It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 85
<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
Who is going to play Theresa?

I guess I could roll her in as like a "main NPC" like McCready and Varlas since command NPCs are my realm. But would the slot of 1st Officer be automatically constrained to having to fall into that role?

Maybe it's time to try to involve more writers as the Opera expands. It's been really successful and nothing less than a brilliant tale created by the collaborators so far - as well as the exceptional help we're getting with Deson (major kudos on your efforts here).

I'm sure everyone here knows someone who enjoys reading the Opera. How about reaching out and asking if they'd be willing to take an active part?

I can change the title of this thread as well. Something like The Space Opera Working Thread (now done)

I can add (more writers needed)

Thoughts?

I'm off to watch the Star Trek movie today with my wife and my astromer buddy. It's a 2 hour drive each way (yeah, I live in the boonies), so, considering the usual restaurant dinner included, I'll be gone until tonight.

I'll make any recommended changes when I get home.

[edit on 17/5/09 by masqua]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm always up for new people. It's good to see the story grow and evolve.

As long as my eventual exit is a promotion and transfer and not a grisly death - - - LOL

--------------------------UPDATE

Cadbury posted something to my profile about 3 days ago but never replied to a U2U attempt. I don't know what his current status is or if he's coming back or not. Just that he's still out there somewhere.....

Loam....

Your guess is as good as mine.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

As long as my eventual exit is a promotion and transfer and not a grisly death - - - LOL

I'll never kill off a member without their devout willingness to pass into the next 'reality'.

So, feel secure.

Cadbury has been online lately, but hasn't been active in this thread at all. I don't know what he intends. All we can do is cope until he either returns or decides to express 'devout willingness' for cyberdeath.

Loam, I believe, still intends to be involved and has said so here recently. I'm all for giving him the time he needs. Scurvy has stepped up to the plate and can fill in as 'Interrex Squared' until then.

The Opera itself is stepping up to a new level, both in story line and the technical additions that CGI is providing. It's getting better by the day.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It definitely has come a long way man. Can you believe we're going on nearly 2 months now? Seems like we just started this thing yesterday.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

It definitely has come a long way man. Can you believe we're going on nearly 2 months now? Seems like we just started this thing yesterday.

Well, let's see here this working thread was started on 3/15 so it's been here for 2 months now. I got involved abut 2 weeks later on. I dunno about you but to me it feels like forever. (chuckle).

oh back on topic.

Has any thought been given to what sort of hand held weaponry that the Yydryl crew would carry?

I've got an idea as far as a slug thrower design that I want to run past you. How many of you are familiar with the Bombardier Beetle? Wiki article. What do you think of using a variant of that (Uprated and more powerful) of the same general concept instead of using gunpowder? What I picture is a gun that has 2 chambers filled with the fluids needed. When the trigger is pulled a small amount is injected into another chamber, the reaction takes place pushing the round down the barrel.

There would be some advantages and disadvantages to such a system.

Disadvantages:
1) The speed of firing would be at max the speed of around 120 rounds per minute. One round every half second.

2) Difficult to repair due to lack of interchangeable parts.

Benefits:

1) Given sunlight and feeding a little "food" into a separate chamber it can grow it's own chemicals (Maybe 5 minutes depending on size) and to some extent it's own rounds (I would say maybe 6 hours for 120 rounds).

2) Assuming that there isn't time to allowing growing of new rounds more can be loaded into the chamber no problem.

3) Assuming that you have the chemicals (which would take only a few minutes to regenerate) you can fire pretty much anything you can fit either into the chamber or down the barrel. (Buckshot anyone?)

4) Assuming that a person carries some sugar water on them, it would make the rifle pretty much self sustaining. Great for use in scouting planets.

5) At places located throughout the Yydryl there could be "Ammo" stations containing pre-made ammo for the rifles and since the ammo is seperate from the propellant it's safe from fires, etc.

Using a similar arrangement in organic weaponry, I can also see such add-ons as a clip on light source that would work like a flash light. Bio-Luminescence based for that.

Self molding stocks and hand grips to suit various species.

