It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 239
<< 236  237  238    240  241  242 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Cooooool. So we're gonna get enchanted!
Well, the others are on their way sooooo enchant away and we'll see what happens!

'Tainted' was a theme I was going to work on - that the Dragon could tell the difference between the 'tainted' guards and the, well, 'untainted' - 'tainted' being the ones that held the corrupted blood of the Carnival's = Culs.

So, And does 'tainted' come (also) from being 'enchanted'?

Soooo how/why does the Dragon 'enchant' and - did the dragon enchant ALL the slaves?

Added Note: Somewhere down in these mines is a massive area for all the slaves, also the ones ruling the slaves. Kind of like a 'Spartacus' theme underground. Here we should find a couple of figureheads in the side story of the Cul's and hopefully clues to the whole Dark Lord and Big Rift thing. How does the dragon tie in to Dark Lord and TPTB?

Enchanted... Enchanted could be cool...

I honestly don't get the feeling that Silo is having any problem 'integrating' - but - I like hearing about it and I'll go with it for sure...

edit on 29-6-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm hesitating on the final battle because thsi is usually Neno's area and I know
he enjoys the gore-part!
Now how does the spell get broken?

Edit:
I found this on the back of a bus!

edit on 30-6-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Apologies. I got called away from the world for a bit.

Update on the puppies: They all died. Every last one, and we just couldn't figure out what the problem was. I'm heartbroken, and momma-dog is as depressed as I've ever seen a dog get. There's a spaying in her future, 'cause ain't neither one of us ever going through that again.

On to the Space Opera.

Here are some of the DAZ pictures. I've re-sized them to fit in the confines of the thread, since I've yet to figure out the arcane art of putting scroll bars on them. The originals are anywhere from 1280 pixels to 1795 pixels in the long dimension.

First, the dragon. These first 3 are earlier versions, and you'll notice a difference in the spikes/horns around the eyebrows and differences in the snout and the throat between this version and the later version below:

One of neno's archery (finally settled on some clothes for him of sorts, but not what I had in mind):

I need to "age" him, probably give him more hair (hasn't had time for a haircut what with all this traipsing around through time and the universe) and find a Really Huge Sword for him to stick through the dragon's neck (between the scales, of course), and still figure out his duds, which I'm not having much luck with. Probably not going to happen in time for the story, but them's the breaks, and you sort of get the idea. As an aside, according to Cherokee legend, the Uktena has a "soft spot" in it's throat directly beneath the 7th scale, which is the only vulnerable place an arrow will kill it. That, according to the legend, is how the Shawnee captive managed to kill it and gain his freedom. I'm thinking in this case a few crossbow bolts sticking out of it's head from Silo's new toy would not be amiss, and one in it's eye, blinding it on that side, would be even better.

A couple of Sslar:

And finally two different angles on Sslar vs. The Dragon:

Notice in the last two that the Dragon's throat, eyebrows, and muzzle (and chin) have been re-worked, as well as it's tongue has been lifted and stuck out further to make that more prominent, but I've yet to figure out how to attach wings to it, or legs for that matter. I was working from the "Orm/Uktena" angle, neither of which creature has wings or legs to my knowledge.

I have another Dragon model (WITH wings and legs), but no textures for it yet, and it's not been rigged to be "poseable", so the model is static in every view, and comes out looking like an alabaster statue.

Onward. I'm off to read the latest installments in the Opera now, and figure out what I can add to it.

ETA: They're still just a wee bit too wide for the thread, but you can see the most of them, or right-click on 'em and save 'em to local for the full effect. I re-sized them to 620 pixels wide, and seem to have still over-estimated.

edit on 2011/6/30 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
reply to post by silo13

I'm hesitating on the final battle because thsi is usually Neno's area and I know
he enjoys the gore-part!
Now how does the spell get broken?

Consider it broken... maybe!

Edit:
I found this on the back of a bus!

I like that - it's got the magazine box, AND the "goats-foot" cocking lever which is that gizzy laying right above the box.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
More DAZ pictures, in keeping with the current story.

Sslar assaults the Dragon from the rear:

Her fangs appear to have found a soft spot in the side of the neck, away from the armor plates on the back of the neck and throat, and between the coin-shaped armor plates on the sides.

