It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 89
<< 86  87  88    90  91  92 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Silo, no I was just excited to hear about the potential for a section deicated to flora and fauna which would presumably incorporate our nutritional needs for long journeys. Take your time and I will be fine with what ever you come up with.

As for the communications with new species, I would say that we have kind of placed CM in that position as she has the ability to get along well with all species... she reminds me of Whoopie Goldberg on StarTrek series. Kind of like the one we can all go to and bounce off of in our most true form.

It matters not really, but as far as I knew it is generally the Captain who makes first contact, after that it depends on what the circumstances are.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by cindymars

Hey everyone, where is Scurvy? How come we never have a captain? Sure way to be missing from the Opera is to be captain of the Yydryl. I feel bad that Asher is floating in space and I think it would be good for the story if we get him

I guess you guys on the Pen are going to have to get him.

I have asked that very same question.

But it seems to have fallen of deaf ears. Isn't this supposed to be a collaboration? It seems that either by others actions or inaction the rest of the collaborators are being held hostage so to speak.

Not trying to make this sound like a rant.

Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree here and would HATE to see us loose some of our best writers because of a non comunicatative flow of mutal respect and continuity of storyline.

IF someone is to bow out for an agreed upon timeframe it would be considerate if that person would simply let someone know, anyone and we can write around that character.

To simply say, I have RL issues is not enough for the rest of us waiting.

I do not want to see us loose anymore characters especially without replacements.

So... does the Opera continue? I certainly hope so!

Will we simply write around characters that are a no show, no communicate or otherwise inform us of a timeframe for their absence?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My post is up. Sorry for holding everyone up. I'm busy in the summer months and if I'm going to remain captain you'll have to get used to waiting a few days between posts. If this is unmanageable for some then let me know and I will step down and back to my weapons control position.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Sorry if I seemed desperate in my last post, just feel the need to play the devils advocate here for those that are begining to feel that the Opera is becoming riddled in arguement and just not so much fun anymore...

This is CREATIVITY, a chance to play the part in something of significance and a way to exit from the seriousness of many other subjects on our heads these days.

Well my little ones are home now and we on to Summer Vacation!!! Yeah! Vacations, camping, long trips and gardening, swimming, and all the other fun things that summer represents to children, and me!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, you really must be telepathic or you talked to the same writer, I did.
I agree, we need to stay attentive or we are going to loose VERY good writers, not me, I am not a very good writer but I am still enjoying being a participant and hope to improve.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

NO Dang way! We LOVE your Character and can wait days or weeks if you need for us to! Just let us know and we can work around you. Now I am off to read your last post, Yummy!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

Honey, I love you as my Squid Captain...
Don't get jealous Whisper, as I stroke his tentacles.

Hope your not mad at me.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Right on.
I have to say that it has been so cool to watch the writers get better with each post. Whisper I think should get an award for her advancements in creative writting. Lol hope she undestands... We all have great imaginations and that is why this is potentially the best collaborative scifi ever!

Now off to read Scurvys, Later!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

reply to post by SLAYER69

I am not blaming Scurvy, at all, everyone has a life to live.I am just feeling guilty, Scurvy I am sure was giving me the opportunity to show my characters abilities but it isnt right for my character. So I was not blaming but apologizing and pleading.

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't blaming anyone in particular. Just expressing how I felt over all.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Scurvy

Honey, I love you as my Squid Captain...
Don't get jealous Whisper, as I stroke his tentacles.

Hope your not mad at me.

The T&C do not allow me to fully elaborate on my opinions here... I'll simply state I have zero problems at all. Heh.

Masqua and loam have both addressed the time issue a zillion times. Here is a link to the stated rules of an opera. Here are a few of the rules that may bear repeating:

Posting Badges:

Member posting badges identify the class or nature of a participating member in the Epic. Members must always use the appropriate badge and place it as the first item in all of the member’s posts.

Posting Limits:

Team Members may only post once every 12 hours.

Visiting Members may only post once every 24 hours.

Otherwise members may post more frequently, if such posts are 150 words or less of new text.

Nature and Captains may post at any length and with any frequency.

No member may post twice in succession without an intervening post made by another member.

