It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 238
<< 235  236  237    239  240  241 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

we took out the brains of the
gang!

Does 'Ooops' count?

I'm sure Chumley wouldn't mind carrying him along... Or maybe this is time for Carpet to speak up? Orrrr maybe Margo? Or maybe I just made a huge fubar and I need a good smack?

Then again, he did say he couldn't go, twice even, lol...

edit on 4-6-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Something was bothering me all evening... Cameup and took a peak at what the characters were up to and realized something was afoul, lol.

Just WHERE was Mucklebones during the whole last scene? Did the holder of the pen have a DUH moment (most likely) orrrrr was she off doing something nefarious and with only half a tale done being told...?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

No... no, the hag-with-the-wag will finish her tale soon!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
We gotta get in some torture scenes.
Sorry, but our Hero's and Heroines have had it toooooo easy.
Now it's time to 'test their metal'...
Hell, I just got back from the dentist...a third world country dentist...
Thus, my post.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Speaking of Sslar...

This is what I had in mind - interesting to share. I'm not trying to change Sslar at all, just interesting to 'see' what goes through the mind.

This animal? I guess it's the 'baddest nasty' out there... Or was...

Animals that sit atop the food chain rarely go unnoticed, especially ones with retractable claws, sharp carnivorous dentition, large eye sockets and lightning quick reflexes. Madagascar's top predator — the fossa — might be the exception.

Chances are you've never heard of the fossa, a cougar-like creature that looks and acts like a large cat but is more closely related to the mongoose. The animal is so mysterious that some leading wildlife researchers have never heard of it.

It has retractable claws like a cat and is as much at home in the trees as on the ground, but the fossa is unusual in that it hunts cooperatively in packs capable of taking down large primates. Lührs believes the cooperative hunting was an evolutionary behavior leftover from Madagascar's past when giant lemurs, now extinct, would have been a favorite fossa delicacy.
source

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hi... (static)... I'm just drying my red dress off after being in the bay at Cape Cod
and shivering in the hotel lobby, I spied a computer and came back to...(static)... see
what was happening.

My brian cells are fully charged again and I'm looking forward to getting back in harness.

Wait... the lady at the reception counter wants me to put my dress back on...
back soon...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Welcome back - skin or no skin - red dress or no - good to see you.

I talked to CindyMars and she'd like us to keep her in the loop - so - I've got a post ready yo put up (well almost ready) for her and the debacle left at her cabin - but - as for the rest of us following Neno after dragon(s?) - I'll just wait a bit on that - need everyone around.

Glad you're back

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hi Silo, I'm still in the States -but managing to get to a computer now-and-again.
It'll be good to have CindyMarrs banging about again, I haven't had the pleasure of
interacting with her prose yet.

Nenothtu must be quite famous over here, there are huge posters along the highways
with his rage-filled face on and comments on his exploits and in some of the stores,
I saw costumes where one can try on the famous gun and lop-sided grin!

I had always wondered how he had become so wealthy.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's come to my attention via a conversation with BIAD that the scenario unfolding (vis-a-vis the "dragon hunt") will need the presence of someone who was in the pyramid and saw the drawings on the walls to recognize it. Otherwise, it might slip over the heads of some. I've got an idea for how to defeat the dragon, and how to pick up some extra equipment that's going to be needed to set the scene. Silo will be integral to the defeat (you can shoot a crossbow, right?) but i can't recall if she saw the drawings in the pyramid or not.

Silo: as with zombies, hunting dragons requires head-shots - especially if using a crossbow. One of those Chinese repeating crossbows would not be amiss, and I have a feeling that we'll find what we need of ancient implements among the bones of the vanquished in the dragon's lair.

I have to wonder if the little slave that neno liberated from the slaver might not be the same artist as the one who did the pyramid drawings... and decided to follw behind, to see what neno had in mind for feeding the dragon...

Just brainstorming here, desperately seeking for workable scenarios.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Nenothtu must be quite famous over here, there are huge posters along the highways
with his rage-filled face on and comments on his exploits and in some of the stores,
I saw costumes where one can try on the famous gun and lop-sided grin!

