It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 316
<< 313  314  315    317  318  319 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by nenothtu

Hobbs End = Macallisterburg. One is the Human name, one is the Elven name.

What??
How am I just now knowing this?

Probably because it's just now being discovered... er, decided... er, "firmed up".
The way I understood it, Hoobs End had "End" in it because it was sort of the "end" of the (rail) line, and it was an underground town in keeping with the underground nature of the rail line and the elves, fairies, kobolds, or whatever one wants to refer to the denizens as. The entrances to that world were all caves, so there must be a cave mouth somewhere near to Macallisterburg to link the two - the underground and the above ground.

Hobbs End was the town on the train line from the underground city attached to where Dag was in her temple.

A city on the train line... "from" the underground city where the temple was... all that would seem to add up to a different city than the one where the temple is, and in combination with the "End" in the name would seem to indicate a town at the end of the rail line, away from the temple, but I don't think any direction or distance was ever established, only that some of the crew were riding the rails en-route to Hobbs End after having boarded in Temple Town.

Silo was out in the desert scrub getting herself all giggly and swoonish over Gep....
150 miles away. To the west of the Hobbs End station!
No?

No, distance and direction were never established between Silo's location and Hobbs End. There was, however, established a fair amount of travel time between the Olis place and Macallisterburg, which was established during Silo and Pip's journey thence.

*slaps forehead*
I told you I needed a map!!

TWO maps - one above ground, one below, correlated each to the other. Here is the map from way back in the thread of the large-scale area showing the Olis place, Macallisterburg, and the area where neno, Tibbs, Muckles, BIAD, Dag, Adam, etc were at that time. It was made before the foray towards Fairy Stone, so that location isn't on it. When it was made, everyone except Silo had been deposited into a fairly small area, but they all spread out from there. Now there is a 150 mile coverage gap between people, and the map wasn't made to account for that. I can thrash out another one if that becomes necessary, but it will essentially be the same as this one, but extended eastward to the Fairy Stones.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Okay, okay!!
Yeah, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one...erm...confused.

So, Hobbs End is McAllisterburg.......and ......
Sheesh, I need to sleep now....
but thanks for the clarification!

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I am sorry for the confusion... I had it in my head that Hobbs End and
McAllisterburg 'could' be the same place and as long as the tale went on,
then we could whistle past that particular graveyard!

BIAD is wrapping two dozen hugs as I type and looking at shipping
prices... I hope his gift will suffice.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Awww, I'm getttin' to be really fond of that guy!
Give him a smile for me...

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Okay, I managed to break my slump...
new story post involving Dag and Ben. They're headed your all's way now, leaving Brittle to his own fate. Ben has been stabbed by the amulet that summons the Raven Mocker, who arrives, and it is discovered that Dag and Brittle were lied to.

Next I'm seeing the Raven meeting up with Pandora and Death, and some kind of fracass that now their plan is once again spoiled.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Next I'm seeing the Raven meeting up with Pandora and Death, and some kind of fracass that now their plan is once again spoiled.

Naw, their plan ain't spoiled - they just have to drop back and punt, run with plan B or plan C. Last I heard, I think Pandora was fixin' to set her cap for neno and try to play HIM like a fiddle, but what do ya do with a fella that can turn his emotions on and off at will? Can't play on his emotions, and his hormone production seems not to be what it used to since he's an old fart and I keep hearing all about this new disease they just invented on TV called "Low T" or some such tripe that's supposed to make ya all lethargic and ungumptionable since yer hormones are all outta whack - that's what the theory says, anyhow - , so where's that going to leave her?

WHO is gonna play WHOM?

Anyhow, I loved that post - Ben has a way with words. I particularly liked the quip about the "expired crystal ball", and the turn of phrase "What a load of preposterosity." - pure gold!

edit on 2012/2/12 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

hee hee!
Thanks, I was hoping you guys would enjoy those bits as much as I did while writing them!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
One of the collaborators in the Space Opera, mf_luder, is about to publish a book, the first in a series called "The Universal Alliance Chronicles". He's anticipating a publication window of 3-5 months from now for the first volume in the series.

Facebook link - "The Universal Alliance Chronicles"

Author Page - Facebook

It's a "Space Opera" of sorts, but not this one, nor related to this one. Good to see someone from the home team doing well, and I hope it's a smash success.

edit on 2012/2/14 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Go mf_luder... and don't scrimp on the ink!!

Well done and maybe this time-next year we'll be sat on canvas-backed
chairs with our names on them and enjoying the trappings of Hollywood!!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

reply to post by A boy in a dress

Hey!! I am invited by default, right????
That is such AWESOME news for mf_

I didn't realize there were folks besides me on here hoping to be actually published!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

He's been working on this series for aeons. There is supposed to be 4 or 5 volumes in the series, and a couple of separate novels later, still in the sci-fi genre but unconnected to the series. It's my understanding - and my understanding may well be wrong - that he plans to make it "hard" science fiction, with it being as close to reality and plausible extension of reality as possible. For example, I sent him a series of star maps I did when I was studying astrophysics of space as it really lies so that he could get a feel for the distances and directions involved. Some of those maps also appear here in the background thread, which is where he was made aware that I had made them.

Beyond the idea that it is to be hard sci-fi, I don't know much more about it other than what is written at Facebook, but I'm looking forward to the blog starting up so I can find out more.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Some times, I just feel like this:

The most descriptive page on the internet

Another of my old friends, from the same crew, was found deceased Monday morning. The newspaper reports got his history wrong.

And that's how it goes. Once you're gone, no one bothers to fact check any more. He was a morning show radio personality. They skipped over the beginning of his career, and started the history in the middle, reporting THAT as his "beginning". I went to high school with him. I was there at the beginning of his career. We worked at the same radio station, as DJ's. A new station started up in another town, and he went there to be on the ground floor of it. He tried to get me to go, too, but I went a different way. He became famous, and I developed a "farmer's tan" from hanging out in the outdoors more than it is sane to do, in situations that sometimes made little or no sense..

