It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 287
<< 284  285  286    288  289  290 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Taking your suggestion?
On the Index thread - where I posted 'Page 59, post 6?
I made the 'post 6' a LINK to the Story Line.

Like this:

Writer = Silo
Page = 59
Post Number = 6
New NPC =
New Term =
Pic included?
Quick chapter outline = Silo finally speaks to Pip after two days of 'recovery'. Pip's eyes are full of longing.

edit on 23-11-2011 by silo13 because:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Can you fwd to me the syntax used to do that?
I've figured out embedding text and pics, but not how to rename links...
thanks.
Pip's a little sweetie, huh?? I like Gep, too.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Can you fwd to me the syntax used to do that?
I've figured out embedding text and pics, but not how to rename links...
thanks.
Pip's a little sweetie, huh?? I like Gep, too.

If you want to see 'how it's done' hit 'quote' on the post where I 'did it' and you'll see the code. (It's also a great way to get picture codes, etc)

In the mean time there's a writer named Loam who used to be a part of the old story. He worked up a FANTASTIC page for ATS coding...I've kept it in my 'bookmarks' for years.

Here ya go: A Guide to BBCode on ATS

Happy T-Day! Hugs to you and yours!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

I dunno if you'll be around today, but, I've got a question.

Do we know a 'time frame' for the new story line? Circa what?

I'll be vague about the time until we all decide 'when' but I hope we can tie that up soon.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You, too!!!
I'll be here for a bit...then have to manufacture my contribution to the meal and go to my Mom's...
Holidays? Meh. I really am not that into the contrived bit of it all...
and the expense...

but, that's another post....

As for the embedding code --- *slaps forehead* --- shows how tired I was at the time. DOY, I knew looking at your post would show me the code...
in fact, that's how I learned the other codes for pics, vids, etc...
but last night I just sat here
and couldn't for the life of me remember why I thought I should look at your post in 'quote' mode.

I was under the impression we are either post-apocalypse in the future, or we are going back to the days of log cabins and steam engines....and ancient american native tribes...with elves.
sort of a Mad-Max-with-a-few-Ancient-Aliens about type thing strikes me as the era....
but, I really don't know what the time frame is yet...

And where ARE Silo and her care providers? The southwest? Mexico? Texas?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

And where ARE Silo and her care providers? The southwest? Mexico? Texas?

I've no idea yet! They haven't told me.

That and I need to find out from you all before 'placing' Silo.
I like the idea of post-Apocalypse but willing to go back in time too.

Happy Thanksgiving 'Wild'.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Love it-Love it-Love it!!!

It's nice when I can wrap my typing finger around rich-deep plum-words!!!

Cheers for the embedding-thingy!

From Limey-Land... Happy Thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
When we are, I would think, may be "dystopian", but probably not "post apocalyptic", since we just saved the universe and prevented the apocalypse - on Earth, any how, It probably ought to be in the "now" or the near future according to story time, to underscore that victory, and bring closure to "The Space Opera: Episode One".

From when WE sit, now, in the real world, it would be a dystopian future - around 2322. "Dystopian" for some,that is. I could see me not minding breaking sticks and starting fires, but that ain't for everyone.

We happen to have all landed in rural areas, where life can be hard, harsh, or just simpler, depeding on how one prefers to see his circumstances. That doesn't mean there aren't roaring cities. For example, there's Gammage Interstellar Spaceport in old Florida - where Cape Kennedy is now. Ports almost ALWAYS develop thriving cities around them, with all the ease and hardship cities entail.

For the characters in Vandalia, there is a smaller, regional spaceport around 20 or 30 miles away, on the other side of the long mountain ridge to the south, to the right of "Beartown Mountain" in the photos. That's why we can't see it yet - there's a mountain blocking the view. On the side of the mountain we're on, there's just mostly wilderness - think "Amazon", but without giant snakes... or so you THINK, any how... The nearest fairly large city is roughly 250 miles east - whatever Richmond, VA is called those days. Bristol, VA/TN is a little over 30 miles south. There are 3 "gaps" in the mountain going eastward.

"Dystopian" or "apocalyptic" is a relative thing. There are people right now living in what we would see as those sorts of conditions, but which they view as simply the way life is. I don't foresee human nature changing all that much in the intervening 300 or so years. Technology changes, but people are pretty much always the same, and always have been. Technology, whether high or low, is just the means they use to interface with the world around them.

