It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 222
<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Regarding the possible E-book, I asked BIAD about the idea and
I think he looks favourable on it.

It wasn't until a couple of minutes of thinking had passed -when he said
"throw a couple of pairs of nylons in and I'm okay with it!"

Man/girls...? what can I say?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Neonthtu held the shotgun through a false pocket of the black duster-coat and his thumb
reached and cocked the hammers, this began the Gunfight At OK Corral.

Yeah, that's what I'M talkin' about! One of the persistent rumors for years is that the sound of a gun being cocked is what set the whole powder keg off, and no one seems to be able to say who cocked it. BIAD here gives what seems to me the most plausible story I've heard so far.

As an aside, my very own highly stylish black trench coat has just such "false pockets" in it. They're actually access slots at the tops of the pockets so you can get to your pants pockets to fish out your car keys and what not. Since I don't drive any more, I've no need for car keys, but now I have a whole new use for those access slots, thanks to BIAD! Now to rig my shotgun on a cross-body sling so that it hangs under my arm under the trench coat....

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Regarding the e-book: for my part, I'm OK with it, no qualms at all.

Yeah, I’m great with the e-book as long as it’s cut paste and cut paste only (in my case). If others want Luder to edit their own work more power to them, that‘s their choice.

For me? One of the great beauties of the Space Opera is the little foibles we’ve all added - by intent or mistake - and from there watching our collective 'growing process' from start, to date. To ‘refine’ that? Sure, it would make for smoother reading but I’m afraid at the great cost of the Opera loosing some of it’s best flavor.

Added note:

As for people left in a 'poof' I was under the impression long ago Whisper might return as would Antar.
Beyond those two the 'others' have been dealt with in that they're dead or are being used (with permission) as NPC's (like Deson) or are being used as NPCs in the ongoing storyline of the 'cocoons/Deez'.

Anyone else that's left I was under the impression would be coming back to clean up their own storyline or wrote themselves out as the 'rules' stated...

Maybe I missed a few? EEEKKK!

peace

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

1) The fact of "hours spent" and "love" for this story. I didn't realize my contribution to the space opera was so marginal...

I never even hinted your input was any less important than the rest of ours.

the thought that I would try to take this thing and make it my own.

Luder, you came back and told us what you were going to do (editing the Space Opera) and that you were going to ‘chop‘ it up to make another drama and all without even asking the opinion of the other collaborators! I'm curious what you would call that if not ‘making it your own’?

I mean really - What other conclusion is there to come to when someone says:

'Oh Hi, I’m back and by the way I’m here to edit the Opera as I see fit and then I‘m going to ‘cut’ up the collaboration into pieces I do need - throw out the others I don’t - and then add another ending to a second version of the Space Opera and fix that all up too.' Again, all without even asking.

???

So, yeah, I stated my opinion of the E-Book, along with a hearty welcome back and a ‘if I can be of help’ and a compliment on the monumental task it would be.

Everything was great - until you posted this:

What I'm going to do with the "OF" version is cut out a lot of the side-plots and make it solely focused on the Yydryl, the Penelope and the fight against the Opiuchi.

‘Hostile’ came out. Sure it did. When you informed us, (instead of asking), what you were going to do... And that you were going to ‘cut’ up the Space Opera and make a number two drama from it’s pieces centering on the Ophi Wars. Yeah, that tweaked my hair trigger. But I'm getting redundant.

All in all it's truly a shame in your enthusiasm (?) you handled the situation poorly. And if you’d step back for a moment and examine your honest reaction if the situation were reversed I think you‘d understand where I‘m coming from.

E-Book? That’s fabulous. Just leave it up to others to edit their work as they see fit, or not.

For the ‘other version’ the one you will cut out material as you see fit?

It’s best I just give an example here.

Example: The best work this Collaboration has ever seen, in my opinion is what BIAD, Neno and CindyMars have done since BIAD joined. (For clarification please take note I did not include myself in the above)...

