It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 257
<< 254  255  256    258  259  260 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

I went to change it to the first one, since the second is too wide, but it had all sorts of unforseen and unlikely results. Then it told me it had to be hosted on my media page, but of course uploads are forbidden there now, so I just swapped it back to what it was.

I like the shadow effect in the second one, so I'm still sort of torn between the two. Decisions, decisions... but since it won't let me change to either one, the point may be moot.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The Movie.

I watched it last night. It's worth the watching. It's not a direct correlation to the Space Opera, but employs some of the same plot elements, going off way out into the field in other places. The similar plot elements are generic in nature, not specific enough for a link to the Opera. it seems an independent development.

With that said, Jake Lonergan IS neno, through and through, all the way to the bone. If you watch it, pay attention to the opening scene, where he "acquires" his clothes, horse, equipment, and dog. Yup, that's neno to the core. Then, later, watch how he deals with Percy Dollarhide. Neno again. Then how he deals with his old gang in their initial encounter - you guessed it - a neno solution. He has a dead wife and a guilty conscience. Neno.

The first view of the aliens does appear to have a buzzard-like beak, but that is a function of the low lighting. When you see them out in broad daylight, it's a whole 'nuther type of alien.

When the alien vessel launches out of the ground, it DOES appear to be tower-like, ala the Dark Lord's tower.

The girl Ella? well, you'll just have to watch it. She's a "real" girl - sort of.

The merger of the Western genre with the Science Fiction genre has come under fire by critics, who are notorious in not having a clue what they're talking about. Firefly ("Serenity"), the Space Opera, and now this movie seem to indicate that the future may lie in that direction, and critics be damned!

ETA: much to my chagrin, I didn't recognize Clancy Brown ("The Kurgan" from the Highlander, "Sgt. Zim" from Starship Troopers) as the Preacher. What can I say? It was late when I watched it - or maybe early. All things are Relative.

edit on 2011/10/26 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Question...

We all have our weaknesses.

What are Neno's? Other than he has nothing to loose which can be a benefit as much as a deadfal?

And BIAD?

One of Silo's is water. The other? Her love for all on Ship and Neno. Physically? Not much of anything as long as she can get back to her PHARS in time.

I'm having cantaloupe for lunch.
Thank you BIAD.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Question...

We all have our weaknesses.

What are Neno's? Other than he has nothing to loose which can be a benefit as much as a deadfal?

You know, I've concentrated so much on his "strengths" which aren't really strengths at all so much as they are just pure stubbornness, that I've not considered his weaknesses. One, I suppose, would be his conscience. He normally keeps that hid pretty well, but he slipped just now in the post I just made.

He's scared of spiders.

He'll put his one and only own precious carcass between any one that he cares the slightest about and anything that might bring them to harm, and that could be considered a weakness, since it could be used against him.

I'll try to think of more as I go along.

I'm having cantaloupe for lunch.
Thank you BIAD.

Young lady, we need to have a talk. lay down right here on the couch, and tell me about your childhood, for starters... then somewhat later, I will respond with "and how do you feel about that?" to every single sentence that comes out of your mouth... then I will send you a bill for an exorbitant amount, and you will be all better.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

...We all have our weaknesses... And BIAD?

BIAD's weakness is his humanity... he may have been born from
chemicals and a bad storm, but his rearing from Professor Shaw
let him see the best of us and then when his creator was murdered,
he went out into the world and saw the worst.

He's probably immortal and seems to have been destined for another
existence in another dimension, but with interacting with humans and now
-other races, he has a 'human-like' quality that makes hime seem weaker
than he actually is.

He has no possesions, as he knows through the loss of Shaw that anything
that is physical can be taken away one-way or another.

With the exception of his love for his 'Father' who first pulled him from the
tank in New Mexico -all those years ago, BIAD has never felt affection in a
any other type of relationship until now.
He sees Nenothtu has a cause and will follow that cause, the idea of a son
finally finding his Father has an obvious connection to BIAD and Proff. Shaw.
Sadly, he sees Tibbs has something to carry under one's arm!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm having cantaloupe for lunch. Thank you BIAD.