The original for that picture is 1706 x 2207 pixels. It has a good bit more detail than the reduced-size version presented here. I've cropped out a detail to post at full size, to give you a notion of what the whole thing looks like:

Just the latest work on it. I'll see if I can find a suitable sword and some crossbow bolts to add....

Edit to add:

Here's the final version of the Dragon's death:

Silo has popped an arrow into it's eye, but missed the brain because her shot angle wouldn't allow the penetration. It distracted the dragon, allowing Sslar to attack from the back, biting into the soft parts of the neck. The pain of these wounds causes the dragon to throw it's head up in pain and rage, allowing neno to insert the sword into it's neck, where it goes from there is up for grabs.

The original is, again, 1706 x 2207 pixels. It's missing the spectacular cavern background, a few gouts of Dragon's blood, gouts of flame from the Dragon's mouth, and neno's stylish tin foil fire suit. Additionally, the arrow's shaft came out white, which will play havoc with converting the background into an alpha channel unless the shaft is painted-in in a different color.

See what you can do with it, and if you want the original to work with, it can be had.

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
— G.K. Chesterton - British writer, 1874 - 1936 Source

Check out his quotes. The man was nothing short of a genius.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Oh Sir, I am sorry for your loss and I hope time can mend a little of
the heartbreak.

With all respect... The images are absolutely AWESOME!!
Truly, those pics must have taken ages to do and the detail leaves no doubt
that an expertise lays here. BIAD's face is green with envy and his dress as
also took on that sort of tinge!

Now to break Neno's illusions and cut this sucka down to size!
Really... Wow!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Oops! I added the final version to my last post as you were posting this reply.

I actually own a copy of that sword, and it's not quite as big as in the picture, but we're working larger than life here, eh? It's William Wallace's sword from the movie "Braveheart". The one I have is about 5 feet long altogether. It's as tall as my middle daughter is...

The pictures didn't take all that long. All of the models are "pre-fab", and so I only had to tweak them for personality and pose them, and I had to re-do the textures for the Sslar model to make the coat green (started out with a hide for a white tiger) while retaining the pinks and reds for the nose and inner mouth, and the ancient ivory sort of color for the teeth.

The post-production (blood, flame, shiny suit) and compositing work (cavern background) is beyond my ability.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

No problem, I like the confusion of the illusions and reality and how it's accepted
-then ignored by Sslar. 'Get on with the Main course' seems to be the watchwords!

Edit: Time for bread-making here and I must look up this 'Daz' software later... it's great!
edit on 30-6-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Neno All of them died? OMG.
I can't even imagine. Well, I guess I can that's what makes it so bad. I'm so sorry...

On Point: The pics are incredible. The 'depth' of Sslar's face (head on) and the Dragon are magnificent. I really have to learn that program. Incredible stuff - no joke.

Off to read the story line...

Sorry again...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Edit: Time for bread-making here and I must look up this 'Daz' software later... it's great!

When you get back from the grind, here's a link to the software: DAZ Studio 3

The software is free for the basic version. I have "DAZ Studio Advanced", the paid version, but I've honestly not found any significant differences in it from the free version. They make their money on purchases of the varying models and accoutrements, but there are also plenty of those free all across the internet from a dedicated group of folks who make it their mission in life to create and provide content for use in the program. The basic people models are free, too. The one used for neno in the last picture is "Michael 4". Sslar is the "Millenium Big Cat" tweaked for a sabertooth tiger, and re-painted with a green skin. The Dragon is the "DAZ Dinokonda".

The sword and arrow are just props that I found on the 'net, and re-sized ("Scale" sliders in DAZ Studio after "Import") for use in the scene, and aren't related to DAZ.

After setting up a scene, DAZ can export the whole scene as a model for use in other programs. I sometimes export scenes for use in Terragen, which is what I use to make external landscape images, like the "Uktena in the Jungle" images I posted a few pages back. That export sometimes runs into problems. For example, I exported Sslar and the dragon as a single model, with the net result that the same skin was used for both critters, and Sslar came out with dragon hide rather than her green striped coat, so I had to go back to the scene and export them separately, then re-orient them relative to one another in Terragen.

