It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 214
<< 211  212  213    215  216  217 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I'd hoped to use the Abraham for a character named Adam and his sidekick Dag.

Adam was actually the character someone else was going to 'take' but had to bow out before they even arrived on the Working Thread. Then I saw your Ship and here you are.

My point?

You're welcome to Adams part, but, please do not feel confined to it.
You don't have to take a part already created, you're welcome to create your own character and join whatever Ship you'd like, the Penelope or the Yydryl - or join your own ship for that matter, I don't think there's anything in the 'rules' that state you can't bring another Ship to the Opera.

The problem with a new Ship is the story line. To stay in sync with the story line you'd have to go back through a lot of writing and do a lot of reading... Again, your choice.

Also, please get a feel from the other writers opinions about another Ship. It's obviously not only my decision, far from it.

I'd still like to use one of your Ships for Adam (who's currently headed for the Yydryl to check out a LAB experiment on the loose) - but - that's all your call.

Welcome aboard again

PS - If you choose to take the part of Adam it might actually fit in with your schedule. There shouldn't be much for him to do right off, and, later when you have time you could develop a story line for him.

For the moment he was just going to go to the Yydryl, check on the 'experiment' and then... Well we'd go over that in U2U not to give away the whole surprise.

peace

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I've no problem with a new ship in the mix, if you want to go that route. You'd have to come up with a backstory for that one, though, so we can integrate it into the existing story. The positive part of that is that what has been written so far isn't necessarily a barrier to someone else just now coming in. They wouldn't necessarily have to know the story line, especially if they aren't aligned to begin with. or example, they wouldn't know of the budding alliance between the Penelope and Yydryl, wouldn't necessarily know any of the history of either one, might not even know of the destruction of the Earth, or even really care.

They could be entirely alien, or from a civilization outside the mainstream of the BigTwo, where news doesn't travel fast. They might not even know the Buzzards are on the warpath. The possibilities are literally limitless. Signing on as being from one of the two main civilizations already present would necessitate SOME foreknowledge, but again they could be from somewhere "out there" where news travels slow.

A good background primer for the UEF is here.

A couple of questions about the Abraham:

Why does the Quantum commo only work in hyperdrive, and radio the only fallback out of it? Distances seem more problematic outside the bubble than inside it.

When the windows are closed for combat operations, is it proper to assume there is some sort of external video fed to an internal viewscreen for orientation purposes?

neno is in the market for a new boat, since his old one got all blowed up, and then captured by Studious, but his pockets are inside out at the moment (glad he finally GOT some pockets, though!), so he'll probably have to go a-pirating before he can afford a new one.

NOT gonna cozy up to President Bransom just on the off chance he can get government funding!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

That was a cool read.

What I was thinking about was that my ship is an accident. A traveler from another universe that got sucked in. Perhaps a mix up between a wormhole and the ship's gravity generators. They ship's crew does not know. The point is this, the ship got here. Seeing as they are all alone and no idea how to get back, they have to get themselves refocused. The ship is open for anyone to use as they hold no aggressions to anyone.

The ship WOULD be from their own universe' Earth. For this ship, it's only 2090. It was built in 2072 as a bid from the World Union to show the people of Earth and her colonies that the World Union was for, not against, human expansion. Since the development of the first working warp systems in the 2050s, the World Union highly regulated and controlled anyone and anything leaving space. Earth is this advanced so young because they, too, had a WW3. But where as in this universe people destroyed themselves and rebuilt, in this universe many military leaders organized to form the World Union charter to end the war before is consumed the world. And this war was a bit less "global" and more sectional, with global conflicts across the Earth, not one conflict with all the nations. This, plus a short WW4, also known as the World Union civil war, accelerated humanity's technology.

Anywho, because Earth has discovered hundreds of planets, but only authorized colonizing some 12 or so, humanity is a bit upset. the MSEV program was to build the first Manned Space Exploration Vehicle, as it was controlled by unmanned variants. The Abraham was the first in 2072.