And so it goes.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Grats to Luder huh! That's great news! I hope it goes well for him.

And another one of your mates gone? Neno... That's getting scary.
I'm so sorry. I wanted to ask if his passing was natural but I'm almost afraid to.

If you've not posted in the story line I'm going to try to today. I have that feeling the 'shot' you heard? Might of been Silo sneaking out the back door to finish off those girls. I'm still not sure yet. We'll see. I'm battling pneumonia (have been for a week or more) and sitting here isn't the most comfortable thing I can think of doing. But I"m not complaining at all - damn, at least I'm alive.

peace to you Neno

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

If BIAD ever ends up ruling over a planet, he has told me that
his first command is that you will never suffer from any ailments
again... (he's nodding seriously as I type!)

Get better soon.
Me...? I'm nursing a tooth-abscess!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The newspaper said "after a short illness", so I presume that means natural causes. Since "bad news comes in threes", I'm just sitting around waiting to hear who's next.

I've not posted in the story, but I believe the shot was the shot Pandora took at BIAD just before she went "POOF!" and disappeared. It appears that most of the story line is pointing towards us saddling up and "getting the hell out of Dodge" while the confusion of the fire will cover for us, which presents neno with another problem, but I'll just have to find a way to work that out.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

So that was the shot! Good to know - I'll just rework the post a wee bit and we'll be off!
And don't sit around too long waiting for that third shoe to drop... Don't want the third to be you!

Ok, off to the races and get us outta the compound...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

And don't sit around too long waiting for that third shoe to drop... Don't want the third to be you!

Eh well, if it is, do as you will with the neno character - in that event, I bequeath him to the Space Opera in general, as common property. Sort of like a shiny new NPC. It's coming some day any how, and I've been expecting it for years. I'm not anxious to hasten it, but I ain't gonna run and try to hide from it either.

In all honesty, it's some times more of a shock to realize I'm still alive to hear that someone else isn't.

Ok, off to the races and get us outta the compound...

I'm honestly not sure what to do with it. Margo will have to lead us out, since it's her turf, but beyond that, I'm not sure who's going where. What is Margo's tie to the town? Pip may want to stay behind and garner revenge, but against what or whom? All his targets are gone now, and there's nothing to do in the town but rebuild, and why would either want to do that, given their individual histories with the town?

BIAD and neno ought to be bursting back through the cabin door any second, Tibbs and Muckles are in the vicinity, Dag and ErnieBen will have to be tracked down, as will Sslar who isn't near anyone at the moment, but who is carrying the sword that seems to be integral to the story on down the road.

So if Yydryl has been watching from the sky, does SHE know where the outlying members are? They've all been aboard at one time or another, so Yydryl can be expected to have a record of whatever biological parameters are necessary to scan for their signature, and on the plus side, there ought to be less "nukulur interference" to thwart that scan outside the wastes of the Badlands, and that's where the rest are at the moment - outside the Badlands.

The first order of business, I would think, would be to get out, get to the Tumblers, and get Gep back to his farm for burial, then sort out Pip and Margo, then find the oultlying stragglers, then try to sort out what the gods are up to with their various excursions.

ETA: I've been studying up on what makes the Earth's sky blue, so as to try to get a handle on what alien skies might look like, as well as the Earth's sky in different geological eras. It's surprisingly complex, not what a quick internet search would reveal at all. It involves the ambient color of the light itself (different stars have different spectral response, giving them different colors as seen by the human eye), how much air the light has to punch through and get scattered in and angle of the sun (this is why the horizon appears white at noon, but may redden at sunrise and sunset), the composition of the atmosphere (not as important as one would think at first), the thickness of the atmosphere, suspended particulates and aerosols... good gosh it gets complex, and that's all without getting into the calculus of wavelengths, Rayleigh scattering, Mie Scattering, and angular considerations of the viewer as measured against the sun position!

Some times - maybe most of the time - I tend to bite off more than I can chew, but being stubborn I chew the gob any how. I had hoped to use the information to plug into Terragen and create alien worlds for the Opera, but I may have to just use a fudge factor!

edit on 2012/2/17 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hello, team...
wow, the punches just keep a-comin' eh?

Neno, wow, I'm so sorry to hear that another friend died...

Silo, I wish you a very speedy recovery. Pneumonia is awful; I've survived it twice, and my husband nearly died of it with a complication: empyema...fluid buildup in the lining of the lung, about a year and a half ago.

BIAD, so sorry about your tooth ouchy!!

I just visited my GP the other day and found out I have high blood pressure...
Terrific.
Aging really blows.

ErnieBen and Dag are headed west; the Raven Mocker is pretty pissed right now; the amulet that Ben flung into the ravine had some kind of curse or whatnot intended to kill Brittle, whose whereabouts are now unknown.

Sslar is headed west as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Poor Neno - not only an 'unruly mother' but 5 little 'yeller haired' girls to take care of now too!

I wonder how he's going to explain that one to Margot...er...Margo!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oh no you DINT!

ROFLMAO!

Neno's gonna have to get a real job to feed this burgeoning "family"!

ETA: I've got to wonder, though, just how "little" these "little yaller -haired gals" are.... didn't one of them very recently (although now deceased) try to part neno's hair, and ventilate a perfectly good chapeau?

And, just to be fair, were these young-uns selling women, or was that all Mac and Taggart?

Can they have a Fire Sale now?

What about Alice, Lance, the twins, and the amnesia? Tune in next time for...

edit on 2012/2/17 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 313  314  315    317  318  319 >>

join