Much of the incredible fabulous work they’ve done has nothing to do directly with the Ophi wars.

So you’re going to cut all that?

That would be like editing Mozart and taking out the whole string section.

And to call another version of the Space Opera (without the above content) 'The Voyages of the Penelope and the Yydry' would be a travesty.

Luder - There's a way to salvage all of this. I hope you choose to take that rout as it would be truly a shame if you were not to stick around.

peace

edit on 1-2-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

As of now, the EBook project is still green. At least for the initial "as is" edit.

1) I'm not doing direct copy and paste of anything. A "literary treatment" gives it the look and revamp of a novel approach to the story. While everything everyone ever posted is in the story, it's edited to actually read like a story as opposed to the thread here. To copy and paste would look ridiculous.

2) In terms of our "evolution" as writers. That's great - and you can always go back and look at that evolution on this thread.

3) As it stands, of the 28 authors notified about this, Nenothtu, Slayer69, SeekerofAUTMN, badgerprints, Gorman91 and BIAD have agreed to the literary treatment to the collected story. Only one has offered up resistance and the others have yet to respond, if they even still monitor this site.

I refuse to do a copy/paste ebook. While I technically could, I won't publish that as a .pdf format when it's easy enough just to read the thread.

At risk of causing issues, I'm going to post a sample of what I have and link it in my next post.

If, after reading through what I've done - it's still a MAJOR problem to have the story actually written up as a story, then I won't publish either version to this site or anywhere else on the net for that matter. As I already stated, this was supposed to do the S.O. justice and give you all a look at what this would look like in an actual story format.

I'll keep you updated on the ebook as it goes along.

If no one likes what I have so far, let me know and I will refrain from mentioning it after today. But I'm too far along now to just stop, regardless.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
New post up.

A little more of CindyMars back story in this one, hope you all enjoy.

Oh, and whoever has some hints on refining 'text' in Adobe I'd love to hear them!

peace

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Top notch writing! The plot thickens, and all but crystallizes the notion that neno is going to do something unspeakable to fix the Bransom threat. The woman is sound more and more like a bull romping through a galactic china shop.

as far as refining text in Adobe, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I use Open Office to edit documents, change and adjust fonts and formatting, that sort of thing, and then there's a little one click button at the top of the program to output the document into PDF format after the edits and adjustments are done. Open Office is free, and can be found at OpenOffice.org .

If you mean handling text in Adobe Photoshop, I can't help. That would be BIAD's baliwick.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Thanks Neno

What I should have said was I'm having trouble keeping the clarity of text when changing the pic into a .jpg.
The 'Serendipity' text looked nice and crisp - until the .jpg change.
But I'm still in Adobe 6 - not that I know if that makes a difference or not. (?)

And yeah, I'm glad Adam didn't 'off' Bransom - can't wait to see what you 'do' with her.

peace

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Thanks Neno

What I should have said was I'm having trouble keeping the clarity of text when changing the pic into a .jpg.
The 'Serendipity' text looked nice and crisp - until the .jpg change.
But I'm still in Adobe 6 - not that I know if that makes a difference or not. (?)

And yeah, I'm glad Adam didn't 'off' Bransom - can't wait to see what you 'do' with her.

peace

For conversion to JPG's, there should be a "quality" setting in the jpeg options of whatever software you use. Higher quality settings reduce jpeg artifacts and improve the crispness and clarity of the final conversion, but at the cost of a larger file size. I usually keep thse settings around 90 or 95, but 80% might do nearly as well. For straight conversions from one format to another, I use Irfanview, and the quality settings pop up in an edit box when I save it. That assumes, however, that the original save in the production software was done at a high quality, or as a tiff or bmp. It won't preserve quality that's not there to begin with.