I have nothing to say on that subject.
(Dammit, BIAD is parading around with two basket balls shoved up inside
his... COME HERE YOU!)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

So one of BIAD's weaknesses might be... Being left alone in a cell. Solitary confinement? Someplace he can't get out of and where no info can get in.

Neno - spiders. Yep I remember that... Need more.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

BIAD doesn't really have a problem with being alone, he's never really known
a friendship as such, his testing in Military hands made sure he never had the
normal youth-time of seeking friends and courting girls... another unknown area!

His solitude has made him well-centred.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Another of neno's weaknesses was probed in the fight with the Dragon - -the illusion of Lt James when he was a child. Neno missed out on a lot of Lt. James' growing years, being shipwrecked and all that. That may also be why he reacted so strangely to inadevertently crushing Petron's illusions. Lt. James by proxy.

Speaking of illusions, he's really got none, and that could be considered a weakness. No direction, no goals, nothing to really keep him putting one foot in front of the other besides dogged determination to keep going until he drops.

It's a terrible thing when dreams just die.

The only other thing he's ever displayed any emotional weakness for in the story is Earth itself. It's destruction shook him to the very core. The birds of the air have their nests, the foxes their dens, but the Son of Silo has nowhere to lay his head... Home... whatever else he has or doesn't have, neno is homeless. Now, that can be seen as a weakness or a blessing, but is more probably an awful combination of both. Nothing to lose, sure, but nothing much to live for, either.

The only other places in the known universe he may consider as "home" would be Khalamzadar (pretty twisted, huh?) and Penelope. He didn't spend enough time aboard Yydryl yet to bond" with it that way, although his reaction to the Center seems to indicate that part of Yydryl to be a strong contender.

On the subject of Khalamzadar as "home", I once heard a man say that if he had a mansion on the hill, but a home in HELL, he'd sell his mansion and go home. That's how important it is to have a home - some sort of anchor for the soul. Travis' Rift is another thing altogether. Too many bad memories there, and neno just picked up Lt James and walked away from the whole ball of rock, and never looked back.

The only "blood" family he has in the entire universe is Lt James and Silo. Those are weaknesses of a sort, one representing his roots, the other his future, and no other representatives of either. The crew around him he has more or less "adopted": as a surrogate family, and however he may act towards them, he'll die for them. Dying seems no to be a big deal for him, so That may or may not be a weakness.

Growing up when and where he did, family is a strong motivator for him. The destruction of Earth is what put him on a collision course with the Dark Lord.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

But... but, The Dark Lord has been around a very long time...if the Squid-Head
turns out to be persistant in existing and Nenothtu seems to have already had
is ticket punched at Death's door and looks like Death-himself doesn't want him,
then...

What happens when an immoveable object collides with something unstoppable?!!

I just know BIAD will pull his skirt over his head and cross his fingers!

edit on 27-10-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Ahh, somehow I got the impression now that BIADS tasted a bit of friendship, camaraderie, etc, he'd feel the loss.

Whack me.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

But... but, The Dark Lord has been around a very long time...if the Squid-Head
turns out to be persistant in existing and Nenothtu seems to have already had
is ticket punched at Death's door and looks like Death-himself doesn't want him,
then...

What happens when an immoveable object collides with something unstoppable?!!

I just know BIAD will pull his skirt over his head and cross his fingers!

Oddly. perhaps, I had a notion for the grand finale where neno makes a mad dive for the Dark Lord, having been disarmed or something, and when he body slams the big guy, there's a blinding flash and they both disappear in it, leading us to one of those "cliffhanger" episode endings... which ties in to my answer to the "what happens when an unstoppable force collides with an immoveable object" question - that answer is, to me, the total annhiliation of matter - or the conversion of the totality of that matter to energy, with perhaps the concurrent conversion of the energy to matter. It's possible that they just swap places...

