It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'm cooking something up, may not be posted until tomorrow but it is progressing. I liked the last post as well Antar, although I must ask... when did Ssscurvy develop a lisssp?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Scurvy

I'm just not sure why you raised this point, and made it sound so urgent, of determining who and when people can join and leave. I don't see it as an issue and I'm just trying to figure out what makes this such a problem in your eyes beyond readability. To be blunt you have not yet convinced me that there need to be guidelines in place... and I enjoy a good debate.

I gave an explanation what I felt is the difference between rpg and collaboration.

Here it is:

I don't know what an rpg is.
For me collaborative would mean a group coming together to create something with consistency of story line - like you'd see in a book.
A "Roll playing game" would indicate to me something with far less structure, not as much commitment to continuity, and something where leaving the readers in a lurch isn't a big deal.

Urgency is due to QA is leaving with Teresa.
I’m sorry they’re going.
Even though I’m sorry they’re going I’ve tried to make it clear I was hoping we could get together before anything else was written and quickly clean up the deaths and tie them into the story.
Even minimal attention, something with foreshadow, anything the readers can latch onto, something to explain (other than 27k of these deaths going on about the galaxy) why these deaths might have taken place in such quick succession on the Yydryl.

Many options are out there and already write into the story that could be used.

But I can’t do it.

I was hoping if I brought it to the attention of the whole crew a couple of people on the Yydryl could set aside their next post, or a quick 150 word-er to get this done.

Would be a shame to let the opportunity pass.

As for when people can join and when they can’t?
I’ve never said that at all - or even implied it.

I’ll go get my own quote but I need a coffee, I’ll edit this in a sec.

Here's that one... (Coffee brewing, lol)...

All I’m suggesting is some statement to tentative new participants that while new writers are encouraged the bringing in of new characters and then writing them right out again takes a lot of time and dedication from other participants and makes it difficult to stay cognitive to the story line.

I don’t want to discourage anyone from joining far from it.
In fact I went out and recruited someone who is a member of S.O right now.
But it would be nice for people who are tentative about joining to ask themselves in all seriousness if they plan on staying for a while or not.

peace

[edit on 10-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hiya folks!

Sorry I've not been around much lately, but stuff happens. I have 10 dogs, everything from giant wolf-hybrids to a teeny little maltese. Maltese decided it was time to have puppies, and ran into trouble. Had to take her to the vet for a c-section. None of the puppies made it, but momma is doing swimmingly. She's having issues thinking I'm gonna disappear on her again, and she'll wake up in a strange place, so she's a bit clingy at the moment. Add to that the fact that my family is exploding, and my son and I will probably be moving this weekend, and it makes for a busy week. Such is the nature of life.

Silo, I fully understand your views on continuity. I had some similar issues myself, early on, then decided that the curves thrown were more challenge than hindrance, and attempted to rise to the occaision. To me, they tend to create more opportunities than problems these days. Sort of like life in the real world, except here we get to deal with the curves in a more creative manner, the script isn't written, we write it. I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to get my viewpoint across, in hopes that it will help.

QA, I hate to see you go, but only you know how to budget your talents. Personally, I'm with the rest on a 'temporary' solution, but in the end it's your decision. Since the Ophiuchis will be coming, I can see how QA's far reaching mind would be alerted to the danger, and expansion, before the first shots are even fired on the frontier, some (dare I say 'U-Man'?) urge could prompt her to leave Yydryl towards federation space with a warning, or even a 'broadcast' in both directions from a median distance, perhaps to Teresa, and an alien crewmember, then BLIP, her ship dissappears off the radar, lost at sea as it were. Perhaps reinforced by CindyMars' time travels, the 'message' could take on a new urgency, and lead to a 'first contact'. Being 'lost at sea', QA may live to fight another day. Or not.

If Teresa is to take on a life of her own, she needs a writer. I would expect that, as QA is 'lost', Teresa would return to her own mind. What that mind turns out to be would be another matter entirely
. Assuming we could find a writer for her, I'd nominate her as First Officer, taking into account her background. Could make for some uncomfortable interplay for Cap'n Luder, though

I'm waiting to see who we get in a fight with at Alf Cen this time!