Oh, and keep in mind that neno knows nothing of Bransom's current escapades yet. As far as he knows, she's still cuddled up with Chumley, doing decidedly un-presidential things. He has no idea how far off the rails she's gone, or what she's become, and won't until he gets a report in the matter from the fist-hand witnesses. Her threat against SILO will be enough to seal her doom after that report.

edit on 2011/2/3 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Oh, and keep in mind that neno knows nothing of Bransom's current escapades yet. As far as he knows, she's still cuddled up with Chumley, doing decidedly un-presidential things. He has no idea how far off the rails she's gone, or what she's become, and won't until he gets a report in the matter from the fist-hand witnesses.

Sounds like you'll have to have a man to Chumley or man to Adam chat. Again, they're 'open agents' so do with them what you will... Oh and Dag too! Almost forgot her - I mean him.

And yeah, Bransom is on the war path, but, it isn't anything that needs to be addressed right now - unless you want it to be. You never know when her ugly head will pop up though...

Thanks for the info on jpg's - I keep my rendering (?) on highest and still get muddy text - but I'll look into the other info you posted and see what i can come up with.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
BIAD - Excellent conclusion to the OK Corral episode! You seem to have been rummaging around in my head again...

Earlier today, after I read the preceeding post, I thought to myself, "self'" says I, "It ain't looking good for neno - Death has got a 'death wish' for 'im".

Then, mulling it over as I made my third pot of coffee for the day, I recalled something my own dear pappy told me once, and this is Death's own truth - he flat out said to me that he didn't know if I'd ever make heaven, but he didn't worry about me so much because I was so mean that hell wouldn't have me. Something about a fear that I'd take over. Now this was when I was a lot younger, you understand, before age mellowed me...

Anyhow, I didn't throw that out earlier so as not to influence things, but it turned out about like I'd hoped it would.

You should really stay out of my head - it's dark and scary in there!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Thank you for the praise.. I knew I would have to stick to detail!

It's a good thing when a yarn can recall memories... it makes us wiser.
So now it's yourn turn!
I'm a stranger in a strange land -when it comes to interacting with other
members of this story, BIAD will again step back and allow the bad-tempered
man with the lop-sided grin take point.

Tibbs says 'Hi'!

Onwards.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
BAID and Neno, as I said before I’ve no problem with either of you using any of the characters I’ve been ‘behind’ in the cabin.

Please let me know how you want to handle three writers in one scene. I’ve noooo idea but I’m up for whatever you decide.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hi Silo... this isn't a sly manner to save myself any typing, but i would love
to read YOUR 'entrance of Neno, BIAD and Tibbs from outside.
What do you think?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

BIAD,

Wow, I dunno what to say - I've not received any 'inspiration' for it yet... I'll think about it today and see if anything comes up.

I'd like to try but for the moment I'm clueless, lol!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Ok, I had two hours of wood-chopping and stacking to wait for 'inspiration'. And I got it!

Though there is very little dialog that I 'spoke' for you, and Neno would you like me to post the post HERE first and get your OK for the small dialog and the story line? (It's basically just a situation of getting off on the wrong foot, easily 'fixed' by whoever wants to pick up the storyline from here)...

What say you two? I'll wait until I hear from you both.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I for one, have no problem with you taking the reins and hammering a
a couple of episodes out!
Feel free to just place iot on the thread (in my view!)
BIAD.

EDIT: Hope you like pic!
edit on 7-2-2011 by A boy in a dress because: left 'lippy' in Edit Room.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

iot

I don't mean to be numb, but, what is 'iot' that I should put on the thread?

Sorry

And I just clicked over to the thread - LOVE the pic!!!!

Second Edit: I don't mind doing this one, but, I'm going to need help on the next ones or better yet leave them up to you two - you work togetehr so well and it's such a fun read! Plus, lol, I've NO idea how we're going to get back to the Yydryl - I was in hopes you two could figure out a way???? Hope Hope???

edit on 7-2-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry... a type-o, it should hace said 'it'

Thanks,
BIAD

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Ok, I'm feeling a little timid about this.

