It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 91
<< 88  89  90    92  93  94 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Thats what I thought too Deson, the shield opens to block swords and bullets, some lighter fare laser weapons, not big, maybe sandwich size as it opens?
As for recouping the blades, YUCK, I will keep a supply of them as backup... Pulling them out of a brain or somewhere is not my idea of Friendly...

ANYONE lead me to understand ASHER???

The shield (assuming that I take the time to make it along with my other projects) does not fold. It's strapped onto your left forearm. The blades are retracted before it's launched. Yes, sandwich sized is a pretty decent way to think of it. maybe at most a sandwich and a half. Never thought that I'd be using sandwiches as a measuring tool. (chuckle).

In the meantime, here is a render of ONE of the completed Shuriken blades that I've textured. I still need to build the central pivot, scabbards, and 7 more blades. The silvery circular area towards the blade end is a weight to improve it flight and penetration. The one in the area away from the blade is where the pivot point and mounting points for the other 7 blades will go.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ea49bcd88f7.jpg[/atsimg]

-----------------------------------------

On the bad news, about your pistol Antar. I feel that there is no way that it could be done without either violating a law of physics or giving severe penalties towards it's use with those kind of stats.

Originally posted by antar
My gun has to be really smooth and sleek. It looks more like a silver pistol with a longer barrell. It has the ability to scortch through any material with the circumference of about a 5 foot in diameter circle and shoot with pinpoint accuracy up to a two and a half mile distance.

It is made of a highly polished material not found on earth but has the look of a cross between palladium and platinum. It has several different emmiters which can be used for close up and for less agrivated assault, even stun.

It is very light weight and easy to handle if you know what you are doing.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by antar]

Pistol: ok, can be done.
Multiple Barrels: ok, can be done.
Sleek: Can be done.
Variable power: Can be done.(stun for example)
Switching from one mode to another: Difficult but can be done.

Here is where we hit into problems.

Heat: Using those kind of stats that you wanted (Burn through anything and range of 2.5 miles) the heat from your own beam would cook you when you fired it. Think of people in a foundry where they make steel. They have to wear heavy insulated clothing to keep from cooking and that's only at the melting point of steel. Let alone titanium! Plus who knows what material compounds (layered for example) would be available at a high tech like is in the thread.

Power supply: I even contemplated mounting a micro matter/anti matter reactor in the handle. It just wouldn't work, and besides, you throw around a tech like that and it would unbalance things I feel. You could have it feed off your "life energy". But there would be of course limitations. For example, you would need to be in good health to recharge it. If you are badly wounded or sick, there wouldn't be enough.

Range: ok, 2.5 miles is a bit far with a pistol to nail a human sized target. Essentially a sniper rifle in a pistol size? You need the mass of a rifle to hold it steady. Even if you had a pistol that could shoot that far and had a scope that would allow such targeting your own muscles would work against you to hit the target at such range.

Collateral damage: ok, assuming a pistol that can shoot through anything imagine the following scenario. You see a u-man in the hall that you want to shoot. You shoot! You score! The beam keeps going right on through the U-man (since it'll burn through anything) and proceeds to punch a hole in the hull of the Yydryl in the process.

------------------------------------------------------

So do you see the problem? Here's what I suggest. I'll work on trying to develop a pistol that can either fire a narrow beam or a wider beam. But there will be limits as far as what it can do and how much. I'll try to keep it feasible for technology that's been described but not so powerful that it overshadows everything else.

Does that sound workable to you?

-Deson

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson
Why can't she be a member of the thread? I thought that the Press Corp were members. Or am I mistaken? Is there some sort of conflict of interest involved? Or would it simply be a matter of setting aside the time?

Hey Deson: For Tentickles, it was just a matter of having enough time. She told me the Press Corp was more time intensive then even she had imagined. I was bummed about not having her as an addition, she wouldn't have even had to change her avatar if she was aboard the Yydryl.

Deson, you have so many projects. I'm on a quest this weekend for my Whip of Seething Sorrow (lol everyone still working on the name here.) It's my hope I can find a pic similar to what I'm looking for, then write the rest of the whips characteristics myself.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Deason,

When I lived in Sedona Az. I met a very handsome gentleman who I instantly felt a connection to, he was um, not exactly dressed for the time period when I met him...

Anyway I took him home and we naturally became Tantric Lovers.

After a couple of days of intimacy only a married couple should know, he said, "I have to go somewhere but I will be back in a few minutes".

I said fine. He left and a few minutes later returned with a briefcase size metallic futuristic looking case.

He said, "I 'have' to go away for a time, not sure how long, but I promise, I will be back."

I asked him where and he told me that he was not allowed to tell me anything and that if he did it would only involve me in matters I am not prepared to know about.

THAT got me going, I pressed him and he still could not say.

He did tell me that he trusted me above all humans, um people. I said Ah ha! You said humans! I knew that he was running energy that was not the average level for any man... I knew that there was something hidden, just behind his naturalness, something alien to my understanding.

