It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 285
<< 282  283  284    286  287  288 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Wow, I'm luvin' this stuff!! Thanks ever so much for the vivid descripton! I'll look online see if I can find a topo map of the area; awesome! (and not a little scary,all these sinkholes and caves and underground river manatee-type ROCK things....)

I'm so excited!! Thanks for inviting us to Vandalia!

EDIT TO REMOVE THE EXCESSIVE USE OF EXCLAMATIONS>>>>BUT LEAVING THEM IN INSTEAD!!
lol -- and no, I'm not a 12-year old, nor do I dot my "i"s with a heart. ew.
edit on 22-11-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hey, I found a site here (I suspect it might even be nenothtu's!) about a bunch of caves, with info about others as well but including Daugherty Cave,
LOTS of pics.www.pbase.com...
Really cool....I can totally see our entire crew spending some exciting time here;

neno, there are a couple pics in the "recent" tab showing two guys; do you happen to know them? I dunno, the style of writing just reminds me of yours. And they look to be about "our" age...

also, how do you pronounce "Daugherty"? In my head it's either 'Dordy', or 'Dockerdy' -- but I want to "say" it correctly as per the locals...

which brings up another idea -- Dag has extensive "earth files" programmed into her -- but does she know how to pronounce all the words? It might make for some fun semantic stuff as she gets to know her captors and these elves.
edit on 22-11-2011 by wildtimes because: to add in the link. duh.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I was looking back through some info on Adam and I wanted to post you a couple a bits I wasn't sure if you knew - just in case.

One, his Scots accent - dunno where it went, lol, maybe the healing machine for got that part, lol.

Oh and Adam?

Adam was originally an A.D.A.M - Administrator for Dangerous Anaerobe (bio)-Morphs.

He was hired by LAB to hunt down all the LAB experiments that could morph.

There as something else but my cut paste crapped out. I'll go look again!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Out in the middle of the underground river was a big, gray, ovoid "rock". It was about 4 feet long and 2 feet wide, looked sort of like a big gray egg with just the top sticking out above water. I was standing there looking at it, marveling over how much water and how much time it had taken to wear it down to that shape, and playing the beam of my mining lamp over it, when it suddenly SUNK, just submerged in the water leaving swirling ripples on the surface.

Cool...maybe kind of like the "haystack formation" thing? (see that caves link for a pic in Surgeney Cave of a haystack formation)

Have you ever been to Hannibal, MO? There are lots of caves in MO too, and my kids and I toured "Tom Sawyer's Cave" years ago -- reaalllly cool, that. I wanna go back.

I've been on one or two casual (just me and a badboyfriend - no guides, no maps, no ball of twine, no lights even) spelunking episodes; scared the bejeebers outa me, actually. Just creepy...but at the same time absolutely mesmerizing.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

WRITER'S ALERT

I wanted to throw a suggestion on the table before we go much further.

I was thinking since we're beginning a new 'Saga' we might want to start a 'Chapter' thread.

Don't confuse it with the 'Working Thread' NO DISCUSSION. Only the facts. Simply put a 'combined diary' for the Second Saga.

Space Opera Saga 2 (EXAMPLE ONLY)

Chapter One: (Post by BIAD) PG. 58, post 8, First entry in New Saga. The Draydon V Courier - 44899921A-M - Then a quick set of notes.

Chapter Two: (Post by Neno) PG. 58, post 9. Neno arrives back on Vandalia. Vandalia = *****. Then quick notes.

Chapter Three: (Post by Silo) PG. 58, post 10. Silo wakes 'somewhere' in a desert. New NPC introduced, Male with no name, Horse names Red, Dog names Toby. Then any pertinent information.

See what I mean?

It would be up to each individual writer to post in this new Chapter/Addition/Whatever Thread as soon as they make an entry in the Saga.

My reasons?

- To save us a LOT of back reading and searching for information if this - Saga 2 - turns out to be as complicated and long as the original Saga.

- Help for introducing new writers.