What do you think of my concept? Is it a go? or am I way off track?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

I 'm in no position to judge how in whack you are... but I like the weapon idea. A self-sustaining pistol that can fire anything that fits in the hole... it be a pirate's dream toy.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Here's another brief thought that I just had. It would only be workable to say weapons above Pistol sized (Due to space requirements). Imagine if you will a group of say a dozen stranded on a planet and one rifle. ok, feed the rifle the water (not distilled you want minerals), and sunlight. Roughly 2 weeks later in a compartment in the stock you find about a dozen seeds. Plant them and after they grow you have a fresh "crop" of rifles.

Can you imagine?

"How's the armory coming along?"

"Oh, we'll be able to harvest them in a couple of weeks."

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Maybe it's time to try to involve more writers as the Opera expands. It's been really successful and nothing less than a brilliant tale created by the collaborators so far - as well as the exceptional help we're getting with Deson (major kudos on your efforts here).

I'm sure everyone here knows someone who enjoys reading the Opera. How about reaching out and asking if they'd be willing to take an active part?

I can add (more writers needed)

Thoughts?

I think it's a great idea but....

I'm all for expanding collaborators but shouldn't we fill out the positions we already have available? We seem to be lacking in certain positions especially on the Yydryl

Just a thought.

Having said that great work everybody. It really seems to have come together nicely especially the last few posts they have been awesome.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Greetings all, you'll be happy to know you have made your way back into Cyns (me lol) first and third brains as I'm now dreaming about the opera again lol I feel asleep brainstorming on weapons last night.

Deson, once again - amazing work! Speaking of amazing work, I'd like to repost from Scurvys first post on the actual thread - Deson your current ideas fit nicely into the organic feel of the ship and what Scurvy posted for Weapons control:

"Weapon System Technical Data:

Deep Range:

- High-Intensity Proton Demolisher - A large scale weapon based on the technology found in standard issue Proton Disintegrator pistols. Fires highly concentrated bursts of energy that seek out the co-ordinates of programmed target. Once contact is made the concentrated energy is released causing overstimulation of protons to the point that they burst. Has a large area of effect. Can fire 1 round every 30 seconds due to charging cooldown times.

- Thorn Charges - 2000 Yggdrasil Pods have been grown on the Yddril. These pods produce balls of corrosive acid that are discharged from the pod at the speed of sound. Pods self supply and will store 10 charges. After impact the charges splatter, depositing a highly corrosive acid on anything in the vicinity.

- Pinpoint Annihilator - Mainly used for attacking small targets. The annihilator launches a cluster of 3 homing missiles that will follow the target until they or the target are destroyed.

Short Range:

- The Yddryl was formed from a plant species native to Rigel. The particular species itself is vine-like. The tendrils of the ship will grab, entangle, and crush any vessels within their reach. These cannot be controlled.

- "Galactichip" readers are positioned around every doorway on the Yddril. Any being who passes throught the readers without a chip present in their body will be targetted by the ship's interior tentacles and crew will be alerted.

Defense Systems:

- The plant species that forms the Yddryl has been genetically modified in many ways. The "skin" of the ship has been altered so that its density is 3 times that of diamond. This makes the ship's body near indestructible.

- The ship is equipped with a repellent magnetic field that can be activated to stop metal projectiles fired at the ship.

- The ship is made of organic material and is thus vulnerable to combustion. However, with a lack of oxygen in most areas of the universe the risk of fire is minimal. "

Again, that was from Scurvys first opera post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, as far as handheld personal weapons I'm looking for long range and short range. Whisper is more into hand to hand combat but in space, this isn't always an option. We should have an armory for all of the security staff and I like your suggestions thus far. Especially in deep space you will need some type of regenerative ammo. [in IRL so many peeps speak of stocking up on guns for if/when TSHTF - someone gave an awesome suggestion in the survival forum about investing in a good slingshot - never run out of ammo!]

