It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 244
<< 241  242  243    245  246  247 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by nenothtu

I had visions of Neno taking a plunge from the caverns above and landing at her feet. There's that Serendipity again - but who knows? None of that ever really cemented.

Now, that's just eerily close to what I had in mind! There's a bloodcurdling scream involved, and a plunge from a high place, but rather than landing at her feet, he grabs her by the chin and the back of the head, and threatens to break her neck if she doesn't call the zombies off. Now granted, there's a BUNCH of zombies, and only one of him, but he's got a trick up his sleeve that I used once in the real world to good effect.

I'll mull over the dialog a bit more, take a nap, and try to get it posted later today.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Love it.
And who knows how she might respond with that he-man chin and head grabbing. She just might plant you a facer - and not with her fists! She's pretty into herself.

That and I'm sure she's got a great excuse why the zombie Cul's have not been 'released' yet.

but he's got a trick up his sleeve that I used once in the real world to good effect.
And THIS I want to hear more about! lol

Have a good nap.

edit on 29-7-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

here's the condensed version of the story from the real world. Once upon a time, about 8 years or so ago, I was on duty, in uniform, gunbelt and all the shiny geegaws that came with the job. It was a hot day, and I had to run a few undesirables off from a shady spot where they weren't supposed to be. So I went ambling in, and told 'em to move on. They allowed as how it was HOT, and they weren't giving up their shade, whereupon I told them that was MY shade, and they needed to move on and find their own.

There were 11 of them, and one of me. When a crowd of pissed off folks start towards you, it changes the equation a bit.

One bright young man stood up and started towards me, whereupon the rest fell in behind him, and it really didn't look too good for me. I took one step back with my right leg to brace myself, and unsnapped the retainer strap on my holster, to let 'em know I wasn't kidding.

So then, the bright young fella who I took to be the leader, 'cause they all fell in behind him, grins and says "You only got a six-shooter. No way you can get all of us before we get you" at which his chums started nodding in agreement, and coming on.

Now, the fact is that I had two spare speed loaders, and so I had 12 more shots than were already in the gun, 18 altogether, but rather than getting into the details with them, I just set my hand on my gunbutt, thumbed the hammer back but didn't actually draw it, and said. "Probably not, but I guarantee you'll be the first to fall. All I need now is five more brave young volunteers to step up to die, and we can get this thing in motion. The first six that wanna die, take one more step forward so I don't hit none of yer buddies."

No one took that step. I reckon they just didn't want to die that day, and I'd have shot a few before they got me, sure as your born. If you're gonna die anyhow, take some company for the journey.

Anyhow, they started milling around, waiting on someone to be the first to step up, and after about 25 or 30 seconds, which seemed at the time to be a month or so, they started drifting off to find other shade, as I'd suggested, and without any more words.

Rule One: Pick the leader. Once you have control of him, the followers are easy. If they also know that it's personal, and they personally might get hole-punched and start leaking right after him, it makes it all the easier for them to decide whether to follow or not.

NO ONE wants to be the first to drop.

Now what are we gonna do with the POW Y'Quorra? Neno can't kill her, since she's under his control now (so he thinks) and he can't let anyone else hurt her while she's a prisoner, either. I sense interesting times ahead....

edit on 2011/7/29 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Weeel that whole post just went up in flames. Got a disconnect. Normally I write my posts in MSWord and cut paste over. That'll teach me!

Let's try again. I said something about thank goodness you have a sack a chutzpa on your side (and your sidearm) or you could have taken a thumpin' in the shade! I also added something about keeping in mind - as pertinent as 'taking on the leader' - we also have to remember... Taking turkey's on the wing? Start from the back of the line and move forward. Shoot the point bird and the rest scatter.

Even more of the post that was lost?

I'm feeling there's going to have to be, at some point, a face to face between Y'lrang and his ex-love, now stepmother.

Question is. Did she go with the Father for power? Or go with Y's father because she knew Y would be killed if she didn't - and - that she's the last ditch effort to help the Culs?

Hard to say yet. I don't have the input from you or BIAD yet, OR, the players in the story.

I do think Silo's going to get her heart broken again... We'll have to see. I just don't see Y'lrang and his sister Wren going back to the YYdryl. They'll be needed to go back to their planet with their people and start all over again. And maybe? If the ex-love/evil or not step mother is 'good'? She and Y'lrang will be together like they should have been a long time ago.

Poor Silo.