- Help my forgetful mind, lol.

TEMPLATE:

Writer =
Page =
Post Number =
New NPC =
New Term =
Pic included?
Quick chapter outline =

(No rambling on - just facts.)

What do all think?

I suggest if we plan to do this we don't post 'out of sync' on the first page. Let's all agree on if we want to do this or not, and, then POST IN LINE with the story.

Let me know if you'd like me to get it rolling.

edit on 22-11-2011 by silo13 because: boo boo

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Writer =
Page =
Post Number =
New NPC =
New Term =
Pic included?
Quick chapter outline =

Remember... I'm old, so forgive my question!
'NPC'...? what does that mean and do we post the above on this thread (Working Thread)?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Brilliant idea. Like a synopsis thread. That would be great...
are you inviting new writers in?

I actually wondered if Xcathdra has a creative bone -- he's a good writer, in my opinion. Clever guy.

I actually thought about compiling a synopsis from the Opera for my own use, to know where to look for back info.

And as for BIO -- you mean of the characters? Like the survey we did the other day??

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Ha ha! I had to look it up myself, didn't want to ask...it's NonPlayerCharacter, from games, I guess. I don't know what a GPC is, though. Guest PC?

EDIT TO ADD:

I hope we can all agree to continue to ask permission for each other's characters to be moved, used, represented, etc....like we've been doing lately.

It seemed sort of out of control for a while -- like we each had to catch up, and backpedal, and delete because it wasn't all jiving.

I mean this as NO OFFENSE; I have used other's characters as well, and I think once we all KNOW the characters inside and out, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but still, to ask permission or run it by the "owner". Would that work for you guys?
I know for my own process, I think about the story all the time, and come up with random ideas about what to do next, at all hours of the day and night, and I like it better when I don't have to see if my characters were running around behind my back when I get home.....

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Remember... I'm old, so forgive my question!
'NPC'...? what does that mean and do we post the above on this thread (Working Thread)?

I think it should be a thread outside the working thread - nodicussion - just 'cliff notes'... A PURE index thread.

NPC - A character we make up as our own that is not our 'main' character but we 'write' for it - like your Tibbs and Muckles and the dudes on the hill you just brought in.

When they're 'introduced' for the first time in the New Saga 'NPC=' Is where we'd stick in a quick note in the 'Space Opera Index Thread'. Or whatever we decide to call it.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Brilliant idea. Like a synopsis thread. That would be great...
are you inviting new writers in?
I actually wondered if Xcathdra has a creative bone -- he's a good writer, in my opinion. Clever guy.
I actually thought about compiling a synopsis from the Opera for my own use, to know where to look for back info.
And as for BIO -- you mean of the characters? Like the survey we did the other day??

We've always been looking for new writers but I think we're doing fine right now. It would be my suggestion (and ONLY A SUGGESTION) we don't bring anyone in for a little bit until we four 'get into a groove'. See, we got this newbie here that... (LOL! NOT! Just teasing you hun)!!!

The more I thought of it I think the BIO is too much. We should really just keep to NEW facts.

Oh, and, I've started a Synopsis of the Space Opera but I've only gotten to about page 45 and then I just die. LOL. That's my main reason for wanting to start off this new thread now to 'ease the pain later'...

I think it will be a huge help but if everyone's not into doing it that's fine too, I'll do it on my own, but, I was in hopes to have everyone involved - more so I don't frig anything up! LOL

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Let me reiterate - If this 'Space Opera Saga Two Index' (or whatever it's called) isn't something you all want to participate in just say. I don't want anyone to feel like they're forced to do it. I can quickly post in it each day after reading the rest of your new posts - I just didn't want to make it look like I was trying to do it on my own. I'd honestly rather not, I'd love to see everyone chip in but for sake of later headaches I'll go ahead and do it either way if that's acceptable.

edit on 22-11-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Could we ask masqua to move the Saga 2 posts into a "Space Opera Volume Two thread"?