What I was tossing and turning over last night is tentacled Rigellians. No thumbs
The weapons would still need to be balanced. Would these slip over the end of our tentacle, will we just hold them as a human wrapping the end of our tentacle around the shaft of the weapon using another tentacle to discharge the weapon or perhaps a trigger engineered so that it meets up with the tip of the tentacle holding the weapon? Am I over thinking this? I don't think so, after all - we are writers right? I'm thinking many tentacled creatures would hold multiple weapons and or at least one weapon and a shield. The shield I'm thinking of for me wouldn't require being held. It would be attached to my belt on my uniform (which conveniently holds all my weapons so they can't be too heavy) anywho, on the belt is a button I would push which would trigger an almost Dune like shield, something that just encompassed my body - I don't think holding a shield (think the GunGuns, JarJar in Star Wars) would be feasible.

Bah, I found a really cool weapon on deviantart.com that was called a scorpion and was going to post it here but ATS doesn't allow bmp files. I could provide the link if you like Deson.

I suppose as security officer I should have a way to carry a space rifle of some sort and perhaps have this sheathed in a way on my back so I can reach over my shoulder to easily access and unsheath it like a sword. Slayer don't laugh at me - haven't got my book yet and I admit I am stumbling a bit through the jargon ::blush::

In addition to weaponry for the security team and for the entire Yydryl staff should things really hit the fan, when Whisper came aboard she lovingly unpacked some special weapons she had acquired through her years of Elite training. This is again where I would need your help Deson. One of these items is a whip. Every pic I can find out there on various pic sites look way too S&M and not...spacey. This whip would be an extension of my own tentacle and a good way to disarm a foe or entrap them. I envision this as my primary short range weapon for which I am most skilled and would be kept at my side. Would be awesome it was retractable in some way and perhaps white or silver in color to blend in with my fog I use so often with in a battle. I'm sure it will also be enchanted in some way but, that's an angle I'll work on.

I'd also like a very cool dagger. At the risk of violating cross charactering rules, I was thinking of incorporating a dagger I personally own and have on my living room wall. I think it looks rather wicked and alien.

EDIT: Also wanted wish Scurvy a happy holiday tomorrow:

[edit on 5/17/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Those are great ideas, I would like to have some hand to hand type weapons such as throwing stars that actually open as they are thrown, they look like regular pieces of metal until then, easy to store tons of them.

Also could I get a belt that stores items as well as is a personal shield? It would give me the same abilty but for shorter times like shields onboard the craft.

I will also need a good medical/healer bag that is not cumbersome. I will have to go back and find those wrist type scanners earlier in the Opera as well.

OK Back outside to the gardens, just popping in for a minute.

masqua, *Smiles* have a great night and we will see you here later, I want to know what you thought of the movie.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Can you imagine?

"How's the armory coming along?"

"Oh, we'll be able to harvest them in a couple of weeks."

Sounds great to me!

And since Ships Center plans are nearly finished - You’ll find there a perfect place at the Upas Tree if you need to incubate, or grow these things?

I was PhotoShopping my Upas Tree today - and then you brought up the *living* arms and weapons - nice coincidence.

(The Upas Tree *bleeds* latex that is highly poisonous - is the center of many extraordinary myths and legends - and, is quite beautiful...)

Since Captain Loam (from way back when) has me gearing up and getting ready to grow snails for the Rigellians I could easily toss in a few Bombardier Beetles (???) - or whatever you come up with.

Also, the Bombardier Beetles could possibly feed off the Upas Tree latex - poison?

Possibly you could use the latex of the Upas Tree to *make* the weapon - latex malleable for the handgrips?

Don’t feel bound in any way to use the ideas - just throwing out some info on what I’ve been working on - in case you might want to put some of it to use...

[edit on 18-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
masqua, *Smiles* have a great night and we will see you here later, I want to know what you thought of the movie.

Star Trek is a wonderful movie. I'm by no means a hard core Trekkie, but have watched enough of the movies and television series to be familiar with the characters and different alien races.

The actors in the lead parts were excellent. They even resembled the youthful versions of the Enterprise crew we all know so well. I was smiling throughout the entire movie, it was THAT good.

The plot itself related well to what is happening right now with the Yydryl and the Penelope... including, if you can believe it, transfers of personnel between two spaceships (Romulan and Human).

Fantastic.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

I was smiling throughout the entire movie, it was THAT good.

Something made you crack a smile and keep it a while? Amazing! will wonders never cease?

