It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 235
<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
(And if poor Carpet will ever get to the point where he can alert himself somehow that he's holding back Dag's ponytail!)

Neno will no doubt notice a piece of his "baby blankie" holding back Dag's hair. Some things one never forgets, y'know? The question is, how confused will he be, and will he mention it? I mean, it's not EVERY foundling that has a blanket that talks to him.... or is it?

Coming home to read what you two have written after these long shifts this weekend has made the weekend bearable, and I thank you for it! While I'm out sneaking around in the dark, y'all have been BUSY writing!

Took my digital SLR camera to work to get some better shots of the ash pit, and they turned out OK - but the wind hasn't been kicking op enough lately to smooth it out, so the surface is a bit more "rough" than would probably be useable. Got a couple with a dandy spire in them. The infrared shots had somewhat of an other-worldly look, but the blasted camera puts a green tint to them, I reckon because starlight scopes have a green image, and most folks don't know that starlights are passive, not IR, so they did it for the effect, I'm guessing. Funny, all the greenery turned WHITE in infrared, and everything else took a green tint. Probably have to gray scale 'em to get any use at all, OR maybe gray scale 'em then colorize the grayscale to suit.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Hi Neno... I'm going to encapsulate some pagan stories from Europe and some
from your 'neck of the woods' and it may need some panel-beating!!!
So don't be offended if I use Native American and some stuff from over here on this
side of the pond.

I'm loving this!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
BIAD - Me too! (I am so psyched to see what Chumley is going to do when he sees Silo)!

Neno - I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures - and - to read what you're going to do about the little tuft of blanket.

I can just see you now trying to talk to it - when it's still attached to Dag's ponytail and Adam thinks you're whispering 'sweet nothings' to his girl... Hmmm, maybe she'll like it...

Evil grin...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Phew! that was a long 'un (aw heck, ah'm startin' to talk liker her now!!)
I was trying to connect all the little threads about these people, Silo
in the pod wears leaves in her hair -as does The Green Man of folklore.

The tall Carnival folk and Bigfoot (Rootak) and the Native American names
for the red man/woman spirit.
It's a bit cranky -I know, but it'll shake itself out I'm sure!

Hope it makes sense.

Edit: Neno... I too, am looking forward to see this barren terrain called
Hell Mines!!
edit on 24-5-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Hi Neno... I'm going to encapsulate some pagan stories from Europe and some
from your 'neck of the woods' and it may need some panel-beating!!!
So don't be offended if I use Native American and some stuff from over here on this
side of the pond.

I'm loving this!!

Nope, not offended in the slightest - that's pretty much how I was raised - Irish tales and Indian tales conflated together, because of the neck of the woods I was raised in. Settled mostly by Scot-Irish, taken over from the original owners, and all mashed together. My own ancestry involved O'Briens and McElwaynes (written on their tombstones as "Muckelwaine" - hence my surprise at "Mucklebones") Who were traders among the Lenape and Shawnees, and intermarried, and Meadows folks who intermarried with Cherokees a bit farther south - that's how a mongrel like me comes about.

Some of the stories are familiar to me, and some from across the pond were imported with their owners and became a part of the local lore. The Banshee or Bhean Side was one of them, in one form or another, as is the Black Dog (who my grandpa claimed to have encountered one night at a bridge - he WAS a mean old fart, but it may have been the whiskey just as easily...
). My grandma has claimed to have seen the Banshee more than once, usually as a ball of fire and always accompanied by a death.