Being teleported into this universe by unsure circumstances, they know are doing just as their title explains. Exploring.

This allows for several tie ins for several things if you guys like the idea:

- Not sure about who this Adam guy is, but if he's human and a new character without much background, he could be an agent from the ship, scouting for what is out there before he returns to the ship to give the all clear.

-The ship would be happy to help anyone in need. If a character needs a ship, they can be that ship. They want to learn. And money is not exactly something they are use to, seeing as they are government funded from where they are from and have all their financial needs covered.

-The ship provides a chance for a "new face" of humanity, showing her enemies just how different and diverse the human species can become if left to develop independently. I mean,t he ship has totally different systems, event totally different FTL methods. It shows that humans works with what they have and are not defined by one person.

-A chance for this universe's humans to learn about a whole new timeline and what was different.

And anything else you'd like to look into.

If you'd like, maybe not from another universe so much as another galaxy. A cloned galaxy. A Milky Way 2. Like this star trek episode:
memory-alpha.org...(episode)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

- Not sure about who this Adam guy is, but if he's human and a new character without much background, he could be an agent from the ship, scouting for what is out there before he returns to the ship to give the all clear

Well, I guess that leaves Adam out.
Here's a link to his intro - first post on this page: Adam.

No problem, I'll keep him on a back burner for a bit...

Anyway, that doesn't rule out you building your own character and coming into the story that way.
In fact it might be better as Neno pointed out.

All fresh and clean and you don't have to follow anyone else's story line (though I'm sure you'll do your best not to conflict with the past story line as It's already been written)...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

peace

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Workers excavating the World Trade Center site have unearthed the 10-metre hull of a ship believed to have been buried in the 18th century.
link

Don't tell me that's where Cadbury's been!

I mean we knew he was a baddy, but this!

I can't wait to hear more of that story line... (Cadbury)...
I know! I'll put it on my Christmas list!

(Gently with the hints gracie...)

peace

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Well I mean there's nothing preventing this Dag from contacting the ship. These two, do they have any side they are on? or are they independent contractors?

Anywho, I'll start working on a kind of comic book few pictures for their "arrival" into space. If there's any good locations you think they should arrive at, do tell.

Also this ship is kind of based on the Normandy from mass Effect. Of course there is tons in that series I want to change. However, if you want a loose idea of this ship and if it's the kind of "fast two seater" you'd like, watch this:

FYI, Spoilers if you've never played the game. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to make scenes like these.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Gorman91]

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Why did I miss these questions? lol

Why does the Quantum commo only work in hyperdrive, and radio the only fallback out of it? Distances seem more problematic outside the bubble than inside it.

Quantum communication works anytime. it's an "off the grid" communication that cannot be tapped into. Unless... You get a spy on and add your own molecule, entangle it with the ones in the ship, then take the entangled molecule with you to listen in. That is one of the benefits of it. The only way you can actually hear it is on-site sabotage. You cannot hack into it.

When the windows are closed for combat operations, is it proper to assume there is some sort of external video fed to an internal viewscreen for orientation purposes?

When the ship is in combat operation, the windows sink into the the hull and the hull moves over them. In this method, site is from scanners. Though most of the time it is via scanners already. Windows serve one purpose really. Keeping the crew from going insane by making them know there is an outside. All methods of sight for the people on board are usually done by machine and scanners. For the sake of security against "phantom targets" added in by hackers, windows can also serve the purpose of making sure its really there. visual cameras too, yes.

neno is in the market for a new boat, since his old one got all blowed up, and then captured by Studious, but his pockets are inside out at the moment (glad he finally GOT some pockets, though!), so he'll probably have to go a-pirating before he can afford a new one.

Come on board. But don't steal the ship. That would be bad. Like all ships from their universe' Earth, the has bio scanners. A sudden departure of the crew causes the ship to lock out. Trying to drive it unauthorized while in lock out sets the decompresser off. If you're a robot, the ship's cyber warfare systems will attempt to hack into you and turn you off. If all else fails, guess you won.

