It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 349
<< 346  347  348    350  351  352 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
reply to post by wildtimes

Here you go... remember, Muckles isn't a big fan of
technology, but I suppose needs-must1

Heh heh!! I LOVE it!!
Yeah, she's kinda sneaky....her 'cover' is partly that recalcitrance for using technology.. She knows how, she just doesn't "like" it.....
still, it beats having to void on a bunch of sacred artifacts.

Thank you bejillions!!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
With any luck, I'll be back in the swing and clear headed enough to work out a post for the story sometime this evening. Too much drama going on at the homestead at the moment, keeping me a bit into the frazzled range. Women get excitable over the damndest tiny things, and if they find one thing to get fired up over, it makes it a lot easier for 'em to find more. Too many things going on here at the same time, all of which are only buffeting MY nerves peripherally, A water heater crash has led to casting around to find MORE junk to get irritable about, as if the lack of hot water ain't enough. Everybody want stuff fixed RIGHT NOW, or maybe yesterday, not realizing that there isn't any magic to seal up pipes and whatnot. Add in some inconsequential bad-mouthing by strangers impugning their integrity, and folks can slide off the scale.

Me? Hell, I don't care one way or t'other. Folks are gonna talk - if you get anything right at all to get noticed. It's the irritation itself irritating me - I dunno whether to have a meltdown or a crackdown, but I'm leaning towards the crackdown.

Once I get to work, where there ain't nobody but me to get on my nerves, it all oughtta smooth out so I can think up a post!

later on, y'all!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

What about a starship -that you could just get into and leave
the troubles and stifes at home?
The idea of soaring through the silent vacuum of space does
hold a man's heart when all around him is bedlam.

Just a note to ask, if this pipe-dream comes true... I'm the one
waving frantically from my rooftop!!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

A Starship would be grand, but I checked Craig's list, and couldn't find a good second-hand one cheap, so I'm guessing it'll be Shank's Mare I'm riding out of here shortly! After that, they can have a feeding frenzy off of one another's nerves and melt the house down for all I care!

Life can be hard being the only male in an all-gal house!
I reckon it's partly my upbringing that creates the dichotomy - hell, I know how to heat water on a stove if I've a mind to heat it, and the official heater is on the blink. Then, when this one says that one said the other one DID.... well, it generally puts me to sleep - 'specially when I don't even know the first one in line, and can't imagine why I should care what it is she said that one said what t'other one did...

Hard to get a good nap in when all that screaming starts, though...
I'm just glad I recently cut my hair into a crew cut, in case the hair pullin' starts!

ETA: I went to shave and start getting ready for work ('cause homeboy is HARD CORE - I can shave with nothing more than a sharp pen knife and a bad attitude), and it came to mind that the word "kerfuffle" from Wildtime's last post is pretty descriptive of the situation here. The conversations sound like this:

"Kerfuffle kerfuffle?"

"KERFUFFLE! Kerrfuffle that kerfufflin' kerfuffler, and the kerfuffle she kerfuffled in on!"

edit on 2012/5/18 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

"Kerfuffle kerfuffle?"

"KERFUFFLE! Kerrfuffle that kerfufflin' kerfuffler, and the kerfuffle she kerfuffled in on!"

Right? Ugghh. women.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I grew up in a house full of 'em too.
Acquiring skills on how to get around these enigmatic creatures -when I should've
been running the streets and countryside stood me (unknowingly at the time)...
in good-stead.

A guy just moves on, to an onlooker it might seem that he is lonely or a person
who just doesn't know how to interact with folk -when really he's just sitting in his
head eating-up the peace and quiet!

I think we're at the point where Dag and Silo step-in and brow-beat us about being
who we are!!!

edit on 18-5-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

A Starship would be grand, but I checked Craig's list, and couldn't find a good second-hand one cheap,

I enjoy the movie 'Soldier' with Kurt Russell, I think it says everything about a guy!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I think we're at the point where Dag and Silo step-in and brow-beat us about being
who we are!!!

What?!!
Naaa......Dag thinks you guys ROCK!! I grew up with brothers, okay?

