It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 313
<< 310  311  312    314  315  316 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Wow, okay...I just went there and made an account in DAZ, ordered all the goodies, and then tried to start downloading, but the download failed.
Their website is reallllly slow at the moment. I might wait til tomorrow to download them all....
had to start over.
Have you ever had probs with it corrupting your computer? My firewall is freaking out about it....(Comodo)...saying the site should not be trusted or allowed to access my computer, due to their "not signing the digital application" or some such nonsense.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yeah, I noticed the site was running slow as molasses in January a bit earlier, but I out it down to my connection here. If you're having the same trouble, they're probably getting slammed. I downloaded a bunch of it (about 2 GB) last night in the wee hours, and it went fairly well, but some of the downloads were huge enough (around 600 MB) that they took nearly an hour even then.

I run Comodo too, and haven't had any problems. I keep my setting different than most , probably. The digital certificate thing is something I've always ignored. If it ain't about to give me open heart surgery, I don't much care what sort of certificates it has. As near as I can tell, the certificate scheme is just something M$ invented so that they could take control of where your computer goes under the guise of "security". Kinda like an electronic Patriot Act. It's part of the "Trusted Computing" mess. When M$ says "trusted computing" they mean for you to think you can trust the computers you connect to, but they REALLY mean M$ can trust your computer not to run stuff M$ doesn't want you to.

Anyhow, the Daz website is legit - it's based in SLC Utah, and has been around forever. I've been using Daz for a few years, and haven't had any problems other than the supreme aggravation of figuring a program out by trial and error, because the documentation is dismal, where it even exists at all.

I've got both Daz 3 and Daz 4 installed. I mostly use Daz 3, because it's more versatile for me at the moment, but every now and then I spend a few hours cussing at the screen with Daz 4 running. The character I did for BIAD was done in Daz 3, but slowly I think they're brings stuff online to where I'll eventually be able to import most of my stuff into Daz 4. This is the first time I've ever had the professional version - the "Advanced" was the highest version I could ever swing before - and I'm sort of eager to try it out, but scared to install it and take a chance on wiping all the stuff I've already got in the process.

What I usually do is set up the character in Daz, then export it in a format that I can use in another program, and do the final renders in Terragen. The only ones I've done in Daz all the way through were the BIAD/Silo pictures on a ship's bridge, and the dragon fight in a cave.

Some things I picked up years ago in dark corners of the internet where angels fear to tread, and I reckon that's why I don't spook over "certificates" too much. The thing to do, if you want the software but are afraid it may be infected, would be to download it, and see if Comodo detects any virii in as it downloads (which mine does if there's one there), and then re-scan it with Comodo again after it's finished, just to be sure. Word to the wise - Comodo won't look into certain types of zip files - rar files come to mind - so those have to be rescanned for virii AFTER they are unzipped to their own folder to be sure.

I've never encountered trouble at Daz, but there are places where the unwary need not go if they're just Google Cruising.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Yeah, thanks...I'll go ahead and tell Comodo to shove it.

I'll try to downloads tomorrow -- I figured if the site was being mobbed (probably) it would be slow.
I haven't looked at your posts yet.
Stupid bar stool sitters.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

This just scares me... I have a sister, well into her 60's now and I assure you
that apart from the missing nose -it's the spitting image of her!
She endured a lot of hardship during her life, she was born at home with a
withered-arm and if it hadn't been for a spoonful of brandy from my Grandpa,
she wouldn't have made it.
When she was just a slip-of-a-gal, she and my other sister of a similar age
-were playing near a bus terminus and being silly by sticking their legs through a
railed fence and then pulling them in as the coach came by.

My 'BIAD-like' sister got her leg stuck and the vehicle went over it, she was lucky
not to lose the leg... in those days, medical care wasn't that great and when the Doctors
had finished, she would have to tip-toe on that damaged limb to stand straight for the
rest of her life.

Mind you... she a tenacious bugger, if one arm was withered and weak, the other made up
for it and many a-time, I was floored by a hammer-like punch!

Built like the Hulk, these problems have never held her back!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

You know what? Many weeks ago I went to look at your intro thread..... it was after I 'met' you here and got used to your work and then got curious about other posts....after you said "he started as a figment of my imagination".....

and I thought, 'wow. quite an intro.'

And all the peeps who took you seriously and talked to you about not being wierded-out ...... and I thought, 'omg, they took him seriously!' And so, I thought I 'got' it.....

now, you post this stuff about your sister....
and I don't know what to say, or to think!!

Too bad you can't change your handle to 'enigma'.....

But, back on topic: When are the Native American deities going to find Adam?

edit on 2-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Very cool posts - and the back story of Margot is pretty interesting stuff. I'm so tempted to throw those sisters in your way now - meeting up with you and Margo.