I had always wondered how he had become so wealthy.

Marketing is everything! Believe nothing that you hear, and only half of what you see - the rest is ALL hype!

Oh, and you're getting pretty famous, too. Judy has mentioned you in the promotional blurbs for one of her YouTube videos. Something about an alien abduction gone horribly wrong, and something about "gels and oils", but she mentioned you by name.

edit on 2011/6/23 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Great to see you both back...here...

CindyMars will be back soon but until then she wants us to please keep her character alive and the shoes all warmed up for her to jump back into again. I'm going to place her on Ship today - I hope. Have had sooo little time!

Neno Can I shoot a crossbow? Can I shoot a CROSSBOW? I was born with one in my hand. (Very uncomfortable for Mother Silo)...

Yeah, I'll be all set on that but I'm gladly forewarned and I can shoot it sure, but calling it by the right parts might have gotten sticky so I'll do a little research.

edit on 24-6-2011 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

While you're researching, look up "Chinese repeating crossbow", a truly awesome bit of kit. It had a box above the stock that held 10 or so extra bolts or quarrels, whichever you prefer to call them, and dropped a fresh one into the tray when it was cocked.

Those extra arrows probably come in handy when fighting dragons!

Here's a rough plan: neno and Silo approach the dragon's lair, and scope it out unawares of the dragon. They see bones of the fallen, intermixed with the weaponry they brought to the fight, and never got to take away from it.

They spot the repeating crossbow in the detruis (for Silo), and a big sword, something on the order of a claymore or "knightly broadsword" (the two have the same roots) for neno,

Chuck the body to the dragon, and while it's occupied eating, they retrieve the aforementioned weapons. Silo is stationed above the dragon and to the side, in a rock outcrop, with the crossbow. neno approaches the dragon frontally, sword in hand, to distract it and get it to set it's head right for Silo's shots.

Now, when Silo throws the first bolt into the dragon's head, all hell breaks loose sudden-like, dragon starts spraying fire at neno, and without stopping to draw his pistol (probably not time for that when you've got a dragon trying to fry you, and there's already a sword to hand), he immediately assaults and drives the sword home under the dragon's chin, where it's head meets it's neck. This gets him BEHIND where the fire flies from, and ought to block off the windpipe with cold steel to keep the fire from flowing after the assault.

Meanwhile, back at the outcropping, silo is pumping bolts into the dragon's head for all she's worth, until it lays quiet.

There you have the tableaux from the pyramid, neno in a shiny suit, sword in hand, over a vanquished dragon. Only need someone who's seen the picture in the pyramid to point it out to the reader.

Maybe Tibbs' much sought for book is in a niche behind the dragon, being guarded by it? Dragons traditionally keep treasure of some sort laying about, don't they?

ETA: Crossbow terminology - the arrow is called a "bolt" or a "quarrel", the bow part is called the "prod", and the stock is called a "stock". The part that holds and releases the string is the "nut", the trigger is a "trigger", the interface between the trigger and the nut is a "sear". Additionally, some crossbows have a cocking lever to make it easier to cock them, called a "goat's foot", and some have a loop at the front of the stock, by the prod, that one steps into to hold it down while drawing back the string, called a "stirrup". I think the string has a special name, too, but can't recall it right at the moment.

I once had a crossbow that had a loop of sewn webbing for a stirrup. The arrangement was not ideal. I was cocking it one fine sunny day, the stitches in the webbing gave way, and the butt of the stock rose precipitously behind about 150 lbs of pressure, and nailed me in a most tender place. Oddly, I've had no children at all since then...

I made sure that my last crossbow had a steel stirrup, securely bolted on...

edit on 2011/6/24 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

edit on 2011/6/24 by nenothtu because: second edit: spelled "dragon" as "dragoon", which is not the same thing at all!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Hi You -
Ahhh, you must have just added this!
(I checked the thread this morning and then wrote my latest post.)
Anyway, it doesn’t seem to mess anything up really, only means Neno gets to kill two more guards and we’ve got more weapons - though we can still claim the weapons of the fallen when reaching Sir Dragalot.

