It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 296
<< 293  294  295    297  298  299 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Yeah... that's him alright!
The tall-drink-of-water in the dark coat may double-as
Neno's one-time employer -Death!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Ahem, nenothtu and Boy in a Dress...would you care to share with the rest of the class what is in that note you just passed between yourselves?
*taps toe on floor with arms crossed*

No? Okay then, back to Vandalia Studies.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

*BIAD and Neno sat quietly at their desks and displayed semi-innocent
faces. When Miss Wildtimes turns back to the blackboard, the two raga-muffins
giggle behind dirt-smudged hands*

It was a video... a clip of the series that Neno enjoys.
Now... was it the one with the three Ra-Ra girls and a filled-bath of custard?
... or was it a clip with Cullen Bohannon doing-the-do?

Which one?

edit on 12-12-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm telling you right now I'm going to work this into the thread...
I just have not figured out who is who yet.

Added Note:

Before I forget what I forgot? Silo/Maggie and Pip did happen to leave their backpacks under that rock... One a those backpacks has the Green Man in it...

Just sayin...

Now here it's not hard to figure out who Chumley is and who Skinny and... Well, you get it...

Ahhh hahahahah!

..just sayin...
edit on 12-12-2011 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Yeah... that's him alright!
The tall-drink-of-water in the dark coat may double-as
Neno's one-time employer -Death!!

You know, I forgot to mention it in the e-mail, but Swede HAS always put me in mind of Death, ever since his first appearance. I meant to drop that into the e-mail, but neglected to, so it's significant that you picked up on the same thing.

His discussion of Andersonville with Bohannon in the first or second episode cements the identification.

They call him "Swede", but as he said in his introduction "Dey calla me de 'Swede', butta I yam Norwee-gian."

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Ahem, nenothtu and Boy in a Dress...would you care to share with the rest of the class what is in that note you just passed between yourselves?
*taps toe on floor with arms crossed*

No? Okay then, back to Vandalia Studies.

A video clip from "Hell on Wheels". I need an e-mail address to send it to if you want it - it's a clip from the end of last night's show, demonstrating an EXTREME similarity between one of the characters and neno. it's just under 7 MB. U2U is the way to go to distribute e-mail addresses.

edit on 2011/12/12 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

It was a video... a clip of the series that Neno enjoys.
Now... was it the one with the three Ra-Ra girls and a filled-bath of custard?
... or was it a clip with Cullen Bohannon doing-the-do?

Which one?

Custard is so messy. Jello. that's the ticket... yeah, lime jello!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yeah, after you told me about "Hell on Wheels" I tuned in last week. Interesting. I think I was watching it last night, too, but after I fell over the fireplace screen and banged up my knee I sorta don't remember much more. Dammit that hurt!

It is an interesting show -- some cast they got goin' on there, too!

Okay, I have posted finally -- Adam is on his way to the banks of the Lake, following the Styx ferryman....and I spent a good hour looking for what BIAD calls that guy -- eventually went with Charon, but I'm fairly certain BIAD uses a name beginning with "K". Let me know so I can edit it.....!! Hope Adam's brogue is okay -- it's hard for me to write accents...I can speak it all day long, but writing it is somethiing else.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Silo, NICE ONES!! LOL Those guys crack me up.

You reminded me of one I want to work in there, too ---- might as well be at the same place as Buttercup! And it's not hard to see Chumley here, either...

After he gets doused with wine you can stop it...it's just an ad after that...
edit on 12-12-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yeah, after you told me about "Hell on Wheels" I tuned in last week. Interesting. I think I was watching it last night, too, but after I fell over the fireplace screen and banged up my knee I sorta don't remember much more. Dammit that hurt!

You know what they say about drinking and driving? Same goes for watching TV and walking around...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
You know what they say about drinking and driving? Same goes for watching TV and walking around...

Yeah, add in drinking and in the dark, and you got the picture.
edit on 12-12-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

...eventually went with Charon, but I'm fairly certain BIAD uses a name beginning with "K"...

It can go with either a 'K' or a 'C'... abit like Candy bought at the seaside or
Kandy, the blonde-dyed woman with the basque who once grabbed at... I shouldn't have
typed that... I should not have typed that.

(cough nervously)... anyway, you can spell it either way.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

There was once a time when all you had to do was to wrap tin-foil around the
antenna for a better reception... these days, TV companies ask far more, tut-tut.

This modern-day stuff, it's all beyond BIAD and me.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I loved the Charon episode. The "Or what? You're gonna rip out my throat?" reminded me of another friend I had, now deceased. He was in a jail of sorts, and the Keepers wanted him to do a specific thing. He told 'em to go to hell, he'd do as he pleased, and they said "you'll do what we say, or..." upon which he cut them off and said "or what? whacha gonna do? Put me in jail? Take away my birthday? Just what the hell ya gonna do? whatever it is, have at it, and let's see whose left standing at the end."

