It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 327
<< 324  325  326    328  329  330 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
For many reasons I'm not 'going back to the USA'... SO! That means I can stick around here and find out just what happened to Silo when she took that 'hit' - (much like her alter ego did in 'real life' I might add!)

If I don't hear more from 'Silo' when I get up in the morning I'll post something.

HUGS AROUND ALL!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Are BIAD and neno in the same place now, or are they going off into separate tunnels chasing separate quarry? If the Deities are going for a divide and conquer strategy with a pull-apart ambush, it might be best to stick together.

"But Sslar isn't worried about it, and she's the closest to nenothtu's aniimal side. If she's cool with it, so am I."

neno has an "animal side"? Who'd'a thunk it?

And she was still the Yydryl's CO, and not to be questioned.

NOOOOOO! Someone needs to set Adam straight on that line of thought - Yydryl has a habit of eating her young in the form of making Captains disappear - I dunno how many we lost before making Yydryl her own boss. Some were Captain for less than a day before going POOF! and disappearing. Might as well dress her up in a red shirt and send her off on a Star Trek away mission!

I've been thinking lately of neno getting a "package" whenever he gets back to the "modern" world. Since communications are likely distributed electronically in the Space Age, the package has to be some sort of physical artifact requiring a physical delivery rather than electronic distribution, and will have been chasing him around the UEF since his "enlistment", arriving at any particular post only after he had left there, and so hadn't caught up with him yet.

To that end, The package will contain a "claim plaque" (similar to the lead plates the French buried in the Ohio Valley a couple of centuries ago staking their claim to the New World) for a claim that he never knew he'd made... to an entire unclaimed, uncolonized, un-humanly-inhabited planet. The claim filed by a certain captain of a certain rescue ship on neno's behalf, stating as proof of claim his "homesteading" of Khalamzadar for a period of 7 years, unchallenged by either native sentients (all extinct now, and for the past few thousand years, only ruins of cities left) or any UEF Citizens.

It's always been my philosophy that one should have a place of his own to go to in the event he ever finds himself with nowhere else to be. I've always said that "I've got someplace to go in case I ever have nowhere to go."

Also, I think it's about time he gets his Space opera equivalent of a DD-214, his Discharge papers from the UEF Fleet. The last rank conferred on him by the Fleet was "Lieutenant Commander" by Cpt. Luder, so that's what he'll retire from the Fleet as. There aren't enough writers left around to run the Penelope, and we've embarked on a new adventure, so it's time for a separation from that service, and a potential entry into a new one...

... but always with a "place to go if he's ever got no place to go."

edit on 2012/3/27 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Are BIAD and neno in the same place now, or are they going off into separate tunnels chasing separate quarry? If the Deities are going for a divide and conquer strategy with a pull-apart ambush, it might be best to stick together.

My impression is they are in separate tunnels....
but I may be wrong.....

Sslar is awesome, btw!! (just like our hero)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

That was my impression, too, that they were in the same place, but neno took off after Death and BIAD slipped over a drain lip going after Pandora. I've lost track of the other "bad guys", who seem to have only thoughts of getting away at this point.

If they get separated, that gives the fleeing bad guys the chance to regroup and flank them, concentrating superior force on them one at a time, and a good time may not be had by all!

Sslar might want to haul ass back into the tunnels as soon as she delivers her charges to the entrance to the surface, to even those odds a bit.

She should bring the Caliburn with her. It's never been noticed before, since there has always been light whenever neno grasped it, but in the total darkness it will be seen that the blade glows with a blue light when he grasps the hilt. Why, I don't know yet, but it just does. Must be some reason for that...

edit on 2012/3/27 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

My impression is they are in separate tunnels....

Yeah... they're in two seperate tunnels or run-offs, Neno and Death are gonna
have one-more 'chat' and this should fill-in some of the gaps about this whole
immortal stuff.
BIAD is going to be... no, I'm not saying it! It's a surprise!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

MUY exciting, guys...we're on a roll here!

