It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 347
<< 344  345  346    348  349  350 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Have a post ready about Sslar - just needs editing - nothing earth shattering - just her recovery period and how she is aware what Neno is up to. A little about Pip and Silo... I wanted to let you all know so I'm not over-posted. It will also secure 'The Twins' working in the Recovery Bay.

Oh! Why isn't it edited and posted??? Weeeeel, I learned all about how a short handled kaiser blade and thumbs do not mix when cutting brush. That damn blade doesn't know the difference! I lost the whole top quarter of my thumb - nail and all just about to bone, lol.

Oh, back to the story. I'm not going to be joining in the main theme of this storyline for a while as - farming is at it's height and I don't work I don't eat. Also - this is my busiest time of year for harvesting fruit to make my tiny cash crop. Etc, blah blah, etc. SO! What I'm focusing on is developing the characters aboard the Yydryl in general but secure terms so they're at your disposal to use later if needed. I.E - setting the girls up as crew, cementing roles, etc.

By the by - Neno... Um... You have any experience in cauterizing wounds? I mean, is it as 'easy' as getting the ol' blade red hot and then just pressing it onto the 'wound'. I've got my Tonto all ready to stick in a flame. I'm only lacking... Oh, never mind. I'll hitch a ride to the doc's if I need to, lol.

Right now? I'm using the Spumanti cap (ya know the little cap with the twisty wire thing?) from my birthday to protect my thumb. It makes a great thumb guard! It's gonna look like all hell when I try and hitch a ride but...

peace
edit on 16-5-2012 by silo13 because: color

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

The more the merrier! bring 'em on down, the water is fine... er, dangerous but still warm, and so "fine"!

I restructured the image to render with less overhead, and this is what I got:

It only took an hour and 25 minutes to render that one out, on that same size. It's 2/3 the size it was before. Murky atmosphere, because it's so thick, and worse there because a storm has either just passed or is coming on. The black thingies sticking up out of the trees are the tops of a couple buildings in the abandoned city below. Under the trees, the city is partially flooded by a local swamp. I don't know if the land has subsided, if the water table has risen, or if it's just an flood incursion from the storm, but when I duck beneath the trees, there is water there in the half or so of the city towards the observer.

The inspiration for this came from an actual, real live city. A few years ago I was guarding N-Sync in Greensboro, NC. Late in the night I went to the top of the hotel to catch the view, and was surprised to see a sea of trees with only an occasional building poking up here and there. It was like there was no city at all under the trees other than those couple of buildings, but I knew there was a thriving anthill down there.

Some times, flying over the jungles in Yucatan, Guatemala, and Belize, you can see the same thing, but ancient. You may see the ruins of a Mayan temple poking out of the tree canopy, where no one has lived for a thousand years. Around the base of the temple, beneath the tree canopy, are the ruins of an ancient city scattered all over the jungle floor, covered with vines and vegetation, with ancient trees growing from them here and there, sometime right from the middle of the floor of what used to be a building.

Makes me wonder some times what Greensboro will look like in a thousand years.

edit on 2012/5/16 by nenothtu because: My Typer was running faster than my Thinker.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
D-D-Double post....
edit on 2012/5/16 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Makes me wonder some times what Greensboro will look like in a thousand years.

I know what you mean....we have very heavy forests here, too....and with the warm winter and the early spring, it already looks like July outside! Holy cow!!

Normally our "last freeze date" for gardening purposes is May 15!! Last night, I heard a freaking Cicada singing!! HellOOOooo?? What? Go back to bed!! The brush on our fence-row is threatening to engulf the truck and the boat completely...hostas with leaves as wide as a football...and my Japanese Irises, which I've had for 20 years, have bloomed for the FIRST TIME EVER!! They're very pretty, it was nice to make their acquaintance!

I'm amazed at the climate changes...used to be my husband and I wanted to move to N.C. or Georgia, down in that area....but now, that area seems to be coming to US!! I won't be surprised if we start seeing Spanish moss dripping from the trees in a few more years..... bougainvilleas, rhododendrons, ferns...all those gorgeous window boxes like in pictures.

and heat.

Anyway, it is fascinating to fly and look below...I flew over Copper Canyon in Mexico a few years ago...utterly amazing. And the two young American honeymooners in the seats in front of me never once even looked out their window!! -- they were busy reading trashy magazines and sporting stylish clothes from Abercrombie or wherever. Oh well.

Flying in or out of KC, my house is directly under the flight path...but you can't see it, the tree cover obscures it completely. heheh....stealth-house.