Luder, I wish I'd known you were looking for GURPS books. I've got a pdf of GURPS Space somewhere, should you want it for a ready-reference on your computer, close to hand. I wouldn't forsee any copyright issues, since you've already purchased a copy. Has system and planet generation tables, stuff like that. I used the tables to write a program in BASIC years ago to generate random sectors of space, throwing in the research I did for the relative numbers of stars in nearby real space. Not sure if I could find it now, though. If you want it, I'll try to find it, but I can't guarantee it will work on modern machines.

nenothtu out

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

"QA, I hate to see you go, but only you know how to budget your talents. Personally, I'm with the rest on a 'temporary' solution, but in the end it's your decision. Since the Ophiuchis will be coming, I can see how QA's far reaching mind would be alerted to the danger, and expansion, before the first shots are even fired on the frontier, some (dare I say 'U-Man'?) urge could prompt her to leave Yydryl towards federation space with a warning, or even a 'broadcast' in both directions from a median distance, perhaps to Teresa, and an alien crewmember, then BLIP, her ship dissappears off the radar, lost at sea as it were. Perhaps reinforced by CindyMars' time travels, the 'message' could take on a new urgency, and lead to a 'first contact'. Being 'lost at sea', QA may live to fight another day. Or not. "

Intersting that you should say that as in my last post, I had intended to go and see what QA was by visiting her past. I have been waiting and thinking because even if you have complete creative liberties in TT/Time Travel there seems to be consequences hitting every idea I come up with.
I could somehow be able to report to Loam but I have not even had a conversation with any Frackin body on the ship must less go and tell him something important. So we shall see.

Edited to add:
I feel ignored.
Except for Silo and Whisper.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

For sure man. I bought it specifically for the tables and stuff. The book goes into excruciating detail with the science as well. I would love any PDFs you have as well. To be honest I wasn't even looking for gurps I just went to this comics/RPGs shop to try to find some space stuff for this story. I may write sci fi but god knows I don't have an extremely extensive background in actual astrophysics.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

OMG astropysic's. I would be SO screwed. LOL
I am glad you guys are doing it and not me.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thank you to Springer for the vote of confidence on our endevour.
Also thanks to all writers here for their intense interest in our project.
I think it is cool and fun!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Should I send it to the e-mail address I have, or have you got an alternate? I've also got the tables from 2300AD. Those are about 9.5 megabytes. Not sure about the gurps, I'm still searching for it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
reply to post by masqua

Thank you to Springer for the vote of confidence on our endevour.

Springer?
Did we get an addaboy/ addgirl from the bossman and I missed it?

OOOPS!

Never mind

From Springer

I want to personally THANK each of the writers on ATS who have helped in creating the excellent, collaborative works we host. I also want all of you to completely disregard any attempts at skewing your creative genius with "role playing" or less than "ATS worthy" as both descriptions are sheer BOLLOCKS.

mark (Springer)...

[edit on 9-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I do like the idea of good continuity, and I realize that it may confuse readers with many dying and no explanation.

I would argue that we should do as they do in show business. We should have people either be promoted away, set off on some quest or put in stasis.

Promotion
I'll explain what I mean. Shows have a limited frame of what they show. They show people in a certain environment with certain status. When people get "promoted" out of that environment it makes sense. People do get "promoted" i.e. better job, military promotion etc.. and do move away from the frame of the story. It seems only natural that some people would leave and go on to other things, while new members would join.

Examples (Hammond and O'Neill on Stargate. Both promoted to higher and higher positions. Both pushing them outside the main frame of the story.
TV Trope Put on a Bus)

Personal Journey
Sometimes stories have one character go off on a quest of their own. From which they may or might not return to the main story from. Someone leaves on a quest to find someone or something etc..., while the others stay behind and do what they were doing before. Somtimes one of those "I must do this alone" things.

Examples (Can't find the trope, I hope you get the idea though)

Stasis
Stasis works because its sets up their easy return without having to explain why they were demoted or how their quest went.

