It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

That is awesome! I wasn't sure if Saraswathi was a real person, from the descriptions that was what I gathered but when I saw you used the exact same name I'd put to the whale I thought you were referring to the story. Crazy cool synchronization right there. I actually used it because of the Hindu goddess of knowledge whose name is Saraswathi, though I must say I was looking at a small list I put together and that one just jumped off the page at me.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by questioningall

I am confused. Did I do something wrong? CM was going to checkout QA's timeline, because someone pulled her out of the bar right infront of me, prior to her decision to leave the story (hopefully temporarily). So when she suggested going into a BH, I thought cool. Except I hated to see her character leave, I love her writing.

So I am not pressuring her, I just haven't posted in a long time and I was trying to be collaborative. Someone please instruct me what to do.

Oh no CM, not at all, I was just talking with Qa about how she could leave making everyone happy, to leave with continuity within our storyline, but she has to be true to her own choice in how she leaves.

I admit , I may have fallen a bit behind in this thread over the Holiday, so if anyone misunderstood the collaboration it was me, however I stand by my words to Qa.

And remember masquas idea of having her only 'supposedly' dead? I love it because if she ever chooses to pop in it will be an open door.

I am really looking forward to our characters meeting on board the Yydryl CM, I see you as the wise Ancient...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Cool, NO I want her to come back but going into the BH is a fantastic story idea. Are we waiting on Loam? We need a leader.

I want to get this next post out so I can move on. I can drop the idea and write another?

Thank you so much for the reply, I was feeling insecure and left out. I should not post while PMS. Or drinking. LOL

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I should not post while PMS. Or drinking. LOL

Hee Hee, I should adhere to this policy as well

I am Guilty on both counts!

[edit on 4/14/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Seems as if many are taking a breather from the opera which is natural to the ebb and flow of writing.

Heh, I'm in an odd mood today, it's been dark and overcast - *shocker* my favorite weather. Okies....I like those hot, balmy days of summer as well....but still like those overcast and rainy. Ah, so predicatable I am.

Came across some musings on creative writing from modernists who also noticed that by implication, the act of creation - is often metaphysical and compulsatory.

These statements resonated with me, perhaps they will with you as well.

For your consideration:

"...in the silence you don't know, you must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on."

[color=4EE2EC]....Words strain,
Crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
Decay with imprecision...

[color=E67451]D.H. Lawrence, not interested in the metaphysical tension between language and silence, saying and not saying; what absorbs him is the relationship of power between author and material: "Never trust the artist. Trust the tale."

And finally, something that seemed to come at me personally:
"To me, also, he seems to write very badly: but to be a writer who had to write often badly in order to write sometimes well."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heh, do I hear murmurs of "okies, that Whisper has now gone off the deep end, she should really get out more." Fine - I'll get out today but, I'm not going to like it.

Good day to my dear confidants in writing.

Peace & Light to all.

[edit on 4/15/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Musing upon Creativity

The cycle ebbs and flows: that is a constant. The work remains unfinished, the canvas a shame to contemplate, taunting to every glance from the artist and a testament of inadaquacy to third party viewers.

"What's wrong?", they ask; "Is the artist bored/sick/uninterested?"

Like the tides in the ocean responding to lunar cycles, creativity rises to the muses.

So, what IS a muse?

It can be a book, a film, a poem, a scientific discovery or any other revelation which inspires one to go back to that unfinished work once again and attack it with fresh new eyes.

If you peek into my studio (my only occupation besides ATS), you would find unfinished paintings by the dozens. Some gather the filmy dross of arachnids over decades and yet I would never toss them on the garbage heap of failure. They remain for that day when once again I'm moved by some external inspiration and wash the dust of time from those interrupted brush strokes and breathe new life into an idea long forgotten.

It's happened dozens of times.

A painting untouched for many years suddenly winds up on my easel and, in the course of a few weeks, I stand back and marvel at the results. In some cases, I consider the end result an unsurpassed achievement compared to other work I've begun and ended in one fell swoop.

So it is with The Voyages of the Yydryl and the Penelope. It's a work of art to perhaps be set aside for a few days (or weeks/months) but always available to once again pick up and re-vitalize by the artists involved.

[edit on 15/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Thank you so much for the reply, I was feeling insecure and left out. I should not post while PMS. Or drinking. LOL

me to er um
the drinking part that is.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Heh, the Penny's been feeling empty lately. Where has everyone gone? I hope there isn't a collective loss of interest because I've been enjoying the collaboration more than is healthy.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm still here.

I'm just waiting on mf_luder to talk to Theresa.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

Yea, not sure about the *lull* - I'm surely not in one...

Can't wait to meet up with the Penny!

Once Captain Loam gets back and gives us a go ahead to hit earth things are going to heat up (I would think no?)???

Looking forward to spending some time with Cindymars at the Swamp in the between time! (Pretzels!)!

Youuuuu whooooooo Cindyyy... Where are you....

I hope you're out there enjoying Spring!

[edit on 16-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I think the lull stems mostly from the fact that spring has sprung, and everyone suddenly got preoccupied. It'll pick up again before long. I'd imagine Cap'n Luder is still on leave, and I'm sure he's up to his eyeballs in visiting about now. Everyone will run it all out of their system, soaking up the muse on the way, and be back to some serious writing afore long.