I'll post this here and see what you two think. Let me know (I have NO Problem at all re-writing)...

I'll edit as needed.

(TEMP POST 126)

The stench all but forgotten Adam and Dag grouped with Chumley next to the bear skin rug where Milli waited patiently for Squatch who‘d gone into hiding.

‘Did you really see something out there?’ Adam whispered through the corner of his mouth his eyes never leaving the picture windows.

‘I was sure I did.’ Milli piped up ‘But then the wind started and now with the white out...‘ Milli’s voice trailed off. ’You did notice a storm had hit, right?’

‘No, actually I hadn’t’ Adam replied no time for embarrassment. Holding out his hand for the others to ‘stay’ he crept closer to the window growing more unnerved by the moment. The snow squall was beyond anything he’d ever imagined it’s flakes driven sideways by a harsh wind and Adam could just barely make out three shapes just off the deck. They didn’t seem threatening, but he couldn’t make out their race or what weapons they might be holding either.

‘A-Dam, we can’t leave them out there! Please Sir, they’ll freeze!’ Dag begged from behind Adam trying to force his way under the big man’s arms so he could get a better look.

‘We can’t just let anybody in! They could be armed, or were sent by Bransom!‘ Adam answered harshly. ‘What if they followed out teleport trail?’ Adam turned to Chumley.

‘I go. I check.’ Chumley grumbled his voice hoarse from crying.

‘Well, you can’t just walk out there without wearing some kind of protection!’ Milli warned clearly wanting to go with Chumley. ‘Wrap the bear rug around your shoulders, it’s the only thing in the cabin that will fit.’ He added hastily but for nothing, Chumley was already pulling on the bearskin wearing it’s snarling mouthed head like a hat.

‘You two, guard Silo. She get hurt, you get hurt.’ Chumley’s promise leaving Adam and Dag a little taken aback at his threat, but then Chumley was a Regalian something Adam had forgotten in all the beings sniveling over Silo. At the moment with three unknowns outside the door he found the reminder comforting.

‘Arm yourselves...’ Chumley pointed to the fire irons before he eased his tentacle over the doorknob easing it open ever so gently. The cold whipped into the room like a wrath.

‘On second thought maybe I should stay here...’ Milli added clearly having second thoughts about going out in the storm.

‘You come, we go.’ Chumley stepped out into the cold giving a Regalian battle cry and commanding whoever was out in the snow not to move.

The three hadn't seen him coming. They hadn’t seen anything at all but sheets of frozen white and their own foot prints in the rising snow. Distracted by the cold, the storm, they’d yet to get their bearing when the Regalian bellow reached them causing them all to jump in place.

Neno, free from his long black duster raised his weapon aiming it in the direction of the howl. BIAD, wearing Neno’s duster against the cold stood in place one finely clad foot raised in in the air, the other sunk stiletto deep in the freezing snow. Tibs - his beard already streaking with ice guarded the baggage, hiding behind it to keep it safe.

‘I coming! I find you! No ssssshoot! No attackkkk! PEACE!’ Chumley bellowed his teeth already clacking in the cold.

Neno, gun still raised curled his shoulders and backed into BIAD shielding him from whatever was coming their way.

Then they saw it. Taller than a mountain fir, wider than the valley, a snow covered bear with a growling grin perched on the top of something huge and green breathing steam like a dragon.

What happened next was no more a mistake than a reaction, no more a reaction than fate.

Neno shot Chumley.

Actually Neon didn’t do the shooting, Neno’s gun did. Still smoking from being fired repeatedly under the hot noon sun in the West in contrast to the below freezing temperatures high in the mountains of Oregon was too much for the revolver. It’s metal constricted, the fire pin stuck true, the report of the gun barely heard over the howling storm.

Startled at the kickback in his hand Neno swore and watched with BIAD as the great green and brown bear began to tumble backwards in the snow not a yard in front of them. Tibs was no where to be seen but their baggage shook like igloos in a earthquake.

