It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools turn to mass layoffs to ease deficits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Schools turn to mass layoffs to ease deficits

www.reuters.com

Some U.S. public school districts are turning to mass layoffs of teachers and support staff to ease ballooning deficits in the latest sign of how the recession is hurting ordinary Americans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well this is just great!!!...

Now teachers are being put on notice that they may not be working with there school by the end of the year because of insufficient funding..

So...saving a bunch of banks and other financial institutes is more important than maintaining the level of education we have to provide our children with the tools to run this country in a couple of decades.

I really think this goverment should start looking a little closer as to were they feel priorities should be...

Peace

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Right now, teaching is supposedly one of the 'safe' jobs. With lots of experienced teachers looking for less jobs, that appears to be passe. Is nothing safe, short of keeping a big hoard of cash and gold?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It is very sad that we must sacrifice our children's education for the sake of banks and big business on Wall-Street, very sad indeed.

Then again what really did you expect? We now have the biggest pro business admistration in recent history, and they are certainly not look forward to having an educated, critical thinking population.

Nobody's job is safe in these times, businesses will cut as they please to reduce costs and attempt to keep themselves away from bankrupcy.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
You'de almost think goverment is not interested in educating the future generations...

hmmmm, i really wonder why that is??

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Ofourse they don't want them educated. Were peasents educated? Did the kings and queens pay for them to get decent living, education, healthcare? Ofcourse not.

We've been cleverly deceived into thinking that the times of Kings and Queens ended long ago, sadly this is not true. They simply called it democracy instead of monarchy.

We are still just "tenants" (peasants) living off the "king's" land and working to buy the queen a new dress.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
In the old days you could work the land near the castle and when a foreign body invaded you could seek shelter behind the castle walls....unless ofcourse you'd pay your taxes.

Without the threat of invading armies goverments think up a lot of goofy sh*t to keep their people dumb and scared.....
Terrorist-threat and the war on...aren't scaring us enough anymore so let's enter the financial crisis/credit-crunch

ARE YOU SCARED??

Beter do what you're goverment tells you and they'll make the evil go away.....

Big deal, they created it!! Create a problem and provide the sollution, best way to enslave a continent.

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The govt. is very clever. Educated Americans are the least loyal servants. However foreign educated workers that provides the means to keep America up ahead in terms of technology and development are the most loyal servants.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Ofourse they don't want them educated. Were peasents educated? Did the kings and queens pay for them to get decent living, education, healthcare? Ofcourse not.
~Keeper

So what's to prevent you or anyone from passing on your knowledge? In fact I would go one step further to say that the knowledge transfer associated with the public education system would hinder free and analytical thinking. As a parent you owe it to your children to prepare them in spite of what is taught. Sure there are fundamentals but nothing that some dedication and preparation could not address.

One could also argue that the current education system also has its share of waste. I'm sure some of the fat can be trimmed but when I see the numbers coming out of California that seems a tad excessive.

brill

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

I agree with you to a certain level....

I have three sons. Now i can give them the basics of education like maths and spelling but i'm sure as h*ll glad that i didn't get my education in IT from my dad 'couse with his level of computer knowledge i couldn't get a job packing pc's....

What i mean is when my boys choose what kind of education is best for them i cannot pass them knoledge i do not posses.
What if one of them wants to be a fashiondesigner or hairdresser.....i would def. be not the best source of knowledge for them!!

The need for quality education is on that cannot be underestimated.....

Peace

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by brill

I agree with you to a certain level....

I have three sons. Now i can give them the basics of education like maths and spelling but i'm sure as h*ll glad that i didn't get my education in IT from my dad 'couse with his level of computer knowledge i couldn't get a job packing pc's....

What i mean is when my boys choose what kind of education is best for them i cannot pass them knoledge i do not posses.
What if one of them wants to be a fashiondesigner or hairdresser.....i would def. be not the best source of knowledge for them!!

The need for quality education is on that cannot be underestimated.....
Peace

My understanding was that the bulk of jobs being turfed were at public school level not so much at colleges/universities (not to imply that they too wouldn't impose cuts). Naturally any type of post secondary education is specialized so that point is moot. My thoughts were directed more at providing 'out of the box' thinking as opposed to the spoon fed crap at public schools. The very fabric that goes against the mainstream

brill

new topics

top topics

join