I personally have seen strange things up in them woods. Once a "bigfoot" to coin a phrase, and one night I was walking the ridges and saw two glowing red eyes about 30 yards away, under the ridge on slightly lower ground, that looked to be about 8 or 10 inches in diameter each, and 3 feet or so apart. Never did figure out what it really was. I thought it might have been some sort of foxfire, but never saw it again on subsequent nights, so I really don't know what it could have been. Just a couple of red glows. I had no flashlight (never carried one - they ruined my night sight), so I never lit it up. Might be just as glad that I didn't

On the subject of "Green Man", "Rootak" or "Bigfoot", moist of my ancestry is Algonquian, Shawnee and Lenape, and the terms you used sounded more Iroquoian - I have no idea if they were Iroquois or not, since I don't speak it - was called "Msissingw" among my people. I never really broke down the word to it's parts, but "msi" (silent m, s pronounced as an "sh") means "big". He was alleged to be a "game keeper", looking out for the forest people and preventing overhunting and the like. The Lenape used to have an impersonator for Msisssingw who dressed in a bear skin and carried a turtle shell rattle. Used to scare the bejesus out of the kids with him and "helped" them behave.

The Shawnees were wanderers and fighters. Roamed all over the eastern US from Florida to Ohio and Pennsylvania, came originally from the Great lakes Algonquians. Closely related to the Sauk, Fox, and Chippewa or Ojibwa (Shawnee name for them was "Hocipwe", so it could go either way, "c" is pronounced as "ch"). Lots of tribes invited them to settle their borders as extra security in the buffer zones to prevent attack from hostile tribes. They had to get through the Shawnee first, which wasn't usually very easy. They were the last tribe in the east to counter white expansion there, which says something of their character. Anyhow, I mention that to explain how they came to "import" beliefs from several tribes. Msissingw from the Lenape Grandfathers, Giant Snakes from the Cherokee, stuff like that. "Uktena" is a Cherokee word for a Giant Snake. Cherokee legend says it was finally killed by a Shawnee warrior they had captured, to earn his "frreedom", who then became a Medicine man among them and settled there to be the Keeper of the heart of the Uktena he had killed. Long story, had to feed it blood periodically and treat it with respect.

Even now, Cherokees point out to a specific cliff on a river in western North Carolina, bordering East Tennessee, where they say the Uktena lived in a deep hole in a bend in the river. It's not too far from Fontana Dam. At the top of the cliff below a cave there are white streaks that the Cherokee claim are droppings from a Thunder Bird who lived in that cliff cave and was constantly at war with the Uketna who lived in the river below.

Shawnees recognized 4 Thunder Birds ( "The Truth Bringers" or "Truth Bearers"), one for each of the winds, and two different kinds of Giant Snakes - a "Giant Horned Snake" type and a "Giant Horse Headed Snake type. All lived in or near water, and one of the Giant Horse Headed Snakes was said to live in Lake Erie, where I understand "something" akin to the Loch Ness Monster" is seen sporadically to this very day. Another cognate between the natives and the European legends.

My dad swore, to the day he died, that in the summer of 1941, when he was 12, he saw several different times through the course of the summer the track of a Giant Snake in the dust of the logging roads in West Virginia where he grew up. He said it looked like someone had dragged a 12" or 14" stove pipe in a meandering course through the dust, and that from the tracks it was some sort of poisonous Giant Snake, a giant viper of some kind. I chalked it up to an over active imagination, but as I got older I found representations of a Giant Snake, sometimes in combat with a Thunder Bird in Hopewell and Adena carvings. The Snake shown was a Giant Rattle snake, with horns. Makes you wonder.

Around the turn of the century, late 1990's or early 2000's, I myself saw a giant bird twice in one summer in Rockingham County, NC. I lived alone in a trailer out in the middle of nowhere in the woods at the time, and saw it twice. I saw it once between the tops of some pine trees. Measured the distance to the base and triangulated, and came up with a measurement for the bird of 12' from wing tip to wing tip. It was solid black, or really dark brown, and had a heavy black beak similar to what one would expect of an eagle. I asked around, and the consensus was that it must have been a Golden Eagle, but they don't live around here, either, although we have a few Bald Eagles, and either sort max out at about 7' across the wings, just over half the size of the bird I saw.

There's "things" out there with some basis in reality, whatever it might be, and fairly frequently the legends of the Old Country and the New sometimes tend to overlap. Maybe I just notice it more than most because of my upbringings, but the correlations are there nonetheless, and I don't mind a mix and match a bit!