Okay, I'll work it up....one Q...can Cecilia communicate with the Starwolf independently?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

No, no experience with cauterizing. I damn near cut my thumb off like that once, just between the nail and the first joint, but on the underside, prying with a too-sharp knife. My sister freaked out, because I flung the stove door open and was slinging the blood into the stove to keep from bleeding all over the floor, and she was hovering around screaming for me to stop that, because she was afraid I'd sling the end of my thumb into the stove. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I had to wrap it and hold pressure for two hours before it stopped bleeding, and when it did, I had her thread a needle for me and I threw a few stitches into it myself to hold it together while it knit back. To this day, I have an "offset" where I didn't get the edges matched up quite right, but I kept the thumb. Throwing your own stitches one-handed ain't the way to go if you want "pretty".

I recommend that trip to the doctor to patch it up, and the sooner the better, to stave off infection. Infection ain't nothing to play with, and can cost you body parts that could have otherwise been saved. There is a girl here right now, down in Georgia, who has lost a leg, part of her abdomen, and now the fingers of both hands due to an infection that set up in a gash in her leg. Get thee to the doctor, mucho pronto!

I love that movie "Sling Blade". Billy Bob got the accent, language, and even the mannerisms down pat. I've known folks up in the hills that talked and acted EXACTLY like that, to include the punctuating "HMM" 's.

Damned Kaiser blades (some folks call 'em sling blades...)... !

PS - "cauterizing" is only to stop the blood flow. It "cooks" a layer of flesh to seal off blood vessels, which inhibits the healing process and leaves two dead layers of YOU to try to come back to life and knit back together. Not recommended AT ALL for surfaces you hope to rejoin. It's usually employed for amputations and avulsions, where what is gone is going to stay gone, and open wounds that are not going to be sewn back together, but will eventually re-skin themselves through the healing process.

edit on 2012/5/16 by nenothtu because: Typer running faster than Thinker again - it's starting to smoke.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

I know what you mean....we have very heavy forests here, too....and with the warm winter and the early spring, it already looks like July outside! Holy cow!!

Normally our "last freeze date" for gardening purposes is May 15!! Last night, I heard a freaking Cicada singing!! HellOOOooo?? What? Go back to bed!! The brush on our fence-row is threatening to engulf the truck and the boat completely...hostas with leaves as wide as a football...and my Japanese Irises, which I've had for 20 years, have bloomed for the FIRST TIME EVER!! They're very pretty, it was nice to make their acquaintance!

At work, out in the boonies, the place is eat up with frogs. Frogs live and breed in the puddle next to my office, and tree frogs are endemic in the woods. I heard them singing at the end of march this year, just like I used to hear in June up in the mountains.

I'm amazed at the climate changes...used to be my husband and I wanted to move to N.C. or Georgia, down in that area....but now, that area seems to be coming to US!! I won't be surprised if we start seeing Spanish moss dripping from the trees in a few more years..... bougainvilleas, rhododendrons, ferns...all those gorgeous window boxes like in pictures.

and heat.

gators are returning to NC now. yes, we have gators again. they can be found along the Blackwater River where the Lumbees live, and one was recently reported in a lake as far inland as Gastonia - that's just west of Charlotte.

"Rhododenrons" are a fancy name for what we called Mountain Laurel up in the mountains. They grow bigger up there in the wild than the average shrubbery variety. I've seen thickets 20 or 30 feet tall, with tangled trunks inside some of which are as thick as a man's body. The magnolias here remind me somewhat of them, but not exactly. There is a place on Clinch Mountain where the laurels grow so thick and tall in the crevices of a rock maze that it looks on the surface like rhododendron shrubs growing among flat rocks. Step off one of those rocks, though, and it's a LONG way down!

Personally, I don't mind the warm, not even a little bit.

Okay, I'll work it up....one Q...can Cecilia communicate with the Starwolf independently?

I would think so. There ought to be a common frequency where general communications can be established between disparate parties before taking the conversation to a different freq. Think "CB Channel 19".

edit on 2012/5/16 by nenothtu because: You know the drill by now.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Replying to myself to place a link in this post back to the picture, with additional notes on it.

I was in a rush, because it takes so long for the pictures to crank out under these conditions, so I only put ONE tree in the picture. I set it to rotate each copy a random amount, so that they don't all look the same, and varied the heights from 75 percent to 125 percent of the original tree, to further make them all "different", then told it to randomly place around 2 and a half million varied copies of that tree at random in a 4000 meter by 4000 meter square, averaging 10 meters between trees.

The "tree" itself is not a true tree, it's a version of a giant club moss that went extinct on Earth just under 300 million years ago, which I imported into a 3D program and "tweaked" a bit before sending it off on it's mission. The scientific name of it is "Lepidodendron Sp.", probably a Lepidodenron Aculeatum. Modern relatives only grow around 8" tall, and look like miniature forests on the forest floors up in the mountains. It is the remains of these trees of long ago that created the vast coal fields in the Appalachians, in the UK, and in mainland Europe. At the time, those areas were all connected together.