ETA: Crossbow terminology - the arrow is called a "bolt" or a "quarrel", the bow part is called the "prod", and the stock is called a "stock". The part that holds and releases the string is the "nut", the trigger is a "trigger", the interface between the trigger and the nut is a "sear". Additionally, some crossbows have a cocking lever to make it easier to cock them, called a "goat's foot", and some have a loop at the front of the stock, by the prod, that one steps into to hold it down while drawing back the string, called a "stirrup". I think the string has a special name, too, but can't recall it right at the moment.

Very cool, I didn’t know ‘prod’ ‘sear’ or ‘stirrup’ - thank you.

So, all’s ready for the fighting the dragon scene and you look like you’ve got it planned out well.

I could only add that IMO the rest of the crew should show up in time to see Neno finish the dragon off, and, well, the fight should be pretty nasty. You know, slip ups and near misses, some blood or toasted flesh here and there, I mean, we are ---> fighting dragons!

hehehe

edit on 25-6-2011 by silo13 because: 'come on baby light my fire...'

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

And perhaps some burnt hair would not be to far afield when fighting dragons... I'm headed for work, but will mull over the scenario as I whistle past the graveyard...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
They're "copulating"? Does that mean they're pretending to be police officers?

I'm gonna let you write up just how neno handles that bucket 'o brine!

When he brings back a crossbow as a gift for Silo, well, up in them thar hills, we have a saying: "don't say I never gave you anything!", and it's generally applied when the "gift" is either way too practical (well, like a crossbow you'd be using to save HIS bacon!), or so impractical as to be humorous...

edit on 2011/6/25 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

They're "copulating"? Does that mean they're pretending to be police officers?

It was either that or that they were eating donuts...go figure.

So, you're up!

Have a great Sunday.

And yeah, you've got the crossbows now, but, what about their size! It's not going to be an easy one for Silo! Or Neno for that matter.

Now all we need to do it get the others joined up too!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Brilliant post! It gathered several loose ends and wove them into the same tapestry.

Yup, I was up, but it didn't last long - I typically work 12 hour shifts on weekends, and I typically do it on 2 hours or so of sleep, so every couple of months that catches up with me, and I crash and burn. Yesterday was one such occasion - I got home from work, cut the computer on to scan the boards, and the next thing I knew, it was this morning...

I'll work on a post to cover the crossbow issue, the big sword issue, and how Silo and neno can manage the weapons in spite of the size. I have ideas... no, really! That happens to me on occasion, despite what they say! But anyhow, I have ideas on how to make it work.

Originally, I had conceived of Sslar speaking telepathically, rather than out loud vocally, but I'd neglected to mention that. I have an idea on how to put that back on track, too, and will wrap it into the post. The basics of that particular notion is that after a while, neno and Silo notice that something about Sslar's speech mode bugs them (other than the given bother - that a big green tiger -striped cat is talking!) - and realize at some point that, inside the cavern, THEIR voices "echo", while Sslar's voice doesn't... ergo, the speech, while there, just ain't the normal mode of communication - it's directly in their heads, hence the lack of echo. Perhaps in the case of neno there should be an echo - lots of dark empty space in his head - but I'll not get bogged down in that detail...

You had neno's mannerisms and reactions down pat, and it's a bit spooky how well you two get inside his head like that, but I reckon there's no lack of room in there!

If I don't get the post up today, I'll type it up at work over night on my laptop, and post it when I get home in the morning. No internetz out there in the green, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow if I don't get it up today.

There was a thread around here somewhere that I'll have to find again about trees eating things. It had pictures of trees with bicycles and park benches and such grown into them, with the tree growing around the object, in effect "eating" it. Yesterday, on patrol, I noticed a tree that had a 6" or so steel pipe going into it, which the tree was growing around. It's about 9 feet or so off the ground, and broken so that there is only a couple of inches protruding, bit on closer inspection it was sure enough an OLD steel pipe. I took some pictures of it for that thread, if I can find the thread again. I'd imagine the pipe section makes a pretty secure home for some squirrels (I prefer to think of them as "tree-rats", but that's another story), but don't know that for sure, since I didn't stick my hand in to find out. Still, it's hard to imagine a squirrel or such like critter passing up a ready-made home like that!

