It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 84
<< 81  82  83    85  86  87 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Very interesting Silo! If you recall, I too had a poisoning

Yep you did
and thanks to your poisoning and Cindymars quip about the nut - it nicely explained all my outlandish and uncharacteristic behavior on the bridge.

Figured it would also give you an opening (if you wanted it) to do some Security work if another lull hits the Opera.

Beyond these two positives I had a great *change of heart* over Rigellians, you tentacled beauty you! (Thanks to the pre-death euphoric effects of the drug/poison)...

On another note: WOW! I leave to sleep for a mere 5 hours and look what happens! Explosions, Penny crew whizzing through space, QA back from wherever QA went! How cool is that!

Can't wait to see how this works out!

(Going back to re-read fab new posts again)!

Have a Great Weekend All!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I can't read the red,

CM - I have a huge problem with my eyes and reading red and blue writing - I run my cursor over colored text - like I’m highlighting it to cut paste and it turns blue/white.

As to your color - please stay blue! It’s soooo nice...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Hey anybody where can I get the image code for the Yydryl on the first page of the opera?
I want to use it on my profile page,

[edit on 15-5-2009 by cindymars]

Here's that one:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59266c0fdf55.jpg[/atsimg]

Direct Link

I'm partial to this one:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e4e57476433.jpg[/atsimg]

Direct Link

And one of both ships that my slack butt still needs to re-do:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/121156b8d8f7.jpg[/atsimg]

Direct Link - small image

Direct Link - Full size

Link to my Gallery

The link to my Galleries is so you can run through 'em and snag what you want.

Or you can just right-click on the image and 'save image as' to download it from the thread.

Somebody check the links to make sure they work. I'm paranoid about that, as I sometimes send folks back to their own galleries instead of mine.

[edit on 2009/5/16 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

First link went to small pic of planet and ship - second - full size - third link all your pics.

What planet is that in the third pic?
It's beautiful.
(Earth?)

What more are you going to do to the third pic?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

the planet in the third pic is Khalamzadar. I already had it made, so I just dropped the ships in orbit around it for the 'photo op'. One of the folders in my gallery ('Test Pictures') has a map of it without the cloud cover, and without being wrapped around a ball to show it as a planet.

What I need to do to it is redo it altogether, to take out the labels (names, year, time, etc.) in the corners. I forgot to unlabel it before I captured it. If I just black 'em out now, the stars behind 'em dissappear too.

Thanks for checking the links - those were the destinations I intended.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

N.
Oh! I just missed you by ten minutes.

Welllll, remember that *jungle* photo you posted?
You probably can't tell it's the same one - but here goes - TA-DAH! lol

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f1e86c9cf62.jpg[/atsimg]

I just couldn't get around the lighting between the palm fronds
so I substituted *new* palms - and *painted * them over the ones that were giving me such nightmares.

Sorry it isn't more like the original photo you gave me - but I hope you like it anyway.

I wont post it into the Space Opera until much later - and after your permission of course.

EDIT:
I want edit the size and clean up the stars on the left.
Should I stick the Penelope in that area too?
Or something else?
A planet or something?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

MUCH better for story purposes! I like it! The lighting changes and absence of blue sky are just what it needed to take a bit 'o Earth out to the stars.

Here's a picture of the meeting. Had to put the ships close together to get both in the shot and keep 'em recognizable:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87050307b1fe.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Size version

Here's a picture of Penelope from inside the hollow space of the Yydryl:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c941e332e37e.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Size version

I've got both of the ships at 2500 meters long here, and the separation is around 500 meters. If anyone would prefer a wider separation, let me know.

I'm going to work on a shot of Yydryl from just above Penelope's bridge now.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Awesome
Great work there.

I'm going to possibly do some writing today something along ship functions nothing story line changing.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The Yydryl from just above and behind of Penelope's bridge superstructure:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9416f4cf9a4b.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Sized Version

The problem with space is it's so DARK out there!

That's why I usually have to have a planet backdrop for Penelope, because the surface on her is so dark, it's hard to see in space.

I think I might need to increase the separation to about 1000 meters, or twice what it is now.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I've increased the distance between the two ships slightly for these.

Yydryl from just above Penelope's Bridge:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11a3025beb7d.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Sized Version

Penelope from Inside Yydryl's hollow center, near the front edge of the 'wing':

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1895305f9a28.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Sized Version

Penelope from off her starboard bow. Here you can see her name and registry number (assuming I got the number right):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0abe25bfbe37.jpg[/atsimg]

Full Sized version

Alright, I'll stop clogging up the thread with pictures now. Just a burst of attempted creativity in the wake of an adrenaline rush last evening. They've been added to the 'Test Pictures' folder of my gallery.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Hi Hi -
Well what do you think?
The second set is better?
It *feels* better ...
What does your gut tell you - leave them farther apart?