The trees actually have pith in the center rather than wood, and are held upright by a VERY thick bark (probably a foot and a half or two feet thick on a 6 foot diameter tree). It's actually more of a "stem" than it is a "trunk". This also gives fortuitous implications for constructing canoes and the like from them - just cut them down, scoop out the pith, and seal off the ends. No burning or scraping required, as would be the case with a dugout canoe. Some varieties, such as some of the tree ferns, oozed a sticky sap out which could be used for sealing seams and such, to make a structure weather-proof, like pine pitch. Some amber has been found from the Carboniferous, which originated as that sticky sap.

I have several other "trees" and giant ferns and whatnot from that time period I can add in, but the setup for that will likely take a while. As it stands, one should be able to see ruins between the trees from directly over head in some spots, since the crowns are not close enough together to mesh one into the next and completely cover the area. The picture of the Uktena on the surface has all of them placed in it, for a ground level view of the variety. Unfortunately, my directory structure has changed since then, so the setup file for that picture no longer functions, because it can't find all the files any more, so in order to re-do it, I have to start from scratch. I've made a couple of the models myself, to change the trees to more align with recent views of what they really looked like, but none of those are as yet in any of the pictures. They look a lot like green, scaly telephone poles, with long leaves resembling pampas grass hanging from the surface of the pole. They look, in short, like green, hairy, scaly, telephone poles.

The "fogginess" or haze in the atmosphere was my attempt to illustrate the humidity and thickness of the atmosphere. It wouldn't always look like that, since that is in the aftermath of a storm. The long render time overhead is a result of that thick atmo, since the computer has to calculate the haze at every point of the picture, and adjust the color to account for it. I never figured out how to change the surfaces of the buildings to a grayish or greenish to convey the passage of time and ruined nature of them. It seems that I will have to re-work the model itself to get that done, so I posted them black.

The fog also serves to obscure the "blackness" of the buildings somewhat, and the back edge of the forest, giving the impression that it goes on forever.

BIAD also made a great view of the Starwolf flying over a jungle that ought to be included somewhere, if he wants to. It looks like he took one of the views I posted of the Starwolf with a transparent background and pasted it into an actual photo of a jungle from the Amazon or maybe Central America, and added exhaust fumes from the engines. The overall effect and angle matching he accomplished gives a spectacular result. that is a GOOD thing - it's why I posted the pictures with transparent backgrounds to begin with, and I've not got the technical ability to match it up correctly and add the nuances like he did.

The main difference between his picture and mine is the inclusion of the Starwolf, the absence of the city, and the humidity haze in the atmosphere - and of course the difference in the "trees", which turned out to not be all that big of a difference, appearance-wise. Some times, the more things change, the more they look the same!

edit on 2012/5/16 by nenothtu because: Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

...looks like he took one of the views I posted of the Starwolf with a transparent background
and pasted it into an actual photo of a jungle from the Amazon or maybe Central America,
and added exhaust fumes from the engines

It flew over my over-ran garden on Monday morning... that's the pic I took from BIAD's
resting-roost!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

I thought that perhaps you had aimed a satellite at MY house, and the TV aerial somehow came out looking like the Starwolf - the angle or something!

BTW, I like the Elvira version of your avatar!

Also, BTW, I LIVE in a set of ruins in a forest, oddly enough. The forest is in a city, and there is the foundation of an older dwelling sticking up out of the ground in my back yard! This is the oldest section of the city, the originally settled area. I recently dug up a 12 foot section of an ancient Iron pipe, because one end of it was sticking up from the ground inside that foundation and threatening the health and well-being of my numerous hounds.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Thank you... the horror-honey was always a favourite with me
and BIAD.

So what and who will we find on your planet? swamps laden with Uktenas
slithering into camp?
Gibbering hermits that rub gravel in their hair and mutter spells?
A nubile-young wench who needs rescuing from the dangerous flora of the
forest?
A 7-11 with a toothy baseball-capped lad with earphones blasting grundge
waiting behind the counter?

Or a predator of the woods that hunts... and decides to become mangeur d'homme.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Thank you... the horror-honey was always a favourite with me
and BIAD.

Me too. I used to watch it religiously before it stopped being aired here a couple of months ago.

So what and who will we find on your planet? swamps laden with Uktenas
slithering into camp?

Well, yeah, there's that...
I recently found a model for a FLYING Uktena, which I hope to incorporate into the story somehow. It's a long, snake-like thingy with big bat-like wings, but the head is different from the ground and swamp dwelling variety, so it's obviously a different species...

And of course for such monstrosities to live at all, there would necessarily be a plethora of smaller life forms for them to live on...

Gibbering hermits that rub gravel in their hair and mutter spells?

I don't know about sentient humanoids - they would necessarily be imports from other star systems, and interlopers to boot. Blasted squatters!