I felt like he was from a different time, and had to teach him to dress less conspiculuosly if he was to 'blend' in...

He appreciated my help and even wore some of my sweats and a Tshirt when he left to return with the case.

The case.

He asked me if I would allow him to store it in my bedroom closet until he returned, again assuring me that he would indeed return.

I trusted him. I said yes.

He then said, I know that curiosity can be overwhelming, so he was to show me what was in the case, and then he closed it. He stressed that I was to forget it, to never touch even the case as what was inside could be activated by my touch, and if I was to hit a certain part, it would blow a hole through every structure for a couple of miles. A hole the size of a trashcan lid or bigger, through 'any' matter. Neat clean but a very big problem for the clean up crew, how to explain that?

So I know that these types of weaponry do exist.

Now, Deason this is simply a story, but if 'I' the writer believes it, then i give you free licence to create it for the Opera...

It was a beautiful piece of weaponry, and it was made of materials that were sleek, and of a metal we do not understand or even know about yet.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I think I recall a bit of this story?
She would know!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
reply to post by antar

I think I recall a bit of this story?
She would know!

Ohh, clarify Cm? I dont understand what you mean, you know this story?

U2u me for more details if you wish...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Although this story is hazy in my mind as it was, written many years ago, I have not shared it until ats. Reason being, his final warnings about the piece. This planet our reality has another which exists just as real as this one, things happening for our benifit which we have no idea are happening.

So CM if you are familiar with my story, I would have to have links to anything you can remember.

What if there was a male counterpart to my side of the story telling from his perspective?

In those days I was known very well for my ability to travel and simply dissapear without a trace. I was on a Spiritual path which had no roots in the ordinary way of life for most. My roots were the endless sky. The clouds my temorary home.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I do plan to go back to the area which at one time I took for granted , its immense exponential potential for opening doors to the unknowable.

There are places only I know of for what is hidden from the public eye. Perhaps there will be houses there now? Parking lots? Maybe, but I am going back with an idea of revisiting to tell my story.

I will find out if the energy signatures still exist or not.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I always wanted to try 3D applications but never found one simple enough to use until very recently. I still have zero ability to make models, but with Google Sketchup's 3D Warehouse you can load other users pre-made models.

I did not make the models I took pieces from several models combined and re-textured them. (I used existing textures.)

I used Google's Free 3D Sketchup Application. (The Pro version is not free though.) The free version (I think) can only export in ".Skb" (Sketchup's file extension) but it can import several different file types.

They were rendered using another free application Kerkthea.

Credit for the models goes to the following places and people.

The Yydryl model is the Warbird Model from Battleclinic.com

Scroll to Title: Garelon I.R.C. 1985

The Spec Ops Dropship is the combination of two Puddle Jumper Models from Sketchup

Spec Ops ship hull from Advanced Puddle Jumper By: The Ancients Hull

The chairs from Puddle Jumper With Shields by masterdetail

These two open source models by Max Grueter became the image of Asher in the picture.

Indoor Spacecraft Crew

Astronaut Dave Bowman II

Sphere Model used for smoke (white spheres) and blood (red spheres). (I should have re-sized them smaller for the closeup shots.)

From Sketchup Components Shapes

Now for my synopsis of the post.

Well, Studious is out to save Asher from the "enemy." But Asher is beamed away moments before the team can get to him. Now they are preparing to raid the ship to finish the rescue.

Press the "I" in the Story post To see the full images.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Studious]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by SLAYER69

Looks like you and I are about to join Studious, what with the disembodies voices in the head and all! I hope he's got a fridge full of beer.

Welcome to the club, there's always room for more.

Looks like either crazy is contagious or that lose your mind gas got out.

Looks like Silo's talking with someone or something too.

Originally posted by silo13
“Uuuuuuu-Mannnnnns,” Drawing out the name in a sing-song chant the plea rose within me like a howl.
I tried again and again letting my heart-mind reach out, projecting my greeting to any like mind on the Penelope.
“U-Mans, Hellooooo... I’m here U-Mans...”
Nothing...Only the beating of my heart.

Giving up I let my hands drop and stared out across the cold unforgiving space to the U-Mans Ship.
It was no use.
I couldn’t hear anyone calling back, I didn’t think anyone could hear me.

I was wrong.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well that is not going to sit pretty with the Yydryl and we were going to invite you over for a tea party and maybe some hot alien hanky panky.

Luder you might want to call your crazy boys back.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by cindymars]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Ahh man that was great.
looks like I'm out of a job soon.

that was pretty cool.
Star

Edit to add.
I was wondering when I started to read your last post if you would ever add some graphics and I scrolled down to finish reading and WAM!

[edit on 21-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

There is for your info DAZ is offering their Bryce 5.5 totally free. Here is a download link

It may ask you for a serial number. For that all you need to do is goto DAZ's website and "register" your free copy and you'll get a serial number. This page is where you register your copy of Bryce 5.5 (Bookmark that page) and return to it after you have created a account.

