It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has the best quality knives?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hey, I'm just curious what online knife companies have the best quality knives? I've had...mixed results before. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Go ask your butcher, he'll know...

And you can do a simple google search for reviews on quality knive sets of all kinds.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I do not know too much about knives, but out of the ones I do have and have had, I have always had the best luck with Gerber knives.

I have one that I use as sort of a tool for everything and I do mean everything. From cutting to opening paint cans. I have had that one for quite some time.

Truth be told, alot of how long a knife lasts depends on how well you take care of it. I keep mine sharpened and clean. I use a cheap sharpening set that consists of a sharpening stone and this special oil that you put on the stone to help pull any metal shavings away from the knife while sharpening.

I have found that if you over sharpen it, the blade goes dull much faster...

I have other knives that are some off brand that I have really never heard of and they do just fine as well although I do not use them as often or for the same jobs I use my Gerber knives for.

I like knives and I have a small collection of them.

I am rambling now though, so I will just say, I am a fan of Gerber Brand knives, for me they have always been sturdy, long lasting and high quality. The price is usually pretty reasonable for them although I have seen some gerber knives get pretty expensive.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I enjoy Cold Steel and Gerber.
But - that was 10 years ago before I moved out of the States.
The knives I have are still going strong and just as good as when I bought them (used daily) - but - I don’t know if the quality of knife for these brands has declined in the last decade.

peace

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrinningMan
Hey, I'm just curious what online knife companies have the best quality knives? I've had...mixed results before. Thanks!

Sir many survivalists swear by makers of folding knives such as
Cold Steel
Blade Tech
Buck
Gerber
Benchmade
Columbia River Knife and tool Company.
Fixed blades tend to be
K bar
Cold steel
CRKT
Gerber
AG RUSSELL
Falkniven etc.
But theres dozens of good companies out there.
Bloody hell I forgot Spyderco as one of the leading makers of great folders.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Another idea.

If there is a military surplus store in your area, check it out. They have all kinds of GREAT knives, that are military quality. but they tend to be VERY expensive.

There is one down my street that is called the Texas Army/navy store and the knives there are amazing.

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket it couldnt hurt to check it out.although if you are under 18 they may not sell them too you.

They wouldnt sell them to me when I was under 18 but that may be just a Texas law, I dont know.

One thing I have learned is that when it comes to knives, the phrase, "You get what you pay for", does not always apply. I have had $200.00 knives that last a month (I wasnt too happy about that) and $10.00 knives that lasted years.

Do as you are doing. ask around about what knives are best. Consider exactly what you will want to do with your knife and ask what would be the best knife for that job.

If you are looking for a hunting knife for example, perhaps do some research online and look up recommended hunting knives on google or some other search engine. Hopefully this is atleast a bit helpful.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I enjoy Cold Steel and Gerber.
But - that was 10 years ago before I moved out of the States.
The knives I have are still going strong and just as good as when I bought them (used daily) - but - I don’t know if the quality of knife for these brands has declined in the last decade.

peace

Gerber, in my opinion has not. I can not speak for Cold Steel though Because I have never owned a Cold Steel brand knife.

I have a Gerber knife that is, I think, about 14 years old and it is doing just as great as my newer ones. I have never seen any signs of lower quality in the newer ones. I use mine everyday as well, so for what thats worth....

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGrinningMan

Sabatier makes good quality pocket knives but are one of the best at making kitchen kniveswww.sabatier-shop.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I am surprised at the quality of a lot of the Chinese made knives. I have a few Cold Steel products and think they are very good for the price. Gerbers are nice as well as Kabar, Case knives are pricey and geared more toward the collectors. I have a Brazilian "Tramontina" machete that is easily sharpened to an edge you can shave with, but I prefer to shave with a straight razor of German carbon steel..... My father always used either Case or I-Brand (German) Knives in his butcher shop....There are are a lot of imports that are of good quality but you are taking a chance with a name that hasn't been named already.... A Knife dealer that is also an enthusiast will not tarnish his reputation by selling junk....

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You could do what everybody else does and get a CRKT, SOG, Benchmade or some other mass produced blade.

Or you could go nuts and get a Busse or a Wilson.

Wilson Tactical

More Wilson Knives

Busse Combat

Personally, I cant afford to go nuts on a blade. My nuts money usually goes to firearms.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
For a good quality fixed blade at really low prices then nothing beats Ontario knife company. I have a 14" tanto that i've had for 10 years and never needed to sharpen it. It has cut down several tree's up to 6" in diameter with no problems.

Also Ka-bar makes very high quality knives for reasonable prices.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Go ask your butcher, he'll know...

And you can do a simple google search for reviews on quality knive sets of all kinds.

~Keeper

Butcher knives are regulated by health restrictions and trade requirements. They are in many countries required to be stainless steel. Same with knives used by Chefs. This is very different from the requuirements for a survival knife.
While I respect stainless for its limited rusting and staining properties, I have never been enamoured with the sharpening qualities of most stainless in its ability to hold an edge.
My preference is carbon steel...but this is being replaced more and more with stainless of marginal qualities in most stores.

For utility a folder is nice but for pure survival a fixed blade is more practical.

Also bear this in mind...in survial...a knife is a very indespensable tool. At the same time look at the people around you who have little respect for a knife of any kind and abuse them horribly. Even the kinves borrowed from others. Nothing torques my jaws like someone borrowing my knife and abusing it. Next to a screwdriver ..a knife is probably the most abused tool in the inventory/tool box.
Also ..not many people know how to maintain one and keep it sharp.

Take care of and respect your knife as a useful and valuable tool..especially in a survival situation.
If I dont have a knife on me of one type or another I dont feel properly dressed. When I wear a suit and tie I simply switch to my thin swiss army type knife.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Probably the best knife you can get is an Extrema ratio.
www.extremaratioknivesdivision.eu...

If you choose carefully, CRKT do make some really good knives.
The Carson M16 folder is a classic.
www.crkt.com...

I recently treat myself to a 7" ultima
www.crkt.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Cold Steel
Blade Tech
Buck
Gerber
Benchmade
Columbia River Knife and tool Company.
Fixed blades tend to be
K bar
Cold steel
CRKT
Gerber
AG RUSSELL
Falkniven etc.
But theres dozens of good companies out there.
Bloody hell I forgot Spyderco as one of the leading makers of great folders.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

Cold Steel was on your list twice, so Ill take that as an endorsement

I carry a cold steel knife, and use it in my kitchen when kitchen knives dont get it done.

For a knife buyer planning for sit-x, grab and try everything. Buy what feels fit. There are alot of good knives out there, be it gerber, cs, case, whatever, they will hold up for your lifetime. Use what is right for you. I personally like cs, but that may not be the case for you.

Good shopping.

new topics

top topics

join