Added Note: Carpet needs to start talking to Dag. He's feeling neglected. Maybe Dag will think she's going zany, or, Adam is talking to her, who knows, but, Carpet needs to speak up.
He told me so.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

"Probably not, but I guarantee you'll be the first to fall...

Wait a moment... are you saying that our illustrious Gunman -who also
doubles as a law-enforcer in the real world, was in a same situation has
Neno-From-Tombstone dealing with Ike Clanton?

The world we're living in and the the one we've created seems to be have
rubbing shoulders for quite some time!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

There have been a handful of times in my life where someone on the outside looking in may have thought "My! But THAT was ballsy!", but the reality of the thought process at the time was less of "strike up the band! Little Johnny gets to play hero today!" and more of "Well, didn't you just miscalculate that! Now yer gonna die - might as well not go alone!" More fatalistic, a sort of "it's too late to get scared now! You're a goner!" Maybe a couple of times more blind anger than anything rational - less "oh lookey, ain't he brave?" and more of a mindless "HULK SMAAASH!" which ain't really nothing to be proud of nor brag about. it just was what it was.

I was thinking that Y'Quorra (for some reason, I think of her as a "Cora", so I may have inadvertently built in some of the personality of a Cora I used to know) is motivated in some measure by being drawn to "power", which is common enough among humans, male and female. That doesn't preclude her being basically "good", though, it only gives her a motivation not always based in altruism. There's no real reason that she can't be out to "help" the Culs in reality AND get all wiggly and giggly in the presence of "power". In the words of Jessica Rabbit - "I ain't bad, I'm just drawn that way!" Perceptions can be deceiving. That would answer the question of how to get her off of neno, and put her back on to Y'Lrang.

None of this "come with me and rule the Culs" business for neno. As far as he's concerned, they already HAVE a perfectly good ruler in Y'Lrang, and then there's the notion that neno already "rules the universe" in the sense that he does what he wants, when he wants, wherever he happens to be. Who in their right mind would trade that in to be tied down to the headaches of ruling a limited kingdom? Other folks may have a different perspective on that, but to neno's mind, anyone who would make that trade HAS to be a little off.

So then, if that's the way it goes, we just have to figure out a way to patch up Silo's busted heart, in company with Dag, who suffers the same malady, for a different reason.

edit on 2011/7/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

In the real world, I'm less of a "law enforcer", and more of a gun hand for hire. It affords me a bit more leeway in what I choose to "enforce". I'm not locked in to upholding any particular "code" beyond my own, and have the luxury of turning down a job if it doesn't smell quite right to me. I'm trained in Law Enforcement (State of Virginia - each one varies as to laws), but couldn't enforce law impartially with a clear conscience. Some things are "illegal" that really ought not to be, as far as I'm concerned.

I used to train cops (tactics, rather than Law), but when I moved to this state, it has no reciprocity with Virginia (where I was certified) so I never went through the certification process for law enforcement here, and what I already had wouldn't transfer. I got licensed here instead for "Private Protection" - related perhaps, but not the same. Oddly, you have to be held to a higher operational standard to be in the private protection gig here than you do law enforcement in all respects except for a broad knowledge of the local application of law. For example, to qualify, I have to shoot at least an 80% score on a modified FBI firing range course, but cops only have to shoot 70% or better. I've got a qualification certification here somewhere on which I shot something like a 96% score on the daylight portion of the course, and something like a 98% on the night time section of the course. In other words, I shot better in the dark than I did the light, paradoxically.

The reason that Law Enforcement certifications don't necessarily transfer state to state is in the difference in the various State Codes. You need an intimate knowledge of the laws in the state in which you are going to enforce said law, and a knowledge of another state's law doesn't necessarily apply. The Police have to have a broader and more rigorous understanding of local and state laws than I do. I only have to have an intimate knowledge of the laws that specifically apply to situations I may find myself in, rather than everything.

Yup, the real world creeps into the writing fairly frequently. I have a notion that the reason behind that is that people write better about things on which they have a certain amount of knowledge. It adds to the believability and "authority" of an otherwise unbelievable story, and serves to draw the reader into the plot with a front-row seat. Some themes are repetitive, and history DOES repeat itself, with a disturbing regularity. The details may change from age to age and time to time, but some basics are just plain constant in the world - and apparently beyond!

edit on 2011/7/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

GREAT post!
Loved it.
Laughed myself blue in parts (that was from choking on my muffin)...

So, we've got Neno, Y'Quorra, Silo, Sslar and Chumley in one group and all the rest in the other.

