reply to post by Deson
Greetings all, you'll be happy to know you have made your way back into Cyns (me lol) first and third brains as I'm now dreaming about the opera
again lol I feel asleep brainstorming on weapons last night.
Deson, once again - amazing work! Speaking of amazing work, I'd like to repost from Scurvys first post on the actual thread - Deson your current
ideas fit nicely into the organic feel of the ship and what Scurvy posted for Weapons control:
"Weapon System Technical Data:
- High-Intensity Proton Demolisher - A large scale weapon based on the technology found in standard issue Proton Disintegrator pistols. Fires highly
concentrated bursts of energy that seek out the co-ordinates of programmed target. Once contact is made the concentrated energy is released causing
overstimulation of protons to the point that they burst. Has a large area of effect. Can fire 1 round every 30 seconds due to charging cooldown times.
- Thorn Charges - 2000 Yggdrasil Pods have been grown on the Yddril. These pods produce balls of corrosive acid that are discharged from the pod at
the speed of sound. Pods self supply and will store 10 charges. After impact the charges splatter, depositing a highly corrosive acid on anything in
- Pinpoint Annihilator - Mainly used for attacking small targets. The annihilator launches a cluster of 3 homing missiles that will follow the target
until they or the target are destroyed.
- The Yddryl was formed from a plant species native to Rigel. The particular species itself is vine-like. The tendrils of the ship will grab,
entangle, and crush any vessels within their reach. These cannot be controlled.
- "Galactichip" readers are positioned around every doorway on the Yddril. Any being who passes throught the readers without a chip present in their
body will be targetted by the ship's interior tentacles and crew will be alerted.
- The plant species that forms the Yddryl has been genetically modified in many ways. The "skin" of the ship has been altered so that its density is
3 times that of diamond. This makes the ship's body near indestructible.
- The ship is equipped with a repellent magnetic field that can be activated to stop metal projectiles fired at the ship.
- The ship is made of organic material and is thus vulnerable to combustion. However, with a lack of oxygen in most areas of the universe the risk of
fire is minimal. "
Again, that was from Scurvys first opera post.
Now, as far as handheld personal weapons I'm looking for long range and short range. Whisper is more into hand to hand combat but in space, this
isn't always an option. We should have an armory for all of the security staff and I like your suggestions thus far. Especially in deep space you
will need some type of regenerative ammo. [in IRL so many peeps speak of stocking up on guns for if/when TSHTF - someone gave an awesome suggestion in
the survival forum about investing in a good slingshot - never run out of ammo!]
What I was tossing and turning over last night is tentacled Rigellians. No thumbs
The weapons would still need to be balanced. Would these slip
over the end of our tentacle, will we just hold them as a human wrapping the end of our tentacle around the shaft of the weapon using another tentacle
to discharge the weapon or perhaps a trigger engineered so that it meets up with the tip of the tentacle holding the weapon? Am I over thinking this?
I don't think so, after all - we are writers right? I'm thinking many tentacled creatures would hold multiple weapons and or at least one weapon
and a shield. The shield I'm thinking of for me wouldn't require being held. It would be attached to my belt on my uniform (which conveniently holds
all my weapons so they can't be too heavy) anywho, on the belt is a button I would push which would trigger an almost Dune like shield, something
that just encompassed my body - I don't think holding a shield (think the GunGuns, JarJar in Star Wars) would be feasible.
Bah, I found a really cool weapon on deviantart.com that was called a scorpion and was going to post it here but ATS doesn't allow bmp files. I could
provide the link if you like Deson.
I suppose as security officer I should have a way to carry a space rifle of some sort and perhaps have this sheathed in a way on my back so I can
reach over my shoulder to easily access and unsheath it like a sword. Slayer don't laugh at me - haven't got my book yet and I admit I am stumbling
a bit through the jargon ::blush::
In addition to weaponry for the security team and for the entire Yydryl staff should things really hit the fan, when Whisper came aboard she lovingly
unpacked some special weapons she had acquired through her years of Elite training. This is again where I would need your help Deson. One of these
items is a whip. Every pic I can find out there on various pic sites look way too S&M and not...spacey. This whip would be an extension of my own
tentacle and a good way to disarm a foe or entrap them. I envision this as my primary short range weapon for which I am most skilled and would be kept
at my side. Would be awesome it was retractable in some way and perhaps white or silver in color to blend in with my fog I use so often with in a
battle. I'm sure it will also be enchanted in some way but, that's an angle I'll work on.
I'd also like a very cool dagger. At the risk of violating cross
charactering rules, I was thinking of incorporating a dagger I personally own and have on my living room wall. I think it looks rather wicked and
EDIT: Also wanted wish Scurvy a happy holiday tomorrow:
[edit on 5/17/2009 by Whisper67]