I love your idea to keep a sequential cliff's notes. I was even considering making an "index"....which I'm happy to do, I think it would be fun!!

oh, I see we both used the word index...I'm thinking of your suggestion as a Synopsis or Outline. By Index, I meant a reference for every time a character, place, or major event is mentioned. Like at the end of a non-fiction book. Which in the old days was the "search engine" equivalent for scholars and researchers.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Could we ask masqua to move the Saga 2 posts into a "Space Opera Volume Two thread"?

Another reason why I wanted to start a 'cliff notes' - We talked awhile back about starting a new actual Story Line thread but it was decided between the writers back then to keep going within the story line where it is now.

oh, I see we both used the word index...I'm thinking of your suggestion as a Synopsis or Outline. By Index, I meant a reference for every time a character, place, or major event is mentioned. Like at the end of a non-fiction book. Which in the old days was the "search engine" equivalent for scholars and researchers.

That's what I'm suggesting.

A simple template.

Every time we post in the story line - we then jump to the 'Chapter Thread' or 'Synopsis/Index Thread' and fill in the quick template. No discussions, no going on and on - just the facts.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Okay. I am suggesting having a thread or something where there is an alpha list of all the characters, places, ships, etc., and where to go to read about them.

BIAD 3/4, 52/2,
Silo13 4/2, 4/6, 10/1....etc.

that way readers can go straight to the posts they want to read; I tried it in the ATS Search, but it wasn't specific enough to work. That way we don't have to rely on you (or whoever) to point us to a post, like you have so graciously done for me getting going here..

It's a different thing from yours, yours serving as a Table of Contents, this serving as the "index" at the back.
Am I making sense??

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I've posted a U2U to Masqua asking about a 'Index' thread.

Here's just an EXAMPLE and an EXAMPLE ONLY:

~ *~ Space Opera II - Index Thread ~*~

On page 58 of the Space Opera the story began anew!

Starting a new beginning in the Saga is a good time to pick up some habits I’m sure will come in handy to all of us in the future. I hope all Space Opera Participants will take a moment to fill in the simple template after posting in the Story Line.

Template

Writer -

Page -

Post Number (on page) -

New NPC -

New Term -

Pic included -

Quick post outline -

Any other pertinent info -

*This thread is not intended for discussion - Discussions are for the the Space Opera Working Thread

/EXAMPLE

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Problem is we need the info in line with the story.

Maybe naming the chapters will help with the search engine - that's why I started naming mine.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Problem is we need the info in line with the story.

Maybe naming the chapters will help with the search engine - that's why I started naming mine.

Yeah, I get that...we do need a synopsis, in sequential order.
I just find it helpful to ALSO have an alpha list of persons, places, events, with page numbers. For example, when I wanted to read up on Adam and Dag; I could go there and look up ADAM, and it would show me every post referencing him, in order. Rather than thumbing through 50+pages of threads looking for him.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Okey-Dokey, my Lady... great idea.

How about describing what you wear -when writing the.....

I apologise for the above suggestion, BIAD is now rocking back
-and-forth in pain... and he won't write like that again.
Will you?

No.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Ok I ran it by Masqua - here it is:

~ *~ Space Opera II - Index Thread ~*~

Since you posted first BIAD - you're up first!
(Pg 58, 8th post on page I believe.)

(And I like the 'what you're wearing' idea
)

*tosses BIAD an ice pack*

edit on 22-11-2011 by silo13 because: forgot to add first aid

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Yeah, I get that...we do need a synopsis, in sequential order.
I just find it helpful to ALSO have an alpha list of persons, places, events, with page numbers. For example, when I wanted to read up on Adam and Dag; I could go there and look up ADAM, and it would show me every post referencing him, in order. Rather than thumbing through 50+pages of threads looking for him.

As long as it stays in line with the story? Once people know who is who I think it will work.

For the first day or two it's gonna be a pain though going back and forth between each other to get the sequence straight - bummer that.

new topics

top topics

<< 282  283  284    286  287  288 >>

join