I like how this is heating up.

I wonder where Margo is?

peace

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

(Cough).... gotta get 'em outta the cave, it's stifling (gulp)
We need some light on the subject... we need a change of
scenery!

I'm voting for a 'Ridley-Scott-Legend' type of woodland with sugar-stealers
floating in the breeze, Pixies giggling in the undergrowth and Gnomes busying
themselves mixing serums and potions!

Is that too much to ask?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
So what is it again we're looking for exactly down there while helping the Culs?
Something to do with the plug nickle - but I completely forgot what it's supposed to do.
Oh wait, maybe we don't know yet.W
Well, let's get-'er-found!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
So there ya go.

Nutshell version?

A guilt ridden King who entered into an alliance with the Dark Lord, lost his wife, his people and became besotted with a girl under his protection - as a result loosing everything including his son.

A son who lost his woman to his father and the big question? Would he have forgiven Quorra if he hadn't been drugged? Would this then have stopped the whole terrible incident?

Wren - the sister who feels culpable - a shifter who will not return to 'normal' until her brother knows the truth.

A girl in love caught in the middle (Silo
)

A bunch of zombies controlled by the Dark Lord to MINE WHAT? in the mines.
A race of people used as slaves to protect WHAT? in the mines.
If not either what are they doing in the mines?

The Big Rift about to - or not to happen and how BIAD, Neno and Sslar will 'fix' all that along with Mucklebones and Tibbs and the voodoo that they doo!

And we're on the way to meet up with The King (is he still alive even?) and the Dark Lord himself and there we will find out, or we should, if Quorra is the 'wicked witch of the west, or the good witch...'

Whoa.

I bet there's a lot I forgot too...

EDIT TO ADD:

I did forget!

And Carpet! When is he going to be strong enough to start to talk to Dag?
Adam? How will his body be sacrificed to help this whole thing work out just fine.
Is it even possible Carpet could 'move in' to Adam's body? Rejuvenate and 'clean' it up and forever more be more than a Milli-Being, but, a Milli-Being in a body???

WHEW!

edit on 2-8-2011 by silo13 because: see edit above

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

An image has surfaced from a privately-owned Mining Company
in the Northern area of Ronne Ice Shelf in Antartica that may be
a sign of good things to come.

A special camera for their operations picked up this...

edit on 2-8-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Looking Good!Thank you for reminding me.

The Splitter!

I'll have to leave that in BIAD and NENO's capable hands. I still can't wrap my mind around the 'Splitter' and the Big Rift.

Trying though! Doesn't help there's no Wiki for Dummies on the subject!

edit on 3-8-2011 by silo13 because: :O

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Thank you for cutting the bonds on that poor, slightly homicidal queen, I had meant to write a post removing them, but have had a series of cluster headaches over the past 3 or 4 days that leave me somewhat disoriented when I come to again. They'll pass, though, They always do, until next time.

I'm waiting to see if Y'Quorra tells the tale of the Dark Lord's plan to make them "powerful again". The only thing I could post at the moment would be a drawn out diatribe by neno on how they are idiots, and giving up your power to someone else in no way makes YOU powerful again, and how real power lies in determining your own destiny, not being led into one, blah, blah, blah...

Going back to watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" now. I like it, probably because I've got something torqued deep inside, in the middle of my soul. "Torqued" sounds so much more high-brow than a mere vulgar "twisted" now doesn't it?

I may never view rabbits in quite the same light again...

PS: The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow (European) is 10 meters per second (19.438 knots). Reference

Of course neno, being a Gordian Knot sort of fellow, would have probably said "fast enough to stay airborne, so's it don't bump it's ass on the ground", or "a bit slower than your terminal velocity is gonna be when you hit the bottom of this gorge iffen you don't git outta my way." Not much arguing with that. Either answer is accurate.

edit on 2011/8/3 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Sorry about your headaches! (At least they're not effected your humor)...

I'd love to post but I'm confused. I've been bothering poor BIAD in U2U but I still don't think I have the right idea yet.

I can't figure out how they went from where Silo used to work at the pub through the hell mines and into a place Y'lrang and Y'lwren are 'happy to be home to' ---

UNLESS it's all a facade and that's how the Cul's are being 'kept'??? Or of course it could be something completely different and we'll just wait for BIAD to let us know!

good day ya'll

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I was looking at it as a Haven... a place where they had fled to and yet unsuccessfully
alluded the wants of The Dark Lord. He holds them because they fear his power and really,
have no where else to go.
Maybe the Dark Lord has destroyed their world and they thought this 'backwater' planet
would be a place to hide, but whatever... the Dark Lord needs them for something.
The mining of the mountain may indicate something, the Queen must somehow be involved
in keeping them there and of course, there's the 'spooky' Fairground to come... where games
and contests can take or save lives.

