It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 312
<< 309  310  311    313  314  315 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

heh heh...
Nawww. ..I don't have a magic line to masqua directly. I'm being monitored for misbehavior...

right, masqua?

Seriously, thanks. Hope you're enjoying the story if you're keeping up with it.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I may be distracted again for a bit. I just got the word that another old friend of mine committed suicide. Called in to work, said they'd have to get someone else to cover his shift, hung up and blew his head off.

It must be my age or something. Lots have fallen along the wayside over the years, and there aren't many of us left.

Stuff happens. I'll get my brain back in gear again soon.

===========================

Note to wildtimes: "monitored for misbehavior"? I TOLD you someone needs a spanking! Did I call it, or what?

edit on 2012/1/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

GOOD GOSH! that's terrible... I can't imagine what pressures would
cause a person to do such a thing... absolutely terrible.
My heart goes out to his family and friends.

I made another 'Mirror-avatar'... but that news has out a bit of a damp
squib on the matter.
edit on 31-1-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Oh no!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that. And I was just in a rather jaunty mood. How awful....
thoughts are with you.

(And yeah, I tried those steel-toed fleece high-heeled slipper socks, and, well.....got a little carried away. My bad)...

to BIAD
I added a fun soundtrack (not much for video, but one of my favorite songs)...also, your post links are still pointing to entries on page 60....what is up with that?
Oh, and the previous mirror scene, imo, was better.
Wow, I've gotten a bit lippy here....
oh well.
HUGS....
if you want to devise a slide show to put into the latest soundtrack entry, have at it....we have 4 hours....!!
edit on 31-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I appreciate the commiseration, but don't let it slow ya down. It's coming for us all some day - his time was just up, the meter ran out, and that was all she wrote. I've been watching them drop for something over 30 years now, and every one that falls just means there are fewer left to fall later. Frankly, I'm amazed I made it this long, and like I said there aren't many left now. I expect I'll be one of the last. Some would consider that a blessing, some a curse, but it just is what it is - everything else is just perceptions, and the way one see things inside his own head.

I don't normally drink, despite my constant harping about "muh BEER!", but when I do, it's generally rum and Coke, or some permutation of that. I quit drinking to get drunk around 16 years ago - well, 18 years ago this past Jan 1, to be precise. As happenstance occurs, there was a drop of neither rum nor Coke in the house this evening, so I drizzled together a blend of whatever I could scrounge, which turned out to be good Kentucky bourbon and Pepsi, to the ruination of both. It tastes vaguely like eucalyptus cough drops, which is disturbing, but will no doubt prevent the exercise from being carried to excess. No worries - that's how I see them all off, with a booster on Decoration Day, and that's where it ends.

Where is BIAD's brother in this avatar? I don't see him peeking out of the mirror!

Since Silo set the stage for me at the cabin, and gave me leave to have my wicked way with the scene, I may get something tossed together to post in the story this evening. I'm not quite sure how neno will react to two more copies of himself yet, but for some reason the word "CLONES!" keeps pushing to the fore of my mind...

ETA: Alrighty then! Here's the disposition of personnel I think we have at the moment: Silo, neno, carpet, Chumley, Adam, assorted local players, and 3 robotic mobile "tumblers" are all in the same vicinity. Dag, ben, and brittle are in another locality, 150 miles or so east of there, and Sslar is en route between those two locations, heading from the second to the first. Tibbs and Muckles are somewhere between the two, and I'm not precisely sure where BIAD is.

Is that about right?

I think the next move ought to run along the lines of clearing camp for the first set of folks, getting them that needs medical help back to Yydryl, and sending a party eastward to locate and assist in whichever quest needs completing there, then consolidating and getting back to whatever new task awaits as a group. The logical collection point is Yydryl, and with the tumblers, transportation shouldn't be a problem any more.

How does that sound?

Sslar can direct the first group to the second, since she knows where both are. How to locate BIAD, Muckles, and Tibbs? Or let them find the rest? Decisions, decisions...

edit on 2012/1/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

ETA: Alrighty then! Here's the disposition of personnel I think we have at the moment: Silo, neno, carpet, Chumley, Adam, assorted local players, and 3 robotic mobile "tumblers" are all in the same vicinity. Dag, ben, and brittle are in another locality, 150 miles or so east of there, and Sslar is en route between those two locations, heading from the second to the first. Tibbs and Muckles are somewhere between the two, and I'm not precisely sure where BIAD is.