As an aside, in odd animal wanderings of late, I've seen an otter and an osprey in and around a pond of about an acre at work, neither of which should be there, as well as a Blue Heron, which is possible but rare in these parts. In Greensboro, NC, on the north side, right now they are looking for a bear which has been sighted in the city, which should not be there. Fish and Game says they don't exist here, but several witnesses say they DO. That's the second bear sighted in Greensboro since I moved to this area. Rockingham County is just to the north of Greensboro, and I've seen bear tracks where I lived on Jacob's Creek there, but again Fish and Game said I was nuts, since no bears live there. Oddly, they told me I wasn't allowed to kill it if I saw it (which I wouldn't have anyhow - but they didn't know that), to which I replied "how can I get in trouble for killing what doesn't exist?"

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Well... I think we should just pack up the story and have you account more of
your experiences out there in the wilds!!

I'm not kidding when I say that was fascinating and I -too belive there are things
'out there' that shouldn't be, if you go by what the regular folk say.

I've seen things that made me ponder if sometimes there's 'thin-parts' of realities
and things things slip through for a short time.
Maybe it's just a case of knowing what our world is really like... I dunno.

You MUST do some more soon!
Thank you Neno... truly.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Well... I think we should just pack up the story and have you account more of
your experiences out there in the wilds!!

They can be built in to the Opera fairly handily, especially at the moment, whilst the gang is telling Campfire Tales! Most folks thinking schedules get thrown off on weekends from partying, but mine gets thrown off from working long odd hours on weekends. Maybe I can throw one into the Opera when my thinker gets set right again.

I've seen things that made me ponder if sometimes there's 'thin-parts' of realities
and things things slip through for a short time.

I think you're on the right track there, and it appears THAT is going to factor into the Space Opera as well, since one theory goes that the thin parts of reality are more or less portals between the dimensions which occasionally thin to the breaking point, then repair a short time later. Tir na Nog, that sort of tale.

Thank you Neno... truly.

You're welcome! I can be a bit long winded, but I'm glad you liked it.

edit on 2011/5/25 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Neno! You bashed her in the head half way through the story! lol I'm surprised Y didn't leap up and cause a ruckus - or maybe he will. That just doesn't set right with him bashing old hags on the head!

BIAD I'm going to have to work in a little twist in. It's not come to me how to do it yet but since I've mentioned a few times already Gnarly is the Prince of the 'Culs' - (which can easily be an offshoot of the 'Carnivals) there's no going back now.

Neno There is no doubt in my mind there are 'things' out there none of us have ever seen, or if we have not many admit to. For one, here in Sicily, I have seen a black oily colored lizard - very large - three times now. It lives in the rocks. I've researched it forever and found NO reference to it anywhere in dictionaries, etc. When I mention it to, or ask about it here - asking the 'old timers' in this ancient town? People get VERY upset. I mean I've seen people turn white as over boiled pasta asking. So I've stopped asking. I'd give anything to get a picture of this thing but it always takes me off guard. I'll try to do a photoshop of it.

So yes, some creature big, some small, but, they are out there - of that there is no doubt, at least in my mind, and it sounds like neither you nor BIAD have a doubt either. Nice one that...

edit on 25-5-2011 by silo13 because: peace

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Neno! You bashed her in the head half way through the story! lol I'm surprised Y didn't leap up and cause a ruckus - or maybe he will. That just doesn't set right with him bashing old hags on the head!

Maybe he had something against "Oonawieh Unggi ", and thought she ought not to say much more about that? Or maybe he had something FOR her, rather than against her once upon a time....

Neno There is no doubt in my mind there are 'things' out there none of us have ever seen, or if we have not many admit to. For one, here in Sicily, I have seen a black oily colored lizard - very large - three times now. It lives in the rocks. I've researched it forever and found NO reference to it anywhere in dictionaries, etc. When I mention it to, or ask about it here - asking the 'old timers' in this ancient town? People get VERY upset. I mean I've seen people turn white as over boiled pasta asking. So I've stopped asking. I'd give anything to get a picture of this thing but it always takes me off guard. I'll try to do a photoshop of it.