About the all-encompassing personal shield concept: keep one thing in mind, and that is that when weapons can't get in, they can't get out either. Leaves one completely defensive, with no offensive capability. You can't carry the battle to the opponent (unless you want to try pinning them and crushing them with your shield. Best have a lot of mass behind it for that).

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I just came back from watching the Star Trek movie myself. I'm an old school Star Trek fan myself and I gotta admit ..... I liked it. It makes for a pretty decent "Reboot" of the series. In fact from what I've been told Paramount has green lighted already the sequel to it.

ok, I've been reading some of the replys here. First off thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I can see that I'll be busy with designing things.

Here are a couple of thoughts.

ok, for sanity sake, what I'm gonna do is a little quoting here.

Antar, I'll get to your thoughts about hand to hand weapons after I post this and give it some thought but I believe that something can be worked out for both Tentacled and Bipedal crew.

Whisper67 wrote:
What I was tossing and turning over last night is tentacled Rigellians. No thumbs The weapons would still need to be balanced. Would these slip over the end of our tentacle, will we just hold them as a human wrapping the end of our tentacle around the shaft of the weapon using another tentacle to discharge the weapon or perhaps a trigger engineered so that it meets up with the tip of the tentacle holding the weapon?

ok, I figure that pretty much the flexibility of a tool using tentacled being would be very good otherwise they wouldn't arise to tool usage status. I've seen some pictures of Octopi and have noticed that their tentacles are very flexible. So in the case of a Pistol you would simply wrap tentacle once maybe twice around the pistol grip and still have a few inches of the most flexible part to pull the trigger. So I figure in the case of Pistols since they are relatively lightweight no modification would be needed.

In the case of a Carbine (A short rifle) then perhaps a "Bullpup" design might be in order.

You'll note that there is not only a pistol grip but a shorter fore mounted grip in this case. I figure, one tentacle to hold the pistol grip and the other can hold the shorter grip in the front.

So in the case of the Pistol and the Carbine they can be used equally well by either type without any major redesign.

When you get to the rifle designs things get a trifle more complicated since not only are tentacled being lacking in hands but also (for the most part) lacking in shoulders. This presents a problem but I think I have a solution.

ok, in the case of the stock itself, I can see grooves being channeled into it (in a spiral on the outside) to allow a being with Tentacles to wrap a tentacle around the stock, through a hole to access a trigger mechanism.

The front part of the rifle would consist of two parts. A pistol grip (that folds away) for use by those with tentacles and a regular stock up front for usage by Bipeds. Be advised though is that a Biped would be able to be more accurate because they can lay their head (and eye) more inline with the barrel.

They would be equally accurate with either Pistols or Carbines.

ok, onto the next category of slug throwers.

Semi-Portables.
What I view a Semi portable to be would be like the M60 Machine gun (that can be fired from a Bipod or from the hip (not very accurate I know this since I've fired one in the army exactly that way but in close distances it simply doesn't matter).

There are two types of what I think of as a semi portable.

Type one: like the M60 Machine gun (one person can operate or preferably 2 (Gunner and ammo loader)). Using a Harness strap and grips like the bullpup design both could use this.

Type Two: Larger caliber that sits on a tripod with a swivel (up, down, and side to side). This would also have metal (or organic) shield plates to protect the two being crew. One to fire and one to load and act as backup. Typically these would use a pair of grips with triggers on both. This design could be used equally well by either type. Please also note that a type two is large enough to also mount a grenade launcher underslung under the barrel for added nastiness.

Please note that typically semi portables aren't all that accurate but then they don't need to be. They are used in taking out groups of infantry or shooting the bejeezus out of vehicles. A good sized round hitting an engine block will bring that engine to a stop with a dead engine. It IS possible for a highly trained person (Given time to aim carefully) to use one of these babys to take out someone a long distance away. Talk about reaching out and touching someone!! Both types of Semi Portables can be very effect at denying anyone trying to enter a corridor or hallway for example.

I'll work on a separate post dealing with some ideas for hand to hand weapons.

Antar, if you can come up with a pic of the Scorpion that you were talking about, one thing you can do is take the BMP, and convert it (maybe through MSpaint) to a JPG format which the media site will accept. Failing that a Link will work as well.

oh and here's another thought about weapons (organic) that should prove to be interesting.

