It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 328
<< 325  326  327    329  330  331 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
"I dunno. I just read all the way back through page 68, (I'd missed some of the details...) to make sure I knew what was going on....Ben had the Caliburn after Sslar grabbed it from Fiona...
if anyone catches me screwing things up, let me know. It was neno, silo and BIAD who were descending with Sslar, right? I made up the part about Muckles and Tibbs and Carpet and Chumley having followed them without permission....
but I thought everyone was there, right?
"

Apparently, I was wrong on many counts.
I have asked masqua to delete my last two posts.

Sorry for misinterpreting. I don't write my posts ahead of time, I write them like a stream of consciousness.
I'm very embarrassed now, and apologize for my audacity. I thought we just wanted to get out of there...and didn't know that silo was shot.

I read through the 20-odd posts from page 68 and into page 69 to make sure I knew. Guess I was mistaken.

Sorry folks.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Don't worry about it, WT... remember this is the internet,
It ain't real!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Yeah, no worries, I'll let you guys figure it out....
do whatever with Dag and Adam...I trust I've portrayed their personalities adequately enough for any of you to speak for them....but then, they weren't my 'inventions' to begin with, merely my assignment.

Nothing I wrote was critical to what you guys have put up, and I'm glad you arrived at the cave....
time for Dag and Adam to allow themselves to be rescued.

I LOVE your pic of Sslar on Death. Brilliant!

ETA: She did come back with the sword....although the posts describing the sequence of events can be back-engineered....maybe they're all still down there, and Ben handed off the sword to Sslar to take to Neno?

edit on 30-3-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yes... I dropped a line in explaining it!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

But! But! But! What's posted on the storyline stays on the storyline (forgive my quasi plagiarism Mr. King)!

Why not just put them back and we'll carry on?

I've already started to write around them - one of the fun parts of the story when things get twisted. It's not like we've not had these 'oops' moments before!

No worry... Like BIAD says - it's just the internet.

EDIT TO ADD - Ok, what's done is done and BIAD has posted so I guess we'll just move on?...?...?
edit on 30-3-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oops! I just tossed a post in, too! I don't think it mucked anything up - It's mostly just nenothtu's personal musings, and him heading off towards the tumblers (into the sunset?
), so it probably didn't throw any wrenches in your works.

Now, regarding the concept of "home", what's neno gonna do when he gets back and gets his discharge papers from Penelope, too?

Poor guy - adrift in the big bad universe, because Death done cursed him!

BTW - your "edits" around wildtime's posts ought not to have to change in their absence, should they? Depending on what the edits were, you might have to add some explanatory stuff to cover what's gone now - or maybe not. It ought to be all good either way.

edit on 2012/3/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Up to you guys.
I have them saved in word.

I didn't mean to interfere, and clearly I don't understand Silo as well as I thought I did.
I'm considering having Adam and Dag sneak out unseen....and then ambushed and killed. Will that work? Maybe I could have Brittle continue with us? It could be pretty dramatic....
if ya want to play it that way.

I've already lost Adam's brogue, anyway. I changed him from what he was to now being kind of a cowardly, insecure guy. Which, perhaps, was never the intended characterization to begin with.

Can someone please critique what else I've screwed up?

When silo went splash, the first thought in my mind was "Oh noez! If she gets completely wet, she'll die!" My insupportable depiction of her was drawn from her (percieved by me) growth as a character who has defied Ship, and undergone some life-changing circumstances....

Again, I apologize, guys. Way out of bounds....I was surprised she was going into the cave to begin with, and then the rest of them were there too.....
My bad, any way you look at it.

I can c/p the posts here for communal re-working if you want. Or not. I didn't spend any more time on them than it took to type them out.

:shame:

EDIT:
I'm going to post them here, for use or edit room floor....either way. Gimme a minute.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
.............~~Playing Catch Up~~............

The darkness of the cave returned, along with the quiet.

"What happened to the lights?" Adam rasped in as low a voice he could to no one in particular. The echo indicated he was crouching as close to the ground behind the ledge as he could be.

"Shh!" snarked Dag. (As per usual, he couldn't see her roll her eyes. So much for being my hero, she thought. "Sslar? Kitty?" she called the big cat. Sslar purred and began to move closer to her. "Can you get us outta here, girl?"

