It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 96
<< 93  94  95    97  98  99 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Cool! I see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not lack of oxygen from my brain shutting down.

Your last working thread post wasn't hard to understand. I know what you mean - I so often feel like I get misunderstood too. I often worry I come across cold when I'm so not like that at all. I 'spose it's all those years of working in the corporate world and writing business emails - the professionalism comes across cold. I was a corporate credit manager for the movie/music studio Universal so most of those emails were - just the facts. Accounting ugh. Don't miss it in the least - oh wait - I DO miss the paycheck! Being a stay at home mom is *the* hardest job I've had. So sorry everyone. I'll try to add more of my personal flair ::twirls:: lol

::hides:: Sowwie, I'm not going to cut down the length of my post. I've read it several times and I feel all info is needed for logic to get to point A to B and there's no added fluff. I need to have the info about describing the various weapons ect.

As far as the inital battle, I wasn't there so you and Silo can both write this senario as you two were. You may want to colaborate about it generally first tho lol

Oh and Silo, lol not putting the blame on you at all. If I recall, it was that darn Ackerman who started this whole thing off!

Again Studious, thanks for working with me. It's been a positive collaborative experience.

Oh the drama!! If Antar reacted that way to the Yydryl security team walking into the RB without permission, how might she react to rouge humans invading her space!! This is going to be good!

Edit for *massive* spelling errors ;P

[edit on 5/24/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Oh I know you weren't (blamming me)... I’m just in a great mood for teasing atm.

And yeah my thanks goes out to both of you.
It’s a blast this *collaborating* thingy - especially when people actually collaborate!

As for the scene.
I’m still stuck in time standing there waiting for someone to respond to: “What’s your name” = (Talking to Twitchy).
But I can work around that no problem.
Then I have to figure out why I’m touching my cheek - that’s going to be fun.
Why?
Cause whatever caused my *dazed* and *fascinated* look - is going to give me an opportunity to by pass describing the battle.

So - take it away Studious, I’ll follow your lead!

ADDED NOTE: It's really too bad we're missing a few writers these last few days - I've missed them...But hope they had a great weekend...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

As far as you rubbing your cheek - you had mentioned while we were trying to hash it out that perhaps Studious punched you or something.

Ah, did he punch you, slap you, or give you that lil caress? Or maybe that twitcy guy had a major twitch! OOoo I can't wait to find out!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
Ah, did he punch you, slap you, or give you that lil caress? Or maybe that twitcy guy had a major twitch! OOoo I can't wait to find out!

Nay, come again, Good Whisper; I am a gentleman.

(Modified quote from "Taming of the Shrew")

::hides:: Sowwie, I'm not going to cut down the length of my post. I've read it several times and I feel all info is needed for logic to get to point A to B and there's no added fluff. I need to have the info about describing the various weapons ect.

Oh, that's not what I meant. I meant separating both of our posts and assembling those pieces in chronological order. I made an example of what I meant Here.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Studious]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

This is a fabulous idea and would fix everything! Bravo to you for a creative solution!

A few questions after reading your pdf edit:

I would need to revise the following for Masqua to edit -
-I see both teams - six humans total. You are all now on the same deck. Your last post did say one team went left, the other right so this stays with logic. I think I'd originally said five, then after last nights discussion changed it to three. I could simply have masqua change the line back to six and delete everything after the prejudice to humans line. I then simply make a new post with the rest of it.

-the only thing in your post I would ask to change is my line to Monroe after his firing into the the smoke of "Welcome aboard" Just delete and I'll disarm him.

-I captured you in my post. You have me capturing someone else. I would need to add what I do with this peep before continuing down the hall to meet up with you. And, you have me just dropping down the ceiling in front of you versus roping you. No problems here, I just want to only use the line 'welcome to the Yydryl once and to you not the npc.

-My opinion here would be do the opposite. LOL not being difficult am I? Just for dramatic effect as well as less work on Masqua. I'd like to disarm the NPC and rope you for drama. I thought it was powerful how I mentioned your name in the post, roped you, then dropped down in front of you with the line of "Welcome..." Also, you can't extend your hand if you are all tied up if we decide to go this dicrection.