Yeah, in my zeal to wrap up some loose ends, I totally forgot about the Caliburn. I was just so excited that Brittle and the Raven Mocker/amulet were still there....

we can do whatever we want with the Caliburn.....it ain't been menchunned recently......
I vaguely remember it being haggled over outside the hut....

or not??

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

This sounds wicked exciting. I like the idea of having 'someplace to go when there's no place to go'... I hope you consider taking Pip with you - he'll want to 'colonize' and nothing like having a 'bro' there to do it with.

Looking forward to getting back into writing - probably tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Not really as a colony, but more as a hideout, and possibly a base of operations. Can you imagine having a whole planet that tries to eat intruders as a hideout?

I have a patch of land that I have owned since I was 5 and 10 years old - bought the first half for a dollar, and the adjoining half for 600 dollars. It has two houses fallen into disrepair, and an old crumbling log barn. It's the only place around there that was never timbered completely out, and so is mostly virgin forest. There is an old orchard and an old garden spot, but everything else is original forest. Over the last 50 or 60 years, the garden and the orchard have grown to closely resemble the rest, and there are giant trees now where my dad used to plow with a horse. The place is absolutely eat up with deer, bear, turkeys, "medicine wolves" and even a panther was reported nearby. it has multiple nasties as well, as in things like a copperhead den.

It ain't much, but it's somewhere to go if I ever have nowhere to go.

Neno would probably have to go back to place the claim plaque, but there's no reason he should have to homestead there... unless he ever has nowhere to go, and needs a hideout. I never got into the details here of Khalamzadar, really, but over time it has become a fully "developed" planet - not in the sense of having a technological civilization, but in the sense of having multiple details of what IS there developed. For example, there are ancient ruins that I never much mentioned.

All of the environmental parameters (temperatures, atmospheric composition, size, mass, maps of the surface, distance from the "sun", position in the real galaxy [yes, it's around an actual star, selected for it's life-bearing potential] flora, fauna, biomes, entire solar system [minus moons - I'm still working on them] etc.) are pretty developed, and still undergoing development.

One of these days, I may make a PDF about it, complete with illustrations and maps. I have no idea why - I've never used it in any writing project other than this one, even though it's been under development since around 1975.

The Uktena pictures in the jungle, which I can't get to in order to post now since I'm blocked from accessing my old pictures, are from the development of Khalamzadar. The "You are here" map is also from that development. Both are posted previously in this thread, but good luck finding them. Technically the planet is named "Khalamzadar IV", and the star itself is Khalamzadar proper - star number 84862 in the Hipparcos catalog. What I have developed of the planetary system so far can be viewed in Celestia - if you have the files. I've not released them on the internet yet due to the lack of moons, but I have them locally, and can make pictures of them from orbit in that program. Surface pictures are done in Terragen 2. The jungle biome (most of the planet) is fairly well complete, and the desert biomes have some truly alien -looking plants in them, as opposed to the "coal swamp" terrestrial look of the jungles.

Either the jungle or the desert will without a doubt eat the unwary. It's a "wild place" since the civilization that left the ruins died. Not a place for the faint-hearted to colonize, but then what place worth it is ever easy?

edit on 2012/3/28 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, Neno's alone and facing down four guns and BIAD is facing something
more lethal!

BIAD is now sat with the ramains of Cotton Candy in his hair and giggling at
what I just wrote!
(Poor soul has never kissed anyone before!)

Edit:
This place, this planet...? will it have a Hair Salon?
(BIAD asked)
edit on 28-3-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

It undoubtedly has a hair salon - assuming the vanished inhabitants had hair - but one would likely have to do his own work. I presume the chemicals and emollients will still be around, in sealed bottles, and very well aged!