So yes, some creature big, some small, but, they are out there - of that there is no doubt, at least in my mind, and it sounds like neither you nor BIAD have a doubt either. Nice one that...

I wonder if they're good eating?
How big IS it? Sounds like the locals may have some legends of ill fortune built up around it. Sounds like some sort of monitor lizard.

My dear old dad also told me one time about some critter he'd seen on River Mountain that he said looked sort of like a weasel or an otter, but was around 5 feet long, rolled when it walked with a "rolling" gate, and had SIX LEGS instead of four. Never heard any one else mention anything like it. Dear old dad was a hard drinker - up until he and I had some words over it once upon a time, from which point he never drank again - but he was as sober as a judge when he told me that, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I never saw anything like it, and I've stomped all over that mountain.

Once I saw what I thought was a big Black Angus cow amble out of the woods on all fours, into a clearing about a thousand yards away (I'd actually measured it out once for a fellow who erroneously claimed he could put a shot into a 4 inch circle at 1000 yards). Directly it shuffled along until it reached a tree, at which point it reared up against the tree, and I thought to myself "Self" says I "that ain't no cow, for they don't generally climb trees or stand on their hind legs" So I took off, rifle in hand, to see just what it WAS. When I got there, it was long gone, but had scratched the crap out of that tree, and stomped big old footprints all around the base of it. It was a BEAR, and a dog-gone big one to boot. had to be bigger than the average bear to be mistaken for a Black Angus cow. Most bears around there are only about the size of a really big dog. A big one will go about the size of a Great Dane.

You know, I've seen bears there several times, some with cubs, so I KNOW they live there, yet I've NEVER, except on one occasion WAY off the beaten track, seen any bear remains. That one time was a bear pelvis near the top of Clinch Mountain, off the track and deep into the woods. No other remains were present but that single pelvis bone. It sort of makes me laugh to think about that when folks claim there ain't no Bigfoot, since no bodies have ever turned up.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

... BIAD I'm going to have to work in a little twist in. It's not come to me how to do it yet but since
I've mentioned a few times already Gnarly is the Prince of the 'Culs' - (which can easily be an
offshoot of the 'Carnivals) there's no going back now. ..

No problemo!!!

(by the way, my brother-in-law is from Sicily... Bergio, I believe!)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I think it was inevitable that Neno would speak with his gun
and his heart than use semantics with the old bat!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Just couldn't bring himself to kill 'er, eh? Must be love, or something a lot like it...

Study time.

I was reading this thread at ATS, and came across this link in it. Seems like it might somehow factor in to the Space Opera, being speculated to be where another universe is "bumping into" our own. For "other universe" we can also read "alternate dimension" in the parlance of the vernacular.

The problem is, it's so dog gone far away that we'd likely never be able to get to it, and it's in the wrong direction from what has already been established for the Big Rip, which is considerably closer. This is where exotic physics and brainstorming come in. Might the Big Rip be a local manifestation of this distant "hole in the wall", somehow connected to each other by that "spooky action at a distance" theorem? Can action to close or hinder the Big Rip also affect this "thing" which might be the real menace?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Now that's one interesting thread...
I'm just reading it now.

Edit:
Well, this may be the soft 'bruise' or rip where somebody bumped
into us and just like bubbles sticking together, the skins where they
touch are different from other parts.
I'll have to peruse Tibbs's Big Book for further info.
edit on 25-5-2011 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
*Holding my breath*

Maybe this is a good time for the others to show up?

I hate fights! Especially when Neno and Y'lrang (gnarly spelled backwards, lol) started off on such a good note! All that male trusty stuff and all...

Maybe you'll just knock the stuffing out of each other - kind of a male bonding thing??? Ya know, a stalemate or something?