So, if we were to do this it would be pretty easy on Masqua. He'd just have to edit the number of humans I see on deck three. Ugh, I didn't keep a copy of my original post which I accounted something happening to each and every human. 2 paralyzed, one dead, one laying in agony, you unharmed.

With your awesome suggestion, I can make these observations on my follow up post returning them to pretty much what it was first. Reading your post I see that: Ackerman is hit in the leg with the nerve pistol, Ford disappers in a point of light, Evans and Nathan both become paralyzed. So there's no dead human body laying about? Bah, I'll have to delete that out. Whisper was going to pick up a limb, put in her pocket, and take it to her room for munching later. Crunch crunch lol I can let that go as we've worked a long time pulling this together. Nice work man!

Edit: Star 4U!

2nd Edit: what kind of gas are you using? Eeek Silo - how does this effect me and you I wonder! We can't be immune to everything lol I hope it just give me some wicked bad stomach cramps or something!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

2nd Edit: what kind of gas are you using? Eeek Silo - how does this effect me and you I wonder! We can't be immune to everything lol I hope it just give me some wicked bad stomach cramps or something!

Perfect(?) explanation why I'm standing there rubbing my cheek.
The gas.
I'm, well, in a *daze*...
???

Would that work???

Whisper was going to pick up a limb, put in her pocket, and take it to her room for munching later. Crunch crunch lol I can let that go as we've worked a long time pulling this together. Nice work man!

How disgustingly funny!
ew ew ew
But still funny.
Makes me think Monty P.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Disregard our two Story Thread posts entirely for the moment.

The pdf document clears up all of the aforementioned continuity problems.

-I see both teams - six humans total. You are all now on the same deck. Your last post did say one team went left, the other right so this stays with logic. I think I'd originally said five, then after last nights discussion changed it to three. I could simply have masqua change the line back to six and delete everything after the prejudice to humans line. I then simply make a new post with the rest of it.

If we use the four post solution in the pdf document, it makes sense that only three would be seen in the beginning. The others are not mentioned because when they arrive the smoke is already everywhere.

-the only thing in your post I would ask to change is my line to Monroe after his firing into the the smoke of "Welcome aboard" Just delete and I'll disarm him.

-I captured you in my post. You have me capturing someone else. I would need to add what I do with this peep before continuing down the hall to meet up with you. And, you have me just dropping down the ceiling in front of you versus roping you. No problems here, I just want to only use the line 'welcome to the Yydryl once and to you not the npc.

-My opinion here would be do the opposite. LOL not being difficult am I? Just for dramatic effect as well as less work on Masqua. I'd like to disarm the NPC and rope you for drama. I thought it was powerful how I mentioned your name in the post, roped you, then dropped down in front of you with the line of "Welcome..." Also, you can't extend your hand if you are all tied up if we decide to go this dicrection.

In the pdf version Monroe is hit by a stun blast. Studious is the one who gets roped. (I assumed Studious was roped Indiana Jones Style around the waist so reaching out for a handshake would be possible.

So, if we were to do this it would be pretty easy on Masqua. He'd just have to edit the number of humans I see on deck three.

I believe it would be easier for Masqua to delete both of our posts entirely and copy paste the new versions in place. That way he does not have to search for specific lines to change.

So there's no dead human body laying about? Bah, I'll have to delete that out.

Unnecessary, I didn't write it very clearly but I meant to say that all of his mangled body disappeared in a flash of light. (Sorry no munching for what I have planned.) I've deleted the old pdf I had and added the new one which states this more clearly.

The new pdf also highlights in blue the portions which do not fit together in the posts. See here for New pdf.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Studious]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Tried but still can't get the file to download.
Oh well.

I'll just wait to see what you two come up with before I put anything together...

Thanks though...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
So we are not so advanced huh? If they cut open the belly of a living organic being on my watch I would ahve known it, if they had entered the ship we would ahve known it, the ship would have known it.

I dont like the negative direction this is going and there has been NO collaboration or discussion with me about any of this.

When silo said that the 'crew' had made these decissions, why did that exclude me? Would you prefer that antar die or leave the opera? I have asked for u2us to be sent as I have been VERY very busy in other matters but am willing to jump in here at any moment.