The enormous feline rubbed her soft head up against Dag's hair. "Okay, good girl," she said. Then she spoke to Adam. "Take my hand, here, Adam, we'll follow her. Ben?" Her voice rose a bit.

"Here," he answered. "I've got the crone, too." Gert could be heard gasping as he seized her upper arm none too gently. "Cat! C'mon, then...."

The sound of the party's movement through the water was minimal -- more like something being pulled through water than like steps or splashes.....Sslar kept up the purring as an audio-guide and (presumably) to minimize any understandable terror the U-mans might be feeling. The group of five, Super-Cat in the lead, were a few steps away from the bend where Chumley and Silo, Carpet and Muckles waited, listening, when the lights came up again.

"Heh heh," cackled Muckles. "Fixed yer wagon, 'eh, then, Witchy? Betcher not used ta dealin' with yer peers. Nice try, though. But we're a team not to be reckoned with. I'm hunchin' that yer somehow a .... what did they used ta call it?"

"Double agent," Tibbs replied, as the rescued party joined Team Yydryl. "And now we've got her captive. Let's get outta this hell gate. I've no doubt neno and BIAD can handle the wrap-up, and they'll be wanting to skee daddle as soon as possible."

Ben, Adam, and Dag stood with their mouths open, however. Adam rubbed his eyes repeatedly. "What the Hades...? What in Jenovah's name is going on here? Are you three seeing this? Am I the only one with doubl---" he broke off for a moment. "No .... quadruple vision going on here?"

"Nah, I see 'em, too," said Ben.

"Yeah," Dag answered. "But Sslar isn't worried about it, and she's the closest to nenothtu's aniimal side. If she's cool with it, so am I."

"Well, then, who are these guys?" Adam said louder and pointed at the neno-suits. "They all look like neno, of course she's going to trust them!"

Then one of them laughed, and it was with a feminine lilt. In a soothing voice she said, "Adam, it's us. Silo. Chumley, and Carpet. We're in disguise. The valid neno has gone deeper into the network. So has BIAD, now c'mon, let's get outta here."

"Yes, ma'am," said Adam. There was no disputing it was her voice, and her manner. And she was still the Yydryl's CO, and not to be questioned. His expression, however, remained dubious.

"Chums," she said, "you bring up the rear. Carpet, with Chumley. Sslar, c'mon girl." And Silo moved abreast to Dag on the other side of the giant cat. Dag had her own version of mistrust on her face, but did not protest.

"It's really me, Dag," said Silo. "And you know we females are more intuitive. I'll explain later."

"'Kay," said Dag.

"Ben," Silo added, "you take the...crone....she got a name?"

"Gert," said Dag.

Silo continued "...Gert, there... up front, and I don't care if it's as a guide or a hostage, but she sure is not going to escape back into that cave. Whatever is top-side is gonna see her emerging first.Maybe she's on our side, maybe not, but--"

"Not, if'n ya ask me," grumbled Ben.

"Okay, then, she's not...she's also a stranger, and the newest participant here, unknown to any of us, so she goes first. Desperate times require not coddling the new guy."

"Glad you agree," said Ben, "And after all, she's the hostess with the mostess....it's her shindig, ya know."

Ben dragged the crone up toward the front of the group.

Tibbs uttered, "Oh bother. Oh dear," and he kept repeating to himself.

"I know, I know, me love," said Muckles. "We'll just have to deal with it-- them-- when we get there. But at least we got two of us 'witches' here. As long as Gert stays on our side."

She looked over at Gert, whose "acceleration" and "direction" were being controlled by Ben's tight grasp on her arm and just then passing the Gray Canyon Witch and her small man. The ancient Vandalian sneered at her, and Muckles stuck her tongue out in response, and added a flourish of her arms in a pouncing gesture and thrust her head forward suddenly. Though she had no chest to speak of to puff out, her threat was clear. She'd like to be pulling Gert's hair and clawing at her face, and doing it "now."

Hence, the party of ten, all but one being the nearly-reunited crew of the Yydryl, minus nenothtu and BIAD, slogged their way out of the water and into the passage that led back to Gert's hut. The tension was as would be expected by a group in such a circumstance, in the process of escaping a confined firefight with deities of vast power.

