It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
I refuse to accept that author status updates are off-topic.

And rightly so simply because collaborative efforts, especially in one so large as this Space Opera, require co-ordination.

The writers involved have had to deal with 2 missing captains and that twists the story a great deal all by itself. Cadbury has been gone for many weeks and we've held him as a political prisoner for all that tme, trying to compensate until he re-appears. Now, we have Loam out there somewhere and the Yydryl crew is trying very hard to make something happen anyways. On top of that situation, the Yydryl is about to meet the crew of the Penelope.

So, if the captain of the Penelope needs to take a couple of days away from the main thread, it certainly is nice to know. NOT knowing will only cause everyone more concern.

So, NO, saying you're going to be away for a couple of days is hardly off-topic.

Telling you all what I had for supper tonight surely IS.

[edit on 28/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
ok, Here's what's going on over here. I've been thinking about chairs for the Yydrl crew and we seem to have two ends of the spectrum. Bipeds (Human types) and those with Tentacles. So how to design a chair that will work for both. One person suggested self adjusting form fitting chairs. The only problem with that is Back and Arm support. About the closest earthly analog to that would be a beanbag type of chair but they have a tendency to sit low and likewise don't provide the back support. The nearest thing for say a Tripedal or tentacled being would be a cushion cylinder since they don't really need back support. Bipedal types can sit in such but then again there is the support issue for arms and back (think of trying to sit on a bar stool for 8 hours at a time(or however long your shift is)) Let alone such things as safety equipment (say maybe seat belts in case the ship get thrown around).

I think that I've come up with a rather strange solution. It looks weird but as far as I can tell it works. Please note that the textures that I used are NOT the textures for the completed chair. They are merely there to show the different parts and how this convertible chair works. Please note that the look of the chair is ONLY to show the major components and doesn't include such things as Greeble. Greeble is a show business tern for "Stuff" that get's added onto something that serves no real function but looks good. Greeble definition

Ok, on to the chair concept. This is a chair that converts from Bipedal (with armrests and back support) to a cushioned cylinder for other life forms. Whichever the being prefers.

Bipedal mode with arm rests and Back support. You'll note the cushions in the Back rest area and seat.

Link to full sized pic (Bipedal mode)

Mid conversion. You'll note that arms are swinging back lower the back support and the arms are swinging down at this point.

Link to full sized pic (Mid Conversion)

Full conversion to Other mode. You'll note that the Back support has swung all the way down and out of the way likewise the Armrests and now pointing down and out of the way allowing Beings with a radial symmetry or otherwise to have access to control panels without the armrests or the back supports that we Bipeds need being in the way.

Convertable chair in (other) mode

And finally a link to a pic of the chairs showing all 3 modes showing the conversion process. Biped on the left, and other on the right.

Remember this is just a concept and the chair design isn't finished by any means (textures, maybe a retractable foot rest). I initially considered having the back slide up on a set of rails but that would leave the rails in the way of the other crew member shapes. Please note that that in an emergency any form can use the chairs. They just won't be comfortable after a while if it's set to the wrong mode. Just for yucks and giggles you could have crew members complaining about the person before it leaving the chair in a certain mode. Sort of like leaving the toilet seat either up or down. (chuckle)

Please comment on the general design and concept. If you approve I can add Greeble to it and finalize the design.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by mf_luder

I'm putting this map up in hopes that it will help the Penelope and Yydryl figure out how to 'run into' one another.

I've labelled the Earth, Alpha Centauri, and the apporach vector of the Yydryl, as well as the direction to the Ophiuchi Menace. Maybe Yydryl will sensor us out in passing the battle? Or head straight TO the battle? I hear they're a bloodthirsty bunch

I'm sure you all can figure something out!

I have spent the last hour catching up here guys and I have to say this is an inspirational map, it certainly is handy for the meeting coming up soon.

I also think that the chair is an incredible piece, and if it were up to me it would look as it does however have the ability to simply form fit with its um nanointelligence... The cigar colored stand needs a different color though as it reminds me of Bill Clinton

I am over to the Yydryl now, so catch you in space.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Author update: Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and let everyone know I've been really sick this week. Fever of 102 and other gory symptoms. It's a virus and the doc wants me to get over it naturally so, I may be another day or two. Just wanted to let everyone know I haven't abandoned the opera.

Today was the first day I could actually get out of bed and crawl to the computer. So, I'll need a few more days as the fever has been robbing me of critical thinking skills. At times, I haven't even been able to follow a conversation or reach for an adjective and come up *blank* So frustrating!

I was a tad fearful of checking in as I thought I would be overwhelmed. You know how the working and actual threads can sometimes have a zillion posts in one day, or so it seems. Appears others are busy with spring or sickly themselves. ::weaves a protective web around all authors::

I was also waiting for Scurvy to post as I didn't want to plant a kiss on him then leave him laying there unconscious
Although, that would be Whisperesque. Duty first!