Yeah, some times I think I may have too much loose time on my hands out there!

I've also been preoccupied lately with dogs. My German Shepherd had a litter Thursday night, 3 normal colored ones and 3 white ones. Had to give one of the white ones CPR at birth, but he's doing fine now. One of the regular black and tan ones is having a hard time of it now, so I'm having to keep an eye on him, and being distracted. Yup, "him". For some odd reason, the entire litter came out male (as near as I can tell with puppies). Never saw that happen before, but I suppose odder things have occurred.

I've got a couple of models for DAZ Studio of "saber-toothed cats" for illustration purposes, but haven't got the textures for them worked out yet. The textures are for the likes of modern lions, and are 4000 by 4000 pixels in size - they look sort of like pictures of lion-skin rugs. The program wraps them around the model appropriately. My task there is to make the skin green with black stripes. Then I've got to work on the "fanged-ness" of the model. I've also got models thrashed out for neno, and BIAD, but haven't managed to get clothes for them yet. I'm working on a Silo model, but there again the clothes are a problem - I'm not quite sure what to put on Silo. I can work the hair on the BIAD model, but that Cheshire Cat grin just isn't happening for me. That'll have to be post-production work, assuming I get the production done!

The models can be posed and placed in DAZ (the program is somehow related to "Poser"), then exported for use elsewhere, but I've got to get 'em right in DAZ first! Also have the Dragon/Uktena that I posted a picture of before, but I'm not doing very well with cavern interiors... I might be able to thrash something out that one of you guys can Photoshop into a cavern. If that's something you'd like to try out, I can render them out on a solid white background to make compositing easier - just turn the white background into a transparent alpha-channel.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The basics of that particular notion is that after a while, neno and Silo notice that something about Sslar's speech mode bugs them (other than the given bother - that a big green tiger -striped cat is talking!) - and realize at some point that, inside the cavern, THEIR voices "echo", while Sslar's voice doesn't... ergo, the speech, while there, just ain't the normal mode of communication - it's directly in their heads, hence the lack of echo.

Very. Very. Cool.

As for 'weapons of unusual size' - I'd better not get into that right now, lol, I'm too tired = slap happy.

All male puppies. Wow... That is, well, unusual to say the least. You weren’t giving the mother Soya Milk were you? (Hold on I’ll dig out that post about soya milk and baby gender)...

Can you post the ‘almost’ pics of you’ve got - the Daz ones? I’d love to see them ‘in work’ and then after.
As for what Silo wears? Leather vests are all cool, arms bare. Oh wait, maybe you weren't talking fashion, lol.

Render away on that cool drag pic and I’ll see what I can do for a slimy stinky cavern wall, lol.

Sorry I don’t remember the ‘tree eating’ post.. Then again it’s 2315 for me and I’ve been up since 0400 this morning. I’ll probably re-write this whole thing tomorrow morning. :O

Please keep us updated on the puppies...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I've also been preoccupied lately with dogs. My German Shepherd had a litter Thursday night, 3 normal colored ones and 3 white ones. Had to give one of the white ones CPR at birth, but he's doing fine now. One of the regular black and tan ones is having a hard time of it now, so I'm having to keep an eye on him, and being distracted. Yup, "him". For some odd reason, the entire litter came out male (as near as I can tell with puppies). Never saw that happen before, but I suppose odder things have occurred.

With all that testosterone banging about in your lair... it was fairly guarranteed that the
young 'uns would be male!

It would not surprise me if they take on a greenish tint in their fur too!

Must get on.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I couldn't resist... sorry.
I stuck close to Neno's account of how it will pan out and I hope I haven't
put too much baggage in the way.
I thought the idea of the beast being able to pry out secrets of the mind may
be a way of bringing Silo13 back to the way she was or maybe it'll open up
some of Neno's past... either way it could help.

I was pondering on this as an image...?

edit on 29-6-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 235  236  237    239  240  241 >>

join