Is that about right?

I think the next move ought to run along the lines of clearing camp for the first set of folks, getting them that needs medical help back to Yydryl, and sending a party eastward to locate and assist in whichever quest needs completing there, then consolidating and getting back to whatever new task awaits as a group. The logical collection point is Yydryl, and with the tumblers, transportation shouldn't be a problem any more

Sounds about right, and, well....great! Except that Ship/Yyrdyl has cut them off....

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Cheers mate and I was gonna have Tibbs and his strange-gal land in Hobbs End.
BIAD is just approaching the town, so that's the three together.

With Tabaldak being an androgynous Deity, supposedly among the Abenaki and
Algonquian people, the Spirit will be curious about our red-dressed Man/Girl!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Bravo WT!!
I was tempted to put the Simon/Garfunkel tune to the posting -but it
just slipped my mind at the end of the writing.

BIAD said it's like having a Mother-Hen around... keeping an eye on
things!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Neno seems to have a way with women - erm, females - in his own awkward, halting, backwards sort of way, so maybe he can sweet talk ship with a wink and a "Pretty please! Here's some flowers!"... or maybe she'll soften up after the tumblers stop bickering amongst themselves...

I have to find a way to work this video into the Space Opera:

The lead character here is played by Christina Hendricks, voted the "sexiest woman in the world" in 2010 in a poll of female readers taken by Esquire magazine. that's saying something when a group of women can get their heads together on a vote of that nature! I fell in love with her in her role as "Saffron" in Firefly (what can I say? She played a BAD girl!
) but have to draw the line and state for the record that she is the second sexiest woman in the world, not the first.

Anyhow, the video sort of gives new life to the old expression "that's gonna cost an arm and a leg". Kind of a bummer of an ending, but having been marooned alone on an alien planet once himself, I'm sure neno can identify! Note also her time travel near the end of the video - it's strictly "one way", and accomplished through some sort of stasis or bio-droid shutdown, but the concept is similar - starts in one time, ends in another.

I dunno - maybe some way I can work that story in with Margot's story... or maybe not, but I've got to figure SOME way to work the video in! The lyrics seem to me to be vaguely applicable - they are (as near as I can tell):

She sold her love to a modern man
'Cause solid currency's the hardest to land
All of that money helps you cover your eyes
Don't let the lady finger blow in your heart

Did it all
For that dollar
She's a star tonight
Without warning
She gave up the ghost inside

Just like a whiskey bottle drained on the floor
She got no future, just a lot to endure
This good samaritan shaking her hide
Too late to leave him now the sun's in her cup

Give it up
For that dollar
She's a star tonight
Without warning

You call it chivalry,
never pull a punch for free
You ever wonder why they had to move on ?
This phony honor code
That puts you on your throne
A double standard you invoke when you want

For that dollar
She's a star tonight
Without warning

Was it all for show
Don't turn into one of them
Turn another page,
Trust me darling
I'm carving 'em up through the dust in your town
Crawling over rubble
Just to sort it out
Now I tend to wonder why

edit on 2012/2/1 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Condolences. I can't talk much about suicide as I'm one who was 'left behind' - but I can give you heartfelt condolences and send prayers out to all involved.

As for you sweet talking Ship - that would be all cool. I'd love to hear Neno's 'wheedling' side when it comes to women. It will also be interesting to hear if Gep makes it. I don't think he's going to, he's not made of the sterner fabric that makes up Neno - but - you never know.

As for granting you leave to write that scene, har har, I'm just wanting to hear it from your side, and since you dropped in? Well, you're at the right (or wrong) place at the right time.

Pepsi and bourbon. Gag.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

"Is this normal?" Adam shouted above the screech of straining bio-metal and the roaring of
flames from outside, ...

Oh gawd, man, I just have to let you know...this cracks me up every time I read it....
wow.
I'm gonna have to implant the star system here....
when Dag and Adam and Brittle have their showdown....

The star system...
ahhh, I love it.
And it's not the ATS star system. I was married to a real lame-o a few years ago, who thought he was funny...and my kids and i would so often just look at him with blank faces....
his sense of humor was ....
well..... lame.

