. Many of us are here (and on ATS) want to find what else is out there. The idea of there being life outside of Earth is fascinating. There is more space than just us. As I stated, humans are so tiny and small. What sets us apart is our ability to think for ourselves, which is amazing, yet it still doesn't make it that there is a god that created us and is ready to take us in when our physical bodies die. Our physical bodies are all we have. Aside from having a functioning brain, humans are more like a flower or blade of grass than you may think. We live, and we die. And that is it.

So regardless if you are religious or not, I hope you got from this that you should really live THIS life to its fullest. A lot of us (including myself) may try to do so and not succeed, but all we can do is try.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
You know Arkturus, it's funny you mention this. I a a Pagan so of course you and I may not agree on the afterlife but I a always willing to hear and Christian or Atheist or anyone.

I am quite close to graduating in Psychology and there is a school of psychology called existentialism. Essentially some existentialists believe after a certain age when maturity of the mind is reached, people begin to fully realize you will die and that causes unbelievable turmoil and anxiety. Some believe this is what caused religion and philosophy to start in the first place. We know and fear our own mortality. Kudos to you for bringing it up. I thought I would just throw that tidbit in for you since you seem to be a member of the ole thinking humans :-p

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
[edit on 20-3-2009 by Azador]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I used to feel the same way about atheist and even those not of the version of Christianity I was. My mom would even say things like that.

Now that I am on the other side, I am not left with the feelings of hopelessness like I thought.

I have completely wasted about 1/2 my possible life span doing nothing to live my life because of FAITH. I have been freed from the bondages of faith. My life has become more exciting and open. My thinking has expanded. The world has grown. I am taking responsibility for my own life. It is AWESOME being free from faith.

But now I pity those enslaved by faith. My fellow humans duped into the servitude of faith. Please don't waste your life.

Off my soap box.....................

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'll take a stand on the soap-box for a moment.

Christians. You have to understand where an atheist is coming from. Understand their views and what they think. Just because someone may not understand all that is going on you shouldn't say they are unhappy people. I myself am a Christian and I understand the fury that invokes the wrath inside of you because of your sadness for them, but that's not what they understand and that could be vice versa aka saying your not awake, religion is brainwash, ect. We are all humans that have different beliefs although we just want our voices heard until we offend someone. Atheist feel that there is no God. The least you guys can do is hear them out and bashing is pointless and leads to meaningless feuds that leave both drained, angry, and unhappy. So just listen to them and be polite. That's what Jesus Christ would have done. Think how God would respond to His creations that don't believe in Him. He wouldn't bash them but present nothing but utter love to his creation. We are to love our neighbors just like we love ourselves regardless.

Atheists. I, like everyone know that it is in human's own nature to ask questions. You shouldn't put Christians down because you think they are lost sheep and brainwashed by the government to be scared etc. None of that is plausible and all you want to do is get under the Christians skin. We are humans and even though we may have our differences when it comes to beliefs, you could still show respect. That's what the OP was trying to get at but seemed a bit tense as he was writing it. You can't criticize Jesus over His followers. We are all humans and we do make mistakes and it is childish to be a bully to anyone that doesn't believe in what you do. The same goes for Christians. Also atheists, I as a follower of Jesus was taught to spread the message that Jesus is coming and that God is real.

I wasn't brought up in a Christian household or around Christian people. My family hates Christians. As you can see, I got it real easy.

In my defence here, I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong and so on. I have no idea just like the rest of the world. But I have faith. I read a recent post where a guy said "it's AWESOME to be free from faith" or somewhere around there. I believe he doesn't know what faith is. I believe this world is love. Faith is love.

I didn't ask for myself to be here. I didn't have the option to choose to be born. But I'm here in this world and I want to make the best of it and love it regardless of the people. Everyone makes mistakes guys. No one is in fact perfect on anything they do. If you think and reason regardless of religion or how bad a guy God is, you realize that this whole place IS spiritual. I understand I may get some disagreements but who does know? What did Jesus know? (If he was real) I see all of us on this planet to live, learn, and love each other. If you see the state of the world, there really is hardly any love. When was the last time an atheist has shown love to a Christian after a debate regardless the beliefs? Jesus preached love. That's all we need. Regardless you believe in God or not Christians pray for people because they love them. Humans tend to take the original story and mix it up and down the line, the story is completely different from how it started. The main point about all this religion to me is that there is a God. No doubt about it. Jesus was here to teach us how to live and love and know that there is a God. People fly off a leash and kill him. It's humans rationality that gets the best of them. People make mistakes.

Now that I am coming to a close, I don't mean to debate atheists or anything of the sort, I just want you to see a real Christians understanding and motives. If you disagree, fine by me. We are all human. No one is better than the other. I just pray everyone regardless can take a new approach to love in this world and help make it better.

Off the soap-box.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Water-tastes-good

Great post. Without trying to offend, the world seriously needs more Christians like you. You alone are a fine example of what religion can do to make someone a decent human being.

Kudos.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
FINALLY!!!

A Christian voice of reason. One who knows and loves his God, tries to spread the message but knows respect and humility towards others. Well done for you...YOU are the type that will have the chance to bring people to your own faith.

-Kyo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join