Silo! Thanks for gettin' us off of page 13 finally! and with a green man too! I've looked for some suitable jungle pic for you, but so far I've come up dry. Most have either sky (not good for inside a ship) or swamp in them. I need to find something with triple canopy, to blot out the sky. I'd post one from my personal collection, but they're too grainy.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Neno - That necklace, man oh man I had no idea it would turn out like that - It's a Photoshop job I did from 4 different photos. Now I want one, lol.

About your jungle pics, if you find one you like stick it on your photos and I'll take it and Photoshop in starry sky. It's what I've been doing with the other (few) pics I have - Just choose one that’s the clearest.
I think it would be great to get one of your originals in there. (I’d pass it by you for inspection after PS'ing and before posting it too).

Anyway, I've gotten a hint from the inspiration birdie concerning Ship's Center - for now it's stick to starry skies.
Blue skies might be right around the corner though...

[edit on 16-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hello my dear friends, I too am here and love the poetry written above by both masqua and whisper. Am working on an old antiquated comp right now and am spoiled by wanting, needing to place cool pictures with my posts, I know unnecessary as we attempt to draw a picture in the readers minds, our minds with word.

I am just waiting for that moment when the story pulls me back in yet for now am celebrating the soil of mother nature (masquas wife) and working with her to produce sustenance for my family and anyone who wishes to share in the abundance of her offerings.

Yesterday it was with a tear filled heart I watched my 13 year old run the tractor for the first time, my 93 year old Grandpa was here to teach him from his extensive experience so that my son did not have to learn from his mistakes rather from the wellspring of knowledge from my beloved Grandpa. It was a sacred time, a treat both to the soul of my history (we have been here since the 1700's) and to the visual beauty of watching the old treat the young with patience and understanding.

Only at the end did I show up camera in hand and stay only long enough to get the nod of approval from my Grandpa and the words he spoke that told me my son had done exactly as he was told.

So yes RL takes us away at times, but without it our stories would be less not more.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm in a agreement that a lull can at times be called for. Sometimes it's Rl that interferes, sometimes a simple (albeit temporary) blockage. In my case, I'll continue with artwork concepts when I can.

Besides, when you think of it. Which is better a entry that is well thought out when the muse strikes? Or one that is rushed?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

Yea, not sure about the *lull* - I'm surely not in one...

Can't wait to meet up with the Penny!

Once Captain Loam gets back and gives us a go ahead to hit earth things are going to heat up (I would think no?)???

Looking forward to spending some time with Cindymars at the Swamp in the between time! (Pretzels!)!

Youuuuu whooooooo Cindyyy... Where are you....

I hope you're out there enjoying Spring!

Hey as soon as I am able to get my next post out we will meet up in the swamp on the next post.
I want to applaud your creative ability to storytelling creating characters t o intercat with Carpet,Droid, Ship! So clever. I have really enjoyed your post.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Ok thanks.
I've a quick 150 to put out and then I'll wait until I hear from you and I'll mosey on over to the Swamp!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Here are a few 'jungle' pictures. The first 3 are in Nicaragua, but are cropped from another picture (it had a 'swinging bridge' in it, and a couple of huts)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce35e24d5310.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/879d0de9aeba.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c71edffdb9b.jpg[/atsimg]

This is one of the 'grainy' ones I was talking about. It's triple canopy, not much sky. There is actually a house in the middle of it (the house my dad was born in), but all you can see is a section of roof, and a chimney pipe. One of my friends said the chimney pipe looked more like a mortar tube to him.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f87085bd0382.jpg[/atsimg]

If it wasn't for the 'clearing' where the house is, there wouldn't have been enough light to take the picture, it's so thick there.
It's one of the most 'jungly' environments I've ever been in, in the States. Note that even lianas, or some kind of massive 'viney' things can be seen in the picture.

I'll keep on the hunt for better ones.

[edit on 2009/4/16 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well I for one have some new stuff in the works. I've been writing so you know I have had some time on my hands but I would request a little more interaction with some of the other crew members so I can feel more a part of
you know.

Also on a side note my Fiances little brother just signed up here at ATS so please can you guys give him a warm welcome

www.abovetopsecret.com...

P.S. He can be a pest and a bandwidth hog at times

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Hello my dear friends, I too am here and love the poetry written above by both masqua and whisper.

Just needed to clairfy, I did not that write those - only quoting. I'm dipping my toe into some classic literature: D.H. Lawrence "Women in Love." I saw the movie on TCM and it was really artsy, refelctions on life and love. Those poems and comments were from the Introduction of the book and stuck out at me. Wish I could take the credit!

What a beautiful story Antar, thanks for sharing. Curious - are there any structures there from the 1700s? If so, have you done any EVP work? It's simple to do if you have a digital voice recorder. Interesting, fun, and can be addictive.

I find myself thinking about Whisper and the opera throughout the day. I'm going to have start taking said notebook around with me everywhere to take notes. I have inspirations at the oddest times and places.

Wanted to publicly state I really enjoyed your last post Silo. It was especially moving since the previous posts were so sad. You express the emotions of your character with her actions very well. Bravo!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well I for one have some new stuff in the works. I've been writing so you know I have had some time on my hands but I would request a little more interaction with some of the other crew members so I can feel more a part of
you know.

Drop by the brig. You could be trying to figure out why one of the cells is suddenly active, thinking it is a malfunction or something. When really it is because we have a prisoner.

Then when the Captain comes down to see her you'll be there as well.

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join