They continued in some silence, each reflecting on the recent events in his or her own particular idiom.

Chumley spoke up next. "What means 'mostess-hostess'?"

Ben chuckled. "It means the lady throwin' the party is purdy darn good at it. But we'll see."

Indeed, they were not "out of the woods" on Vandalia yet. Nor was the party anywhere near "over.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The group, with Gert in the lead, followed very closely by the pointy end of the Caliburn extended from Ben's free hand, made their way up toward the trapdoor. Sslar's continued purring helped to focus everyone, and the further they got from the cave, the more they gelled back into the calm, lucid working Team that they had become.

Silo spoke over her shoulder to Muckles and Tibbs. "By the way, you two, I don't recall Neno giving you permission to join the rescue party." Her voice rose, "Carpet and Chumley, you two as well....did you all take it upon yourselves to come down? You could've all been slaughtered, you know that?!"

Her voice was taking on that 'tone', the same one she had used with Yydryl just a while ago when she'd insisted Pip remain with Toby on board Mut. "I shoulda known. I shoulda known you would come tagging along." The frustration in her voice was enough to heighten the tension that Sslar was working to contain.

The enormous green cat, still walking between Dag and Silo, emitted a low growl, softly enough that only Dag and Silo could hear it, but the warning was all that was needed in combination with her ears flattening.

Dag's slender fingers stroked the cat's head. "Silo," she said, "We're all alive. There's not much point in citing hierarchy and orders of command now."

Silo knew her best good friend was right, and took a deep breath. "Yeah, well," she muttered to Dag, "they could've been killed. And besides, now who's up there to make sure Pip is okay?"

"We will all be 'up there' in very short order. We need to simply plan for what happens next, not gainsay what's been done. There'll be time for that once we're back home, we can have meetings and things to establish a system of command, as well as delineate when it's acceptable to make independent decisions and in what circumstances that is called for."

Ahead, a bright flood-light effect seeped into the passageway, with raggedy-edged shadows framing it.

Topside, Cecilia shifted her weight while making certain the jagged entrance was still illuminated. "Cecilia," said Ship, "they will be emerging in a few seconds. I want that witch immediately placed in your hold. Move closer, and extend your pincer in preparation to seize her at once."

Cecilia snaked her limb into the hut just as Gert's footfalls could be heard on the rungs of the ladder below the trapdoor. As soon as the old woman's head appeared, the machine's pincers clamped around her neck like a metal collar in a dungeon of old, and whisked the immortal witch out of the hut before she had time to look around her homeplace.

Behind her, Ben was startled by the sudden grab.
"Whoa Nelly!" he cried out. "What the--- Who's up there? Dammit I'm tarred o' this." And without hesitating, he thrust his own head up into the hut. It was completely dark now.

Silo, behind Ben, said "What happened to the light?"

"How in hell should I know?" he snarled. "Y'all was the last ones up here, missy!" He now stood on the ladder, head above ground, disembodied, swiveling to see any clues as to what had happened since he and Dag had entered the tunnels. Below the door, his 'decapitated' body was still. Then he felt the Caliburn being grasped and he ducked to see who was daring to take it.

"What the---ouch!" his cheek scraped against the splinters of a broken plank. "Who's---!"

Sslar's jaw had clamped once more around the blade, and her eyes met Ben's. Her tail twitched as they narrowed. She was standing on the tunnel floor, her front claws wrapped around the rung just below his feet. "Aiight, sister, aiight," he said, and loosened his grip on the hilt.

Once the sword was released, Sslar gingerly returned to all fours, turned, and watched as the U-Mans and the rest of the bunch ascended. When Skinny and Squibs reached the ladder, Skinny lifted Squibs and handed him up to Ben, who was crouching at the top to grab the can-shaped droid. Chumley and Carpet were the tail end of the parade, and the group were all standing in the small room when Cecilia's floodlight came back on.

Blinded for a moment, they all squinted (except Skinny and Squibs). Below them, Sslar had raced back down the tunnel after ensuring that everyone was above. Now she bounded for the Gunman, the Caliburn once more to be delivered unto his hands.