Neno swore again, ‘Well I’ll be-deee-amned. Never a misfire in my live long life until...’

‘I’m Hit! AGhhhhhhh!’ Came a woeful scream interrupting Neno.

All thoughts of safety aside Neno lurched forward through the snow trying to catch the bear clad Regalian as he went down. There was something awfully familiar about the giant and when he got close enough to see his features Neno knew he’d been right. No one could forget Chumley of the Yydryl once they’d met him.

‘Chumley! What in the sam-hill are you doing here?’ Neno yelled over the wind. ‘BIAD! Find Tibs and get inside I know this one!’

‘Neno?’ Chumley rocked to his knees with the help of the U-Man. ‘The Neno? Neno the Vandal U-Man? Pennelope U-Man?’ Chumley grabbed Neno in a huge hug the bear head bouncing up and down on his head. ‘NENOOOO!‘ Chumley hooted in pure pleasure. ‘Come! We go inside! You freeze your goons off out here. I freeze my goons off out here!’ Chumley all but lifted Neno out of his boots dragging him towards the cabin.

‘But Chumley! I shot you!’ Neno blustered unable to believe Chumley could walk much lest lift him after being struck. Neno knew the kind of tunnel his sidearm carved through flesh.

‘No, you shoot bear!’ Chumley laughed a full throated laugh so glad was he to see the Vandal.

Slipping and sliding their way onto the deck and up into the cabin BIAD had never felt anything so heavenly as the warm air radiating from inside, Tibs, unwilling to be left out in the snow overcame his apprehension and followed the rest into through the door right into the mouth of the welcome heat.

Adam hadn’t heard the shot, but he heard the howling.

‘I’m shot! I’m shotttttt! Oh aghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!’ Milli moaned dramatically from the back of Chumley who unceremoniously dropped the bear rug to the floor in a hump telling Milli to get over it. The rug immediately began to thaw leaving a growing puddle on the hardwood floor.

‘Shot?’ Adam’s mouth dropped open unable to take his eyes off BIAD who’d removed Neno’s coat and now stood shivering in a bright red dress, Neno his revolver in hand and Tib’s his nose in the air trying to see under his fogged up glasses.

‘Yeah, shot.’ Neno smiled a crooked smile and shrugged his shoulders looking down at the revolver in his hand like it had a mind of it’s won.

‘Aaaaaa-Dam look!’ Dag dragged out Adam’s name in wonder. ’It’s so beautiful!’ Dag crept forward big violet eyes as round as saucers taking in every inch of the red dress and it’s wearer timidly reaching out to touch BIAD as if he was a splendid dream that might too soon disappear.

‘DAG!’ Adam shouted and grabbed Dag’s shoulder harder than he’d intended in his concern for the boy. Dag yelped.

Neno, all smiles gone raised his revolver slowly looking Adam squarely in the eye. ‘Take your hands off the girl or my next shot won’t be a mistake.’ Neno’s gaze didn’t flinch as Adam’s eyes widened over the misunderstanding his hand frozen in place.

Neno’s locked eyes with his adversary the battle of wills begun. Adam didn’t look away, didn’t even blink but Neno didn’t see fear only a growing incredulity crossing the other man’s features. Little did Neno know that for the first time since Adam had gained full power of his ‘gift’ - it now failed him - Adam could read nothing behind the eyes of the Vandal. Neno credited the man’s expression to the revolver pointed squarely at his chest.

BIAD, unable to stand two showdowns in one day stepped forward and raised one beautifully lacquered fingernail placing it delicately on the front site of Neno’s gun pushing the tip down and away from the startled Adam.

‘Too much testosterone...’ BIAD shook his head at the men then turned to the adoring Dag his blood red nail pointed up under the boys chin gently raised Dag’s face. ‘But not too too much testosterone eh boy?’ BIAD said with a wink at the smitten Dag.

edit on 7-2-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join