"B-I-A-D sittin' in a tree,

K-I-S-S-I-N-G... "

Now Death offered neno a way to shirk the responsibility following his own decisions? That don't sound like neno's cup o' tea. You makes your decisions, you makes your bed, and then you lies down in it to check it for comfort... and neno has spent quite a few nights sleeping on the ground, sometimes only under a blanket of leaves. Comfort seems alien to him.

Nope, there are no "do overs". progress only has one direction - straight ahead. Going backwards is "regression".

Plus, it's never wise to look back - you just never know what might be gaining on you!

ETa: Since BIAD asked Pandora if she was leading him to Hell (and it appears she was taking him WORSE places!
) here is a Terragen animation, complete with an eerie sound track, that fits the occasion:

edit on 2012/3/28 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I think that holding the most beautiful Being in the Universe maybe
a trip to heaven.. not Hell!!

Although, the rendering does have it's merits for a Limey... warm, no rain.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Maybe,,, but there's the aftermath to consider - if Pandora doesn't kill BIAD, Death is gonna beat him ass!

Is BIAD certain that Pandora isn't hugging him just to find a soft spot on him back to plunge the knife in to?

That's usually the sort of women I fall for, so I may be just a bit jaded on the issue...

===============================================================

I've mostly completed a data sheet on the Khalamzadar System. It's 32 PDF pages long, with data tables for the entire system, and tables for each planet separately with more details as to the physical parameters, a view of each from orbit, and a map of the surface (or cloud tops in the case of the gas giants) for each one. I'm right now writing up the "land office claim form" information as the first page. No cover page as yet.

Much to my chagrin, I've discovered that the surface I have on neno's planet in the orbital view is not the same surface as is in the map, so I reckon it will have to be considered "provisional" until I get that sorted out. ---> Sorted out and fixed.

Surely there is a writer of "hard" science fiction out there that could make use of an entire planetary system built from the ground up - it's been 37 years in the making!

edit on 2012/3/29 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Okay, I've got the team above ground now, and Sslar on her way back to neno with the Caliburn.

Cecilia has taken Gert as a POW, and Brittle sees Dag and Adam and is reminded of BIAD's warning to him. He still doesn't know that Gert's story was all a lie.....
so, we can have him be told it, or not....

Will the faux-nenos shed their illusory packaging now?

I dunno. I just read all the way back through page 68, (I'd missed some of the details...) to make sure I knew what was going on....Ben had the Caliburn after Sslar grabbed it from Fiona...
if anyone catches me screwing things up, let me know. It was neno, silo and BIAD who were descending with Sslar, right? I made up the part about Muckles and Tibbs and Carpet and Chumley having followed them without permission....
but I thought everyone was there, right?

So, who knows what's happened while it was just the Tumblers and Brittle (and the droids, Pip, Toby, the critters, of course)....

The Raven Mocker will be mighty pissed, though, about his amulet being used for the spell, won't he?

Any ideas?

edit on 29-3-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

The Raven Mocker will be mighty pissed, though, about his amulet being used for the spell, won't he?

Oh NOES! You DINT just use that word in juxtaposition with the Raven Mocker and his amulet, considering the methodology of the "magic bullets" spell and Muckles' part in it, did you?

We're demigods. We care nary a whit what deities we piss off. We're not big enough to kill 'em, and we're not little enough to be scared of 'em, and we're pretty doggone irreverent to boot.

We're like the teenagers of the spiritual realm!

I think we should wrap up the Underworld - slap 'em around a bit, then run like hell for the Tumblers and the Yydryl while they're disoriented!

Neno seems pissed at the bunch facing him, and my GAWDS they're tryin' to SHOOT him! That would ruin anyone's day! He's likely going to do something like charge them and damage 'em as much as possible (since he can't kill 'em) then skitter away for the surface - or to find BIAD and then the surface.

Alternatively, if Sslar puts that sword in his hand, and the gods arrayed against him see that blade glowing, who can say what will happen? Will they break and run, knowing they've lost for the moment, or will it energize them further to try to TAKE THAT SWORD?