Outside, Gert could be seen in the cockpit of Cecilia, screaming in silence as she raged against the machine.

Brittle had watched her being extracted from the scene, captured firmly and shut within the shuttle's impermeable hull. He smiled at that, but when Dag and Adam came out of the hut, his smile faded.

There was still a reckoning to be made, and he had no doubt that its time was now.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just put them back and we'll work around them. Straight forward that, less confusion and we'll all get on however we get on, out, etc, whatever. That's the challenge.

peace
edit on 30-3-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Just put them back and we'll work around them. Straight forward that, less confusion and we'll all get on however we get on, out, etc, whatever. That's the challenge.
peace

At your service, m'lady.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Fiddlin' around in Daz lately. Working up a character for Margo. Here's a preliminary of her and neno:

Here's an earlier version of just Margo. She's wearing two dresses, since that big gap in the long outer skirt didn't leave near enough to the imagination:

Still trying to find the old characters I did for BIAD and Silo, but so far no joy. I found parts of Silo, but the wrong parts - just the head, which I was going to have to re-do anyhow, so I'll probably have to re-do both of them altogether.

No luck finding the "Cloud" character for Dag, either. So that's another that will have to be done from scratch. Robots, I got. Tumblers, not so much. Desert, I can make - but we're fixin' to leave there. any how.

Any general ideas what's up next?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Here's a link to cloud...'cloud strife'
www.google.com... l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0.frgbld.

ok, I did a preview, and don't know what the 10101010101010 thing is.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Wow - Margo is hot! Neno and she make a great pair!
Nice work!
You're really getting the hang of that program huh!

Wildtimes You have another link? That one didn't want to work for me.
If it's working for you it might be the problem I'm having with anything google related in firefox.

Happy Weekend All!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Wow - Margo is hot! Neno and she make a great pair!
Nice work!
You're really getting the hang of that program huh!

I'm trying to get the hang of it. At least I can put clothes on them now - if I can find the right clothes! I've got Muckles all worked out, and no poncho to be found to dress her in. Version 4 of Daz doesn't seem to have the fine control that version 3 has, so Margo turned out with mutant boobs that I can't manage to get shrunk down. To be fair, the original human she's modeled after is said to have mutant boobs, too, but not that bad. Still a work in progress.

Still needs some tweaking in the face, too.

If I have enough time to work at it, and a reasonably stationary model, I can get the faces fairly close now. For example, my 4 year old grand daughter saw this picture and said "That's you! Is that your house?" which is odd, since she STAYS at my house for a week at a time every other week, and knows that it's brick, not wood!

Wildtimes You have another link? That one didn't want to work for me.
If it's working for you it might be the problem I'm having with anything google related in firefox.

It works for me. It's an image page with a wall of Cloud Strife images. I've been using my free time for the past couple hours trying to find a 3D model of Cloud that I can use as a basis for Dag in Daz, but so far all I've gotten was the hair. Probably have to make Dag and re-make BIAD and Silo from scratch. The skin textures for Dag are going to be a pill - she's "pale", nearly porcelain, I'll have to start with another texture, and tinker with colors, which I suck at.

Happy Weekend All!

Right back atcha!

edit on 2012/3/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Nice images... she looks a bit of a handful!

BIAD's only comment on the rendering of Margot was:
"Oh... no high-heels?!"

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hiya,
the link was just a google-images search for cloud strife; it pulls up (for me using Google Chrome) page 1 of the image search results.
Just try "cloud strife" in the images choice of your search engine.

Hope you all are enjoying the magnificent spring weather....(too early for some ecosystemish normal things, but beautiful all the same)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Nice images... she looks a bit of a handful!

BIAD's only comment on the rendering of Margot was:
"Oh... no high-heels?!"

She's wearing heels in the picture with neno - I picked red ones, though BIAD might appreciate the color choice!

The other one, well, heels would just do too much damage to the recipient of that kick!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I gotta wonder - will neno get that cabin door slammed shut before Margo can dive through it?

Anybody placing any bets?

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It sounds more like she slammed your be-hind and that sorta-service you
don't get with FedEx!

new topics

top topics

<< 325  326  327    329  330  331 >>

join