Masqua has never given us a requirement for posting and I feel we've beat this issue to death. It seems to come up once every five pages. It appears we are searching for the perfect balance. Not everyone is going to be pleased all the time. The pendulum can swing either way - if a rule is made that posting must be made on a daily basis I'm sure me and others are out. If it's left to a monthly basis, others are. I know this is a pivotal moment in the opera and I understand the restlessness but IMHO with nine or so writers involved, I don't think posting once or twice a week is out of line. I have a full and vibrant life outside of this box especially in the summertime. Family and social engagements, physical therapy appointments etc. Honestly, you writers with full time jobs - I don't know how you do it all and I'm so appreciative you do find the time that you do.

I think we are looking for balance and I do hope we find it without losing any contribuitors along the way.

EDIT: I feel I need to clarify my intentions reposting this info. I only posted this because it was the only 'rules' I could find. My motives were pure and I was only trying to be helpful. I thought I was being positive using words like hope and balance. No offense to anyone was intended. Really, I'm not a

[edit on 5/20/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Could one of you Yydryl crew members describe for me what your ship would look like from a human perspective? Particularly the area that Asher has been beamed into?

It would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

It would be described in one of Antars early post.
I think there is even a picture.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The RB was also much bigger than she had imagined, with stark grey metal walls and floors, there would be plenty of room for her equipment and supplies. Off to the far side of the bay was another space, her living quarters, with views of the outside it was also going to be the perfect place to get away from the rest of the crew for her moments of privacy and meditation.

I found this, hope it helps.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

This is partly one of the reasons I made a background data thread and a separate thread for mf_luder ideas. Sometimes I just need to put stuff down in some format that will come to use later on. Even though these rules state that I can post as much as I want, literally - what's the point? I can't do everything on the ship myself, I have to wait on my crew to do their parts before I act again and especially upon this meeting between our two crews - I cannot jump the gun on an action you guys are waiting to take.

I think patience is a key virtue, especially in this situation.

Things would definitely be going a lot faster if we were not in the middle of a meeting but since that is an event for which we have little to no control over, here we are.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Sooooo are you posting now to the Opera?????

Lets ROCK!!!!! BABY!!!!!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Maybe I should let everyone stew for a good 48 hours before typing my next response.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Go ahead, I will just go drink tequilla.
I don't have anything written and nobody cares if I write, so.

Hmmm stew Im hungry.

PS: I will not be near a computer Sat, Sun and Monday.
So I will not be reading or posting on those days. Not that you care.

Peace!

[edit on 20-5-2009 by cindymars]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Hey everyone, where is Scurvy? How come we never have a captain? Sure way to be missing from the Opera is to be captain of the Yydryl. I feel bad that Asher is floating in space and I think it would be good for the story if we get him but my character could not be the one to use her time travel in such a way. I had meant something like the bombs going off or the event horizon of a black hole. All we need is to beam him into the RB. If Scury or some captain does not show up, I guess you guys on the Pen are going to have to get him.

This is a good premise for an analysis paper - "Star Trek Red Shirts and Yydryl Captains: Eerie Similarities in the Space Opera Genre"

Naw, I'm sure Scurvy will be back. He had that holiday, and then there's the recuperative phase...

Time freeze vs. Asher's frozen body as Space Debris: If time were 'stopped', and Asher's body were to be retrieved during the episode, would it not appear to all as if the body just went BLIP! and was gone once time was started again? With no reference frame, Opera characters wouldn't know that time had stopped, they would just know Asher disappeared, and not know where to. Wouldn't THAT get a little tense?

Edit: it appears all the issues have been resolved. I probably should have read everything first, THEN posted this. Or else I might ought to quit taking those pesky naps when everything starts to break loose. Problem is, skipping the naps makes me soooo cranky....

[edit on 2009/5/20 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I was merely kidding of course. I need to go stew up some breakfast and take some painkillers for my now-extracted wisdom teeth. I should have something workable up shortly.
You guys know I can't go long periods w/o my Space Opera fix.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Honey....
did you miss the fact that Scurvy came and posted on both threads???

I know I was exploring all the possibilities of freezing time. LOL

top topics

<< 86  87  88    90  91  92 >>

join