Examples (Stasis Trope)

In all three of the above cases the person should be mentioned from time to time so a return does not seem out of the blue. Unless they are not returning at which point they would only be mentioned when it serves the story. This means they would have been placed on a Long bus trip

Actual Death
Death is only used in extreme cases in stories because it is difficult to have someone come back from the dead. Of course some stories do have people return even after they are dead.

In our case too many deaths will be suspicious, as well and seem to show something else is afoot when nothing is.

Not Quite Dead
Presumed dead is more of stasis or quest. Either they died were lost in space and frozen in time (Stasis). Or they faked their death and then did something which would make it more of Personal Journey. Not Quite Dead Trope)

I hope I am making sense here. I know I've probably forgotten some ways people leave the frame of the story. Feel free to mention those methods of departure.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Studious]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hey, I just posted something in the Penelope thread, so at this point, I will await my orders. I have led up to the reasoning etc. of my demise/disappearance and I also gave a continuing for Theresa in it.

Just let me know, what my orders and message is.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The black hole is genius!!!

A mystery that is somewhat philosophical about what lies in a black hole, coupled with the ability to return.

About my recent post:
Since Theresa would need a trial of her own if we don't fit her into the current Tribunal I think it is necessary for someone to capture her........ again

Who will have temporary control of Theresa? Temporary because we might find someone to write for her.

We need to add Theresa's testimony to the Tribunal. Plus we need to do the final discussion between the three admirals before we set off on our journey.

When I say it's like someone flipped a switch that is a reference to Qa flipping "the switch" to form the connection with Theresa so she could free her.

I had her just nod so as not to write for the character.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Awesome post QA! Tied everyone's ideas together wonderfully. That should set up something we can all work with and your disappearance won't disrupt the flow of story elements already in place as we'll find out after the fact and be able to concoct a way to figure out you're gone.

Perhaps once Theresa fills in mf and the crew finds out they'll come to seek revenge for all their own reasons? Could set us up for an aggressive meet and greet and then when the jerky finds out QA is no longer with us we come to a resolution of sorts.... hmmm... I do like your post QA... many possibilities afoot.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

james.c.gammage@us.army.mil

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Thanks -

Now I just need to find out, what kind of scenerio all of you want to go forward with in meeting up? The message was it really a set up from the rulers to have a chaos type situation, but it was twarted by QA being sucked into a black hole, so then in fact some realizations happen with everyone on both ships, on who is behind the "evil" doings? Then you both join forces to fight the "dark side/rulers" and

"go where no man has gone before" ?

Jeez, that phrase sounds familar... I wonder where I have heard it before?

I am just throwing some ideas out.

Okay, I will just hang back and wait to find out what and how you want it accomplished.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Hey I had an idea...just throwing it out there. What if QA sends a message to Lom and or Antar as well as MF and or Seeker spilling the beans on The Rulers just before going into the black hole. That would clear Theresa and let both ships know whats up.

Also if and hopefully QA returns she could be so cool having been in that BH.

Again great post QA and great story telling.

Also I would like to visit QA near the BH. Just thinking.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I personally like the idea of Theresa eventually becoming the first officer of the Penelope.

We could work in some type of storyline where she consciously remembers key information about what took place in the Alpha Centauri system with the war plans and things of that nature. Maybe due to the fact that she was technically not herself, they could demote her one step to Commander and put her on the Penelope before she leaves port.

As for QA.

I like the ascension idea that was mentioned earlier. She seems to be one of those "out there" type characters. Why not have her ascend to a higher state of conscious similar to Daniel Jackson in SG1? Maybe by going into the event horizon, it could trigger that ascension?

I don't want to determine what other's characters do or don't do - but I think that would be fitting for you QA.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by mf_luder]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well I had to do a quick edit job. It seems I forgot about Seeker

I got confused between tactical and weapons control DOH!

I hope it still works out.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hey man - lol - I don't know if you remember or not, or if your character just isn't aware, but the UEF is gearing up for war with the Alpha Centaurians. That's why the Penelope is getting geared up for combat.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Yeah I know but my character was asleep.
He has not been informed yet about the present situation.
It's one thing for us and the reader to know but unless there are mission briefs or ship announcements the other characters would not know whats going on.

Continuity

[edit on 10-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join