A nubile-young wench who needs rescuing from the dangerous flora of the
forest?

I believe Silo has given us a ready supply of those, on board Yydryl, who might somehow find their way to the surface and into trouble....

A 7-11 with a toothy baseball-capped lad with earphones blasting grundge
waiting behind the counter?

Oh no! he'd be MUMMIFIED! With moss and lichens growing on the mummy!

Or a predator of the woods that hunts... and decides to become mangeur d'homme.

Plenty of variety in THOSE! When I said this planet would EAT you, I wasn't necessarily being metaphorical!

To verify my claims of living on ruins, I present a recent satellite photo of my house:

Mine is the second from the bottom. If you look closely behind it, you can see the forward edge of the older foundation just in front of the trees - the rest of the ruins are beneath the canopy. If you look across the street, you will see a white car with a light bar on it sitting and watching the house. That is a police car that sits there nearly all the time, just watching. If he's not in that entry, he's sitting over near where the truck is sitting in this photo. If I were a paranoid sort, that near constant presence and surveillance might give me pause...
this photo was taken just over a month and a half ago, on 28 March. The big tree in front of the house will one day soon either crush the house or block the road. Which depends on the direction the wind is blowing when it comes down...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Regarding the photo... you could have at least waved as they passed over!

The flying-serpent possibility is a good one, I see an image with this 'thing'
attacking the flying StarWolf.

Time to visit Photshop again!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Regarding the photo... you could have at least waved as they passed over!

The rat bastards didn't notify me they were taking satellite photos that day, or I'd have put on a new dress and waited for the flyover on my door stoop!

This is the most satellite-photographed place I've ever lived. They are constantly doing flyovers and snapping photos. As you can see from that one, they are using the GOOD optical china too - the light bar on that cop car is only about 8 or 10 inches from front to back, and it shows up clearly. That's substantially sub-meter resolution right there!

The flying-serpent possibility is a good one, I see an image with this 'thing'
attacking the flying StarWolf.

Time to visit Photshop again!

That was sort of my idea as well. I can rig out another of those images of it with the transparent background if I know the approximate orientation you have in mind for it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

That was sort of my idea as well. I can rig out another of those images of it with the
transparent background if I know the approximate orientation you have in mind for it.

That would be great... ideally a shot from below -if possible.

That's the same view that I want of The Yydryl and I've been mucking-about
trying to make it happen.
But nothing yet.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Here's one I thrashed out while you were making that reply. Daz runs a lot faster than Terragen, when it's running right at all:

There is a human figure in this for a size comparison, but I think you can probably crop that out OK.

How "below"? Straight underneath? I've got it up right now, and can make it happen. I can also adjust the pose, if that one doesn't work. The critter itself is called a "Snake Dragon" for purposes of locating the Daz model.

The Yydryl will take a bit longer - I have to find the model, and may have to convert it for DAZ so that I can get the transparent background.

I already have the Starwolf imported into Daz., if you need other angles on it.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here are a couple more, both on the ground.

A Snake-Dragon getting ready to eat our hapless and oblivious hero:

A Snake-Dragon and an Uketna facing off - as top predators, they are natural nemeses:

Note that the Uktena is colored to be camouflages on the ground, in swamps and forests, while the Snake Dragon is colored for the sky. It's most obvious in their underbellies and teeth, but the Uktena has a greenish tinge on it's upper surface as well, to hide in the greenish swamp waters... like an anaconda on earth...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Off-and-running with it!
The winged-one... hardly a handsome creature, nuh?!!!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The winged-one... hardly a handsome creature, nuh?!!!

His mother would doubtless be very cross to hear you say that of her offspring - I would only mention it in hushed whispers!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

It reminds me of a cross between The Jabberwhocky and
a local favourite -The Lambton Worm.
Lambton Worm Source.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yeah that's it! Ruined city and all!

I made a few more, with the Snaketena having a go at the Starwolf. It overtaxed my poor beleaguered machine again, crashing my web browser because it ate so much of the memory. Daz itself did not exactly crash, but neither was it behaving in a strictly manly fashion.

after a reboot to make it forget the recent abuse, it manged to thrash out a couple of images...

The Lambton Worm story reminds me of an old mountain song - "The Preacher and the Bear"

"The preacher went a-hunting,

Twas on a Sunday morn.

Well of course it was agin his religion,

But he took his gun along.

He killed a grouse,

And a great big grizzly hare,

And on his way back home

He ran into a great big grizzly bear!

Oh Lord, thou delivered Daniel from the Lion's Den,

Also Jonah, from the belly of the whale, and then -

Three Hebrew children from a fiery furnace,

As the Good Book do declare,

Now Lord, if ye can't help me

For goodness' sakes don't help that bear!"

Ah, the evils of hunting and fishing on Sundays!

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 344  345  346    348  349  350 >>

join