NOT gonna cozy up to President Bransom just on the off chance he can get government funding!

lol, good thing the ship has its own funding. Bad thing they don't have it anymore.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Well I mean there's nothing preventing this Dag from contacting the ship. These two, do they have any side they are on? or are they independent contractors?

LAB is a sketchy place, but, for now LAB is a 'place'. A huge place. Vast even. Where lots and lots of experiments are done. Kind of a 'mad scientist universe' in the galaxy (I forgot the name of the exact galaxy nut it's in the story line way back)...

It's been lightly hinted LAB is government funded, but, remains independent at the same time.

A.D.A.M is employed by LAB and tied to it - tightly - as is DAG.

They are already on their way to the Yydryl to deal with Silo so that's kind of set in stone.

Now about your Ship and your character.

How do you plan to come into the story?

Are you going to go looking for Neno?

What's your character going to be like? I can't wait to hear!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I was thinking a kind of "don't cross the streams" event with my ship making a boo boo in an experiment, causing the ship to somehow get popped into the scene of your story.

I could bring in an enemy with them, just to spice things up. The "great evil" perhaps. Perhaps later.

The crew I am drawing up. It's only about 20 folks on the ship and I have no idea how to do that, or if its just the captain out on a joy ride and he's the only one who came through the crack in space. It would be easier to have a skeleton crew probably.

The crew is the ship's second crew. The ship had a first crew that moved on to bigger and better things. My character, I guess I would like to be a Marine of sorts. If its only one guy with the ship and he screwed up, then he's some kind of mix between Indiana Jones, Daniel Jakson, and Gordon Freeman. He's a military expert, but also an intellectual. He's dug up ruins, smuggled contraband, gotten in trouble with the law, hired by the law, seen a war or two and blown up a space station once or twice. If I can have two characters like your dag and adam, his friend would be his smuggling partner.

I like the Idea of a kind of duo team of moral righteous outlaws who were hired by their Earth to perform an experiment on the ship, but they messed up and wound of at this Earth. A team of two men out to learn, discover, help, and get home. A two man army with a ship to get them where the need.

Personally I can't decide between a full manned ship on an experiment gone wrong pr a two man team taking the ship out on the experiment and messing up. I think I'd go with the two men because its easier. Tell me what you think. I'll go start drawing some stuff in the mean time.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Anyway, that doesn't rule out you building your own character and coming into the story that way.
In fact it might be better as Neno pointed out.

All fresh and clean and you don't have to follow anyone else's story line (though I'm sure you'll do your best not to conflict with the past story line as It's already been written)...

If he drops in from an alternate universe, or an alternate timeline, he really can't conflict with the past story line in our universe, since his history will necessarily be different in some respects from our history. In that case, all the fun will be in the misunderstandings of all of us not knowing what we THINK we know at all!

His history will be just as 'real' to him as ours is to us, and it will make for interesting interplay - sort of like the "Hey, when I woke up this morning, NZ was on the wrong side of Australia!" thread at ATS. The biggest obstacles will be his crew having to relearn a whole new universe, and our crews having to figure out these quirky 'foreigners' who seem not to understand the universe at all!

All in all, I sort of like it. Since we're already dabbling in other dimensions and alternate universes, I think that would probably be a better choice than the Milky Way II galactic clone.

Sort of a Titoresque thing, with worldlines that diverged several hundred to a couple thousand years ago. Do you reckon the Abraham may have an IBM 5160 aboard?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Yes that was my exact sentiments. Who am I to bounce in and change things? It is far better to bounce in and use this as a plot term to learn. As the crew learns about where they are, so do I. In a sense, the ship would be my Character, but I'd prefer to identify with maybe 2 fellows. Their entire existence would be just to examine the place they have ended up and the desire to get home. They will have to make deals, learn, discover, and maybe eventually find a way home. The idea of one of their enemies lugging along with them, and their entry into this universe being the attempt to use a secret technology to get out of doge also introduces the possibility that they cause problems that have to be solved. They'll have a responsibility to defeat their enemy that came along for the ride before they leave.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Come on board. But don't steal the ship. That would be bad. Like all ships from their universe' Earth, the has bio scanners. A sudden departure of the crew causes the ship to lock out. Trying to drive it unauthorized while in lock out sets the decompresser off. If you're a robot, the ship's cyber warfare systems will attempt to hack into you and turn you off. If all else fails, guess you won.