Meantime there are problems that were going on that are just being ignored. Galactic problems that nature has announced on a couple of different occassions.

I have NO intention of fighting with the humans as they are needed for the future missions to save the Galaxy from the Dark Matter that is currently pulling or ripping the very fabric of the universe. I have said so much in past posts when I was not busy making corrections and highlighting others characters.

The Whales would have known... They have free rein of the ship and are extremely advanced life forms. Negative energy is easy to pick up and they would have sensed it before the humans ever started hurting the ship.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Studious the pdf versions work well - Curious as to why you highlighted the Silo part as the part not in line with congruency but didn't highlight the dead body. Trade you on these two. I'll remove the dead body. Agree with you on the roping as well regarding having your hands free - hadn't thought of that! Otherwise everything looks fine and I think you and I should post parts 3 and 4 so we have these slots. If you agree, send masqua a u2u with a link to your pdf. As there are pics and such, with mine he'll only need to make a deletion.

We are hosting a post race party in mere minutes so, if we could solidify this segment now that would be awesome. Again, thanks for your work on this.

Went a. and posted part 3 of the pdf. These chocolate covered strawberries I made rock!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
SEEKER!!!!!

lol

Hurry up and edit your post because it's incorrect with the events that "actually" took place as opposed to what's there.

Oh noes!!!!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Mmmmkay... I'm really confused I guess. Doesn't help that my net operates at the speed of sloth.

In Studious' last post, he blew open the doors to the room where am I being held as far as I can tell. What did I miss?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

There were some continuity issues after Studious posted before. They hashed out a solution(ish) which can be found in pdf format here:

media.abovetopsecret.com...

If I'm correct, they decided that Studious did indeed get captured by whisper and whoever it is that blew your door open isn't/wasn't Studious. Just thought you might want to edit before your timer runs out and this gets waaaaaay more confusing than it already was.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN

Mmmmkay... I'm really confused I guess. Doesn't help that my net operates at the speed of sloth.

I'm sorry I hope I wont get dinged but I spat my coffee out when I read that.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, here's the thing. This story is a collaboration, meaning it's not always going to go the way we individual writers want it to.

This doesn't mean it's going in a negative direction. Personally, I'm starting to see collaboration that we haven't seen in this project so far. It's amazing to watch to be honest. Wish I had a better connection to experience it with.

If things aren't going the way you wanted them to go, it doesn't mean that we don't want you to keep writing. In all honestly, I love to read what you write. You're very good at it. Don't take things personally.

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that the Penelope and the Yydryl were on even footing. The Yydryl shouldn't be so powerful that it can totally supersede anything that other writers may want to work in that add some risk and drama.

If you remember, the opera started with some mind control issues on the Penelope end. Everyone made a pretty good story out of it in my opinion.

Point being, it's a collab that we're working on here and that means working with each of the writer's stories. Just because broader issues are being ignored for the time being doesn't mean we won't get to them eventually.

It's a great story we've got going and I hope you stay Antar, I really do.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Gotcha, fixing post now. I can't really download anything right now or I would be on top of this. Sorry all.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

I'm glad you said that. I didn't want to broach the subject and come across sounding like I was trying to stir up drama, but the Yydryl and the Penelope ARE supposed to be on even footing.

Your Captain's claim he could "disable" my ship for me - I took that as a veiled challenge (in character). mf_luder no more believes that than he does that pigs can fly.

The mind control stuff was/is interesting to a point, but not so much so that it makes it to where our "human" crew can't function and our weapons/technology are worthless.

All that being said - I concur with seeker here. This is hands down one of the most interesting projects I've ever had the privilege of being a part of. Everyone is doing a superb job and I love logging on about 1000 times a day just to see if there's a new post.

Hopefully we can keep this good effort moving forward.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

If they cut open the belly of a living organic being on my watch I would have known it,

Antar, Ship was silenced. Studious anesthetized/drugged the Ship.
Ship's not invulnerable as we’re finding out - a stroke of genius on Studious’at soem point Slayer and Whisper can get together to figure out how to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

...if they had entered the ship we would have known it, the ship would have known it.