I will commit to getting a post up this weekend. Hopefully, I can accomplish this on Saturday - probably late night.

Finally, amazing work on those chairs!! I really appreciate your contributions and time you are giving to this opera!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I hope I'm not toast with all of you. Had a bit of a problem in RL I'm addressing. This is my first chance to log on in quite some time.

I've got some catching up to do.

Did nature off me in my absence? I'd understand if that were the case.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

No problem. Stuff happens. Nature didn't do you in, you're still among us living folk. Most of Yydryl has been quiet for a bit, just like most of Penelope was, and I'm sure will be again. That's the nature of this business, eh?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hey You - Welcome back. Glad you made it. Hope all in RL isn't overwhelming you.

Can't wait to see what happens when the crew catches up with you - it's getting exciting for sure...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
First off, I appreciate the input. Yes, I plan on modifying the chairs (Textures and making the base a little larger in diameter). I see no problem with making the bottom seat form fitting. In fact the cushions in the Backrest would also be form fitting as well. A possible low tech approach might be to have the cushions filled with the same stuff as Bean bag chairs. Less mechanisms to go wrong that way.

ok, I've been doing some thinking lately (waits for the crowd to finish the obvious reply of "oh, good!!" (chuckle)). I've earlier developed the Bio Conveyor for Vertical movement. Now I'm tackling Horizontal Movement and came up with what you see.

Several things that I want to point out at this time. I have done virtually no texture work on this concept. So these pictures are simply for the concept only. You'll notice that there are no chairs in this pod. I'll add these later and I figure on using the same adjustable chairs that I designed earlier. I refer to these as Travel Pods.

ok, onto the general concept of this:

1) You'll note that the same muscle that I used in the Bio Conveyor (Elevator) on the underside. It uses the same concept as the Elevator and travels along the same type of track the Elevator does. I figure that other than the direction and larger capacity it's pretty much the same concept.

2) I figure on these there is a 8 being capacity. Larger ones would be used for such things as Cargo and Troop Transport. Individual Pods could be linked with each other for larger capacity (sort like a train in that respect)

3) It's streamlined in both directions to allow travel in both directions. The seats would simply pivot so that everyone is facing the same way. Unless you want to have them sorta turned in towards each other like a mobile conference room for example. You can do either way.

4) You'll note the thickness of the lower door. This provides strength so that you can literally walk on the lowered door to enter. To board it you can walk up (from the platform that I'll work on later like I did for the Bio- Conveyor earlier) a short incline that lines up with the door.

5) You'll note the murkiness of the glass. It's not glass actually. It is Chitin. The same material that you find in insect shells for example. It's just a bit more transparent than most but murky because of the way how it was "Grown".

6) That greenish look on the inside of the pod is light shining through the "Glass" and not a texture itself.

ok, what I've done is uploaded 4 pics each showing the 3 phases of the dual hatchways opening and a group picture showing all 3 modes at once. Click on the links below each pic for a complete view.

Pod with doors closed.

Pod doors closed

Pod Partially open

Partially open

Pod doors fully open

Full sized pic link

And finally!

3 Phases of opening

Once again, these are concept pics only. I will add textures, chairs and other details others.

Hope that these are suitable for you.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
ok, I just finished some basic texture work for the Yydryl converti chair (or at least that's what I think of it as (chuckle)). I've also increased the diameter of the seat and support base as well for comfort. The lighter green areas are the cushions. Now I'll admit something. When I initially thought of putting the texture that I used on the chair that I did I didn't think it would turn out the way that it did. I turned out better than I thought that it would be! Or at least my opinion anyway. Technically the texture is that of a industrial type wall mounted fan but because of the shapes I ended up with the bizarre non-human looking vents! So I was like, "ok, let's go with this."

So whatchya think?

I'll admit that a part of me is happy with the colors of the chair cushions (The lighter green) but a part of me isn't. I'm open to suggestions.

Keep it? Or a different color?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have prepared an Opera recap that covers the 1st of the 15 pages. Feel free to leave your suggestions on improving the recap.

As is stated in the recap it only covers connections between different posts and in no way do non highlighted portions mean unimportant.

I will be adding this page by page to allow for easier critiquing and editing.

(More Story arcs will be added as more pages are added. This is only page one.)

Opera Recap Part I

This is includes all posts as of May 4th at the time this post is posted. It does not show connections between posts it is just the posts themselves.

Opera

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Studious]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Your recaps are absolutely incredible!! By all means pray continue. If you have to opportunity to do so then perhaps a Tech file listing the ships, the capabilities, how many crew, weaponry, and other notes as a reference manual for the writers. I believe that somewhere I made a post dealing with some of the basics sizes etc of the Rigelians as well and the reaction to that was pretty good.

How do you feel about that idea?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

mf_luder has produced these two very informative documents.

USS Penelope Specifications and Procedures by: mf_luder

UEF Historical Primer by: mf_luder

I could make technical Specifications for the Yydryl.