Nah, he won't steal your ship. His 'ethics' are a bit hard to figure out for most folks, and appear to be almost completely 'situational ethics', but there are some things he won't transgress against. He's a wary sort, but won't attack unless aggressed against, or threatened. Then the opponent is fair game.

He's 'defensive', but sometimes offensively so.

The basic ground rules here regarding your 'crew' is that YOU are your own main character, but you can make up as many incidental characters as you like to interact with and control the actions of. Sometimes, those characters will meet a horrid demise at the hands of another writer, like several members of neno's security staff have done. If you develop a particular attachment to one of these 'NPC's' you've created, like Luder's Teresa, or Studious's wife, or Neno's Lt. James, or cindymars's elves, or Silo's Chumley, drop a note in the working thread here, and the rest of us won't kill 'em off.

A "fast two-seater" you say? nenothtu's "StarWolf" was a 3 seater, but he only ever had one fanny to plop into a seat at any one time (now, thanks to BIAD, he wouldn't stick to the rich corinthian leather upholstery!). He used it for a scout ship, and stealth recon, and was the only occupant when he got it all blowed up at the hands of the Buzzards. Crew area on it would only hold 7 or so.

Have you got actual 3d models of your ships, in .3ds or .obj, or like formats? Those would be handy for Celestia renders (in space), or Terragen renders (on planets).

Don't bother looking for neno just yet. We seem to be in yet another alternate universe, and I'm not sure how we'd get an entire ship back to our own once we find the way out.

[edit on 2010/7/15 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

lol. So for my ship to get in now and come along for the ride would essentially be needing island hopping to get back. oh wells. Draw I shall.

Basically there's only 4 characters I care about on this thing. the science officer, the 2nd in command, and the two soldiers. They are the only ones from the original crew of the Abraham still serving. They returned to the ship to see the stars more before they retire.

Ok, so I will draw this out now. They will be on their way soon enough. I suppose my character will have to be that soldier who's a multifaceted skilled man. due to the isolationist tendencies of this Universe's humans he and his army friend will probably be the most ones out the the ship.

As you can see from the picture of the ship, it is a 3d model.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

lol. So for my ship to get in now and come along for the ride would essentially be needing island hopping to get back. oh wells. Draw I shall.

No, you can drop into the 'home' dimension, universe, or timeline at any time, but right now, I think only Silo (and possibly Luder and Studious... Wheeere arrre youuuu?) are there.

Basically there's only 4 characters I care about on this thing. the science officer, the 2nd in command, and the two soldiers. They are the only ones from the original crew of the Abraham still serving. They returned to the ship to see the stars more before they retire.

Got it. I don't see ANY of your crew getting killed off in the foreseeable future, though.

Ok, so I will draw this out now. They will be on their way soon enough. I suppose my character will have to be that soldier who's a multifaceted skilled man. due to the isolationist tendencies of this Universe's humans he and his army friend will probably be the most ones out the the ship.

'Multifaceted'. Sounds like what we always called the 'unit scrounger'. Could find nearly anything you needed. Drop him in the middle of a desert, and within 2 hours he had a case of beer and a girl on each arm - and no one EVER knew where on Earth he found them out there...

As you can see from the picture of the ship, it is a 3d model.

Cool. We'll talk, maybe negotiate some things for Opera illustrations. Those have turned out to often be as collaborative as the writing, as in the case of the illustrations of the battle with the Buzzards. I did the basic renders, Silo did the post-processing with the specatcular effects. Unfortunately, I'm crap with modelling, so haven't really got any original ships, although I've got a couple still in reserve that haven't been used. I've still got one of Deson's ships that hasn't been used, and a model of one of his fighters that lost something in the format conversion process. Deson did the model for the L2 Space Station we used.