Only the Shadow knows... and there are LOTS of shadows in caverns!

===================================================

ETA as I read along...

Silo is like the Allmother - a mother hen clucking to beat the band because all of her little chickies jumped into the weeds and near got themselves killed. She seems to be morphing into the Mother of All rather than the mother of just neno, adopting charges as she goes along and comes into her own.

There'll be time for that once we're back home, we can have meetings and things to establish a system of command, as well as delineate when it's acceptable to make independent decisions and in what circumstances that is called for.

neno votes against himself in the chain of command. he's just not "officer material". He gives orders without thinking when the heat is on only because he knows what has kept him breathing before. If it comes to non-military situations - work schedules, latrine cleanings, science stuff, etc, he's out of his depth. He may voice an opinion or offer advice but he won't issue orders.

edit on 2012/3/29 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Oh NOES! You DINT just use that word in juxtaposition with the Raven Mocker and his amulet, considering the methodology of the "magic bullets" spell and Muckles' part in it, did you?

LOL!! Yep, I guess I did!!

Demigods it is, then.....

Yeah, I tried to set it up for the great escape....
we can leave Brittle behind, or we can drag him along....
in either case, there's the possibility for one final show-down regarding his transgressions with Guin vis-a-vis Arthur.
Or, we can let it die with this excursion on Vandalia.

I'm excited to see what Silo does with the animals in the center...
and how she and Carpet resolve things....

I can conjure up all sorts of 'what if's about Dag and Adam and Brittle....all up for grabs as merrily we roll along...!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Silo is like the Allmother - a mother hen clucking to beat the band because all of her little chickies jumped into the weeds and near got themselves killed. She seems to be morphing into the Mother of All rather than the mother of just neno, adopting charges as she goes along and comes into her own.

There'll be time for that once we're back home, we can have meetings and things to establish a system of command, as well as delineate when it's acceptable to make independent decisions and in what circumstances that is called for.

neno votes against himself in the chain of command. he's just not "officer material". He gives orders without thinking when the heat is on only because he knows what has kept him breathing before. If it comes to non-military situations - work schedules, latrine cleanings, science stuff, etc, he's out of his depth. He may voice an opinion or offer advice but he won't issue orders.

Right?! I know what you mean....
Dag doesn't want to be in charge either, and well, Adam is....simply an incompetent (nincompoop?) officer. (Gawd love him, but, he's kind of a weeny)....

No issuing orders for Dag, no way. She's content with her station. I think it might be fun, though, to have Gert and Brittle join us on the Yydryl.....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

How did Silo go from getting shot to walking around etc?

Now my post I said I was going to post is completely screwed. LOL! Back to the drawing board.

Edit to Add: Silo must have taken a hit to the head. She's never been so out of character before.

Silo spoke over her shoulder to Muckles and Tibbs. "By the way, you two, I don't recall Neno giving you permission to join the rescue party." Her voice rose, "Carpet and Chumley, you two as well....did you all take it upon yourselves to come down? You could've all been slaughtered, you know that?!"

Ridiculously out of character. One, Neno isn’t in charge of anyone and neither is Silo. Silo never would have said any of this in her wildest nightmares.

Her voice was taking on that 'tone', the same one she had used with Yydryl just a while ago when she'd insisted Pip remain with Toby on board Mut.

Out of place. No one was there but Silo and Ship and Pip. And that tone was a mother protecting her young. Strange stuff.

"We will all be 'up there' in very short order. We need to simply plan for what happens next, not gainsay what's been done. There'll be time for that once we're back home, we can have meetings and things to establish a system of command, as well as delineate when it's acceptable to make independent decisions and in what circumstances that is called for."

You're kidding right?

Topside, Cecilia shifted her weight while making certain the jagged entrance was still illuminated. "Cecilia," said Ship, "they will be emerging in a few seconds. I want that witch immediately placed in your hold. Move closer, and extend your pincer in preparation to seize her at once."