Here are a couple of samples of Terragen work. First an overview of a carboniferous swamp:

and a detail of the same picture, at the full resolution I rendered it at:

The Dragon down in the slimy part of the swamp:

and a detail of that one:

These are different from a composite picture - the dragon was rendered in the scene itself, right along with the vegetation, rather than added in to a swamp background, so I don't have to worry about getting the lighting directions right and all that sort of technical stuff that I'm inept at. I'm afraid that creating the scene within a cavern is beyond the scope of my ability currently.

edit on 2011/6/30 by nenothtu because: Posted wrong Dragon picture, had to fix it...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Neno All of them died? OMG.
I can't even imagine. Well, I guess I can that's what makes it so bad. I'm so sorry...

Yup. The last one died between 3 and 5 am this morning. They just stopped nursing and got unresponsive, then gave up the ghost. I forget what the vet called it, but he said it was similar to S.I.D.S. in human babies, and there really wasn't anything to be done for it. We went and got puppy formula, and tried to bottle/dropper feed them anyhow, but nothing doing. Momma dog is normally hyper and spastic as can be, but now she's just laying there and staring at nothing. Gonna have to find a way to get her out of that.

On Point: The pics are incredible. The 'depth' of Sslar's face (head on) and the Dragon are magnificent. I really have to learn that program. Incredible stuff - no joke.

Off to read the story line...

Sorry again...

The depth and perspective comes from the fact that the "objects", in this case Sslar, the Dragon, neno, the sword, the arrow, etc, are actually 3 dimensional. Once you pose them and get them to where you want them, you can then rotate the scene to be viewed from any direction to set it up for the final picture.

What you see there is the extent of my ability with it so far. If either of you can add the tweaks to make it come alive for the story, you're more than welcome to!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Neno - I see you're still online. I just sent you a U2U - I was about to post in the story line - the 'onlookers' view of what's going on. Wanted to slip it in before the the fight continues, but, there's something important in the U2U about BIAD and the outcome of the fight. Use it if you'd like, if not, no biggy, it just 'came to me' why all the fuss about BIADS broken heel before. (I had no idea why I had to put that part in, about BIAD'S breaking a heel, but, now I know)...

SIDS in puppies? Sometime I just hate mother nature...

peace

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Late breaking news on the DAZ graphics front: searching for a suitable cave environment, I ran across a page where a whole lot of DAZ stuff is being given away free for a limited time (until 31 July, this year) as a promotional by the company. There are several things listed, among which is DAZ Studio 4 with a serial number to unlock the DAZ Studio Advanced version. In other words, you can get the paid version ($50 if you buy it) as a free promotional for the next 31 days, at this link. (Or this link straight to the page about the program itself, bypassing all the other goodies).

If you're really interested in the program, you can't lose by going to check those links out!

Edit: I went to check the links out myself, to make sure they were legit and not some sort of thief-ware. They are legit, and lead directly to the DAZ website. You'll have to register there, and then once you log in, it will let you check out whatever you have in your cart, gratis. A separate page (link on the "dashboard" page) lists all the serial numbers for the products you've ordered that need them (such as DAZ Studio 4, which is an upgrade version from the one I have).

Be forewarned - the DAZ Studio 4 download is 430 megabytes. DAZ Studio 3 was only about 150 megabytes, as I recall, so it must be a pretty significant upgrade. I think the download includes some tutorial videos to get you up and running, which may account for some of the increase.

Anyhow, I'm like a kid at Christmas at the moment, and downloading my fanny off, trying to grab what interesting freebies I can.

Heck, I might even have a cave in there somewhere!

More:
Spent about an hour downloading, downloaded about 620 MB, saved about 260.00 in freebies, direct from the freebie bin at DAZ. Not a bad haul for a night. Going to bed now... will try working with the cave tomorrow.

edit on 2011/7/1 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
"Laying half supine, his head at an odd angle in Dag’s lap Adam became the first victim of the dragon and the terrifying fight to come. "

-- "Odd angle"? You haven't broken his neck and killed him off, have you?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

-- "Odd angle"? You haven't broken his neck and killed him off, have you?

He hasn't told me if he's playing possum yet or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Off to check out those sites now - thank you for listing here and the info!

Hang in there...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Quick note...
Ol' Mucklebones was left out of the my last post cause - she's not there. And neither is Tibb's book.
I dunno why, ask them...