I've got a couple others from "out there" on the 'net that haven't been used, either, but nothing other than Deson's work that's original to the Opera.

I use Celestia to render the space shots, by writing a custom '.ssc' file to position the ship object. Catch is, it has to be .3ds or .cmod format to use in Celestia. That's where I lost the Deson Flyer, in the conversion from Bryce to .3ds.

Still working with terragen and terragen 2 to get it right. That program requires .3ds or .lwo, so .3ds is the common format between the two. terragen seems to be having trouble rendering surfaces of the objects I add, though. Once I scrounge some tropical foliage for it, I'll be set and can concentrate on working out the kinks in the ships surfaces.

Celestia can be downloaded (it's free) here

Terragen can be downloaded (free with restrictions on render size and terrain size) here

I've got the unrestricted version of Terragen, but not Terragen 2, since I'm still trying to get over the quirks and intricacies of the interface before I plunk down the bucks on it.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm reading your poss and just shaking my head.

Honestly, I can't wrap my head around alternate universe things.

For some reason my head just doesn't want to 'get it.'

I'm not sure I even understand it at all actually, so, I'll have to leave it up to you to to help me along here.

In the mean time I've got a post ready for Adam and Dag to move things along a bit.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Multiple universes are like a bunch of fish tanks in grid in 3d. If you punch hard enough on the glass, you fall into the next one. Only difference is the glass is elastic for a universe, and always expanding, until theoretically they stretch so far that matter itself can no longer exist and so falls in on itself, causing a new fish tank. lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Think of it like this:

You have a particular patch of ground. The dimension, or timeline, or whatever, 'splits' into two identical (initially) places, but in slightly different dimensions. They are initially identical (except for the minor difference that cause the 'split' to begin with), and 'side by side'.

As time passes for both dimensions, each changes a bit at a time in it's own dimension, based on certain occurrences and decisions. maybe in one, a house is built on that patch, and in the other, that patch is flooded to produce a lake. The ground started out the 'same', but as time goes on, those individual changes peculiar to each accumulate, and they go from 'side by side' to 'further apart' - they get more different with each minor change.

So then, while it's still the 'same' place, but in separate dimensions, the history of events that occurs in each one produces different results, resulting in an 'alternate reality', no less real, but isolated from each other by the dimensional boundaries.

Does that help in the visualization at all?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Ok you two - yes - your explanations helped - though it's going to take some time to sink in.

But (isn't there always a 'but') - BUT - Does that mean there are two (or however many) 'yous and mes'?

Gawd I tie myself in knots keeping tack of just me! Now me, and you all are going to be multiplying by twos and all at the same time?

LOL

This is gonna be fun!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Ok you two - yes - your explanations helped - though it's going to take some time to sink in.

But (isn't there always a 'but') - BUT - Does that mean there are two (or however many) 'yous and mes'?

Gawd I tie myself in knots keeping tack of just me! Now me, and you all are going to be multiplying by twos and all at the same time?

LOL

This is gonna be fun!

There are, according to this theory, multiple instances of each of 'us', but each is confined to his own universe, so we don't really have to keep track of each one, just the one in 'our' universe that concerns us.

Don't know how Gorman91 will handle the 'him' already present in 'our' universe. There are lots of possibilities:

1) He runs into himself here, but circumstances have cause him to turn out to be an entirely different sort of person.

2) The 'him' from this dimension had to get 'pushed' into another dimension (his old one? one where he didn't exist at all?) in order to maintain balance.

3) 'He' never came into being in this dimension at all, because his great, great granddad got killed in a farming accident, and never met his great, great grandma.

Just a few possibilities out of many.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Actually I learned a very interesting thing. If you had 2 universes and one man met himself in another universe, he may not technically be himself. because in the past he may have eaten different foods and water sources. So while the universes might be totally identical, because one of the same man ate differently, he is made of different molecules from different sources. he is technically different!

new topics

top topics

<< 211  212  213    215  216  217 >>

join