It's a work in progress... I may just scrap it...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The end of Neno?

THE END OF NENO??

THE END OF NENO???

No, that's not an echo, that lil' ol' incredulous me.

*Chants to self* - 'I'll never look at melons again. I'll never look at melons again!'

'One collaborates to live!' (Thomas Becket)

On the other hand, what are we going to do with his Darkness?

Question eternal - 'What is good, without bad?'

edit on 28-10-2011 by silo13 because: cause 'the ned of neno' just didn't fit.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You may be correct... BIAD now knows a 'family-like' feeling with Neno,
Silo and Tibbs and holds it dear.

Melons, smacking devices... what on Earth (or Carbiox) will be next?!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Listen to the applicable dialog here:

Besides being absolutely STUNNING and on spot dialog - well... Take a listen. I hear Neno and BIAD spun through the whole piece.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I know that Silo, Tibbs and BIAD would never allow it!
The Universe without Neno can not be allowable and if
I think about it, it is written down somewhere in your
Congress Building.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Now that I have my whits gathered after that scare...

Oddly. perhaps, I had a notion for the grand finale where neno makes a mad dive for the Dark Lord, having been disarmed or something, and when he body slams the big guy, there's a blinding flash and they both disappear in it, leading us to one of those "cliffhanger" episode endings

This would give us a great point to end the Space Opera and START that PREQUEL you two were talking about - to go back in time (or forward or whatever that is you all understand that I don't) and tell the back story?

Scary thought that. Is it time?

HUGE question that.

My opinion? I've got a white painted fence post up my wazoo.

peace

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

My opinion? I've got a white painted fence post up my wazoo...

Aw Lawks! now it's self-mutilation

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

The end of Neno?

THE END OF NENO??

THE END OF NENO???

No, that's not an echo, that lil' ol' incredulous me.

Naw, I didn't express myself very well. Not the "end" of neno, but a (potential) transformation into... something else.

OR

A short trip to another dimension, where other rules of physics may apply and give him some sort of decisive advantage over the Dark Lord

OR

something else altogether that my fevered brain has yet to formulate...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

I know that Silo, Tibbs and BIAD would never allow it!
The Universe without Neno can not be allowable and if
I think about it, it is written down somewhere in your
Congress Building.

I had another little piece running through my head not long ago. It's YEARS into the future, maybe 30 or so, and neno is now a destitute old(er) man (around 80-ish, and senile), living in an open-air camp on a river bank at the edge of a settlement - with a little yappy dog, of course. "The Homeless 'Hero' ". Local kids pick on him, and grownups just can't understand how anyone could live that way - and have no idea of his 'history'. He's known to the locals simply as "Old Fred" or "Crazy Old Fred".

His mind isn't just what it used to be any more. he has flare-up of the "old neno" in occasional moments of lucidity, but they pass.

Envision neno shuffling along, collecting cans. The shopping cart is optional, but a bag is a must, to collect the cans - or "whatevers" into for resale for a pittance to buy his next meal.

BIAD arrives one day, looking for him at Silo's insistence, and hauls his befuddled butt out of there aboard a refurbished StarWolf back home to... the Center aboard Yydryl.

The End.

OR

The Beginning.

of the Prequel.

Alternate "endings" involving neno:

1) neno goes to the Center on Yydryl to live out the rest of his mortal days in peace.

2) neno goes to the Center of Yydryl to live his Immortal Existence, a gift or blessing bestowed upon him from whatever passes for the "gods" of the universe for his role in saving it - which no mortals know anything about, since it WAS saved - all else is "just legends in an old book about a mythical being called The Neo".

3) neno goes to the Center of Yydryl to live his Immortal Existence, A curse bestowed upon him by the fact that Death refuses to have anything more to do with him, and just won't take him.

I've got too much "thinkin' time" on my hands...

Why was there a box on my front stoop this morning labeled "ACME White Picket Fence Extractor?" Does anyone know how to work this gadget?

edit on 2011/10/28 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 254  255  256    258  259  260 >>

join