Phew!
It's all ahead and just to the left, people... keep your arms in the vehicle at all times!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Maybe the Dark Lord has destroyed their world

Oh I hope not! If so that means we're going to have to leave them behind or there'll be a lot of new peoples infiltrating the YYdryl! Noooo!

...and they thought this 'backwater' planet would be a place to hide,

As for being there on that planet now? The back story in the Opera tells us in the alliance with the Dark Lord the 'King' got nubbed, taken in, used,conned - and - the Dark Lord 'took' all Y's people as slaves to work in the mines...

Why? I've nooooo idea. We'll have to wait and find out! Must be something in there that fuel the Dark Lord's plans? I just don't know...

Edit to add: Also, I guess Neno is going to have to tell BIAD and Silo what Q said about the Dark Lord and the Cul's becoming strong again - or something cause I had to get that part in quick about Y's eyes as their color changed. Scary that! That or I can edit it that Silo is talking to Chumley??? Let me know!

edit on 4-8-2011 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Sorry about your headaches! (At least they're not effected your humor)...

Eh, they are what they are. I've been getting them since I was around 17 or so. Sort of like migraines, they hurt a bit, mess with your vision and stomach a bit, and knock you out for a bit if you don't catch 'em in time. The only real difference I've noticed is that when you get one, you can count on several more over the next couple of weeks, then they leave you be for a few months to a couple of years. If I catch 'em soon enough, I can shut 'em down in a half hour to 45 minutes with no harm done, and if I can't catch 'em soon enough, they just run their course. Ain't nothing but a thing. It ain't like I'm a stranger to pain. I've got a bit higher pain threshold than most, I think.

I'd love to post but I'm confused. I've been bothering poor BIAD in U2U but I still don't think I have the right idea yet.

I can't figure out how they went from where Silo used to work at the pub through the hell mines and into a place Y'lrang and Y'lwren are 'happy to be home to' ---

UNLESS it's all a facade and that's how the Cul's are being 'kept'??? Or of course it could be something completely different and we'll just wait for BIAD to let us know!

good day ya'll

In my mind, I've been thinking of it as a sort of "Lost World", ala Conan-Doyle. A hidden valley that one has to go through the mountains (literally!) to get to. The Hell mines are the connecting tunnels, and so one may encounter beings from either "world" in them, and as we got deeper, we ran into the Culs coming from the other side.

edit on 2011/8/4 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
reply to post by silo13

I was looking at it as a Haven... a place where they had fled to and yet unsuccessfully
alluded the wants of The Dark Lord. He holds them because they fear his power and really,
have no where else to go.

I reckon someone will have to teach him that "power" is only an attitude - mixed with a dash of determination and sheer cussedness. What does neno care about fireballs being flung at him and the like? Momma always said if you just ignore 'em and push onward, they'll go away - or you'll eventually get past 'em...

Maybe the Dark Lord has destroyed their world and they thought this 'backwater' planet
would be a place to hide,

I shall nickname him "Fluffy, Destroyer of Worlds".

but whatever... the Dark Lord needs them for something.
The mining of the mountain may indicate something, the Queen must somehow be involved
in keeping them there and of course, there's the 'spooky' Fairground to come... where games
and contests can take or save lives.

That makes her still an unknown quantity, then. Is she really out to help the Culs, is she really pulling for the Dark Lord, or is she trying to protect the Culs BY pulling for the Dark Lord? Sort of trying to protect them by keeping the flying fireballs to a minimum, or keep them out of the way of the flying magic fireballs?

Tune in next time, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I reckon someone will have to teach him that "power" is only an attitude - mixed with a dash of determination and sheer cussedness. What does neno care about fireballs being flung at him and the like? Momma always said if you just ignore 'em and push onward, they'll go away - or you'll eventually get past 'em...

I knew it was only a matter of time before I tripped a wire and the Vandal would step up, wring his
hands in readiness and say "He's a King, huh... now let me show him how to act like one!"

Any act of control from an outside force, then Nenothtu is there to demand credentials.. AND if
they don't reach his standards, then there'll be a red ring around the Moon, that night!

new topics

top topics

<< 241  242  243    245  246  247 >>

join