I told him I was putting him on a 'star system'.....he got one star for every time I laughed at his (lame) jokes. If I laughed again just thinking about it later, he got another star....

if he got to 30 stars, he would be considered 'funny.'

He never got there.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

but have to draw the line and state for the record that she is the second sexiest woman in the world, not the first.

The first, of course, being me.....(jk)
I like the video!! Yes, def get it in there!!
I'm wondering when BIAD's vid of Elvis is gonna happen......

ETA: Oh, and yeah....Pepsi and bourbon... gag

edit on 1-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

BIAD said it's like having a Mother-Hen around... keeping an eye on
things!!

Oh he does, does he????
I am NOT a hen, thanks very much!!.... but I do know how to peck.

peck

peck

peck, peck

peck

Chickens crack me up, too...such unique personalities!
Years ago, we had a few, over several years....
First were two chicks I brought home from a school experiment....
one pale yellow, the other tan...
We named them Butter and Toast.

Toast was toast fairly soon (got stepped on by a horse), but Butter learned to live in the yard with the cats and dogs....and how to chase them away from her pecking area....she also liked to roam into the kitchen while the door was open.
Then we had a couple of the funny-haired kind....

Margarine and Saskatchewan
(we could tell the difference between Margarine and Butter...we could say Saskatchewan without starting to stutter)

Yeah, they were toast, too (fox got in the hen-house)

Then we had 3 more, which my son named after his grandparents: Hillda, Elaine, and Dave.

Hilda drowned herself in a horse tank that was all of 18 inches deep.
Elaine roosted in the rafters of the Shire mare's stall, and rode on her back...
and Dave learned where our bedroom window was and launched himself at it every morning...(he also attacked anyone getting out of a car in the driveway....)

Dave was slaughtered by a neighbor's dog.
Elaine was later killed by a chicken-hawk.

Chickens are hilarious...

ahhhhww.....I miss them....

edit on 1-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

but have to draw the line and state for the record that she is the second sexiest woman in the world, not the first.

The first, of course, being me.....(jk)

I'm afraid it's against my religion to specify who the FIRST is, but that does tend to leave the field wide open, which is, of course, my intent!
Furthermore, it give Ms. Hendricks a mark to shoot for, a goal to reach towards, and a reason to live - it's a win-win!

Damn shame she'll never read this - but then again, if she did, her husband probably would, too, and then I'd be a marked man until he beat me into a bloody pulp. Yeah, I've seen him, and I know it's a funny idea, but I'll tell ya right now, it's always the guys you'd least expect who will deliver a hurting to ya.

I like the video!! Yes, def get it in there!!
I'm wondering when BIAD's vid of Elvis is gonna happen......

You know, it took a long time, a lot of research into other folks opinions, and several listen-throughs while comparing the song to the lyrics sheets, but I think I finally got the lyrics right, so I posted them with the video. Reading through them, I'm reminded of several women I've known over time, but Margot of the Space Opera seems to fit them very well - at least in my mind - so I'm thinking that the application of the video to the Space Opera is going to involve her in some form.

In reality, and on another level, it applies nearly as well to neno. Both of them, in a basic sense, are prostitutes. The only real difference is which body parts or abilities they peddled. I reckon that's why mercenaries are known in certain circles as "the whores of war".

"The Ghost Inside" is of course the soul. that's the ghost that lives in us all. Once you give that up, you're done for. Whether it's given up for money or a "higher purpose" or whatever else, when it's gone, it's gone. That aspect is what initially made me think of it for the Space Opera, and the sci-fi accompanying video was just icing on the cake, as was the "one-way time travel" at the end, ending up in the ruins on a deserted planet.

That looks like the Badlands in my mind's eye, where Margot ended up... or IS that where her journey ends?...

ETA: Oh, and yeah....Pepsi and bourbon... gag

Yeah, but it keeps me young, and insures there are rails on the wagon so I don't fall off!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've got another post typed up, but I'm waiting to post it until I have the sequel typed as well, which I'm working on at the moment. I'm having to back track and give myself a history lesson in order to integrate the video, Margo, and Margot, and keep it straight between which is Margot and which is Margo. I've already had to go back through the post I've already got typed up and swap the two out, since my head ain't quite right.