I really like your work and can sympathize with you over all that black space!

Your *creativity* bug must have been catchy.
I’ve been at some pics for a while now.
Have got an anime for the Opera ready but still can’t get the eyes right.

*Back to Photoshop*!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Can I use some of those in my up coming posts? If so would you mind if I moded some of those images?

If Not I wont be your friend.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Can I use some of those in my up coming posts? If so would you mind if I moded some of those images?

If Not I wont be your friend.

Go for it! They're free for the taking, and modifications don't bug me a bit. Far as I'm concerned, they belong to the Opera, which would be all of us.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Yeah, I'm gonna leave 'em farther apart. Too close in, and parts of the near one tend to block out parts of the far one.

You might be able to convert the 'black' parts of your jungle work to an (clear) alpha channel, and use one of 'em for the background. Feel free to do so if that's what you had in mind in your post above.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
With these plethora of pages in the working thread, didn't I read that a few of you fine fellows on the Penny had purchased "GURPS Space RPGing In The Worlds Of Tomorrow?" Did you find it useful?

While I've been a Sci-Fi fan since childhood, growing up in the 70s with replays on Saturday afternoon theater of monster insect movies and Space1999 ( they had the best space aliens! Would it surprise you that one that freaked me out the most as a child had a whole bunch of eyes? lol It also had what looked like....kelp hanging off it
-) I do admittedly need assistance expanding my lexicon to incorporate space jargon to be better be able to describe, in particular, my exceptional weapons with detail.

You guys on the Penny inspire me with your tech writing - and done so with enough human emotion, drama, self reflection, and comedy that I don't start hearing "wah wah wah wah wah" in my head like I do when a mechanic starts getting too involved with describing his work - you know...like you do when I start talking about shoes or purses

Ugh, in addition to the GURPS - I am an avid reader and the hubby has been gently suggesting for years I pick up one of his many Star Wars books that I get him at least one of every year for his birthday and Xmas. I love to read but for some reason, I have a resistence to reading any Sci-Fi ::ducks and hides:: Love fantasy but the closest I've gotten to any Sci-Fi would be Stephen R. Donaldson.

Denson - would you be up to pics of any weapon development? You do so much for us, I kinda hate to ask!

Thanks in advace for any input!! Happy Saturday to all.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I did buy a used copy on Amazon of GURPS for about 9 bucks. Hope it delivers what I'm looking for!

[edit on 5/16/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
wah wah wah wah wah" in my head like I do when a mechanic starts getting too involved with describing his work

Hey was that a shot across my bow?
Because I resemble that remark

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No way dude! I love your posts!!

And btw, I want your lists of emoticons - I've seen some of yours around on various threads that just crack me up! Love the wise man!

EDIT: Thanks for your help Slayer! Fun fun!

[edit on 5/16/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
(snip)

Denson - would you be up to pics of any weapon development? You do so much for us, I kinda hate to ask!

Thanks in advace for any input!! Happy Saturday to all.

Pics of Weapons? I can do that. What do you need handheld? Rifles? Semi-Portables? Ship based?

Just a reminder to everyone, I need input as far as what sort of shape to go with for the Bridge layout for the Yydryl. I have some pictures showing the layouts located here. I'll be honest I think that it would be easier for me to construct the oblongish shaped bridge design as far as ramps etc go. Please advise.

Edit to add:

Awesome exterior work there Nenothtu!

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Deson]

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Deson]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I know Neno has a few in his possession, but I bought the most recent GURPS Space supplement that goes into probably waaay too much detail on how to construct a star system using actual science as a basis. It also has a lot of good info on randomizing stellar events and encounters.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Not trying to begin a pattern of providing a synopsis for each of my posts - - - lol - - ahem (Studious).....

But.

I figured it was high time to start expanding on the Luder/Theresa dynamic and I'm not too sure on writing the whole lovey dovey romance type stuff, so bear with me.

I hope this last post played out well enough for everyone and there is one major question I have.

Who is going to play Theresa?

I guess I could roll her in as like a "main NPC" like McCready and Varlas since command NPCs are my realm. But would the slot of 1st Officer be automatically constrained to having to fall into that role?

top topics

<< 81  82  83    85  86  87 >>

join