What happens when a race advances to the point where they can leave technology behind? Would an allegedly advanced, but technological race even recognize the advanced nature of the non-technological advanced race? Who is more advanced, the guys with all the geegaws, or the guys living a balanced life?

Advance comes from within, technology from without... any way you want to define "without", whether as in "external" or as in "don't have".

So there are pockets of technological "advance" dotting the Earth, now and in the future, and then there are the outriders who eschew that sort of thing for the most part - also now, and on into the future, because people always stay people. It appears that the Energy Wars (in which some would argue we are now embroiled - the concept came from an Iraq vet, mf_luder, - caused a change in the relative prevalence of the two philosophies. Fewer urban centers and urbanites, more rural areas and ruralites, in keeping with a stable human ecopsphere.. Wars have a way of thinning the herd and sorting that out in their wake - and world-wide Energy Wars would likely have an impact.

On top of that, spreading out into the stars would make necessary changes in the Home Base, as far as population balances go.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Understood Sir and will incorperate your 'slant' on Vandalia
into the storyline... so speaketh The Neo!

On a more-serious note, I'm contemplating BIAD dressing-up
to-the-nines for thsi episode.
What dost Thou think?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

I LIKE the outfit! The new look is to die for!

Those... those... protruberances... those are muscles, right?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Those... those... protruberances... those are muscles, right?

I think so. BIAD is malformed and has gifts he's not quite sure of yet,
those displaced-muscles may well assist him when breathing underwater
or underground.

I can't see any other function for them.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm trying to work this into my next post... It's not going to be easy.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TIME (YEAR) IT IS!

Maybe I can't use it at all...

Ok, so I'm just going to go with a 'farmstead-ing' theme with 'women bein' the cream a the crop' - until I know better.
(Like I'll ever know better)...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

or underground.

Silo is already wondering how to proceed with 'Pip' during the upcoming 'melon carving' get-together at the harvest fair. Pip's just so young and impressionable and Silo's so ...lacking in her mellonians.
I guess she'll have to teach him 'less...is more'...
Then again - better to prepare him for BIAD before too long and what better time than the Mellon Carving Festival!

[image removed]

edit on 25-11-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Nov 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

or underground.

Silo is already wondering how to proceed with 'Pip' during the upcoming 'melon carving' get-together at the harvest fair. Pip's just so young and impressionable and Silo's so ...lacking in her mellonians.
I guess she'll have to teach him 'less...is more'...
Then again - better to prepare him for BIAD before too long and what better time than the Mellon Carving Festival!

[ker-snippetty snip]

edit on 25-11-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

GGGGG...GOOD GOSH WOMAN!

edit on 26/11/11 by masqua because: Trimmed melons

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You think the 'Fish Heads' is bad...?
This song is all about BIAD invading my home...
I just wish he'd listen to it!

Must get on with the Opera II!!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Ok, so I'm just going to go with a 'farmstead-ing' theme with 'women bein' the cream a the crop' - until I know better.
(Like I'll ever know better)...

That works. In a dystopian "future" from our perspective, or "present" from the characters' perspectives, there's nothing to stop trading in women folk in west Texas or wherever Silo is. It's sort of frowned upon in the "now", and also was to a lesser degree in the past, but in a dystopian future, anything goes!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

If -as you describe, a dystopian future is where we find our gang... are we to go up against
the powers-that-blah-blah?
I'm still struggling a the overall plot of this one!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I can't help but laugh.
I recieved a U2U I accidently deleted. It was titled to the 'Space Opera Working Thread'.
EEEK! I was sure someone was angry about my representatino of BIAD the 'Melon Carver'.
Au contraire!
She's interested in joining! OR at least wanted more information on the Space Opera! LOL!

So, maybe we'll have a new writer who was seduced by our collective charms (for once) and NOT RECRUITED!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

WHISTLES, HOOTS, STOMPING AND CLAPPING "BRAVO!!!!!"

Wow, Dude. I'm mesmerized. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
So -- there was another war 1500 years later? Or have they changed the year-count to represent some other "major discovery" or some tyrant's preference??

I love how you got us near the desert!!

Well done. My top hat is off to you, BIAD. And, love the new kit!!
edit on 26-11-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

It must be another war... something we haven't heard about.
maybe Tibbs knows.

new topics

top topics

<< 284  285  286    288  289  290 >>

join