No sister(s). Just me and my mother in a house full of men.
Funny how that works out, eh??

edit on 18-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I had 3 sisters to contend with growing up. Probably good training for life thereafter! Otherwise, I'd be bald(er)!

Anyhow, I'm safe and sound (more or less) now at work, and if anyone irritates me out here, I can throw rocks at 'em until they go 'way. How I got here is a tale for another day.

The Highlander franchise developed, over time, a peculiar naming convention for it's villains. All of them wound up having names that begain with a "k" sound, and eventually the good immortals became known as "immies", and the villain immortals came to be known as "kimmies".

With Carimono and now Kerchner, it seems we are developing our OWN set of "kimmies"

BIAD's latest post sets gears to churning... If the Good Doctor was tortured and killed in 2012, and Kerchner met his demise at some point thereafter, but there were other conspirators to be dealt with... and they had not yet been dealt with as of 2323... EITHER these co-conspirators are also immortal, OR time travel is going to be involved.... and the most recent immortal introduced is.... COCOBOLO!

edit on 2012/5/18 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Peeling the trees away to show the city beneath:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Very cool! I'd really like to learn to do that someday - really. I'll pick it up and start this fall when things slow down around here. Watch out Space Opera then! LOL

peace

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Awww,,, BIAD!

------------------------------------------------

Obee kaybee!! Dag and Adam have had a, erm, "talk"....
although "full disclosure" has not yet happened....will it ever? Will it be confessionals? Or gossip that does it?

now we'll see what happens when he discovers Sslar is gone...and so is Cecilia....
yikes.
----------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
It occurs to me, in repose and review, that I have been, for a spell now, 'peeling away' layers of the characters...exposing secrets and flaws.......Dag, Adam, Mucklebones, Brittle, Gert, even dream-Margot
.....all of them now have revealed (to us as readers, but also to at LEAST one other character) their 'personal spaces' or foibles, vulnerabilities, whatever.....that they feel require discretion. And now having been revealed or discovered....they're each hoping that the other character(s) in the know will keep quiet.

This was not intentional, or deliberate. It is simply what flew out of my fingertips over the present Earth-day cycle. ..and only after 4 ..... 5?.....posts I see the pattern. Please, everyone let me know if I've veered too far off course....or if it's confusing.... *chewing lip*

Up next: the kerfuffle in the recovery bay as Ben and Brittle smuggle Sslar out. Stay tuned!

edit on 19-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

This is great! their failings, weaknesses and poor dress-sense are now on
display and ergo -the readers see that these weaknesses really belong
to the writers!!

Thank Jenovah -that BIAD is the normal one among the pack.
edit on 19-5-2012 by A boy in a dress because: spelling

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

For some odd reason, I read "torture the girls" instead of "tutor the girls". I reckon my eye's ain't fully open yet... need - more - coffee.....

Anyhow, in reference to Adam's kiss on Silo, and whether neno would tell Dag, neno's stance is "Nope. I kin keep stuff under my hat, and you've got enough stuff to repair anyhow without me breakin' any more for ye! I ain't said a DAMN thing!"

I've got to wonder if anyone has figured NENO'S weak points, and are just keeping mum... 'cause they're there - he just does his level best to hide them, but there's some stuff you just can't keep under wraps, no matter how hard you try.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

This is great! their failings, weaknesses and poor dress-sense are now on
display and ergo -the readers see that these weaknesses really belong
to the writers!!

Thank Jenovah -that BIAD is the normal one among the pack.
edit on 19-5-2012 by A boy in a dress because: spelling

Fashion sense indeed! Gramps was a biker, and wore leathers!

Be right back - I've got to figure out where I left that tin of Neatsfoot Oil for waterproofing...

Speaking of an odd fashion sense, and neno's current getup of baggy fatigue britches and a "vest", and taking into considering the surroundings the fellas find themselves in at the moment...

