It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Last try before I start praying to father nature!
[imgr]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1f9e33049436.jpg[img]

Erg!!! Not working, taking my writers enthusiasm and shredding it! I need to be working on my next post or it is not going to make sense! This is a drag...

[edit on 27-3-2009 by antar]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Last try before I start praying to father nature!
[imgr]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1f9e33049436.jpg[img]

You eliminated the last slash.

Quote me and compare:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well guys maybe I wont be able to play with yall after all. I am not very good a technical stuff on ATS like quoting and the badge thing. As far as being Navigation, I just dont know anything about stuff like that so I dont see how I could write it to be interesting.

So I leave it to you, I had some fun ideas to share.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

You can still play as a visiting character, right?

As far as the badge, just quote my text and copy and paste the link with the tags.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Noooo Cindymars! I liked your addition! Personally, I liked you in the diplomacy role - do what fits your character but, I'd really hate to see you leave. And if coming up with the background of your character all at once is overwhelming and you'd like a bit of mystery like me, just add bits and pieces as we move along. No need for full disclosure, that's what makes for a good read. =)

Perhaps you could use, as loam suggested, the visiting character tag until we get you fully on the ship and in position. I don't think it has to be all ironed out right now.

And, I'm not exactly tech skilled either (notice how I RAN from the idea of having to do engineering) but, I will help you as much as I can with quoting and tagging ect. It's been a process for me but, it's really simple once you get use to the layout.

[edit on 3/27/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
As I said (#6) people may believe that different ATS writers are writing the role for one character in the story.

Now I know what you are going to say, if they read the thread it would become apparent what had occurred. However, why not just let the readers read the thread and all would become apparent. Thus eliminating the need for badges. The badges add to confusion, particularly for the writers here.

I suggest that we do not implement this into the story thread until all of us have been informed.

Originally posted by loam
I don't think it is such a problem to share badges under these current circumstance, though it would be ideal to commit to one of the preassigned roles.

It would be ideal to commit to one of the roles is boxing people in. I oppose this idea but will submit if it is approved by everyone else later.

I heavily suggest that this not be introduced further into the actual Story thread, until ALL member has been informed. I do not want this to unduly confuse fellow writers.

I don't think badges should necessarily restrict the story arc of individual characters.

As I have been sitting here three people have stated things that make me believe that character development, and even participation, IS being affected by badges.

Originally posted by Whisper67
Eeep, my opinion on this is....I'd rather share then give myself the tag of "engineering" I don't mind the operations so much but, not sure my character has the background needed for engineering. Am I just focusing on the engineering part of that badge? Whisper can handle plenty of responsibility...just not in the area of engineering.

Originally posted by Scurvy
If the captain deems it necessary that Scurvy handle the engineering side I shall, would this mean I'm in charge of Weapons Systems, Ship Defense, and Engineering and Operations? Or will some of those responsibilities be burdened upon others or do I just keep doing what I'm doing and use a different badge?

Originally posted by cindymars
Well guys maybe I wont be able to play with yall after all. I am not very good a technical stuff on ATS like quoting and the badge thing. As far as being Navigation, I just dont know anything about stuff like that so I dont see how I could write it to be interesting.

So I leave it to you, I had some fun ideas to share.

As I can only assume what you are feeling please feel free to correct my interpretation of your posts

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Studious]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Please stay cindy! As suggested we could pick you up and you can be a visiting wisewoman for a period something antar could benifit from greatly as could the rest of the Yydryl!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I agree. The badges are not meant to discourage participation...just to organize it.

I think the Yddryl needs a bar tender!!!!! Write your butt on board and get us a round of drinks!

antar is buying.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

LOL you got it I could use some libations about now!
And if nothing else cindy you already stated you could stay as long as you wanted or even pop in and out from time to time...

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

Hey studious, you missed quoting me...

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Studious

All I'm trying to do is help.

For the reasons already expressed, I favor the badges.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

All I'm trying to do is help.

For the reasons already expressed, I favor the badges.

I realize that and I apologize if I have sounded offensive. I am merely stating my serious concerns about these badges.

I want all members here to have an opportunity to discuss this idea. I do not want the members here to make a unilateral decision for the ones that are not here. That is why I suggest that we do not use this in the Story thread yet, at least until we have all been informed and have had a chance to speak on it.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I agree. The badges are not meant to discourage participation...just to organize it.

I think the Yddryl needs a bar tender!!!!! Write your butt on board and get us a round of drinks!

antar is buying.

To Captian Loam: You studly guy!

Hello did you read my earlier post? Like communicating with my lil ship.
Maybe telling me why you blew up a moon before pulling me in. LOL

My character thought of just blinking out of there for safety reasons. LOL

[edit on 27-3-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Studious
I could as always be wrong. I therefore ask Whisper, Scurvy, Cindymars am I?

I'm not here to define if anyone is wrong or not. The quotes you used in your arguement are those of us just trying to get it hammered out. I'm not confused.

Multiple use of tags is not confusing. If you've ever watched any Sci-fi you'll notice there are multiple personel sharing a particular area of expertise- a 'department'. If you need some examples I can provide them.

It's not as if they are sharing the same ATS name. The color variations on the tags between the various teams is going to add greatly to the story as we merge togeather.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by loam

LOL you got it I could use some libations about now!
And if nothing else cindy you already stated you could stay as long as you wanted or even pop in and out from time to time...

Oh she can pop in and out alright. LOL

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I believe you misunderstood why I asked if I was incorrect.

I am not saying I am right and anyone else is wrong.

Rather I was only asking if my interpretation of your post was accurate.

Because of the possibility for misunderstanding I have edited my previous post, and apologize for any confusion I have caused.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Studious

I suggest that we do not use this in the Story thread yet, at least until we have all been informed and have had a chance to speak on it.

I with you on this. I'm waiting until we've got some consensus on the badge idea. For myself, it's better than using NATURE.

The crew of the Penelope already have their function imbedded into their avatars and that should suffice. The whole idea is to make it easily identifyable who is posting and what their position on board is.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I've added the link to the rules post in my signature for easy retrieval.

Concerning the tags, another approach would be for those members who can't live with a generic badge, to provide me with a specific one that I would produce for you.

I'd like to limit that offer to exiting participants only, so I'm not stuck making these things for the life of the thread. If for any reason current participants leave who have unique badges, then we retire them.

Incidentally, another reason for the badge positions I selected is because I thought it would be a good advertisement to new members on the needed roles for any starship to function, while limiting it to the twelve appointed positions masqua envisioned.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I really dont know how I can tell a story or have a conversation with another character with one post a day?

I will just wait on all of you to work it out.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Loam's idea on Posting limits is a very good one.

He states that if the posts are less than 150 words of new text (I assume that means non-quoted text) that multiple posts can be made in one day. Thus dialogue is still possible.

Posting Limits:

• Team Members may only post once every 12 hours.

• Visiting Members may only post once every 24 hours.

• Otherwise members may post more frequently, if such posts are 150 words or less of new text.

• Nature and Captains may post at any length and with any frequency.

• No member may post twice in succession without an intervening post made by another member.

• [edit on 27-3-2009 by Studious]

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join