I find it pretty easy to use myself and in the Media site I have a couple or three tutorials on it.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Sorry Antar, missed your earlier post.

Anyway, when Asher was Seeker he shaved his head and face bald, but he's let that go for some time now. I picture him as dark haired if that helps.

The Zone Killer cannon thingy in his right arm is grafted to the bone and wetwired to his spinal cord. When he's out of it, it retreats back under the skin and hibernates. It's causing an abnormal bruise-like lesion on his arm at the moment.

As far as his reaction when he wakes up, he would probably react badly to anything alien looking, but then again who wouldn't?

Instinct would engage the Zone Killer and he would probably try to get answers before he started shooting. Any action that looked hostile would set him off and he would adopt an "ask questions later" policy.

If a non-aggressive, calm approach was used, he would be pretty docile. He did think he was going to die after all.

By the way, U2U me if I'm not answering to a strong poke. I'll answer those faster than I can catch up on this thread.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Oh for Christ's sake....

Neno?

Slayer?

I'm still the Captain, right?

LOL

Studious.....
Well, looks like we better get those shields back up.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Shuriken concept 2 (Folded)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/807610f9f8b1.jpg[/atsimg]

Note that in the folded position you can use it as a small throwing knife with 8 blades or hand held. Because of the shape of the blades might I recommend a slashing attack for best use?

Shuriken concept 2 unfolded. This is what it looks like after you throw it and the blades deploy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a960cc87804.jpg[/atsimg]

Shuriken scabbard with folded shuriken in it. Because of the relative small sizes of these you could carry a number of these easily.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77f94a76b7ec.jpg[/atsimg]

Side view of empty scabbard showing a belt clip so that you can wear a number of them on a belt easily.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/403472ba34d4.jpg[/atsimg]

Shuriken scabbard with cutaway view showing how the shurikens fit. You'll note that there is plenty of room of you desire to place a little poison if that suits your character.

Edit for spelling.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e44df29e1a90.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Deson]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Nenothtu, in his comatose state, highly recommends the following:

Vaporize any boarders, other than Studious. They're NPC's, and besides that, being NI they are among the ranks of those folks you always hear me harping about that "just plain NEED killin'". Their demise will help neno avoid a migraine that surely will accompany ferreting out NI "sleepers", since the crews service records only turned up 4 total. These guys are off the books. Studious, on the other hand, has to be kept alive so that he can stand trial again, this time for insubordination as the ranking officer of a rogue contingent that has initiated hostilities without Cap'n Luders approval. He'll probably squeak by with a Section 8 defense strategy at the court martial - assuming Penelope survives long enough to make it back for a trial. The Rigellians can have the strike team to make jerky out of, thereby hopefully sparing my comatose self. It's just not nice to kill and jerk folks that are incapacitated.

Cap'n Luder - of course you're still captain! However, should you come down wih "ARRGH! There's voices in muh HEAD!" syndrome, we are most certainly lost. NI will cover it up, and swear we never existed.

Since neno is comatose, is there a problem with me writing a post for my NPC's? I'd prefer to get a nod before just going ahead and doing it.

Yydryl crew - Be on the lookout, "ARRGH! There's voices in muh HEAD!" Syndrome appears to be catching. Hopefully, most of you folks are immune.

Studious - Thanks for the heads up on the software! I'm gonna have to get to tinkering now... and you might want to consider shooting some of those rogue NI agents in the back of the head while you still can, so they don't get you killed and eaten. Might be a good defense at the courts-martial that's sure to follow this. Oh, and please don't beer me while I'm comatose. Rough on the old breathing apparatus.

There are times nenothtu wishes he'd never given up being a Space Pirate. Life was so simple back then...

[edit on 2009/5/21 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Deson, that gadget is so scary looking that it makes even me shudder. Nice touch, how you situated the blade weights to double as grip surfaces when throwing it. I'm gonna cozy up to Antar and try to talk her out of a couple of them... assuming i live long enough to get out of this coma.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Do you mind if I write the history and beginnings of Naval Intelligence and the Enhancer Project on your other thread? I've got some ideas that might turn out interesting.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Oh I just LOVE it Deson! Perfect I would not change a thing.

Thankyou so very much for all your work, this is really better than what I had first invisioned. Wow.

Julie

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hey I just realized that Studious may have taken advantage of the scanner issues we were having to make his escape. Totally unrehearsed and well played studious I might add. The voices the Chief is hearing are in his "Dreams" not his "head" so to speak they are from PTSD.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

The Chief has a past. I'm setting up a "nightmare dream" Post where he will have to exorcise those demons of his past. I'll try to make it as entertaining as possible. Of course it wont interfere with the flow since it's a personal inventory clearing sort of thing. It will have plenty of nightmarish stuff.

Meuahahahaha

Stay tuned.

top topics

<< 88  89  90    92  93  94 >>

join