Defiance. That's the name of the game. When they've taken all you have, what's left to take? How can they then control ya?

Damn shame that he got killed. Someone knocked on his door one dark night and scattered his head with a shotgun when he answered. I don't think they ever found out who did it for sure, but I believe it had something to do with a labor strike that was going on at the time.

I bet he gave Charon a hard time, too.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Thanks!
I wasn't all that thrilled with it...but needed to move it along.

I think next Adam's going to be on his own at the lakeshore for a while...not sure what will happen to him then, but he's going to "see" Dag and Brittle together, and he is not going to be happy about it. Might have some fun with bog bodies again....I'll have to review my "Fenmen" files...they've gotten dusty since I finished the novel I was writing...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Thanks!
I wasn't all that thrilled with it...but needed to move it along.

I think next Adam's going to be on his own at the lakeshore for a while...not sure what will happen to him then, but he's going to "see" Dag and Brittle together, and he is not going to be happy about it. Might have some fun with bog bodies again....I'll have to review my "Fenmen" files...they've gotten dusty since I finished the novel I was writing...

I'm unfamiliar with some of those terms. I know not what a "fen" is, nor a "moor", so I have no concept to base a visual on. Bogs I know. I can recall walking on bogs and seeing the ground wave beneath me as I walked. It was springy, spongy, bouncy, and moved as waves when the peat I walked over rode the waves of the water underneath it in response to the weight of my steps.

Why, I coulda BEEN one of those bog bodies! The peat was probably 3 feet thick, and I was young without a care, so I did what young folks do - explored without a worry! Looking back, I reckon I'm pretty glad I never hit a thin spot!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Fens are bogs/marshes. It's just what they call 'em in the northeast part of England...moors are, to my best understanding, rather like the Flint Hills. But our resident British expert should be able to help us learn, then together we shall Deny Ignorance!! Back in the 17th century, much of the east coast of Essex and Yorkshire were bogs. The Fenmen were the residents there, who were looked at as strange and superstitions were rampant about them.

When the King decided to "drain" the fens, they revolted...interesting reading. I learned a lot...but as I said, I need to review my files and the work I did on it -- it's been a couple of years since I delved into all that.

But that is a whole 'nuther story, as we say here in the Heartland.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

You're nigh-on correct about the Fens, except the area is the Eastern
-side of England... really it's Norfolk and Lincolnshire that's known for
it's Fens.

The land is really flat and due to being on the coast, the sea water used to
(and still does to some extent)... soak into the land and create these stretches
of marshes and bogs.

Farmers and 'Fenmen' used to cut long trenches to drain the water away and therefore,
could utilise the fertile ground.
Think of London and then travel 'one o'clock-North' and you'd be in the Fens.

I know that recent excavations have reveal that the folk-of-yore used to offer payment
to the dangerous marshes by tossing swords and other weapons into the boggy pools.

The coastline drops down into an area known as 'The Wash' and erosion is quite a concern
there. Soil has been known to show up in The Thames Barrier, a large contraption that controls
the ever-rising water levels in London's famous river.

Fenlands...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

That sounds a lot like the area out in eastern Virginia where I lived for a while, not far from Jamestown. None of the land is elevated more than about 3 meters above sea level, and most quite a bit lower than that, so that the Chesapeake frequently invades the land. There is an area near Hampton called "Poquoson" from the Algonkian word for "swamp", which is "pocosin". It's a miasmatic expanse of swamp, marsh, and bog that breed mosquitos by the billions. So marshy even the ever-present pine trees won't grow in it, and brackish to a fault.

In September, you can even find millions of jellyfish in those marshes, brought in by invading tides.

Jamestowne Island is more of the same, but further upriver, so it's less brackish, but still brackish. Low, swampy, and wooded. has the smallest deer I've ever seen on it. They're about the size of a house dog. All the coasts around there are similar. Low, with tidal flats covered in coarse grass so that you can't find the swamps until you fall into them, huge stands of pine inland from the marshes. It's that way on both sides of the James and York rivers.

So what is a "moor" - and I don't mean the kind that El Cid drove out of Spain. I'm not familiar with the "Flint Hills", either - I reckon I've just led a sheltered life!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

...So what is a "moor"...?

Now that's Yorkshire! Moors in England and Scotland are often heather-covered expanses
of land, short of tree-cover and usually with dry-stone walls dotted here-and-there.
Aot of the moors are made up of soil that is laid down on a rockbed, flinty -useless soil
that farmers usually use to graze sheep and goats on.

Whitby Moors Site...
edit on 13-12-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 293  294  295    297  298  299 >>

join