Riddle me this Batman: What do you get when you combine a highly modified electricity generating organ (Think electric eel) and highly charged Bio Luminescence, and mount it inside of a housing? Can you say LASER? Can you say LASER that recharges itself?

Just a thought.

Like I said, I'll give some thoughts as far as Hand to hand weaponry goes. Perhaps something unusual but workable. Like a double sword or a punch dagger arrangement.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

About the all-encompassing personal shield concept: keep one thing in mind, and that is that when weapons can't get in, they can't get out either.

True. I coulda swore in Dune he still used a weapon but, not sure. Regardless, perhaps only the armor itself is shielded; ending where the armor ends thus protecting important bodily organs and a portion of the tentacle while not encumbering weapons usage. It would still need to be engaged as even in the future, who wants to just waste energy.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson
if you can come up with a pic of the Scorpion that you were talking about, one thing you can do is take the BMP, and convert it (maybe through MSpaint) to a JPG format which the media site will accept.

Well, lookie there, I learned how to do something new tonight. Thanks once again Deson.

I like the ideas about having a weapon that's useful to both bipeds and those with our freak on. Appears there's many different varieties of alien species on the Yydryl and perhaps more in the future. Something universal would be optimum.

I'll post more tomorrow on your weapon ideas and my own. I'm a little a lil tired out tonight.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Arg, the suspense is killing me! My alter-ego is quickly becoming an enhanced popsicle, and who knows if I'm on Whisper's lunch menu or not...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Indeed.

The ball is very much in your court, Yydryl - my last post was just filler to kill the silence.....

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I know Scurvy was going to enjoy his holiday today so it may be tomorrow until our Captain makes a decision on what to do about the intense floating, bleeding drama - wow, so well written - you guys on the Penny are blowing my long hair back with your writing!

Regarding weapons and shields - I really do appreciate everyones input regardless of what ship you occupy. This is a learning experience for me. I'm doing my part by doing some reading online as well as getting some books this week in the mail. So much for my D H Laurence! Crash (lol) course on space jargon for me.

That's why until I become intelligently educated on the subject, I want to put my ideas here. I got some good feedback regarding the unusefulness of my shield idea as well as a U2U about my Isis dagger. Heh, my Isis dagger is in best use on my living room wall. Would work well for Rigellians - mostly soft tissue but in real world and opera against *gasp* humans or boney creatures - it would get caught on bone or gristle. See, this is an aspect I haven't thought of... It's a one time use weapon.

Deson, there's a zillion pics out there of space rifles. If you are still busy with the design of the Yydryl bridge I can commit today to looking these up and posting some designs here that perhaps our crew can vote on. I'd like a vote as these will be weapons inventoried in the armory for the crew. Antar - I will also look for some futuristic stars - I'd had a similar idea. Security is my designation so I see this research and posting as my responsiblity. But please don't take that to mean if you have an idea or picture I'm not open to that as well! Again, newbie here to *space* rpging/writing and we are now getting to a point where this lexicon will be indispensible. I'm so freaked out I'm going to disappoint!

Chants "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...."

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I KNOW!!! I was discussing this earlier in this thread, It was amazing the syncronicity!

If you read my previous posts though you will remember that the projector broke right as the humans were meeting the aliens! JUST like in this P@Y opera! I was blow away at the characters and thought that it not only mirrored many of ours, but also my children and their personalities.

We will go again as I got free passes to return, probably tonight or tomorrow night.

I dont know I am tilling thousands of feet of garden today, as the rains we had grew weeds and grass galore though my already planted rows of fresh clean veggies.

This is a hard time of year as I get impatient as to wether or not the veggies are going to come up or if I need to reorder and replant.

I am also getting the same feeling about my Recovery Bay on Yydryl! I have not had time to set up my labs and oversee the food growing areas on the ship. Once we set off into the great beyond I will then be able to start developing my character rather than bouncing off others developments...

Well glad you had a good time and hope you had a great dinner too. Did you get any ideas for the Opera?

Later, gotta go make food...

Julie D.

new topics

top topics

<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join