That was taken long ago, mid-80's. There are no prints of it anywhere. I scanned that from an ancient, water-damaged negative, and "inverted" the colors to make it not-negative. The britches are my standard "tiger stripe" cammies (still pretty much the only kind of cammies I wear - I even got a couple sets of tan 'desert tigers' when I was going to go to Iraq), and the "vest" is a garden variety O.D. green fatigue blouse with the sleeves cut off - I never have been able to stand sleeves floppin' around my arms. The name-tapes over the pockets have my name on the right one and "CANUL" over the left one - that was a mercenary outfit named after a much older mercenary outfit that invaded Mexico long before the Spaniards ever invaded it. The originals were Toltecs, I think, and were the first to bring the new technology of the bow and arrow to Central America.

Well, you DID mention poor fashion sense!

edit on 2012/5/19 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

edit on 2012/5/19 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Adam never kissed Silo.

Fix it.

peace
edit on 20-5-2012 by silo13 because: T&C

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

When I wrote the last posting, I hadn't read that your Grandfather was
a biker! It just goes to show that them-there 'ethereal channels' are still
crackling across the pond!

I was after hinting that paths cross or maybe dimesions blur into each
other at times, sometimes this life is truly a wonderful one!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

‘Your blood pressure Adam.’ Silo pursed her lips trying to hide the smile. He was scared for her. It felt nice. And because it felt nice Silo’s eyes brimmed with tears as he turned away.

‘I don’t have high blood pressure!’ Adam returned hotly but with less volume, ‘But if I didn’t before I do now...’ Turning back he swallowed his words. ‘Aww nowww don’t you go and start blubbering.’ In one stride he had her in his arms awkwardly patting her hair. ‘You scared me something fierce lass.’ He murmured by way of apology against her hair.

They stayed like that, swaying together the warm night air filled with promise and the call of peepers. Her hair smelled sweet. He rubbed a strand between his fingers glad she’d returned it to it’s natural color. Her face pressed up against his front Silo couldn’t help but breath in his musky scent the hairs on his chest where his shirt parted soft and springy against her cheek.

‘Silo?’ Pip moaned for inside the cave and like they’d caught on fire Silo and Adam broke apart smoothing their shirts and hair mumbling silly words without meeting each others eyes.

‘Be right back.’ Silo called ducking into the cave. Adam tried not to watch her small firm backside as she bent over and failed. Running his hands through his hair then over his face he sighed and swore softly.

READ THIS^^^

Close enough.

Deal with it...write around it, and get over it. Some feel that's the beauty of the collaboration.

How many times have you have ripped my posts asunder? with no warning, or questions, or care for where I was going or what I was building? disregarded my posts altogether, ignoring where I have characters and what they are doing, and inserted your own posts that take my plotting completely apart? Adam should never have been there to begin with. Kindly stop yelling.

No, I won't "fix it". They were good posts, and he WAS out of bounds with silo. It's too late for me to edit it, and it's not worth troubling masqua over. Good grief.

‘Dag?’ Silo questioned simply.

‘We’re through.’ He replied baldly.

THEY WERE NEVER "THROUGH."

T&C, indeed.
I'm so over your browbeating.

edit on 20-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

When I wrote the last posting, I hadn't read that your Grandfather was
a biker! It just goes to show that them-there 'ethereal channels' are still
crackling across the pond!

I was after hinting that paths cross or maybe dimesions blur into each
other at times, sometimes this life is truly a wonderful one!

No, I meant neno's gramps - mine was a carpenter and stonemason on one side, and a coal miner on the other - but both thoroughly hillbilly. One of them never drove anything at all, much less a motorcycle - he walked for miles and miles to work, to build a house or lay up some rocks. The other lived withing a few hundred yards of the mines, so he walked to work and back home, to.

I reckon I come by my aversion to vehicles and proclivity for walking honest!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I was at the movies the other day with my mom....Dark Shadows...loads of fun movie...but during the previews, there were several lengthy adds for an upcoming 3-part miniseries about the Hatfields and McCoys. Wow...talk about brutal! Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton are in it, and the trailers were ALL about murdering each other, firing squads, heads blown off at arm's length, shrieking women and pissed off guys.

Yikes. Is it really like that? Or was it??

Did either of your gramps ride horses or mules? How did they do market-stuff? Wagon? How far away from town were they, or did they live in towns? Holy cow. How did he get the carpentry and stones to the site? Or were they dropped off ahead of time?

new topics

top topics

<< 346  347  348    350  351  352 >>

join