It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Can Find Out Where You Are by Scanning Your Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Using not much more than a brain scanner, scientists have successfully found a way to read people’s minds—or at least, certain thoughts in them. A London research team was able to determine where its volunteer subjects were located, in a computer-generated virtual environment, by using fMRI scanning to analyze activation patterns in the hippocampus area of their brains. After correlating this information with the subjects’ movements, the researchers found that they could accurately predict their subjects’ locations based solely on the scanner read-out.

Amazing don't you think, once again this can be used to help humanity or the opposite. That is what I love about science and research, the more we learn the more problems we face. Through these problems we find solutions, these solutions creates more problems, it is an infinite cycle which will end when humanity is abolished.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Edit: Forgot to add the link.

[edit on 053131p://31b3 by Ownification]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Great article.

I think this is just more evidence that we live in a simulated reality or a holographic universe.

Our world seems to be an informational construct and the question becomes where is this information coming from.

Is a parallel universe being projected into are local reality? Is a universe from a higher dimension being projected into are local universe? This would support earth being a projection of Heaven or the saying as above, so below like the ancients use to say. Our universe could be a 3-dimensional projection of a higher dimensional universe.

It could also be a quantum computer that's computing these local realities like Professor Seth Lloyd says.

This is an interesting article about the holographic universe:

If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram."
www.newscientist.com...

The GEO600 was designed to detect gravity ways but may have stumbled onto the edge of space-time. It's sort of like that movie The Thirteenth Floor when he reaches the edge of reality.

Good article.

[edit on 16-3-2009 by platosallegory]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ownification
once again this can be used to help humanity or the opposite.

I would be willing to bet on the latter
.. No seriously, didn't the Japanese just develop the first mind read mapping technology?.. in other words.. the dream reading machine?.. I can only imagine the violations of the future.. virtual rape, virtual theft, virtual murder, etc.. think about it, this can really happen..

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion

Originally posted by Ownification
once again this can be used to help humanity or the opposite.

I would be willing to bet on the latter
.. No seriously, didn't the Japanese just develop the first mind read mapping technology?.. in other words.. the dream reading machine?.. I can only imagine the violations of the future.. virtual rape, virtual theft, virtual murder, etc.. think about it, this can really happen..

That's definately true. Virtual reality is advancing and there could be some strange things that can occur.

We could have a virtual reality internet and everyone will be hooked up to the virtual reality like that movie eXistenz. In the virtual reality internet you could be who or what you want to be and you can also carry out crimes.

Who is to say we are not in someones virtual reality right now? Millions of years could go by in virtual reality but in the world where the virtual reality originated only a few days.

You could take information from the internet now and create virtual worlds with histories and the virtual beings would not know that they are in a virtual reality.

Maybe reality is virtual and there's only one real Source, energy, information or quantum computer that's real and it manifests these local virtual realities that we are experiencing.

I think it may also create two worlds.

You would have a world where people who have a good life may not use virtual reality internet as much but those who are struggling in life may be a music mogul in the virtual reality so that's where they spend most of their time.

If a virtual reality internet was created would you hook yourself into it?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
First of all heck no. Computer viruses for the brain, bad idea. I can't reformat that...

second... The matrix has you..

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's not so much "The Matrix".. the inevitable seems to resemble the film "eXistenz" more accurately.. think about it

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
It's not so much "The Matrix".. the inevitable seems to resemble the film "eXistenz" more accurately.. think about it

I agree. It would be more like eXistenz because you wouldn't know when you were in a virtual reality or a real reality. If the universe is a quantum computer like MIT Professor Seth Lloyd says it is then it just produces these realities.

If you're in a virtual reality and that virtual reality discovers virtual reality and this continues ad infinitum, how can you know if you are in a real world?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Here's some more news about virtual reality:

The first virtual reality headset that can stimulate all five senses has been developed. What was it really like to live in Ancient Egypt? What did the streets there actually look, sound and smell like? For decades, Virtual Reality has held out the hope that, one day, we might be able visit all kinds of places and periods as 'virtual' tourists.

Scientists from the Universities of York and Warwick now believe they have been able to pinpoint the necessary expertise to make this possible, in a project called 'Towards Real Virtuality'.

'Real Virtuality' is a term coined by the project team to highlight their aim of providing a 'real' experience in which all senses are stimulated in such a way that the user has a fully immersive perceptual experience, during which s/he cannot tell whether or not it is real.

www.sciencedaily.com...

I think we will be able to immerse ourselves into virtual realities before we create artificial intelligence.

The problem with full immersion into these virtual realities is if you are killed in these virtual realities could it kill you. I remember waking up from a bad dream and my heart was racing. I guess these things will have to be tested.

top topics

join