How is Ship there? What am I missing? Ship is only ‘in’ the Tumbler’s? Is there some magic here I’m not privy too?

*Confused*
edit on 30-3-2012 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

How did Silo go from getting shot to walking around etc?

From the Space Opera post:

Then Silo13 cried out and dropped with a splash beside him and at the same time, the
place went quiet and dark.
Two rubber-skinned hands reached out for the grunting girl and dragged her back around
the bend, Chumley's soothing tones were a welcome to Silo's ears.

It didn't actually say she'd been shot, just that she yelled and fell. It could've been those slimy, slippery rocks you find in caves where there's water running over them causing her to fall and NOT get shot. That's what I was hoping for, anyhow. Adam may be a fine doctor, but he's been acting somewhat erratic of late for a medical professional, and I'm not sure I'd want him digging a bullet outta ME.

Her voice was taking on that 'tone', the same one she had used with Yydryl just a while ago when she'd insisted Pip remain with Toby on board Mut.

Out of place. No one was there but Silo and Ship and Pip. And that tone was a mother protecting her young. Strange stuff.

Yeah, the "mother" tone - that's what I'm getting from these most recent posts, too.

Topside, Cecilia shifted her weight while making certain the jagged entrance was still illuminated. "Cecilia," said Ship, "they will be emerging in a few seconds. I want that witch immediately placed in your hold. Move closer, and extend your pincer in preparation to seize her at once."

How is Ship there? What am I missing? Ship is only ‘in’ the Tumbler’s? Is there some magic here I’m not privy too?

*Confused*

I thought ship was in "radio" contact with the Tumblers all along? Maybe it's ME that's missing something...

edit on 2012/3/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I thought ship was in "radio" contact with the Tumblers all along? Maybe it's ME that's missing something...

But they're in a cave, not the Tumblers... If 'Ship' is there through the communicators Chumley and Carpet have it's extraordinary they work in a cave when they didn't work topside...

Then Silo13 cried out and dropped with a splash beside him and at the same time, the

When Silo took the 'hit' I was sure it was a 'shot'. Cried out - then dropped with a splash. Not, dropped with a splash and cried out. Just sayin - I thought she took a ricochet.

If it was a slip and fall then her ego's bruised more than her hind side - how embarrassing! LOL! Good for her though and it does help explain how when she went down it wasn't a bullet.
Thank you.

edit on 30-3-2012 by silo13 because: more info less bandwidth

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

But they're in a cave, not the Tumblers... If 'Ship' is there through the communicators Chumley and Carpet have it's extraordinary they work in a cave when they didn't work topside...

No, when they came out of the trap door, they emerged from the cave into Gert's cabin. But speaking of underground communications, Cap'n Kirk's gizzy worked in subterrenean environment, and our stuff has his stuff beat all hollow!

They do, however, share a failing in common with Kirk's mess - certain problems can interfere with them - such as the trouble had getting through the residual radiation in the Badlands. We need to talk to one of those Orion Alliance engineers about fixin' THAT problem! If the radiation ain't strong enough to melt my eyeballs, my walkie talkie ought to punch right through it!

When Silo took the 'hit' I was sure it was a 'shot'. Cried out - then dropped with a splash. Not, dropped with a splash and cried out. Just sayin - I thought she took a ricochet.

It might be that I work backwards from most folks, and so misinterpreted it. I'm acutely aware of my balance - all the time. I have been, all my life, which is why it never bothered me to run across fallen logs across creeks. As soon as I feel my balance going, you will hear, in this order:

1) "WOOP! DAM-MIT!"

2) * CRASH! BOOM! THUMP-THUMP-THUMPETY-THUMP * (alternatively: * SPLASH! GLUBGLUBGLUB * if it's crossing a creek or river and I hit a slick rock)

3) "OW! Well THAT'S gonna leave a mark!"

edit on 2012/3/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 324  325  326    328  329  330 >>

join