I will require input from the Yydryl Crew as their is little technical data so far.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Good to see you back Loam, I just watched you dissapear with the Mossean Slea whitch on the bridge!

We will be meeting the pen anytime now! I also just called to the bridge all crew members, so lets get connecting as the universe is in grave danger and none of us are going to survive if we dont get going....

Nature can only give us so many commands that go ignored, I personally cant wait for the Alien/Human connection in this story as they seem to have a better grasp of the technical stuff and will add so much to our direction.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

I love the Pods as I can imagine taking some of the atlantian Dolphins on ventures with me in them. Can I see what the base would look like in a dull metallic instead of red though? Pretty please? Also if the have lights how do you see those for say nightime excursions?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Here is the Preliminary Yydryl Specifications. I need input from the Yydryl Crew to fill in the "[??]" portions.

The format of it is copied...er....stolen from luder.

These two specification pdf's would give us a good side by side comparison of the two ships.

Note: I did not make up Orion Alliance as the name I found it in two locations.

From Cadbury's Pdf on the first page of the Story Thread

"A new crew awaited, encased safely inside the hull of this newly constructed
and more than sufficiently armed and manoeuvrable ship of the line. A
predominantly Regellian ship of the vast, expansionary Orion Alliance... it would also have speed."

Originally posted by masqua
Orion Alliance, departs from the Rigellian outpost in the

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Deson

I love the Pods as I can imagine taking some of the atlantian Dolphins on ventures with me in them. Can I see what the base would look like in a dull metallic instead of red though? Pretty please? Also if the have lights how do you see those for say nightime excursions?

Well, these pods are for internal ship use. Think of them as a sort of a tram or train in that respect. The red area is the same muscle that I used on the elevator pods the main difference is that they travel on tracks horizontally rather than vertically. I can design a separate (as in using outside of the ship) travel pod. I figure a landing craft with separate exploration pods. The landing craft lands on a planet and then the explorers hop into their little explorer pods and fly around exploring.

I hope that these pics will make things a little more clear:

ok, this design is for a 8 person version designed to carry people around the Yydryl. It uses the same muscle system as the elevator pods do and run on tracks like the elevator pods do just horizontally instead of vertically.

ok, first a view of a travel pod without the glass on it for clarity, showing seating arrangement, the opening hatch on the side (The gray area, with the red stripes). You can also see the fact that there are control panels at both ends since this can travel in either a forward or backward direction. The seats can swivel to allow this. Typical commands are given vocally. The panels are only used in the case of a security override. More on that in another pic.

Full sized pic showing external view without the glass

Here is a external view of one with the glass mounted on it. You'll note that this glass is a lot more clear than what I had earlier since I realized that your gonna want to see where your going. It's only natural that way.

Full sized pic with glass

And finally a view from inside of one showing the emergency override panel. You'll note that the view is from in between the front 2 chairs. A matching control panel is located in the rear.

Full sized pic of the override panel from inside of the pod

Here's how I figure it works. In a emergency a security person (or a ship's officer) can enter and commandeer a pod simply by either placing a hand on the scanner in the upper right. The resulting security scan is shown in the upper left. If the person doesn't have a hand (tentacles perhaps) he/she simply presses the large red button in the upper right area and then places a eye to the Blue circle just to the right of it. The resulting retina scan is shown in the lower right. Standard biometric readouts (pulse, blood pressure, etc) are displayed in the lower left.

Antar, I'll be getting to work on some landing craft along with exploratory pods shortly. I'll make sure that the explorer pods are aquatic capable as well. I figure about a 4 person capacity (not unlike a car) would be about right.

Sound good?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yydryl crew! Hi all! I came up with an inspired idea for my next post last night but I did not write it down. I will work on it now and have it up today or tomorrow. Look forward to playing with everyone.

Edited to add:
If anyone feels like visting my first thread on ATS,please do so.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=460908

[edit on 5-5-2009 by cindymars]

Edited to add again:
Ok I wrote it quickly and it was not so inspired. I might not have the writing chops to equal you guys. Oh well it keeps me in the story.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by cindymars]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

From your post in the story thread:

"her love for Spera might have to wait"

Dang it! Who's Spera? I was all set to have neno chasing the blue woman around the Yydryl like a drunken college boy, and now I find her heart already belongs to another!

Now I reckon I have to keeping him skulking in the shadows, hiding from those pesky Regellians that wanna make jerky out of him!

Oh the inhumanity of it all! A space pirate... er, I mean 'Officer's' life can be pretty harsh...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

"and her love for Spera might have to wait." Pretty corny stuff, huh.

Painted myself in a box, I did. Hey maybe he got killed on that human ship that Seeker blew up.

It shall be interesting to see how it pans out.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Killed on the ship Seeker blew up? That might leave her a little less than well disposed towards humans...

Neno sez "it's lonely at the top..." - and wants Luder to take his command chair back...

Neno also sez "... and cold, too!" ... so he can go to his berth and pout.

new topics

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join