Have a great weekend the both of you...

And BIAD - what were you up to at the back a that bus!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Latest incarnation of the Dragon's Death picture:

Cave is a bit... "shiny", but it's a cave! Still working on it, this was just a quick one in case it becomes useful, and to display the progress. I didn't get the cave seams (left and right halves) lined up quite right, and haven't found a cave section with a flat floor, nor one that is very large. Most of the "caverns" I've got so far look like hamster habitrail tubes made out of stone, with dangly-rock thingies off the roof and the floor. Still looking for just the right cavern spot - and, of course, a shiny tin foil suit for neno.

I may be off of the internet for a few days, switching ISP's. The old ISP went about 4 different kinds of Highwayman on me, started charging 300 bucks a month or so for internet service, citing "downloads", but not being able to specify just what it is that I'm allegedly downloading that's worth 300 bucks a month, or just how in the devil I'm supposed to be downloading in those sorts of quantities.

They can't seem to give me a straight answer, so I don't feel overly obligated to give them a straight payment. Gonna take that money and instead get a more amenable internet service - one that doesn't charge "by the download". On the positive side, I've found one that will light up the house with internet, plus run the telephone, plus give me a dongle so's I can get internet wherever I may be, all for around 70 bucks a month - substantially less than the Highwaymen, for substantially more service.

I sort of saw this coming when my ISP announced that they were going the Time-Warner route of charging for "download overages", but I thought they'd at least be honest about it. Instead, they seem to be charging me for things that are not, and that I can't abide by... so I may be off the 'net for a few days, but I'll be back shortly, with further reach.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Aiight.

This is as "eureka" as I'm likely to get it tonight.

We have a cavern.

We have Sslar.

We have a Dragon.

We have neno, who has his fire-suit, his gun on his right thigh, a big knife (barely observable because of the angle and the reduced picture) on the outside of his right calf, and a big ol' sword stuck in the Dragon's throat.

We have Silo's crossbow bolt stuck in the Dragon's eye (I shrunk the arrow down to crossbow bolt size).

Then I remembered that the cave is supposed to have blue light on the walls, so I added a light, colored it blue, and we have this:

Not happy with it, but it is what it is. Needs blood at the dragon's wounds, needs a slash or two on neno and Sslar to show they got roughed up a bit. I managed to hide the seam in the rear of the cave wall where I put the two halves together with a curtain stalactite, but couldn't think of anything to hide the seam in the floor with. Neno's hair and whiskers are way too short considering the travels, but I reckon they could have gotten singed off by Dragon Fire, eh?

In that case, neno needs some more soot....

The full resolution version is again 1707 x 2207 pixels, and shows better detail, but too big to post in the thread, of course.

My internet will likely go the way of the dinosaurs sometime tomorrow, and the new equipment should be here Tuesday, then I just have to install it and get it up and running. With any luck, that will go fairly fast.

Night, y'all. I'll write up another post if I get a chance before I go lights out on the 'net tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I love this one...

I was like - 'Oh look! We're in a dragon lair in Pisa'...

*wink*

The last one is awesome - you're right though it needs some blood and horribleness, but, as it works all too well.

Added Note: I admit, I was looking at that mighty fine derriere in this one - I was going to comment on the right thigh missing color, but, you've changed it now.

edit on 2-7-2011 by silo13 because: added note

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

But-but-but-but where would he keep his gun?

Honestly, the computer was acting up when I rendered that one. The C:\ drive was slammed, and had no room, so the texture files for the cave surface weren't getting drawn, which is why the cave looks so "shiny" and nekkid. I had to move a bunch of stuff to another drive to give it room to work, for it's temp files. No fire suit, either, but I reckon all the important bits are covered...

The "Leaning Tower" stalamite is still there, but the angle has changed for the view, causing it to just peek out behind Sslar's shoulder. Same for the thigh - just the viewing angle has changed. The fanny appears so because those drawers are actually painted on to his skin (talk about "skin tight"!), rather than being a separate clothing article as in the final version.

Also, his feet are "cut off" in the final version because I couldn't find any suitable boots yet... neno is actually barefoot there!

edit on 2011/7/2 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 236  237  238    240  241  242 >>

join