You up for it or have you got something else in mind?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Go ahead and throw them - I've got nothing in particular in mind. It may be that I've been hanging out with BIAD too much, but I'm just wandering around the garden, trying to catch imaginary butterflies, and looking over my shoulder to make sure my sister isn't sneaking up on me to whomp me!

I have 3 sisters, and even the littlest one will have a go at flattening me out if she gets cross-eyed!

In all reality, most all of Margo's back-story came from a peculiar and narrow interpretation of that video. They just seemed to mesh to me, and it grew from there.

edit on 2012/2/3 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Yeah... the Username is strange one, hence I thought it a grand idea
to use it.
When I first came here, folk perceived each other by their Usernames and
the attached avatar. I thought it would be a 'giggle' to use the name and it
all just kicked-off from there!

In the chat-room, I often get asked if I actually do wear a dress!!

But when the wig-wearing Being turned up at my door and grinned his way
into my home, well... I couldn't leave him out in the cold -could I?
So now like Neno, he wanders the house and garden and sees things we
can only imagine.

BIAD.... the last step before insanity!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Really nice posts, neno!!
Awesome back story.

btw, I hope I didn't butcher Ben's 'vernacular' too badly while using him....

So....now he and Dag are tailing Brittle, and Adam is on his way...where exactly are the Tumblers?
I got the feeling they aren't really near the Fairy Stone Mountain Park, but east of Hobbs End and copperhead road by quite a distance. Correct?

Okay, gotta go watch a program on tv that I've been waiting on....
ttyl, all!!
HUGS

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

btw, I hope I didn't butcher Ben's 'vernacular' too badly while using him....

Naw, you don't. Just ask yourself "WWJES?" (What Would Jack Elam Say?) and that's about right.

So....now he and Dag are tailing Brittle, and Adam is on his way...where exactly are the Tumblers?
I got the feeling they aren't really near the Fairy Stone Mountain Park, but east of Hobbs End and copperhead road by quite a distance. Correct?

I think the tumblers are somewhere nearby to where Silo and company are, which would put them roughly 150 miles west of where Dag and Brittle are.

Tinkered with Daz a little this evening, and came up with a provisional neno that needs work still, Here's and overview:

and a detail:

I'm trying to stay in keeping with the generally established "cowboy theme" for him, but at the same time extrapolating what "cowboy fashion" might look like in the future. All I've done with the face so far is to put a few years on the basic stock face, and I haven't started personalizing it much yet. The pistol is a throwback for tradition's sake - an 1851 Colt Navy revolver. The gun belt needs massive work - I've not even found the texture for it yet, nor sized it to make it actually fit. I plopped the cigar in because that's become an established fixture as well. I've got a couple other, more "futuristic" guns, but haven't settled on which to include yet.

The background ought to be an all over even color, the same shade of white, so that some of you Photoshop wizards can convert it to a transparent alpha channel and put neno onto a background that makes sense if you want to use it for anything.

This was done in Daz 3, because to be honest I've not gotten everything yet to make use of what I do have in Daz 4. It's coming, though...

edit on 2012/2/3 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I added a few 'time-lines' around the character's eyes too...
and some scars to show he's been around the block a few times!
Hope you don't mind?

Er... and a wide-rimmed hat, jeez -I'm sorry Neno, it's just how I see
him!

Here's my piccy!

edit on 4-2-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

I added a few 'time-lines' around the character's eyes too...
and some scars to show he's been around the block a few times!
Hope you don't mind?

Nope, I don't mind at all. I just hadn't got to "personalize" him yet, and that helps.

Er... and a wide-rimmed hat, jeez -I'm sorry Neno, it's just how I see
him!

I've got another hat that I've been tinkering with for him that I can rig to be shaped just about any way a hat can be shaped, but I've not got it set up just right yet. I'm working on it....

In the mean time, here's another. I've downsized this one o fit the page - the original is 2560x1920, the size of a "5 megapixel" photo:

Neno, Sslar (needs work again - this one was from scratch, and I plan on eventually importing the original on to this machine), and the 'droids.

I'm working on getting BIAD and Silo into this computer for a group picture. I've never worked up a model of Dag, and the other two need to be "re-worked" anyhow. You know that BIAD had that "Russian-wrestler" leg problem ( Haff strrronk lek - can puul much plow!), and Silo was never quite what I had in mind anyhow.

I'll probably scrap BIAD's body altogether and work out another one, just saving the same head, and I'll probably scrap Silo's head and work out another one, but keep the same body. I'm not sure yet how to proceed with Dag, but I'm eager to see what the new Genesis figure has to offer there.

Have you got preferences or requests for Dag, wildtimes?

edit on 2012/2/4 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Haff strrronk lek - can puul much plow!

lmao!