I ought to have it ready to post in a couple of hours.

"Some times, there's more to life than just livin' ".

ETA: during my research review for these upcoming posts, I've discovered that this isn't the first time I've had trouble keeping "Margo" and "Margot" straight. In my last two posts, here and here, I seem to have swapped the names out interchangeably. I don't know whether to try to fix that, or just leave it like it is and chalk it up to neno's obvious confusion in the matter which is about to get cleared up - sort of. What say ye, All?

edit on 2012/2/1 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

...that this isn't the first time I've had trouble keeping "Margo" and "Margot" straight...

Like a 'Neno-Neo'?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Yeah, JUST like that!

Posts are up. Now to finish off Taggart and get the hell out of Dodge! I'm looking for "cowboy duds" for neno in DAZ to try to crank out a couple of Opera illustrations, but I'm not holding out much hope. Clothes, DAZ, and me is a volatile mixture that seldom turns out as planned.

If I manage to git 'er done, I'm planning to export the figures as 3d models, which I can them import into Terragen and combine with a couple of other things like buildings and landscaping to make a scene, BUT, like I said, I'm not holding out much hope - it's just an ambition to shoot for!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Mein Gott!

In looking for cowboy duds for neno, I accidentally stumbled across the deal of the century at DAZ. Right now, until the 29th of this month, the PROFESSIONAL versions of DAZ Studio 4, Bryce 7, and Hexagon 2.5 are free for the downloading from DAZ. I know not what's gotten into them, but if you want these things, better grab them before those guys sober up and realize what they've done. The Pro version of DAZ sells for $430.00, Bryce 7 $250.00, and Hexagon $150.00, so that's $830.00 worth of software for free at the moment.

Link

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

How cool is that! Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - I'll get right on it and take them up on their offer - even if I don't use right away.

In the mean time - I've not been to the story line - but - I was wondering what Neno would do with those 7 sisters if they get a hold of him before he connects up with his two 'twins' and the 'group'...

Just wonderin...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

How cool is that! Thank you SO MUCH for posting this - I'll get right on it and take them up on their offer - even if I don't use right away.

I forgot to mention that there is something called a "3D Bridge" available with it that allows data to be swapped back and forth transparently between Photoshop and Daz, which may be of interest to you Photoshop folks. I downloaded it, too, just in case - and since it's free at the moment - but I'm not holding out much hope that it will allow me any PS wizardry. The Photoshoppers amongst us may, however, find it of some interest, since they actually know how to use PS. I think Daz Studio 4 needs CS4 or higher to work right, but it's my understanding that some of the "bridges" work for other software swaps, too, like Blender (another package I can't make heads or tails of, and lord knows I've tried!).

If you download anything, make sure you remember to snag the serial numbers, which are dropped on to a separate page on your account by Daz. Those serial numbers determine which version of the software becomes active after you've installed it, and are registered to you, which is what authorizes you to have and use the Pro versions of the software.

If Deson is still around anywhere, he may be interested to know that Bryce 7 Pro is free for the grabbing, too.

ETA: 50 more free products - stuff to use in Daz, models, tutorials and things like that - can be found here. It may be of use in the learning curve. I recommend snagging the "Content Creator Toolkit" (NOT the upgrade version!) found here. The CCT is supposed to be useful in making customized models for Daz from the stuff you already have - warping it to suit yourself, and things like that.

In the mean time - I've not been to the story line - but - I was wondering what Neno would do with those 7 sisters if they get a hold of him before he connects up with his two 'twins' and the 'group'...

Just wonderin...

He's already ran into the Twins, but just asking what the Evil Pleiades (they are known as "the Seven Sisters", too) interactions might amount to made my blood run cold.... BTW, is it 6 or 7 of the evil lassies? As an insight, perhaps, to how it might go, Frank Carpenter always told little Freddy that "If a woman wuz man enough to jump you, she's man enough to take an ass whoopin' too. Same fer kids - if they're big enough to deliver a beatin', they're big enough to take one, too. Chivalry is fer suckers when it comes to just accepting a smackdown."

Not pretty, but it's effective.

edit on 2012/2/2 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 309  310  311    313  314  315 >>

join