Ship was unable to signal an alarm - only way I knew was my pendants worked like this before as it reads Ships emotions.

As for the whales and their part in this.
It’s never been expounded on *in story* what the whales really are and are not capable of.
Logically if the range of their abilities have yet to be explained *in story* then none of the new scene(s) clash.

Don't forget, the whales started out as your pets.
You brought them with you, the Captain gave you permission to keep them. (Cool that!)
But, without any build up in the story line they went from pets to having *free run* of the Ship. (Hmmm, Shaky that.)
I’m sure this left the readers wondering - we crew members just *flowed with it*.

So, maybe in drugging Ship the drugs got into the whales water?
Or maybe they’re just so incredibly intelligent and all seeing they had faith the crew members would succeed in defending Ship and went back to doing whatever whales do aboard a Star Ship? In other words whales don’t sweat the small stuff, lol. (Sorry Studious).

I don't like the negative direction this is

Negative? Nothing negative here.
We’re doing just what the C. Luder wants in killing off some NI’s and capturing poor deranged Studious.

We put no words in other writers mouths or commanded their cahracters.
We told no one else what to do without asking those involved.
We kept in line and in sync with the story line so far.
We truly *collaborated* and WE HAD FUN.

Why did that exclude me?

No one excluded you, you weren't here and the story moved on. We've all been there at some point. What is important is we keep on moving and don't forget:

This is "OUR" baby not mine or yours.
Pre writing scenes is always risky business and writers need to be able to bend with the flow of the river.
Don't take it personal if in a collaboration the river bends in the opposite direction of your ideas, that is the fun part of this, like a improve always ready to stand up to the moment.

The Penelope and the Yydryl are on equal footing - regardless of the number of times the Yydryl has taken over their crew using mind control and *disabled* their vessel etc.

So they rocked and rolled a bit - can't blame 'em for that!

Lets just get back to having some fun here!

[edit on 25-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I reckon we've all had to deal with some curves thrown our way upon occasion. That's part of what makes this project so much fun - it forces us to stretch our minds to deal with things we didn't see coming.

Now the fact is that I've always seen Yydryl as vastly different from Penelope. Not so much technologically superior as just plain different. To my mind, it's what makes Yydryl so spectacularly ALIEN. I just can't conceive of some of the things that crew has come up with. I mean, neno killed Penelope's navigator in cold blood, and still doesn't know why. But I rolled with it, and the course of history has righted itself.

I've got a question, though. If Yydryl DOES have that much of an edge on Penelope, why would they need the help of lowly U-Mans for much of anything? They've already got pets over there, and food. Penelope must have SOMETHING going on, or we'd be pretty much supernumary to the story. Penelope would be like an extra pinky - it's there, but what use is it?

Now Studious has demonstrated the MAIN human trait, the one for which technology has no answer. Ingenuity. I'll tell you from first hand experience that anything that IS, can be got around. Anything. Now forget for the moment that his character is stark raving, barking at the moon MAD. Forget also, just for the moment, that he's being led about by the nose by his subordinates, when he should have planted a boot in their butts and told THEM what to do, rather than the other way 'round. Forget that he's trying to start a war without authorization, NI conduct notwithstanding. Forget all that, and realize that he has uncovered a glaring weakness in the alien technology of bio-ship design. Forget for the moment all the imperfections, and focus on that one shining strength. Ingenuity. I'd have never thought of it, but then I don't make a habit of breaking into other folks bio-ships. The point is, whatever super-tech the universe throws at us, and that includes the Dark Lord, humans will find a way around it, or just charge straight through.

Luder - you log in 1000 times a day? I can't do that. I'd have to log out first. And another thing: do you mean to tell me pigs CAN'T fly!?!?! 'Scuse me, I gotta go rethink some things....

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Thanks guys I guess I was just having a moment... Felt left out and just out of the loop and behind, plus I was not understanding the working thread verses what I was reading in the story, so I really felt left out and uninformed... hate that!

Well tomorrow is another day, so we will just have to see.

Happy Memorial Day.

top topics

<< 93  94  95    97  98  99 >>

join