*RUNS AND HIDES MY HEAD UNDER A PILLOW* - like I did during scary movies when I was 10...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oh, I'm sure they'll sort it amicably!

Guys tend to do alot of posturing first... it's what our ape-ancestors taught us!!

Edt:
Oops! BIAD decided that if he had a nose, he's gone and stuck it into their
set-to!!
He's a strange one, he's now chasing moths around my garden in the twilight!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It's an old, old ritual, perhaps first recorded in the Epic of Gilgamesh or Bilgames of the Sumerians, where the hero, King Gilgamesh of Uruk had an encounter with Enkidu, wild man of the steppes, which began with a knock down drag out fight in the city near the gate, I believe, upon the entry of Enkidu after his "taming" by a lady of the night sent out for such purpose by Gilgamesh, and ending with a friendship that transcended even Death itself, recounted in "Gilgamesh and the Shade of Enkidu".

I know the ritual was still active in the early 70's, when I "bonded" with one of my best friends up in the mountains ( I believe he's still in jail at the moment, but I digress) in a two hit fight. I broke his nose, he broke mine, and we both sat down and bled a while. After that, it just wouldn't do for any one to jump the other, though, or they might have found themselves on the wrong side of the one as well.

Some times, two fellas just have to sort things out like two Bantam roosters figuring out the pecking order in the barnyard, and then all is well after that!

I did like the manner in which Y'lrang put up his dukes, and neno grinned and put his up. I can almost hear him thinking too loudly "Marcus of Queensbury? heh, heh, there's a surprise comin'!"

Yeah, neno probably doesn't have a clue what a "Marquis" is, and he probably don't much hold still for royalty no how...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

It always fetches a smile from the way you describe things and this morning
(4am) is no exception. I was going to do a 'Paint-Your-Wagon' type brawl in the
mud, but I felt that Hell Mines had seen enough blood and spit, so I had the
Femme-with-the-high-hem step in do his stuff.

It's all tied to what the Crone said... "he 'fixes' things and hangs around homes
in winter times'!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Paint Your Wagon brawl! OMDog you gave me goosebumps, lol. I was thinking of posting that last night - hoping it would turn out that way - but then I thought - 'Nawwww, nobody knows that fight scene...'

I should have known! LOL

And Neno you're right - sometimes guys just gotta be guys... I expect to hear sound effects like from the old Batman cartoons - 'POW!' 'BLAM' -

Edit to Add Just read the post... Bloodthirsty me, I'm almost disseminated they didn't go through that 'scene'!

edit on 26-5-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

My greatest acheivement will be to somehow get the dance sequence of
'Paint Yor Wagon' into the story... I can see Neno and BIAD dancing cheek-to-cheek
singing 'Hand me down that can if beans..!!'

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Good Googlymoooglin!

Now neno's gonna have TWO female ghosts on his six! I'll tell ya true, those female ghosts just won't never let a fella BE! I'd tell you another true story, that happened just last night (well, over the past week or so, but it took a turn about midnight last night), but it's still a bit fresh, and I think I ought to let it age some to get some perspective on it, but I'll tell you this much - it involved what was claimed to be another female ghost, who really ain't got no truck fooling around with me. There's others here who she needed to be checking up on, if that's really what it was!

Anyhow, what REALLY gets spooky here sometimes is the way one will have something on his mind and another will unknowingly write something related into the Opera. Makes you wonder about the "hive mind" some times.

What becomes of the two Silos now? we've got one on the hunt as a wraith, who will no doubt find us shortly what with space-time being the insubstantial thing it is for spirits, and one that is more or less a doppelganger for the first, yet unaware of her own past for the most part, even if she HAS a past! Heck, she might even be unaware of her own nature. Will the two merge back into one physical body, complete with Silo's new knowledge of the other side? Or without it? or will they remain separate as they are, with Silo1 haunting us and Silo2 confused as to who she is?

I'm staying tuned.... same Bat time, same Bat channel!

new topics

top topics

<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join