I see Dag as a young woman with shoulder-length hair and a slime frame,
I suppose it's up to Wildtimes to choose how it should go.

Silo... (or if you're a certain-Mr. Herschel -.................!) I see has a mild-faced woman
but with a strong spirit. How you can get that to show via DAZ, I have no idea!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This one is Dag....
(a female twin of the 'Cloud' character from Final Fantasy)
This is Silo's version of Dag, which is my desktop wallpaper...it's how silo ( think) and I see her:
and this was Silo's earliest version for an avatar:

So I've kind of stuck with those images in my head. She's about my size -- the same as the sailor-suit gal below, complete with sword and gun -- remember the pics I gave you guys of me in my pirate-clothes? That's Dag, too...
I relate to her character completely as my fantasy 'me'.. (vain much? yeah, I guess. Oh well).

I've not really thought much about her 'wardrobe'...this is one BIAD bought for her, like it a lot...
Or the sailor suit...that Silo borrowed off of this movie character:

Or better yet, the same outfit as Neno has (and btw, he's a HOTTIE! Yowza! LOVE the boots and hat and coat and bod...Sheesh, Dag might have a come-to-neno moment when they DO all get back together!) Neno makes Adam and Brittle both seem like 'stupid boys' (as my daughter refers to her early 20s cohorts)

Frankly, I think Dag is over Adam...
I'm just not feeling the love...plus, he's been such a wuss lately; his self-esteem crisis is really dragging him down, and it would make for some great tension/conflicts in a soap-opera-ish kind of way....like Ross and Rachel...

Adam needs to resolve his issues with Death, and his loss of confidence before he's worthy of Dag. At this point she's about to see through him.
In the current setup I've thought maybe Dag IS Guinevere -- which is why I've allowed for that development in the Arthurian setup. Then again, if she's Morgaine, she would still be Arthur's half sister, and we know that Mordred was their 'offspring'...of that incestuous accident when Arthur was dressed for initiation as the Hunter and brought to her as the High Priestess -- for the great ritual ...

but I'm not sure...it's still possible that they will find out the whole "identities" story is a sham, or when the sword problem is resolved then Death, Pandora, Merlin and Gert will be satisfied and we move on...with the Splitter...of course we will have Death and Pandora always...but Merlin and Gert may be sort of Tall-Towerish types...??

Gert belongs to Neno's imagination. Up to him what we do with her when we leave Vandalia. I just took the witch immortal thing and made her into the current 'Lady of the Lake'...

edit on 4-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I see Dag as a young woman with shoulder-length hair and a slime frame,
I suppose it's up to Wildtimes to choose how it should go.

A SLIME frame!!
??

Wow. Not sure if you mean 'slim' (correct) or 'sublime' (also correct)...but the 'slime' I could live without.
Thanks, though.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Gulp! I meant slim... truly-I did.
I let BIAD type my response in and due to me mentioning that
he looks like he's put a bit of weight on, I'll bet he wrote that word
in with a streak of envy on his mind.

Tut-tut BIAD!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I let BIAD type my response in and due to me mentioning that
he looks like he's put a bit of weight on, I'll bet he wrote that word
in with a streak of envy on his mind.

Welllll.....
Okay.
Muckles and Tibbs are en route to the Silo 'n' Co....
so, what do you guys want for Ben and Dag to do?
Adam is with everyone else now...
leaving only BIAD, Ben and Dag in a position to deal with Brittle.
But we still have to get Adam to Fairy Stone Mountain for the show-down with Brittle. .... or, he can blow it off and we can work with that, and let Brittle go alone..

I'm fine to wait, as long as we can put the Copperhead Road Gang into a 'holding' pattern for a while.
Back to the ship maybe?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

There's plenty of time... Tibbs has a bag of the stuff!
I'd like to see Adam 'do-a-Neno' on Brittle... he owes him it!

Meanwhile, we'll sit on the corner of 5th and 3rd of Hobbs End and sing:
Crew Song...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Ok Neno - got a post just about ready to go up that should heave you and Taggart clear to work out your fate(s) without much interruption at all. I dunno if I'll be able to hold Chumley and Carpet back from getting involved but I'll try.

So I'll get that posted and then heard the others out of the compound and towards the Tumblers. I've a feeling the compound isn't going to be that safe once you and Taggart are face to face again.

Happy Sunday!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Well-well-well... Pandora is about to set out to take our hero's
heart and so emulate Howard Keel and Doris Day's romance in
'Calamity Jane'

The question is... can you quickly come up with a wedding gown
for Pandora and have her placed in the image with our scowl-showing
Nenothtu?!!
It's time to unleash the DAZ again!

edit on 5-2-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 310  311  312    314  315  316 >>

join